ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Culty Religious People Outside of Rupp Arena

KAB Cats

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 25, 2023
Okay, no offense to religion here and I am all for free speech...

But these Amish looking people with megaphones yelling in my ear to repent sins for 2 blocks... Totally kill the vibe walking into Rupp Arena.

Now, Im not saying they don't have a right to free speech, but yeah, I really wish they didn't do that. It's some Fred Phelps level stuff. Why don't we just have political / faith rallies outside of all games?

that's all I've got. thanks for reading

First...

3F826BA782AA4D4E9370.gif

But these Amish looking people with megaphones yelling in my ear to repent sins for 2 blocks... Totally kill the vibe walking into Rupp Arena.

Now, Im not saying they don't have a right to free speech, but yeah, I really wish they didn't do that. It's some Fred Phelps level stuff. Why don't we just have political / faith rallies outside of all games?

Just remember, it's their way of masturbating. Makes them feel good, especially if you argue or look offended.

I might be wrong, but I believe they're Jehovah Witnesses. I doubt the Amish or Mennonites are at Rupp doing this. If they are JWs, I'm not sure why they're out doing this, as they only believe 144,000 will make it to heaven and they have close to 9 million members.

For years I used to sell beer out front of Wagner's Pharmacy across from Gate 3 of Churchill Downs for Oaks and Derby. It was a blast. Got free food for two days and a few beers while we worked the crowd of people entering the track. Even made some pretty good cash for a poor college kid. Unfortunately, every Derby morning right where Oakdale Avenue and S. 4th Street meet in front of Wagner's a family of 5 religious nuts would show up at 6 am and start in on the entering crowd about the sins of drinking and gambling until 7:30 pm once Derby finished. I contemplated ripping their bullhorn away several times and smashing that damn thing on the sidewalk but didn't want to get struck down by God standing on the corner of S. 4th Street. I respect their drive and commitment to religion but good grief man.

I might be wrong, but I believe they're Jehovah Witnesses. I doubt the Amish or Mennonites are at Rupp doing this. If they are JWs, I'm not sure why they're out doing this, as they only believe 144,000 will make it to heaven and they have close 9 million members.
That’s actually what threw me off. Dressed like Amish but had megaphones. Those two things don’t fit

Reactions: sg24
Same people who used to show up (I’m sure they still do) to college campuses screaming at 19 year olds who just partook in the most unholiness possible as if their megaphone would make them change. Totally righteous people who will undoubtedly burn in Hell.

For years I used to sell beer out front of Wagner's Pharmacy across from Gate 3 of Churchill Downs for Oaks and Derby. It was a blast. Got free food for two days and a few beers while we worked the crowd of people entering the track. Even made some pretty good cash for a poor college kid. Unfortunately, every Derby morning right where Oakdale Avenue and S. 4th Street meet in front of Wagner's a family of 5 religious nuts would show up at 6 am and start in on the entering crowd about the sins of drinking and gambling until 7:30 pm once Derby finished. I contemplated ripping their bullhorn away several times and smashing that damn thing on the sidewalk but didn't want to get struck down by God standing on the corner of S. 4th Street. I respect their drive and commitment to religion but good grief man.
Missed your chance for a Belushi Animal House moment

I'm a Christian. I cringe when I see stuff like that. If I wish to show a person how my faith has changed me, made me a better person, gave me peace, and helped me love myself and others, screaming at them with a megaphone threatening them will hellfire is probably if not surely the least effective approach. The Jesus I know isn't understood by scaring someone into belief in him. Sorry people have to put up with that stuff.

People using their interpretation of something to judge and condemn other people they no nothing about.
Just wait until they discover social media.

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I might be wrong, but I believe they're Jehovah Witnesses. I doubt the Amish or Mennonites are at Rupp doing this. If they are JWs, I'm not sure why they're out doing this, as they only believe 144,000 will make it to heaven and they have close to 9 million members.
I’m sure they don’t use megaphones…lol

These are not people trying to win the lost to Christ. These are people trying to get a lawsuit against the city and someone they finally push over the edge. Any time some one talks or confronts them, they all pull out their phones and cameras.

They come out for Winter Jam, a Christian concert mind you, to tell everyone lining up they are going to hell. One year the police showed up to move them, but they knew their rights and the law and there was nothing we could do. After two years of that nonsense, we started buying the advance passes to go in sooner.

The folks putting on Winter Jam used to send artists out to sing and interact with the crowd but these people would shout them down.

Funny thing is, they have no clue about the Bible what so ever. I asked one of them who was screaming at young girls until they cried, what he thought about Matthew 18:6. He looked at me like I had hit him with a ball bat. I said "I take it you don't know that one? Maybe you should go get an elder or your pastor." He said he was the pastor. I told him it said "But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea." He just started walking down the sidewalk and yelling at other people in line. Tried to do it again with a camera but he literally ran away.

It's a shame that anyone would relate them with Christianity.

Same people who used to show up (I’m sure they still do) to college campuses screaming at 19 year olds who just partook in the most unholiness possible as if their megaphone would make them change. Totally righteous people who will undoubtedly burn in Hell.

I remember my college days at WKU, I was trudging up that hill badly hungover on a hot August day at the beginning of fall semester. We used to have a religious group that would tell everyone to repent and hand out thesr little Bibles.

One of them said something about being saved and shoved one of those little Bibles in my belly like he was handing off a football as I walked by. I proceeded to go spike that Bible like a football into a trash can a few feet away and kept walking. Probably not my best moment, but that intrusion into my personal space rubbed me the wrong way.

I remember my college days at WKU, I was trudging up that hill badly hungover on a hot August day at the beginning of fall semester. We used to have a religious group that would tell everyone to repent and hand out thesr little Bibles.

One of them said something about being saved and shoved one of those little Bibles in my belly like he was handing off a football as I walked by. I proceeded to go spike that Bible like a football into a trash can a few feet away and kept walking. Probably not my best moment, but that intrusion into my personal space rubbed me the wrong way.
Yep. I had similar moments. People, bound for Hell, who get off on telling others they’re going to Hell. Definitely can bring out the worst in you. Just human nature.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
In 2009 at the Music City Bowl in Nashville, we were going across the bridge to the stadium when we came upon a dude with a sammidge board who was screaming at UK and Clempson fans going to the game, telling us we were going to "split Hell wide open", and he even had his kid (clearly a case of child abuse) there holding a sign with some other bullshit that matched the sammidge board. I stopped in front of him and gave him my best OOOOHHHHHH....C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! cheer in hopes of lightning his mood, but to no avail, although several other fans thought it was funny. If his kid hadn't been with him, I would have suggested he might be happier if he'd take a dive into the Cumberland River. Freakin' nut job....

Reminds me of what Dave Grohl did when Westboro Baptist Church picketed a Foo Fighters show
Westboro was only Baptist in name. They were an embarrassment to true Christians. That group caused so much damage to the cause of Christ. Not sure what happened to them but glad they disappeared. Hopefully they found what true Christianity is.

I had the same thing happen going into a sporting event in another city. While I was trying to get the hearing back in my left ear, I remember thinking that I was so glad I knew the truth and was already a Christian otherwise that garbage would have run me away from any religion. It’s truly not Christian and embarrassing.

Westboro was only Baptist in name. They were an embarrassment to true Christians. That group caused so much damage to the cause of Christ. Not sure what happened to them but glad they disappeared. Hopefully they found what true Christianity is.

They’re still around. The founder got kicked out of the church and then died. After that people finally realized that the best thing to do is ignore them and they sorta vanished from the media

Reactions: K86

The anti-Christians promoted Phelps. They love him. It's bastards like the ACLU who help him a lot too. 80 years ago you show up to a WWII soldier's funeral and you'll get your ass kicked and possibly strung up from a tree. And the local judiciary would look the other way. But now, the ACLU will do whatever they can to make sure society rots.

I’ve encountered them a few times. If you engage in conversation, they get extremely uncomfortable and the young ones sometimes seem embarrassed.

Definitely weird shit, but it’s a minor annoyance at the worst.

Reactions: JDHoss
I’ve encountered them a few times. If you engage in conversation, they get extremely uncomfortable and the young ones sometimes seem embarrassed.

Definitely weird shit, but it’s a minor annoyance at the worst.
Yeah can you imagine that kids home life as is, even more so if he doesn’t act the right way at the rallies…yikes.

I think if we all just started having intercourse around them they would probably leave.

Reactions: JDHoss
They lost a lot of their "hold" once daddy Phelps died. He lived to be 84 because of course. Anyway, social media does more damage to Christianity than a small group of hateful midwestern goobers. They just wanted headlines saying they were attacked at a funeral while being all about their freedom of speech. What draws folks away from religion at times? Do a twitter search of "Pride Month", "trans" or "LGBTQ". You'll find thousands of posts across the country from supposed kind, God fearing folks who'll say the most offensive and nasty things about people who are different than them. You see it on these boards occasionally from people who claim to be good religious individuals. When people who say they're Christians and want you to follow in their path also post that anyone different than them equals pedophile and demon trying to destroy America from within, well, there's your answer as to why some may not be flocking to religion's arms like they used to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT