ADVERTISEMENT

OT: University of Miami switching to Adidas. Would UK ever change?

MWes11

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2012
Miami, a long time Nike school, is switching to Adidas after being with Nike for 27 years.

Could you ever see Kentucky switching from Nike to either Adidas or UA? Would it impact recruiting, like "some coaches" imply? I sure as hell hope Kentucky stays Nike for a long time. But if Adidas or UA threw a boat load of money for UK to switch, do you think they would? I couldn't imagine UK in anything but Nike.

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/01/05/university-of-miami-an-original-nike-school-switches-to-adidas/

We switched from Converse to Nike when Sutton arrived (and converse was still a big player then.) So it could happen but does anyone know how long our contract is with Nike? When it expires.

Good topic OP.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Kentucky is a Nike flagship. They wouldn't let us leave without a big fight. UK fans buy merch.

Originally posted by miracle7s:
Kentucky is a Nike flagship. They wouldn't let us leave without a big fight. UK fans buy merch.
Miami is/was a Nike flagship as well. But you know what they say, money talks.

I would be soooo disappointed if we switched. I like my Nike gear.

I wouldn't care either way if it weren't for Adidas constantly producing horrific jerseys. Nike does some crazy stuff from Oregon, but at least it seems like they keep the craziness pretty much limited to Oregon.

Originally posted by MWes11:
Could you ever see Kentucky switching from Nike to either Adidas or UA?
Phil Knight will eat your soul for even suggesting this.

PhilKnight.jpg

I know it won't be popular here, but the apparel I have bought non-UK has been Adidas.....I like their Performance Boost shoes/workout pants & golf apparel.

But still a UK/Nike fan when it comes to team apparel. I don't think they change based on the amount we purchase as a fan base.

Originally posted by TruBluCatFan:
We switched from Converse to Nike when Sutton arrived (and converse was still a big player then.) So it could happen but does anyone know how long our contract is with Nike? When it expires.

Good topic OP.
Wrong. We didn't switch to Nike until 97 or 98. Remeber the denim uniforms in 96...yeah, they were converse

If we switched to Adidas and they tried to put purple uniforms on our team for the tourney, this fanbase would go nuclear.

I buy Nike Gear because it's UK related. Otherwise I love the feel, weight, and look of Under Armor gear.

If this happened, I could see Nike going after Little Sister right away just to spite us. But we are a Nike flagship for sure. It would take an unbelievable proposal from Adidas to get UK to change.

Originally posted by UKBrassowTipIN:

We switched from Converse to Nike when Sutton arrived (and converse was still a big player then.)So it could happen but does anyone know how long our contract is with Nike? When it expires.

Good topic OP.
Wrong. We didn't switch to Nike until 97 or 98. Remeber the denim uniforms in 96...yeah, they were converse
In the early 90s UK was a Converse shoe team and the Jerseys were from Apex. I think in 95/96 we were Converse for both. And then in 97/98 we switched over to Nike.

Could it happen? Sure. I don't think it would. Nike is just too big a name in basketball and the benefits go far beyond gear. Just look how it helped us pry away Antonio Blakeney from UofL.

Originally posted by KMKAT:
I know it won't be popular here, but the apparel I have bought non-UK has been Adidas.....I like their Performance Boost shoes/workout pants & golf apparel.

But still a UK/Nike fan when it comes to team apparel. I don't think they change based on the amount we purchase as a fan base.
I don't buy much of either but I do have just general non team related Nike hoodies , a couple of Under Armour as well as Adidas.

The Adidas are the best quality but fit and feel, its Nike hands down for me. Under Armour assumes I am the body shape of Terrell Owens and not a fat slob in his late 40's, so I don't like them.

We are Nike Elite and for the most part that is what you want.

Good grief. Ridiculous question.

Originally posted by bigbluegrog:

If this happened, I could see Nike going after Little Sister right away just to spite us. But we are a Nike flagship for sure. It would take an unbelievable proposal from Adidas to get UK to change.
To add, Notre dame was Adidas biggest contract, and they just left them for under armour. I believe Uofl is probably adidas biggest school now

Miami is a smaller private school in Coral Gables, although they have had some great years in football, with a few exceptions, their basketball and football have been fairly down recently, they def don't even come close to pleasing Nike like we do

Maybe smaller is not correct for me to use since they have 16,000 some students, but still, this won't hurt Nike, and UK def would

To add, Notre dame was Adidas biggest contract, and they just left them for under armour. I believe Uofl is probably adidas biggest school now
?!?!?! UCLA and Kansas are much bigger names in the national consciousness.

I'd never, ever buy UK gear again if they switched to Adidas. I can't believe Miami is dumb enough to do this. But Nike gets Tennessee from Adidas this year so I guess it works out for them.

I'd be unhappy if we went to Under Armour but I would despise it like Adidas. I hate Adidas so much that it pisses me off even seeing or typing that companies name.

I recall when Sutton came that UK switched from Converse Shoes to another brand and it may have been Nike but I do not recall. I do recall however that Roger Harden was allowed to continue wearing Converse because his father was an executive or sales person with Converse. I seem to recall at that time the contract was with the coaches not the schools.

^^ ^^^ apex.

Whoever said louisville is Adidas top school, ever heard of kansas? This board continues to overrate louisville at an alarming rate.

Kentucky would never trade Nike. We are NIKE ELITE. that is absolutely what you want to be.

Would we leave the SEC? Would we leave Nike? Would americans leave the USA and go to mother Russia.

Always some ridiculius question.

Originally posted by DrH. Lecter:

?!?!?! UCLA and Kansas are much bigger names in the national consciousness.

* Miami left because the new AD wanted to make a splash and Adi offered more $ than Nike or UA. Miami coaches and players did not want to leave, and the impact on recruiting will be huge. A percentage of kids will bypass Miami because of it, and all of the south Florida kids will be steered to schools like FSU, Bama, and Ohio State...

* ND was a unique situation in that their contract stated they had to be the highest paid school by Adi and the Michigan deal also stated similar language. UA overpaid by a large amount to get ND which was an all cash and stock deal to the tune of $9+ million. For example FSU and Bama get less than half of that. Comparison - Navy gets the same from UA to leave Nike as Bama gets, and this is mainly due to the fact that kids want Nike and schools know this so to switch they have to take way more from UA and Adi. Would you take Navy or Bama for the same $$?

* U of L is not a national name hence no interest from other brands. They don't move merch nationally so does not make sense to have them. UK, UNC, Duke, Arizona, UConn.... move the needle.

* Adi's biggest schools are Nebraska, UCLA, Wisconsin, Michigan, IU, U of L. - UT moves to Nike in August.
* UA has Auburn, South Carolina, ND, Maryland, Northwestern, Utah, Texas Tech, BC,
* Nike has everyone else - Texas, Bama, FSU, Ohio State, Oregon, Oklahoma, Florida, Stanford, UK, Carolina, Duke....

Will start to see some mega deals in the future with some mid level schools being dropped to make $$ free for the big deals.

Did anybody else get a kick out of seeing UofL players wearing John Wall's signature Adidas shoe? I guess the Air Siva's are still under development.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by UKDUNK:
Did anybody else get a kick out of seeing UofL players wearing John Wall's signature Adidas shoe? I guess the Air Siva's are still under development.
laugh.r191677.gif
The Air Siva's are too fast for consumers to wear them. Imagine the lawsuits from all the injuries.

Good topic OP.
Hmm... I bet Nike thought we wore Nike Dunks in 1985-86.

We obviously switched back at some point but 85-86 was first time we ever wore Nike.

Nike in 85-86

Notre Dame just switched so I guess anything is possible. I wouldn't expect a switch anytime soon however. It seems like shoe/apparel contracts have more influence over basketball than football, so I'd expect that UK will stick with whichever one is most advantageous to us from a basketball standpoint, assuming the money is close to equal.

OMG HOw CaN THEY Switch!! ARE TheY KRAZZY?

JURrICH neeDS TO GET OUT oF ADIDAS CONTRACT NOW11!11!! WE CANT geT ReCRuIT CUZ WEER A ADDASS SCKOOL!

NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!111!!!

L4C1!!

Originally posted by ZaytovenCat:
I'd never, ever buy UK gear again if they switched to Adidas. I can't believe Miami is dumb enough to do this. But Nike gets Tennessee from Adidas this year so I guess it works out for them.

I'd be unhappy if we went to Under Armour but I would despise it like Adidas. I hate Adidas so much that it pisses me off even seeing or typing that companies name.
I agree. I feel bad for fans of Adidas teams and always laugh at the gear I see in stores (IU, UofL, UT). The designs, color schemes and graphics are all sucking hind tit to Nike and UA.

I much prefer Nike for buying gear, but would be fine with UA if a change was ever made. Nike has better designs and graphics of appareal but UA's stuff would work too.

Originally posted by Noxium322:

Originally posted by UKDUNK:
laugh.r191677.gif
The Air Siva's are too fast for consumers to wear them. Imagine the lawsuits from all the injuries.
Which is exactly why the forward-thinking Jurich elected to go with these British Knights "Air Gorgui's"

mX-qmoJDY8GQGG-lc4-MnOw.jpg

No, they weren't. Miami is a good team that wears Nike. There is a huge difference. I can promise Adidas, Under Armour, whatever could offer infinite money to UK, Duke, UNC, Bama, Ohio St., and a few others and Nike would match any of them.

No, they weren't. Miami is a good team that wears Nike. There is a huge difference. I can promise Adidas, Under Armour, whatever could offer infinite money to UK, Duke, UNC, Bama, Ohio St., and a few others and Nike would match any of them.
I guess they weren't the first college EVER to sign an all sports contract with a retailer (Nike), allowing Nike to "own the school" as former Nike exec Sonny Vaccaro said

If they weren't flagship or a staple, then I guess our definitions differ. Miami WAS a flagship of Nike. Maybe not now, but they definitely were.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT