ADVERTISEMENT

OT transfer imminent?

So what's the latest on Mincey?
His Twitter says he's out of the country for a few days as of 1/4, but that his rep will assist in the process (whatever that means). Guess he's probably back by now.

https://twitter.com/geraldmincey?lang=en

UK's add date for classes is tomorrow, so if he's going to Ole Miss this weekend for a visit, even if an unofficial one, not sure how that would work. Perhaps he could technically enroll in classes as a placeholder, because you have until 1/28 to drop a class? Or maybe there are exceptions to the 1/12 add date for classes?

Additionally, as we learned with Big Z on the bball side, there are "half semester" classes offered at UK, so maybe that's a viable way forward as well.

UK's add date for classes is tomorrow, so if he's going to Ole Miss this weekend for a visit, even if an unofficial one, not sure how that would work.
Academics 😂😂😂.

Sorry dude, not ragging on you. I just found that hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: entropy13
1. I agree we could use an offensive tackle (but CB is far and away most pressing need of this roster)
2. My question is Marques Cox seems to have the LT spot locked down.....so are we arguing Courtland Ford isn't ready to take RT and Mincey would be brought into to take the spot?

Because if you take Mincey....Ford would probably be directly to the portal and we're back to having Malachi Wood and maybe Nik Hall if he can play physically. So we're basically stating Ford was not the answer.

Tough balancing act. Maybe like last yr with Flax & Ford, you bring in Mincey and tell he & Ford both they are competing. The starting job will be won Aug 30th. And the 2nd place finisher will be 1st tackle off the bench to play Right & Left.

6 months ago I was convinced Ford would start every game at RT, and then in '24 would flip over to start LT. Reality had different plans.

Tough balancing act. Maybe like last yr with Flax & Ford, you bring in Mincey and tell he & Ford both they are competing. The starting job will be won Aug 30th. And the 2nd place finisher will be 1st tackle off the bench to play Right & Left.

6 months ago I was convinced Ford would start every game at RT, and then in '24 would flip over to start LT. Reality had different plans.
I think that is best case scenario....I think Ford will immediately transfer if he ain't starting RT.

I mean let's be real.

1. Ford came here to be starting RT in 2023 and LT in 2024.
2. Flax wins the RT job and was alternating series early on....by 4th game....that alternating stuff was done and Ford never played
3. Cox comes back for 2024...so the LT thing is off the board.
4. If we take Mincey......I just don't see Ford sticking with how kids act nowadays.

Academics 😂😂😂.

Sorry dude, not ragging on you. I just found that hilarious.
All good. I mean, with the NCAA still having eligibility requirements, you at least gotta dot your i's and cross your t's though, right, i.e., at least on paper be enrolled in classes of some sort?

Reactions: gojvc
All good. I mean, with the NCAA still having eligibility requirements, you at least gotta dot your i's and cross your t's though, right, i.e., at least on paper be enrolled in classes of some sort?
Unless things have changed, you only have to take/pass 6 hrs in-season to stay eligible....that's nothing.

• Wow
Reactions: gojvc and entropy13
MJ seems to think getting Mincey from UT is a strong possibility. Big if true.

Mincey verballed to Kentucky, then flipped and signed with Florida, then transfered to UT. Never a full time starter. Not a promising portfolio. Matt Jones is not credible. How many times has he flubbed a recruiting prediction? If Mincey does come, I think he would struggle for playing opportunities at first. But he has multiple eligible years left, so he could develop into a contributor at some point. He has the size.

Reactions: Coach Marrow
1. I agree we could use an offensive tackle (but CB is far and away most pressing need of this roster)
2. My question is Marques Cox seems to have the LT spot locked down.....so are we arguing Courtland Ford isn't ready to take RT and Mincey would be brought into to take the spot?

Because if you take Mincey....Ford would probably be directly to the portal and we're back to having Malachi Wood and maybe Nik Hall if he can play physically. So we're basically stating Ford was not the answer.
I've read he's being brought in to compete with Ford for the RT spot and the other would likely be a swing tackle to get back up reps at both spots, as both Ford and Mincey can play both tackle positions.

Mincey verballed to Kentucky, then flipped and signed with Florida, then transfered to UT. Never a full time starter. Not a promising portfolio. Matt Jones is not credible. How many times has he flubbed a recruiting prediction? If Mincey does come, I think he would struggle for playing opportunities at first. But he has multiple eligible years left, so he could develop into a contributor at some point. He has the size.
Methinks thou might be underselling him. He's got 1k+ SEC snaps and then there's this from a Vol website: "According to Volunteer Country, Mincey was set to be a starter for the Vols on the offensive line in 2024, but he entered the transfer portal on Saturday."

And here is what JRow wrote confirming his attributes: "
Matt Jones mentioned the other day that Tennessee OT Gerald Mincey is a player to watch. After that I asked around and can confirm that I'm hearing the same thing. When I posed the question of how far along it is or what their odds are, the answer I got from a couple of folks led me to believe they have a good chance but they didn't say it was done. More on the 6'6, 337-pound OL....

PFF scored him at 61.6 on 578 snaps this year. Four penalties, 59.7 run block score, 62.1 in pass sets. Best games were in the first month of the season with three 70+ games in four contests (UVA, Austin Peay, S Carolina). He had a rough game against Texas A&M and wasn't great against Missouri but was OK otherwise. Not someone who instantly comes in as their best lineman but someone would be pretty safely penciled in as the likely RT starter."

Last edited:
Methinks thou might be underselling him. He's got 1k+ SEC snaps and then there's this from a Vol website: "According to Volunteer Country, Mincey was set to be a starter for the Vols on the offensive line in 2024, but he entered the transfer portal on Saturday."

And here is what JRow wrote confirming his attributes: "
Matt Jones mentioned the other day that Tennessee OT Gerald Mincey is a player to watch. After that I asked around and can confirm that I'm hearing the same thing. When I posed the question of how far along it is or what their odds are, the answer I got from a couple of folks led me to believe they have a good chance but they didn't say it was done. More on the 6'6, 337-pound OL....

PFF scored him at 61.6 on 578 snaps this year. Four penalties, 59.7 run block score, 62.1 in pass sets. Best games were in the first month of the season with three 70+ games in four contests (UVA, Austin Peay, S Carolina). He had a rough game against Texas A&M and wasn't great against Missouri but was OK otherwise. Not someone who instantly comes in as their best lineman but someone would be pretty safely penciled in as the likely RT starter."
Reported elsewhere Mincey has cancelled his Ole Miss visit and will visit UK instead this weekend(1/13). Gotta be a good sign!

Get him here tday/weekend then just don’t let him leave. Problem solved lol🤪

FAIL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT