ADVERTISEMENT

OT- What is the most unbreakable individual record in history of sports?

To me the only one totally out of reach is Pistol Pete. Any of the professional records, there's always a possibility, but anyone good enough to break Pete's record won't stay long enough to do it.

I still admire the records set by players like Cy Young(esp. the 789 complete games) and Ruth. They weren't just leading the league, they were on a totally different plane than other players.

Btw as far as records established in my lifetime, the amazing one that is being overlooked is Ripken. Not his game streak, but the streak of 8,264 consecutive innings played. Over 5yrs and did not even sit out an inning!

Streak ended after batting in the top of 8th inning, his father(manager) took him out of the game in which they were losing 17-3.
Father was asked after the game as to why he took him out and his reply was something like "what do you think he could have done, hit a 20 run homer?"

Last edited:
On top of most of baseball's goofy 100-year-old stuff, I'll add a big chunk of Gretzky's scoring/assist numbers.

I'm not a hockey guy, but for reference sake, the last person to score 140 points in an NHL season happened in 1995. If someone did that for 20 years, they still wouldn't pass him.

Only two other players in the history of the league have scored more than 150 points in a season. He did it 9 times. He's the only guy to get to 200 in a season and did it 4 times. It would be like if Barry Bonds averaged 90 homeruns for a decade.

Gretzky finished with 2,857 career points (894 goals plus 1,963 assists), which is the most all-time. Second all-time is Jaromir Jagr with 1,921 points.

So even if Gretzky had never scored a single goal, he still would’ve finished with the most points in NHL history.

For me, that was always the part that best highlighted how absurd his numbers were. And that’s without even considering the fact that Jagr played in about 250 more NHL games than Gretzky.

Top of the list, for baseball anyway is Cy Young's career totals for wins(511), innings pitched(7335), and an amazing 749 complete games.

Pitchers rarely even win 20 games these days, even the top pitchers. To break that record you would have to win an average of 20 games per year for 25 straight years, then win 12 in your 26th season.

Reactions: SuporChin
MLB: Nolan Ryan's 7 no-hitters and 5714 K's, Pete Rose 4,256 hits
NBA: Wilt Chamberlain 118 50-point games
NFL: Jerry Rice 22,895 receiving yards
PGA: Tiger Woods made 142 straight cuts
ATP: Roger Federer 237 consecutive weeks ranked #1 in the world
Swimming: Michael Phelps 23 Olympic Gold Medals
NHL: Wayne Gretzky 2,857 career points

Reactions: TheThack
Joe Dimaggio's 56-game consecutive-hit streak.
To put it in perspective, for the past 3 years, several Houston Astros players knew the exact pitch that was coming, and none of them could still sustain a single-game hit streak close to what Joe Dimaggio did.

I'd have to agree. Let me add two others that are unlikely to ever be broken: (2) Ted Williams was the last player to bat .400 and ironically did it in the same season as Dimaggio hit in 56 straight games. I don't think any player with 450 at bats or more will bat .400 again; and (3) Jussein Bolt's records in either the 100 or 200 meters of 9.59 and 19.19 respectively. I'd put Chamberlain's 100 points in a game just behind those records because I do think on one crazy night someone will go off and become unconscious and score 100 points, especially with the 3-P shot now in NBA basketball which it wasn't when Wilt set the record.

Reactions: G0BigBLUE00
31 lengths.
Think about that for just a moment.
31 lengths!!

Secretariat won the Belmont by 31 lengths!
Here, allow me to say that again.

Thirty - One - Lengths!

In a Triple Crown race, no less!!!
Big Red dominated that race!!!

Me thinks that will never be broken. And I'm only considering Triple Crown races: Derby, Preakness or Belmont.
Not talking about some generic 7th race on a Thursday afternoon at Churchill in the middle of June.
Talkin' about the Triple Crown.

31 lengths!!!

Go Big Red!!!

I don’t think these stats will ever be matched again. 31 wins, 28 complete games. unreal.

Denny McLain Stats 1968

Year
W L ERA G CG ShO IP BB SO
1968 31 6 1.96 41 28 6 336 63 280

Last edited:
31 lengths.
31 lengths!!

Thirty - One - Lengths!

Me thinks that will never be broken. And I'm only considering Triple Crown races: Derby, Preakness or Belmont.
Not talking about some generic 7th race on a Thursday afternoon at Churchill in the middle of June.

31 lengths!!!

Go Big Red!!!
Secretariats win at the Belmont was the greatest performance of any athletic of all time.

31 lengths.
31 lengths!!

Thirty - One - Lengths!

31 lengths!!!

Go Big Red!!!
Yep but the time, that time will never be broken. Horses are bred differently today and he was a freak of nature then. He also holds the time record for all 3 Triple Crown races (tied in the Preakness). He's had them for almost 50 years...in the Belmont he accomplished what athletes strive for - perfection. We won't see it again.

I am talking a single league, no stat mixing from different leagues and of the 6 major US sports at any level college and above.

Basketball, Football, Baseball, Golf, Hockey, Soccer

Individual records for a player.

If you want to share a crazy team record, that is cool too.

For me it is Pete Rose all time hit record. It is astonishing how many hits he racked up and over 3 decades...goofy. It will NEVER be touched.
I have a still frame picture up at my Dad’s of Rose’s 4,192nd hit. I also have a team picture of the Big Red Machine’s 8 starting position players at Riverfront. Two of my most favorite possessions.

Top of the list, for baseball anyway is Cy Young's career totals for wins(511), innings pitched(7335), and an amazing 749 complete games.
Sorry, but no. The answer to this question is ALWAYS Johnny Vander Meer. Every record will fall, every nation will crumble, every galaxy in the universe explored, before an MLB pitcher throws 3 no hitters in a row.

Sorry, but no. The answer to this question is ALWAYS Johnny Vander Meer. Every record will fall, every nation will crumble, every galaxy in the universe explored, before an MLB pitcher throws 3 no hitters in a row.

Yeah if ONLY that happened. It didn't. I could see it being tied. Back to back no hitters has almost happened since JVM. I can't remember who it was(maybe Verlander) but I think someone had a 7 or 8 inning no hitter going after pitching one the previous game.

Last edited:
Yep but the time, that time will never be broken. Horses are bred differently today and he was a freak of nature then. He also holds the time record for all 3 Triple Crown races (tied in the Preakness). He's had them for almost 50 years...in the Belmont he accomplished what athletes strive for - perfection. We won't see it again.
You're exactly right BigBlueFanGA. Couldn't agree more. Horses are bred differently today.
Big Red holds the record for all three Triple Crown races......that in and of itself is absolute perfection!!!

I have a still frame picture up at my Dad’s of Rose’s 4,192nd hit. I also have a team picture of the Big Red Machine’s 8 starting position players at Riverfront. Two of my most favorite possessions.

I was at Riverfront on Sept 11, 1985 as a 5yo with my mom and dad. Pretty cool to have been able to experience that history live and in person though my memories are very vague.

Funng thing is, flash forward 30+ years later and come to find out my since retired boss (one of the coolest people I know) was also at that game and was about 35yo....small world.

Reactions: blubo and KopiKat
Yeah if ONLY that happened. It didn't. I could see it being tied. Back to back no hitters has almost happened since JVM. I can't remember who it was(maybe Verlander) but I think someone had a 7 or 8 inning no hitter going after pitching one the previous game.
Umm . . NOBODY has ever pitched 3 no hitters in a row . . . and that is precisely the point . . . . Because THAT is what is would take to break Vander Meer's record: 3 consecutive no hitters.

Yeah I knew about JVM's back to back. I misinterpreted what was meant by 3 times. No I don't believe anyone will throw 3 in a row, but I think back to back would be possible. However slight.
Good to go . . indeed, slight . . . As in less often than once every century and a 1/2.

Reactions: JRCAT14
I was at Riverfront on Sept 11, 1985 as a 5yo with my mom and dad. Pretty cool to have been able to experience that history live and in person though my memories are very vague.

Funng thing is, flash forward 30+ years later and come to find out my since retired boss (one of the coolest people I know) was also at that game and was about 35yo....small world.
That’s awesome! Even though you +1’d me. [laughing]

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Ted Williams reached base in 84 consecutive games in 1949. Nobody will ever do that again.

And Connie Mack's managerial records are totally out of reach. 3731 - 3948 over 50 years. That's more than 1,000 wins over second place (John McGraw, 2763-1948) and 1868 wins more than the current active leader, Dusty Baker.

Umm . . NOBODY has ever pitched 3 no hitters in a row . . . and that is precisely the point . . . . Because THAT is what is would take to break Vander Meer's record: 3 consecutive no hitters.
Excuse me for not understanding. I agree about 3 not happening. Good one to point out. I just think 2 in a row is more achievable than CY's records. A lot of people have mentioned several good ones. I
I was thinking about Gretsky, but I didn't think about Secretariat.

Ted Williams reached base in 84 consecutive games in 1949. Nobody will ever do that again.

And Connie Mack's managerial records are totally out of reach. 3731 - 3948 over 50 years. That's more than 1,000 wins over second place (John McGraw, 2763-1948) and 1868 wins more than the current active leader, Dusty Baker.

Yeah Votto did 40 something several years back and I thought that was nutso.

Reactions: J_Dee

I used to go to a lot of Reds games back in the day. Got to see that 90 World Series team several times actually. I would’ve been four in 1985, so we weren’t going then. Hell, I think we were in Colorado Springs in 1985. Dad was in the Air Force. That’s cool, though, I figured we were close in age.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Excuse me for not understanding. I agree about 3 not happening. Good one to point out. I just think 2 in a row is more achievable than CY's records. A lot of people have mentioned several good ones. I
I was thinking about Gretsky, but I didn't think about Secretariat.
The discussion is about breaking records, not tying them.

I agree about Cy Young, but think there needs to be a separate category for pre-1920 records.

But I disagree with the many people picking Rose's hit record. Why? In one sense, it has already been shown that it can be broken. I'm referring to Ichiro's combined record of Japanese and US hits. Let me be clear: ICHIRO DID NOT BREAK ROSE'S MLB RECORD.

But he shows it can be done: Ichiro's per-year hit totals in Japan were less than his totals once he moved to the US. In nine seasons in Japan he had 1,278 hits - an average of 142 hits a season. He was already nearly 28 when he came to the MLB, and got more than 3,000 hits after that.

It isn't hard to imagine a player coming up in the MLB who averages more hits than Ichiro's 1,278 in his first nine years, then matches Ichiro's MLB career for the rest of his time -- especially in a world where the DH would potentially extend a pure hitter's career.

Last edited:
Cy Young's win total in MLB. No one is getting close to that.

In modern times, I think DiMaggio's hitting streak is pretty safe too and with the use of shifts Ted Williams .400 season.

Without a doubt its this. Rose's hits are impressive, but that can go down. Ichiro had over 3,000 in MLB and another 1,300 or so in Japan. Not saying the quality of play is as good in Japan, but someone could take that record down. No one will even come close to Young's 500+ victories. That is truly untouchable

Reactions: J_Dee and JRCAT14
The Johnny Vander Meer record was the first that came to mind, but there are some great ones mentioned in this thread! I always try to think of the more obscure records that just happened out of extremely rare chance and situation, rather than ones that the majority of athletes are trying to reach. For instance, Tony Dungy once played in a game where he intercepted a pass on defense while also throwing two interceptions playing QB for the Steelers. I wonder if any other football player has done that before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT