ADVERTISEMENT

Our QB position next season

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
Let's say we get Vandagriff in the portal.
Destin Wade is leaving.
If Kaiya Sheron leaves it's getting pretty slim.
Concerning the comments made by Wades Dad. Do you put any credence in them at all ? Nobody is objective about their own kids in sports. Nobody.
The kid was not even second string. I will be real curious where the twins end up going.
But depth at QB looks to be a real concern for next season.

Reactions: Wildcatedward
I think even if we don't get Vandagriff we will be ok. I think Sheron just needs reps to be a solid player. He isn't Levis but I think he could surpass Leary if given playing time with the 1st string and actually allowed to throw the ball down the field. 2nd, we will have a freshman Boley behind him that could be almost ready to turn loose since he will be be enrolling in the spring and go through all those reps with the 1st and 2nd team. I'm not sure about a 3rd guy at this time. I don't think Wade was ever in the picture and if truth be known he was recruited as an athlete rather than a quarterback. I read on some post that he was thought to have been better on the defensive side of the ball.

I think even if we don't get Vandagriff we will be ok. I think Sheron just needs reps to be a solid player. He isn't Levis but I think he could surpass Leary if given playing time with the 1st string and actually allowed to throw the ball down the field. 2nd, we will have a freshman Boley behind him that could be almost ready to turn loose since he will be be enrolling in the spring and go through all those reps with the 1st and 2nd team. I'm not sure about a 3rd guy at this time. I don't think Wade was ever in the picture and if truth be known he was recruited as an athlete rather than a quarterback. I read on some post that he was thought to have been better on the defensive side of the ball.
Do you think Sheron stays ?

Destin Wade is leaving.
Concerning the comments made by Wades Dad. Do you put any credence in them at all ? Nobody is objective about their own kids in sports. Nobody.
The kid was not even second string. I will be real curious where the twins end up going.
False. My kid would be all/pro now but for his stupid pee wee coaches. Objectively factual.

Cutter Boley enrolling in Jan will go through Spring. A transfer (likely Vandergriff but not done yet) will enroll and go through Spring. If Sheron were to leave no doubt we go get another arm from the portal, probably a group of 5 guy who can accept it is only as a backup.

Vandagriff would likely be the starter.

I don't expect Sheron to leave. Everything I've heard from those in the know, Sheron wants to be a coach someday and is trying to soak in as much from Coen as he can. I may be wrong but I expect Sheron to be a serviceable backup for the next two years.

Boley will be 3rd string, and honestly I'll be surprised if we ever see him start for UK. Kid just doesn't have it. I've watched him probably 10 times total the last two seasons and other than being tall he just doesn't have the skills to be a starting QB in the SEC. I expect a year, maybe two and then he transfers out.

• Haha
Reactions: Ky grandpa
Boley will be 3rd string, and honestly I'll be surprised if we ever see him start for UK. Kid just doesn't have it. I've watched him probably 10 times total the last two seasons and other than being tall he just doesn't have the skills to be a starting QB in the SEC. I expect a year, maybe two and then he transfers out.
Kid has an arm. Just from watching 3 mins of film can tell you that...Cross field.. downfield.. off the back foot... sideline throw.....bama, ole Miss, tenn, Oregon, Michigan..... alot of high profile offenses beg to differ....just turned 18 this summer.... high jump, triple jump and long jump in HS.... Not a bad athlete at all.....

Not sure what you are smoking when you attend these games, but hope you are not driving afterwards.

Cutter Boley enrolling in Jan will go through Spring. A transfer (likely Vandergriff but not done yet) will enroll and go through Spring. If Sheron were to leave no doubt we go get another arm from the portal, probably a group of 5 guy who can accept it is only as a backup.
Hogan's still around as is walk-on Hamm.

Reactions: plumdog69
Destin Wade is leaving.

Considering the quote from his dad also said Keaton didn't play enough, I would not put much credence in his comments at all.

Kid has an arm. Just from watching 3 mins of film can tell you that...Cross field.. downfield.. off the back foot... sideline throw.....bama, ole Miss, tenn, Oregon, Michigan..... alot of high profile offenses beg to differ....just turned 18 this summer.... high jump, triple jump and long jump in HS.... Not a bad athlete at all.....

Not sure what you are smoking when you attend these games, but hope you are not driving afterwards.
We will see. As far as his abilities as a passer I saw at least three this year in Kentucky that were better. His downfield throws are just put up for grabs, and his sideline throws are just floaters that hang in the air way too long, which is why Mayfield took two of them to the house on him. Instead of highlights why don't you go watch some full game film on him. Sounds like you may have been the one taking some hits on the ol' hopium pipe watching him play. I hope he does develop into a star for UK, but at this point I'll be surprised if it happens.

Speaking of Kentucky QBs, UK needs to get on Zane Johnson from Trinity like yesterday.

• Haha
No offense. If Sheron is qb1 we are beyond screwed

Well he wont be qb1 for us. Hes in the portal
Which means Stoops will have to find multiple QBs in the portal this time. Based on what I hear, Will Howard and Will Rogers are not coming to UK. Vandagriff may actually happen although lots of schools want him. If it gets beyond Vandagriff, then it's a shooting gallery and Coach Coen's powers of persuasion will be tested. With Sheron, Wade, and Hogan gone, we need two more transfer QBs this time regardless of how many nice things any of us can say about Boley.

Reactions: screwduke1
Does Sheron leaving mean we are DEFINITELY getting Vandegriff???

You would have to think so now.

Vandergriff has 2 years of eligibility left. They needs to find a grad transfer from a smaller school to come in for depth or somebody with 3+ eligibility left to come in to “compete” with Vandergriff and be a stop gap between him and boley/Saunders.

I wouldn’t give much credence to the Wade’s complaints. If the coaches specifically promised to get Destin on the field rather than just a chance to earn a spot, then yeah, they shouldn’t have done that, but I think the staff deserve the benefit of the doubt here. The dad’s comments pretty well spell it out that benching Leary and giving Destin some starts at QB this year was the only thing he would have considered a fair shake, and that’s just not reasonable based on all available evidence. A lot of schools allegedly weren’t even recruiting him as a QB, and his performance in the bowl game last year quite frankly showed us why.

All the transfers do leave us in the unenviable position of essentially having to build a QB room from scratch though. You don’t really want to rely on a true freshman who isn’t a generational prospect at that position, but as mentioned above, nobody good is going to want to transfer to be the backup. We’ll have to hope we can land a legit starter and that they stay healthy, because depth will definitely be a concern.

Which means Stoops will have to find multiple QBs in the portal this time. Based on what I hear, Will Howard and Will Rogers are not coming to UK. Vandagriff may actually happen although lots of schools want him. If it gets beyond Vandagriff, then it's a shooting gallery and Coach Coen's powers of persuasion will be tested. With Sheron, Wade, and Hogan gone, we need two more transfer QBs this time regardless of how many nice things any of us can say about Boley.
I would put Vandagriff to UK at about 90% right now.
Oddly getting a high quality starter seems to be a much easier job then filling out the room.
I mean no QB worth anything wants to come here and hold a clipboard for a year or two.

Oddly getting a high quality starter seems to be a much easier job then filling out the room.
I mean no QB worth anything wants to come here and hold a clipboard for a year or two.
If there is a clear path after Vandergriff, Boley may well sit for a year or two and step in as QB1. That would be NORMAL for most programs and let Saunders do the same.

Vandagriff would likely be the starter.

I don't expect Sheron to leave. Everything I've heard from those in the know, Sheron wants to be a coach someday and is trying to soak in as much from Coen as he can. I may be wrong but I expect Sheron to be a serviceable backup for the next two years.

He has sat 3 years, he isn't going anywhere he hasn't been assured he is going to play. He isn't transferring to sit another year.

So, in two years Boley will transfer too because Stoops will be looking into the portal to get someone else. This crap is getting old. I'm ready for an offensive minded coach who will develop his own group of quarterbacks and won't have to rub the genie bottle to get a quarterback to come here! Geez!!!

Vandergriff has 2 years of eligibility left. They needs to find a grad transfer from a smaller school to come in for depth or somebody with 3+ eligibility left to come in to “compete” with Vandergriff and be a stop gap between him and boley/Saunders.
Sawyer Smith was a decent pick up a few years ago from Troy as a serviceable back-up. Would be great to get someone like that.

How can anyone determinie who is a servicable back up at UK, Stoops never plays them. If I was Boleys dad I would have tried to get him to sign somewhere else. He will never start for UK. Our coaching staff has decided to go wirh veterans in the portal rather than actually developing a freshman. This has worked( kind of) the last 3 years as our portal guys havent been seriously injued. When it happens,and it will we will be screwed.

• Haha
Exactly, I think getting a good backup will be the hardest job, no way Boley can be the backup in year 1. You sell a kid from a smaller school on being one play away from being an SEC starter!

Yep, just saw that. What does Stoops have against Kentucky born quarterbacks? I mean he brings them here and then they just sit! Sick of this crap!
My guess is that KY doesn’t produce a ton of SEC-level QBs. And the ones we have recruited/signed from KY didn’t pan out for one reason or another. And it’s hard to say that Stoops has something against KY-born QBs when we have a highly rated one signed for next year.

Continue on though. I’m sure your “Stoops doesn’t like KY-born QBs” stance makes a lot more sense.

My guess is that KY doesn’t produce a ton of SEC-level QBs. And the ones we have recruited/signed from KY didn’t pan out for one reason or another. And it’s hard to say that Stoops has something against KY-born QBs when we have a highly rated one signed for next year.

Continue on though. I’m sure your “Stoops doesn’t like KY-born QBs” stance makes a lot more sense.
He keeps signing them but they never see the light of day. Why sign them in the first place?

He keeps signing them but they never see the light of day. Why sign them in the first place?
I’d guess some on potential hoping that they could develop in 3 years, some simply as back-ups, and some that he thinks will be starters relatively quickly, like the kid coming next year. QBs are a crap-shoot outside of the top 5 or 10 each year, and the state of KY rarely produces one of those.

Would you rather Stoops turn a Levis or Leary down in order to play a KY kid who will likely be a lot less successful? Would that make you think he has less of a bias?

Highly talented QBs didn't want to play in the Gran's 65/35 run pass offense. There's no opportunity to develop into an NFL QB in a system like that. Since Coen arrive and installed the pro style offense the QB recruiting and portal has been vastly different, landing two extremely talented HS QBs, and possibly on the verge of landing the highest ranked QB out of the portal 2 years in a row.

It sounds like Beau Allen may be coming back home. That would be good news if true, as he is probably about the most serviceable QB we could hope to find to come sit behind Vandagriff.

Didn't Boley get a Bama offer which should make him legit to be able to play in the SEC?
I know the landscape has changed and it's a one year proposition each offseason, but at some point, don't you have to show consistency with who you bring in as a freshman?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT