ADVERTISEMENT

Our QB position next season

Exactly, I think getting a good backup will be the hardest job, no way Boley can be the backup in year 1. You sell a kid from a smaller school on being one play away from being an SEC starter!
I'm sure there is a competent group of 5 QB in the MAC or CUSA who'd love to spend a year or 2 living large at an SEC program. Who knows they will be a practice player, starting their coaching career. A Sawyer Smith type.

Reactions: rudd1
We will see. As far as his abilities as a passer I saw at least three this year in Kentucky that were better. His downfield throws are just put up for grabs, and his sideline throws are just floaters that hang in the air way too long, which is why Mayfield took two of them to the house on him. Instead of highlights why don't you go watch some full game film on him. Sounds like you may have been the one taking some hits on the ol' hopium pipe watching him play. I hope he does develop into a star for UK, but at this point I'll be surprised if it happens.

Speaking of Kentucky QBs, UK needs to get on Zane Johnson from Trinity like yesterday.
Pretty sure Brohm will have that kid on lockdown in the near future. We would likely be...
iu

I would put Vandagriff to UK at about 90% right now.
Oddly getting a high quality starter seems to be a much easier job then filling out the room.
I mean no QB worth anything wants to come here and hold a clipboard for a year or two.
No QB worth anything wants to be holding a clipboard ANYWHERE. It's why the QB position is one of the most active portal positions each year, and why guys like Vandagriff are willing to look at schools now that they wouldn't have even considered during their recruitment.

He has sat 3 years, he isn't going anywhere he hasn't been assured he is going to play. He isn't transferring to sit another year.
Pretty sure he has preparing himself for the NFL on his mind. Hope he is able to achieve his dream and be the No. 1 pick in the 2026 NFL draft. 😁

Reactions: Ky grandpa
The depth now will most likely be with plenty of eligibility who aren't in a rush for playing time.

-High school...Boley
-Lower tier P5 or G5 freshman who wants an SEC sniff
-Maybe an athlete/wildcat type who's willing to play another position

Very unlikely to get anyone with any legit reps/experience to come hold the clipboard.

Highly talented QBs didn't want to play in the Gran's 65/35 run pass offense. There's no opportunity to develop into an NFL QB in a system like that. Since Coen arrive and installed the pro style offense the QB recruiting and portal has been vastly different, landing two extremely talented HS QBs, and possibly on the verge of landing the highest ranked QB out of the portal 2 years in a row.
Yes. People on here bitching and moaning about play count don't get it. QBs are coming here to play in a pro system. If they only get 55 snaps a game instead of 60, they don't care.

yea I mean people are saying Vandagriff has 2 years of eligibility left

but if uses both those years, that means he either got hurt or he sucked as our QB.

I would hope Stoops is selling a quality QB on being the man the following year

Let’s assume Vandergriff comes in and plays well and stays for 2 years. That would mean that Boley starts his RS sophomore year for a couple of years. Then Saunders won’t play until his RS jr year. No way that happens

The depth now will most likely be with plenty of eligibility who aren't in a rush for playing time.

-High school...Boley
-Lower tier P5 or G5 freshman who wants an SEC sniff
-Maybe an athlete/wildcat type who's willing to play another position

Very unlikely to get anyone with any legit reps/experience to come hold the clipboard.
True but it does happen. Ole Miss brought in Spencer Sanders from Oklahoma St to back up Jaxon Dart in '23. Sanders threw for almost 10,000 yds and nearly 70 TDs as a Cowboy. Crazy.

True but it does happen. Ole Miss brought in Spencer Sanders from Oklahoma St to back up Jaxon Dart in '23. Sanders threw for almost 10,000 yds and nearly 70 TDs as a Cowboy. Crazy.

That's wild. There's got to be more to that story.

They either lied to him and told him he was going to play, or there was just a bag of money too good to pass up even if it meant sitting that OSU couldn't match...or something else...who knows...

Reactions: mrschwump
Didn't Boley get a Bama offer which should make him legit to be able to play in the SEC?
I know the landscape has changed and it's a one year proposition each offseason, but at some point, don't you have to show consistency with who you bring in as a freshman?
Bama and Auburn both offered.

The upside is great. But he turns it over a lot at the high school level. The 247 page says he's thrown 20+ INT's since moving to Varsity.

I went watched him vs Mayfield, and he had an awful night. Two Pick 6's, a 3rd INT, a fumble lost. The two pick 6's were dangerous throws that he floated.

He's got probably a couple of years to clean it up. I'm rooting for him to be a rock star.

The upside is great. But he turns it over a lot at the high school level. The 247 page says he's thrown 20+ INT's since moving to Varsity.

I went watched him vs Mayfield, and he had an awful night. Two Pick 6's, a 3rd INT, a fumble lost. The two pick 6's were dangerous throws that he floated.

He's got probably a couple of years to clean it up. I'm rooting for him to be a rock star.
If Vandergriff stays 2 years and Saunders is good, Boley will never play at UK

Reactions: Cats192

but if uses both those years, that means he either got hurt or he sucked as our QB.

Well that sure is an opinion

Did Carson Beck suck, he is all signs returning for a 2nd yr as Georgia starting QB instead of going NFL? Same for Ewers at Texas? Was Oregon pissed Nix apparently sucked since he returned fir a 2nd season? Penix at Washington?

NFL really doesn't like drafting QBs with only 1 season of starting experience, kid. Vandergriff is on the Levis 2 year starting plan, and it ain't because of any planned sucking.

Reactions: Seakat311
So Beau is coming home? And why would he now if Vandergriff has been handed the starting job?

Saunders has only thrown 15 picks in 3 years of varsity,, only 5 each season.. Had only thrown 3 this year before getting to playoffs..

Well that sure is an opinion

Did Carson Beck suck, he is all signs returning for a 2nd yr as Georgia starting QB instead of going NFL? Same for Ewers at Texas? Was Oregon pissed Nix apparently sucked since he returned fir a 2nd season? Penix at Washington?

NFL really doesn't like drafting QBs with only 1 season of starting experience, kid. Vandergriff is on the Levis 2 year starting plan, and it ain't because of any planned sucking.
ok good to know

Well shoot, down to Duece and Shane for now as qb's.

I'd be surprised if Deuce stays; there's a possibility that he goes small college route, as this next year will be his last chance. He's 23 now, and will be 24 during the next football season. He seems like a really good dude too (I have met him once, but I know people who know him well - he goes to a church near campus - He leads Bible studies with the team).

I mean, I'm sure there's a world in which he comes out and kills it and the NFL comes calling.

But there are lots of very good college QB's that wind up being late round picks, career backups, go undrafted, etc.

I mean, I'm sure there's a world in which he comes out and kills it and the NFL comes calling.

But there are lots of very good college QB's that wind up being late round picks, career backups, go undrafted, etc.
yep - no argument, I just thought coming from Georgia , but you guys are right

I'm sure there is a competent group of 5 QB in the MAC or CUSA who'd love to spend a year or 2 living large at an SEC program. Who knows they will be a practice player, starting their coaching career. A Sawyer Smith type.

-this is the correct answer.

^it's like a lot of folks don't actually follow college football/know how it works.

Reactions: JHB4UK
We will see. As far as his abilities as a passer I saw at least three this year in Kentucky that were better. His downfield throws are just put up for grabs, and his sideline throws are just floaters that hang in the air way too long, which is why Mayfield took two of them to the house on him. Instead of highlights why don't you go watch some full game film on him. Sounds like you may have been the one taking some hits on the ol' hopium pipe watching him play. I hope he does develop into a star for UK, but at this point I'll be surprised if it happens.

Speaking of Kentucky QBs, UK needs to get on Zane Johnson from Trinity like yesterday.
You can forget ZJ. He is a lock for u6 unless JB falls flat on his face. Be shocked if UK even gets a sniff.

if u want a leader a stetson Bennet type leader whos accurate passing and can read defenses and unflappable get the qb from Mayfield Zane cartwright.He has all the intangibles to be a geat qb.look at his last 3 or 4 games in his leading Mayfield to the 2a champioship through LCA(cutter Boley) and beechwood and ownesboro Catholic with Brady Atwell.Zane is a cool customer!!!

You can forget ZJ. He is a lock for u6 unless JB falls flat on his face. Be shocked if UK even gets a sniff.
If in 3 yrs he wants to play in an ACC without FSU & Clemson then he hasn't much of a competitive spirit and thus is no loss

If in 3 yrs he wants to play in an ACC without FSU & Clemson then he hasn't much of a competitive spirit and thus is no loss
I agree that things could change in a heartbeat and our coaches will surely stay in the hunt. Gonna go watch hom play next.

Pretty sure Brohm will have that kid on lockdown in the near future. We would likely be...
iu
Yeah it certainly looks that way at this point, but we still need to put some effort towards him. First freshman to ever start at QB for Trinity at least as far back as I can remember, and their season really turned around when he took the helm. Can only imagine that he will have every school in the country after him by the time he graduates.

Last edited:
Vandagriff would likely be the starter.

I don't expect Sheron to leave. Everything I've heard from those in the know, Sheron wants to be a coach someday and is trying to soak in as much from Coen as he can. I may be wrong but I expect Sheron to be a serviceable backup for the next two years.

Boley will be 3rd string, and honestly I'll be surprised if we ever see him start for UK. Kid just doesn't have it. I've watched him probably 10 times total the last two seasons and other than being tall he just doesn't have the skills to be a starting QB in the SEC. I expect a year, maybe two and then he transfers out.
Swing and a miss. Aged like milk is an understatement. 🤣

Pretty sure he has preparing himself for the NFL on his mind. Hope he is able to achieve his dream and be the No. 1 pick in the 2026 NFL draft. 😁

Maybe he will, he wants to play and I don't blame him. Stockton was pushing him for the backup spot, even if Beck left he wasn't a lock to start at UGA. He's a threat to run, big arm, got a little hitch in his motion that slows his delivery down. But that is a bad habit that can be corrected. There isn't a downside to him physically, but no idea how he sees the field or reads defenses which is the difference in being good or not very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT