ADVERTISEMENT

OT: University of Miami switching to Adidas. Would UK ever change?

ASU just went Adidas, and the folds 'round here are not happy at all. Imagine UK switching.

Keep riding Nike. Going to Nike was one of our best moves ever. It is simply the best of all sports brands, hands down the best. Miami is making a mistake.

Originally posted by MWes11:

Originally posted by miracle7s:

Kentucky is a Nike flagship. They wouldn't let us leave without a big fight. UK fans buy merch.
Miami is/was a Nike flagship as well. But you know what they say, money talks.
No, they weren't. Miami is a good team that wears Nike. There is a huge difference. I can promise Adidas, Under Armour, whatever could offer infinite money to UK, Duke, UNC, Bama, Ohio St., and a few others and Nike would match any of them.
I guess they weren't the first college EVER to sign an all sports contract with a retailer (Nike), allowing Nike to "own the school" as former Nike exec Sonny Vaccaro said

If they weren't flagship or a staple, then I guess our definitions differ. Miami WAS a flagship of Nike. Maybe not now, but they definitely were.
yes Miami was the original Nike school, and if this were 1980-2002 Nike wouldn't be letting them leave. I guess I should have made that a little clearer, my fault. Miami hasn't had swagger since the early 2000's and have been replaced by different schools the last 10+ years.

UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY[/URL]
Exclusive partner: Nike[/URL]
Most recent contract: Signed Oct. 3, 2006, and extended through 2024-25 season[/URL]
Base payments received by UK: $1.8 million per year[/URL]
Royalties: UK receives 12 percent on competition apparel, jerseys and performance apparel and 10 percent on all other merchandise. In addition, Nike pays royalties for the use of university trademarks. The athletics department realizes 50 percent of the royalties. For the fiscal year that ended in June 2013, Nike paid UK $1.17 million in royalties for use of trademarks.[/URL]
Bonus: UK received a $2.4 million signing bonus May 14, 2013.[/URL]
Merchandise: UK is to receive $1.725 million in Nike products each year through June 2017. In 2017-18, UK will receive $1.925 million in products through June 2021. In 2021-22 that figure will be raised to $2.125 million. Also, if UK doesn't use its full allotment in a given year, $100,000 in merchandise can be carried over to the following year.[/URL]
Tickets and hospitality given to Nike by UK:[/URL]
• Football: Eight tickets to home games and 12 to bowl games.[/URL]
• Men's basketball: Eight for home games and eight for postseason tournament games.[/URL]
• Women's basketball: 12 for home games and eight for postseason games.[/URL]
• Other sports: Four tickets to each home game.[/URL]
Also, Nike receives extra tickets to one game in football, men's basketball and women's basketball each year. And Nike receives two VIP parking passes as well as two access passes to the athletic director's hospitality room.[/URL]
Facts and figures[/URL]
• The Wildcats women's basketball and/or soccer programs must be available to compete in a Nike-sponsored tournament at least once every three years.[/URL]
• If a team member is unable to wear Nike footwear because of a medical condition as evidenced by the team doctor, the manufacturer of the prescribed footwear must be taped over or covered in some way.[/URL]
• If UK men's basketball is banned from television in a contract year, Nike can reduce its base compensation for basketball by 70 percent.[/URL]
• Nike has one internship at its world headquarters for a UK student each year, valued at $10,000.

[/URL]

Article

Interesting that Nike get tickets, wonder how often they go unused? Also basketball shoe wise Nike has so much more variety, gets some Js,LBJs,KDs,Pauls,hopefully soon to be ADs....

Kentucky is a Nike flagship. They wouldn't let us leave without a big fight. UK fans buy merch.
Miami is/was a Nike flagship as well. But you know what they say, money talks.
No, they weren't. Miami is a good team that wears Nike. There is a huge difference. I can promise Adidas, Under Armour, whatever could offer infinite money to UK, Duke, UNC, Bama, Ohio St., and a few others and Nike would match any of them.
I guess they weren't the first college EVER to sign an all sports contract with a retailer (Nike), allowing Nike to "own the school" as former Nike exec Sonny Vaccaro said

If they weren't flagship or a staple, then I guess our definitions differ. Miami WAS a flagship of Nike. Maybe not now, but they definitely were.
yes Miami was the original Nike school, and if this were 1980-2002 Nike wouldn't be letting them leave. I guess I should have made that a little clearer, my fault. Miami hasn't had swagger since the early 2000's and have been replaced by different schools the last 10+ years.
No need to apologize. I was just trying to make a point. But yes, Miami has fallen off tremendously.

At a basketball school especially, being Nike has to make a difference since they all wear Kobes, Durants, or LBJs.

I don't like Nike stuff particularly, but it would be crazy for UK to go elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT