ADVERTISEMENT

OT- What is the most unbreakable individual record in history of sports?

I used to go to a lot of Reds games back in the day. Got to see that 90 World Series team several times actually. I would’ve been four in 1985, so we weren’t going then. Hell, I think we were in Colorado Springs in 1985. Dad was in the Air Force. That’s cool, though, I figured we were close in age.

Ha, yep we sure are. Unfortunately, I fell asleep during game 4 of World Series in '90 and missed the ending!

I do remember that playoff run for sure. The series with the Pirates was incredible.

My dad and I went to every opening day from middle school until I went away to college. I was on front row of dugout the day John McSherry died in 1996. That was really sad to see in person and I can vividly remember it. Coincidentally the Cats won their first title of my and your lifetime on that very same day.

I am a big Reds fan and hope we are turning a corner this year...made some great moves in the offseason.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Gretzky finished with 2,857 career points (894 goals plus 1,963 assists), which is the most all-time. Second all-time is Jaromir Jagr with 1,921 points.

So even if Gretzky had never scored a single goal, he still would’ve finished with the most points in NHL history.

For me, that was always the part that best highlighted how absurd his numbers were. And that’s without even considering the fact that Jagr played in about 250 more NHL games than Gretzky.

Lemieux actually averaged a higher ppg for much of his career but could never play a full season. It wasn’t until he came back from retirement the second time did his ppg drop below Gretzky’s.

ofcourse longevity and durability are essentially skills for athletes as well. And that’s ultimately what separates Gretzky from Lemieux(fair or not, Hodgkin’s lymphoma is just really unlucky). But as far as actual on ice production Lemieux was his equal.

Lemieux is 8th all time in scoring in the nhl and played in at least 400 less game than anyone in front of him. 500+ less than Gretzky and over 800 less than jagr, messier, Howe and Francis.

Reactions: JRCAT14
I agree about Cy Young, but think there needs to be a separate category for pre-1920 records.

But I disagree with the many people picking Rose's hit record. Why? In one sense, it has already been shown that it can be broken. I'm referring to Ichiro's combined record of Japanese and US hits. Let me be clear: ICHIRO DID NOT BREAK ROSE'S MLB RECORD.

But he shows it can be done: Ichiro's per-year hit totals in Japan were less than his totals once he moved to the US. In nine seasons in Japan he had 1,278 hits - an average of 142 hits a season. He was already nearly 28 when he came to the MLB, and got more than 3,000 hits after that.

It isn't hard to imagine a player coming up in the MLB who averages more hits than Ichiro's 1,278 in his first nine years, then matches Ichiro's MLB career for the rest of his time -- especially in a world where the DH would potentially extend a pure hitter's career.

It is hard for me to imagine. Ichiro was an amazing player. He was also part of a different generation of hitter....he was almost the last of the kind IMO. It is also difficult to know how he would have performed at MLB level at 18-21 years old. Nearly impossible to compare Japanese stats with MLB.

It litterally requires someone who is not only an all time great hitter, but also someone who is going to play at a high level from at oldest 20 until they are 40+, while missing hardly no time due to injury.

Look at a guy like Mike Trout...he is 27 now, in his prime and has played 9 seasons with 1324 hits.

At this rate he'd need to hold his avearge at 150 hits per season for another 20 seasons to get to Rose's record.

Reactions: blubo
John Wooden's 8 NCAA Championships in a row. It's super hard now to even win 2 in a row. I know some believe that they were bought and paid for, but not an upset in 8 years? That's noteworthy. It will never be matched..

Reactions: blubo
@Cowtown Cat

Gotta share one more thing because it just brings it all full circle.

So a few years back the Reds dedicated a statue to Rose outside of GABP. They also played with baseballs that had 14 Forever logo on sweet spot.

My oldest kid is 7, so he was 4ish at the time. My wife and I took him to his 2nd Reds game that day as they were giving out a mini statue to the first so many fans in attendance.

Long story short, we got tickets in upper level box behind home plate but slightly down 3rd base line.

Joey Votto hit a foul ball right to me...first and only ball I've ever gotten....pretty wild....so that thing is cased up in my office.

Think this works...

Last edited:
Your Trout example can be used to make my case: He's two years YOUNGER than Ichiro was when he came to the US, and yet Trout has more MLB hits than Ichiro had Japanese hits when he quit Japan.

Trout isn't a singles hitter. But he has shown he can get close to 200 hits a year. If he did that until he was 39 (2,400 more hits), then hung around as a DH until he was 43, averaging 150 hits - (600 hits) he'd break Rose's record. Likely? Maybe not for Trout, who as I say, isn't a classic singles hitter and gets fewer ABs because of walks and batting down the line-up. But who's to say someone like Ronald Acuna, who already had 300 hits by age 21, or Juan Soto - who had 274 hits while still 20 -- couldn't do that?

I just don't see it. Ichiro was 27 when henstarted in MLB...Trout is 28.

You are bringing up great examples but how many DH's have had 150 hits after age 35 or so? Molitor, Baines, Murray, maybe?

My whole point is you have to stay healthy too. It is one of if not the most safe records ever for this era.

Last edited:
@Cowtown Cat

So a few years back the Reds dedicated a statue to Rose outside of GABP. They also played with baseballs that had 14 Forever logo on sweet spot.

My oldest kid is 7, so he was 4ish at the time. My wife and I took him to his 2nd Reds game that day as they were giving out a mini statue to the first so many fans in attendance.

Long story short, we got tickets in upper level box behind home plate but slightly down 3rd base line.

Joey Votto hit a foul ball right to me...first and only ball I've ever gotten....pretty wild....so that thing is cased up in my office.

Think this works...
Heck yeah that’s awesome! We had seats a few rows back down third baseline once and then a few rows back right behind home plate another time.

We went and actually watched the Reds play a 3 game set with Pittsburgh. Went to a night game and then a doubleheader the following day and the Reds lost all three damn games! I’m trying to remember the exact year that was. I thought it was 90 but after researching I don’t believe it was 90. I’ll have to ask Dad and see if he remembers.

Several good examples. Tiger's 142 consecutive cuts is one that won't be touched ever. Most pros play around 20 events a year. That's making the cut every event for 7+ years. Everyone has an off day and, in a lot of tournaments, that's all it takes. Shoot 3-over on Thursday and you've got to shot 5-under to make the cut? And it didn't happen for 142 consecutive tournaments? Unbelievable.

CY's records are not even approachable. Dimaggio's record won't be approached, either, until the game changes back to a contact vs HR focus. Even then, no one's really even come that close in 80 years.

UCLA championships and 88-game win streak. Probably Tiger's soon-to-be record number of wins on the PGA tour (no one's going to play long and well enough to win 80+ times anymore). Nadal's 12 French Open titles.

I just don't see it. Ichiro was 27 when henstarted in MLB...Trout is 28.

You are bringing up great examples but how many DH's have had 150 hits after age 35 or so? Molitor, Baines, Murray, maybe?

My whole point is you have to stay healthy too. It is one of if not the most safe records ever for this era.
It wouldn't be the record (Rose's hit record) if doing it was easy. But unlike Cy Young's wins record for example -- history is moving in the right direction for Rose's record to eventually be broken, not the wrong direction.

What do I mean? Pitchers are not finishing games because bullpens are much better, arms are more susceptible to arm injury, and so on. History is moving away from Young's record being broken.

But history is moving toward the prospect of a special player piling up hits young, and then playing well into his 40s. Young hitters like Acuna and Soto are showing that you can start rolling up numbers by age 20-21 in the Big Leagues. At the same time, conditioning is better - more players are productive at 40 than decades ago. The DH gives a special niche to a guy like Albert Pujols - already 40 - to keep playing. He's not a singles hitter but him getting 150 hits this year isn't a stretch - he's healthy and on a hot streak in spring training. What if in 20 years Juan Soto has proven to be a conditioning freak, has been mostly injury free, and is still productive? He could be knocking on the door.

Top of the list, for baseball anyway is Cy Young's career totals for wins(511), innings pitched(7335), and an amazing 749 complete games.
This. Those records will never be surpassed or even in the ball park of being reached. The days of 300 game winners in baseball are pretty much over, much less 500 wins.

Reactions: SuporChin
Christy Matthewson had 10 complete World Series games.
Bob Gibson 1.12 ERA for a season (modern day)
Pete's hit record
gibson had 7 straight complete games in the ws and that’s pretty impressive. mathewson had 3 in 6 days without allowing a single run, which is ridiculous.

Reactions: J_Dee
It wouldn't be the record (Rose's hit record) if doing it was easy. But unlike Cy Young's wins record for example -- history is moving in the right direction for Rose's record to eventually be broken, not the wrong direction.

What do I mean? Pitchers are not finishing games because bullpens are much better, arms are more susceptible to arm injury, and so on. History is moving away from Young's record being broken.

But history is moving toward the prospect of a special player piling up hits young, and then playing well into his 40s. Young hitters like Acuna and Soto are showing that you can start rolling up numbers by age 20-21 in the Big Leagues. At the same time, conditioning is better - more players are productive at 40 than decades ago. The DH gives a special niche to a guy like Albert Pujols - already 40 - to keep playing. He's not a singles hitter but him getting 150 hits this year isn't a stretch - he's healthy and on a hot streak in spring training. What if in 20 years Juan Soto has proven to be a conditioning freak, has been mostly injury free, and is still productive? He could be knocking on the door.

That makes sense, I can see what you mean.

I kind of lump Cy and Wilt and those kind of records into a separate bucket because the games were so different back then.

One thing is for sure- no doubt conditioning is better.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Here's an odd one that will be hard to break.
Fernando Tatís achieved the unprecedented feat of hitting two grand slams in the same inning in 1999.
The odds of anyone ever hitting 3 in one inning in a mlb game must be staggering.

Reactions: StubbornPenny
Not even close to Chamberlain's self-proclaimed 20K range, but there is one that would give him a run for his money: [smoke]

Secretariat officially sired 663 named foals, including 341 winners (51.4%) and 54 stakes winners (8.1%).

Wilt's all-time rebounds is not self-proclaimed, it is in the NBA record book, and it is not 20K range, it is 23,924, almost 24K. When you consider that Bill Russell was an elite rebounder and played 13 seasons, and is 2nd with 21,620, and Kareem is 3rd with 17,440, which is 6500 behind Chamberlain, then you can see why that record will never be broken.

Wilt's all-time rebounds is not self-proclaimed, it is in the NBA record book, and it is not 20K range, it is 23,924, almost 24K. When you consider that Bill Russell was an elite rebounder and played 13 seasons, and is 2nd with 21,620, and Kareem is 3rd with 17,440, which is 6500 behind Chamberlain, then you can see why that record will never be broken.

The 20K range I'm talking about has nothing to do with basketball. I think we have our wires crossed.

"In addition to his accomplishments on the court, Chamberlain also authored four books. None of the others created nearly the stir and controversy as his 1991 book, A View From Above. In it, the basketball great claimed to have slept with 20,000 different women during his life."

Sorry for the confusion..

I am talking a single league, no stat mixing from different leagues and of the 6 major US sports at any level college and above.

Basketball, Football, Baseball, Golf, Hockey, Soccer

Individual records for a player.

If you want to share a crazy team record, that is cool too.

For me it is Pete Rose all time hit record. It is astonishing how many hits he racked up and over 3 decades...goofy. It will NEVER be touched.
Joe D 56 game hitting streak

Reactions: HagginHall1999
C'mon now....Love Rose, Chamberlain, Gretsky and most all others .But let's bring this discussion back home where it belongs boys.

THIS RECORD WILL NEVER BE BROKEN....KENTUCKY MEN'S BASKETBALL WON 129 STRAIGHT HOME GAMES FROM 1943 TO 1952 !!!!!!! I MEAN REALLY?

John Stockton's assist and steals career records. He has 3,715 more assists than the person in second place, Jason Kidd. To get an idea of just how big of a lead that is, that would be like averaging 45.3 assists per game over an 82 game season.

Also has 581 more steals than Jason Kidd, who is also in second place on that list. That's the equivalent of 7.1 steals per game over an 82-game season.

People forget how great of a two-way player he was, arguably the best two-way PG to ever play the game. Great shooter - 38.4% three point shooter and could score at a high level when he needed to..

Last edited:
Gretzky finished with 2,857 career points (894 goals plus 1,963 assists), which is the most all-time. Second all-time is Jaromir Jagr with 1,921 points.

So even if Gretzky had never scored a single goal, he still would’ve finished with the most points in NHL history.

For me, that was always the part that best highlighted how absurd his numbers were. And that’s without even considering the fact that Jagr played in about 250 more NHL games than Gretzky.
It’s unfathomable the numbers Gretzky put up. Ovechkin might pass him in goals but he only has 570 assists. He’s not even close to Gretzky’s point totals.

Last edited:
I know they’re illegitimate, but no one will ever win 7 NCAA titles in a row like John Wooden and Sam Gilbert did. Unless someone comes up with a fool proof way to cheat.
Edit: oops not individual

Last edited:
Heck yeah that’s awesome! We had seats a few rows back down third baseline once and then a few rows back right behind home plate another time.

We went and actually watched the Reds play a 3 game set with Pittsburgh. Went to a night game and then a doubleheader the following day and the Reds lost all three damn games! I’m trying to remember the exact year that was. I thought it was 90 but after researching I don’t believe it was 90. I’ll have to ask Dad and see if he remembers.
Talked to Dad. He says it was indeed 1990.

I know they’re illegitimate, but no one will ever win 7 NCAA titles in a row like John Wooden and Sam Gilbert did. Unless someone comes up with a fool proof way to cheat.
LOL oh they have. Their coach just can’t get it done even with every advantage known to man. Make no mistake, they’re allowed to cheat.

Just too bad we aren’t allowed to cheat. Hell, I would settle for just a fair shake. The hell with cheating.

Mike Marshall 106 games pitched in a season maybe.
Rose career hits
Cy young 511 wins
Type cobbs 367 lifetime batting average
Possibilities

"In addition to his accomplishments on the court, Chamberlain also authored four books. None of the others created nearly the stir and controversy as his 1991 book, A View From Above. In it, the basketball great claimed to have slept with 20,000 different women during his life."

Sorry for the confusion..

No problem. I have heard this claim before, in fact I saw an interview one time where he made this claim. I had heard stories of his sexual accomplishments before, but I just have a hard time believing that number. If he began having sex at age 18, he would have had to had sex with a different woman every day of the remainder of his life, and more than one a day for almost 9 and a half years. Wilt may have been prolific, but I simply cannot believe those numbers.

Reactions: NothinButNylon
It’s unfathomable the numbers Gretzky put up. Ovechkin might pass him in goals but he always has 570 assists. He’s not even close to Gretzky’s point totals.

One of my favorite Gretzky stories has to do with one of his many other records. Before Gretzky, the fastest anyone had gotten to 50 goals was in 50 games.

Gretzky was on pace to break that record and had 45 goals after just 38 games. On the way to rink for the 39th game, he told Paul Coffey basically: “I’m feeling pretty good tonight. I think I’m just going to get to 50 tonight.”

In over 100 years of NHL history, there have been only 61 games where a player scored 5 or more goals. But sure enough, Gretzky went out and scored 5 goals to get to 50 in just 39 games. That’s basically like Babe Ruth calling his shot five times in the same game.

It’s unreal how good Gretzky was, especially considering he wasn’t necessarily the biggest or fastest player. The guy just had a feel for the game and played it better than anybody ever has. Just can’t see anyone surpassing some of his records.

@Cowtown Cat

Think this works...

Did we discuss the Johnny Bench bobble head? Was that you?

I am talking a single league, no stat mixing from different leagues and of the 6 major US sports at any level college and above.

Basketball, Football, Baseball, Golf, Hockey, Soccer

Individual records for a player.

If you want to share a crazy team record, that is cool too.

For me it is Pete Rose all time hit record. It is astonishing how many hits he racked up and over 3 decades...goofy. It will NEVER be touched.

Ty Cobb

Ty Cobb is MLB's career leader with 54 swipes of home and holds the single-season record with eight (1912).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT