ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What an awesome job being the head coach of the Detroit Pistons is...

ukfan1622

Junior
Jan 15, 2021
The Pistons just fired their coach Monty Williams after one or two seasons of historic suckitude.
His teams were so bad that nobody above NAIA level will ever hire him as a head coach again.
But don't worry about Monty; he'll be okay. The Pistons still owe him $65,000,000.

As a long time fan of the pistons (really my second team I’ve been pulling for the Heat in my adult life) I hate it. I still like the Pistons and loved the run with Tayshaun as a rookie for the title I don’t understand why or how they’ve gotten to be so bad. It’s a very good franchise with proud history but they just can’t even take baby steps into the right direction.

I do hope Reed or Dilly go there though. Would love another impactful UK player for the Pistons. Piston Reed or Dilly jerseys and memorabilia would suit me fine, maybe help them start winning again too.

I can’t think of a professional sport where the head coach impacts winning so little. Which is why it’s humorous to me that A.) NBA franchises change coaches so often and B.) Coaches such as Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, Pop, Pat Riley, etc. get so much credit for winning titles. Maybe coaching players like MJ/Pippen, Kobe/Shaq, Russell/Cousey, Duncan and Magic/Kareem had something to do with it?

As a long time fan of the pistons (really my second team I’ve been pulling for the Heat in my adult life) I hate it. I still like the Pistons and loved the run with Tayshaun as a rookie for the title I don’t understand why or how they’ve gotten to be so bad. It’s a very good franchise with proud history but they just can’t even take baby steps into the right direction.

I do hope Reed or Dilly go there though. Would love another impactful UK player for the Pistons. Piston Reed or Dilly jerseys and memorabilia would suit me fine, maybe help them start winning again too.
It just come downs to bad drafting.

Man, Im conflicted on this one.

On one hand, the Pistons team with Rip, Billups, Tayrshaun & Wallace's might be my favorite NBA team in any season. It would be cool to see a Dillingham or Sheppard be a part of something similar.

On the other, getting drafted by the Pistons is like getting drafted into purgatory in 2024.

Reactions: Killswitch24
I believe it was just one season. So yeah they still owe him $65M. From some of what I've seen he really didn't want to coach, his wife was going through some health issues but Detroit kept upping their offer till I guess he couldn't say no. I think I could survive on $65M if I had to. ;)
How freakin bad did they want him to offer him a $65M+ contract. Did he have like 5-10 championships that I don't know about?

This is the kind of place we do NOT want Reed or Rob going to!

Just FYI, it was Tay’s second season that they won the title.

Wow I must have forgot that. Could have swore he was a rookie that season. Been a long time I guess I just remember it wrong. My mother recently told me, after saying my great grandmother was a blind painter, that in fact I’ve been lying for years. She was a painter that ended up going blind. Every friend I’ve got thinks she was born blind but somehow painted these awesome landscapes. Still don’t think it’s worth it I’m gonna leave it alone.

• Haha
Reactions: gojvc
The Pistons just fired their coach Monty Williams after one or two seasons of historic suckitude.
His teams were so bad that nobody above NAIA level will ever hire him as a head coach again.
But don't worry about Monty; he'll be okay. The Pistons still owe him $65,000,000.
Monty = Tubby IMO
Great guys, not so great coaches

I can’t think of a professional sport where the head coach impacts winning so little. Which is why it’s humorous to me that A.) NBA franchises change coaches so often and B.) Coaches such as Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, Pop, Pat Riley, etc. get so much credit for winning titles. Maybe coaching players like MJ/Pippen, Kobe/Shaq, Russell/Cousey, Duncan and Magic/Kareem had something to do with it?
Baseball ? Maybe I’m wrong but it seems easier to manage in baseball than coach in basketball

I have to respectfully disagree. Lots of great players and teams with multiple great players have failed at winning championships. To win championships you need great players and a great coach or at least really great players and a very good coach. Teams with mediocre or worse coaches do not win championships. And it's not all coincidence; great players that want to win championships gravitate to coaches that can help get them win that championship.

Who the hell wants to spend time in Detroit when you could be not in Detroit? I understand that these guys are gone a lot, that they are on the road for work or have the money to be somewhere else when not working, but they’d also HAVE to be in Detroit frequently. Pretty much everything about Detroit is horrible, the climate, the crime, the decay. I wouldn’t feel passionate about my job or organization either.

Baseball ? Maybe I’m wrong but it seems easier to manage in baseball than coach in basketball
Maybe, but situational awareness in baseball matters a lot. Choosing when to bunt, pulling your starting pitcher, intentional walks, juggling bullpens, etc. In the NBA, I feel like the strategy is usually, “Get the ball in the hands of my best/second best scorer” and get out of the way.

Pistons really just need to land a player or two in the draft. And I think Cade and Ausar could be pretty solid. Cade missed almost all of last year and he's still coming back from that. Ausar is a rookie and showed some real nice looking game, they just limited his minutes and then he got injured.

The problem is the drafting before these guys: Killian Hayes 7th, Luke Kennard 12th.. and literally go back to.. to... Tayshaun Prince in 2003?? Is it THAT far back (aside from Drummond) since they last had a true impact player drafted?

Kind of wild to see.. they haven't had a top6 draft pick in 30 years, other than Darko, and only 7 lottery picks since Tayshaun.. Yet.. they've had three top5 picks in the last 3 years: Cade, Ausar, and Ivey. They have a solid core to work with going forward, and they will get another top5 pick next week.

Oh nah. Commonly thought myth. Baseball (especially playoffs) is extremely difficult to manage. I can see where people would assume the football and basketball coaches are way more involved, but really baseball coaches are doing a lot more than meets the eye. In football and basketball a bad sub or the wrong play you’ve got a lot of ability to make up for it. In baseball a couple early bad moves or plays (shifts and whatnot) and the game can end right there. Managing a bullpen is the most under-appreciated aspect of coaching there is.

Also baseball players are usually the most arrogant and hard headed athletes you’ll ever come across especially at higher levels. As a head coach getting them to actually make adjustments to their approach and buy in is about like trying to talk your wife into threesomes. Baseball coaches have to manage the little things and there are way more details to baseball than any sport. It’s the nature and speed of the game is why so many don’t realize it.

I’ve had people argue me to death but baseball really is a lot more detailed than people who didn’t play much believe. There is just a lot more going on than meets general eye. I don’t know which coach in sports does less, but I would assume NBA coaches are probably doing less than the rest. Nobody is “coaching up” Lebron James. I remember Phil Jackson sitting sitting down with his leg crossed like a woman more than I saw him up and doing anything. Even Calipari just screamed RUUUUN AND GOOOO. I’d say football 1 and baseball 2 and basketball at the college level.

Last edited:
AB4MNWOZTD7QX633FHDBSNSI4Y.jpg

Not sure this hand shape signal even made it to Jordan on the court. And I don’t know if I ever saw Phil actually stand on the sideline.

Riley? Magic, Kareem, Worthy, AC Green, Micahel Cooper, Dwade, Shaq etc etc. He wasn't working with slouches either.

Nah but he’s won at every level and is a better in game coach. And his list isn’t close to Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, and Pippen. I mean that’s just about the list of who’s who in (arguably) the top 5-7

I see no way to know what Phil really is. I’ll give Kareem and Magic but when you’ve got Jordan… and he didn’t have Shaq long. And he came down from the office and made that title happen. We know what Riley is.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Who the hell wants to spend time in Detroit when you could be not in Detroit? I understand that these guys are gone a lot, that they are on the road for work or have the money to be somewhere else when not working, but they’d also HAVE to be in Detroit frequently. Pretty much everything about Detroit is horrible, the climate, the crime, the decay. I wouldn’t feel passionate about my job or organization either.

Maybe you have missed those Ford commercials telling us how great Detroit really is?;)

You have to wonder if Monty Williams just figured “that’s enough money for the rest of my life, I’ll just go get fired.” I know he spent a good bit of the year playing so-so veterans instead of letting the young guys get experience.

NBA head coaching can be goofy anyway. JJ Reddick played 15 years, had a podcast, and was on TV. Head coaching material! It’s 90% managing personalities these days.

Funny enough, Cal would have been a great NBA coach if he’d just stop screaming.

You have to wonder if Monty Williams just figured “that’s enough money for the rest of my life, I’ll just go get fired.” I know he spent a good bit of the year playing so-so veterans instead of letting the young guys get experience.

NBA head coaching can be goofy anyway. JJ Reddick played 15 years, had a podcast, and was on TV. Head coaching material! It’s 90% managing personalities these days.

Funny enough, Cal would have been a great NBA coach if he’d just stop screaming.

Calipari had to stick in college though. He knew it and the NBA knew it. I still don’t believe some of the reports of NBA teams wanting him through these years. It was probably floated by Calipari’s people themselves. I think had he really been wanted and an NBA team was going to make an investment he’d have been gone. He’s at Arkansas and was denied by Ohio State and USC for a reason.

Calipari has one strength and that’s recruiting. He’s not a good evaluator for roster building either, so an NBA team would be getting a megalomaniac who wants it his way 100% who probably wouldn’t draft well and can’t coach well either. The Nets corrected the mistake quick, and seeing how Pitino didn’t work in the NBA I don’t see Calipari doing it either. College is where he had to be so his one strength recruiting could be utilized. Jmo.

Calipari had to stick in college though. He knew it and the NBA knew it. I still don’t believe some of the reports of NBA teams wanting him through these years. It was probably floated by Calipari’s people themselves. I think had he really been wanted and an NBA team was going to make an investment he’d have been gone. He’s at Arkansas and was denied by Ohio State and USC for a reason.

Calipari has one strength and that’s recruiting. He’s not a good evaluator for roster building either, so an NBA team would be getting a megalomaniac who wants it his way 100% who probably wouldn’t draft well and can’t coach well either. The Nets corrected the mistake quick, and seeing how Pitino didn’t work in the NBA I don’t see Calipari doing it either. College is where he had to be so his one strength recruiting could be utilized. Jmo.
Cals other strength is managing personalities and getting them to work for a team goal, which he was quite good at for a while. However, it may be that he was best at achieving this with 17-21 year olds rather than grown men.

Reactions: Killswitch24

I disagree about Cal; the NBA is all about scouting and matchups and Xs and Os and those are all Cal weaknesses. I just don't think Cal is NBA material, whether he screams or talks pretty. As far as JJ Reddick, nobody ever knows for sure if any first time head coach will be worth a damn, no matter their pedigree.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Longtime Pistons fan here since the early 80s. Lucky enough to see them win 3 championships.

But I can barely watch 10 minutes of a game now. Just an absolute 💩 show of an organization. 😓
I went to three Pistons games at The Palace of Auburn Hills when they won the championship in 2004 and they were 0-3 in those games LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Jamal Mercer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT