ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Culty Religious People Outside of Rupp Arena

I was in Florida recently and me and my sister were on a pier. I asked some middle aged people if they would take our picture. The guy immediately asked "are you Christians?" I was taken aback. What an odd question to ask a complete stranger. I think I said "sort of." They were visiting from Wisconsin. I mean just say "God Bless" or something. He did take our picture and was nice though.

Last edited:
Westboro was only Baptist in name. They were an embarrassment to true Christians. That group caused so much damage to the cause of Christ. Not sure what happened to them but glad they disappeared. Hopefully they found what true Christianity is.
Haven’t completely disappeared but ever since the old man died it’s gotten smaller. Heard most are family members of Phelps. They still are in Lawrence pretty frequently outside of KU football and basketball games

The best thing to do, I've found, is to wait for the right moment, and trip/fall/push them in front of a moving bus*. It really takes the wind out of their sails.

* - a SLOW moving bus; nobody needs a manslaughter charge...

The best thing to do, I've found, is to wait for the right moment, and trip/fall/push them in front of a moving bus*. It really takes the wind out of their sails.

* - a SLOW moving bus; nobody needs a manslaughter charge...

In fairness, assault 1 is also pretty bad 😁

One of these clowns was calling a female parking lot attendant a hooker on his megaphone simply because money was being exchanged before a Bengals game.
I get it.

Saw a so called “friend” slip our server some cash money as we were leaving a restaurant, she turned around and smiled REAL big. Never talked to that guy again.

I knew what was going on…

Okay, no offense to religion here and I am all for free speech...

But these Amish looking people with megaphones yelling in my ear to repent sins for 2 blocks... Totally kill the vibe walking into Rupp Arena.

Now, Im not saying they don't have a right to free speech, but yeah, I really wish they didn't do that. It's some Fred Phelps level stuff. Why don't we just have political / faith rallies outside of all games?

that's all I've got. thanks for reading
They certainly don't mind to risk offending you.

Now imagine you had to watch people practice their religion live at the games.... Oh My!

@Nightwish84 - hey, should these people be so upset by such a transient intrusion? You like to tell people to live their lives and not get so upset about things. Is this one of those things?

Reactions: UKMKG
They lost a lot of their "hold" once daddy Phelps died. He lived to be 84 because of course. Anyway, social media does more damage to Christianity than a small group of hateful midwestern goobers. They just wanted headlines saying they were attacked at a funeral while being all about their freedom of speech. What draws folks away from religion at times? Do a twitter search of "Pride Month", "trans" or "LGBTQ". You'll find thousands of posts across the country from supposed kind, God fearing folks who'll say the most offensive and nasty things about people who are different than them. You see it on these boards occasionally from people who claim to be good religious individuals. When people who say they're Christians and want you to follow in their path also post that anyone different than them equals pedophile and demon trying to destroy America from within, well, there's your answer as to why some may not be flocking to religion's arms like they used to.

People are flocking into religion’s arms more today than at any time in my life. The alphabet/woke narrative is a fundamentalist religion that demands allegiance or you are called nasty offensive things and demeaned. And, yet, people flock out of fear, shame, and desire to be accepted.

I advise people not to flock to religions, but rather to Jesus. When people or organizations become your idols, you will find brokenness and broken behavior.

I agree and don’t just go to the first church, try a few and see which one you like.

Don’t steer away from religion, steer away from religion that goes against your personal morals, imo.

But the main point is, Struve to be and act like Jesus in all you do. If you can get close to pulling that off you’re doing wonderful!

I might be wrong, but I believe they're Jehovah Witnesses. I doubt the Amish or Mennonites are at Rupp doing this. If they are JWs, I'm not sure why they're out doing this, as they only believe 144,000 will make it to heaven and they have close to 9 million members.

Yeah, you are wrong. Jehovah's Witnesses don't behave like that.

Reactions: UK-chulo
At EKU in the late '90s some guy preached hellfire and damnation pretty regularly on EKU's campus at the northwest corner of the Powell building, at the top of the plaza stairs. Pretty much everybody just ignored him.

I might be wrong, but I believe they're Jehovah Witnesses. I doubt the Amish or Mennonites are at Rupp doing this. If they are JWs, I'm not sure why they're out doing this, as they only believe 144,000 will make it to heaven and they have close to 9 million members.

This could be helpful:

• Haha
Reactions: CUJO_1970
I was in Florida recently and me and my sister were on a pier. I asked some middle aged people if they would take our picture. The guy immediately asked "are you Christians?" I was taken aback. What an odd question to ask a complete stranger. I think I said "sort of." They were visiting from Wisconsin. I mean just say "God Bless" or something. He did take our picture and was nice though.

Seems fair. A question for a question.

“Culty?” I think you meant to spell that with an N, not an L

People are flocking into religion’s arms more today than at any time in my life.
They most certainly are not.
The impact of culty religious people you won't be able to simply ignore is that of woke big tech implementing pRoGrEsSiVe DEI AI systems like Google Gemini.
What a word salad that is.

Seems fair. A question for a question.
Fair enough. I usually ask if they want their picture taken. I just think asking if I am a Christian is a very personal question. I get Jesus said to spread the word, but that was because few had heard of him at the time. Someone outside a supermarket once asked me who I voted for, trying to register people. I said I voted for who I voted for and he just stared blankly at me. But I am a private person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Mehico
I'm a Christian. I cringe when I see stuff like that. If I wish to show a person how my faith has changed me, made me a better person, gave me peace, and helped me love myself and others, screaming at them with a megaphone threatening them will hellfire is probably if not surely the least effective approach. The Jesus I know isn't understood by scaring someone into belief in him. Sorry people have to put up with that stuff.
They aren't threatening you with hellfire, the Christian god is the one enforcing such a cruel and unnecessary fate on to people. If anything, these guys are warning everyone of their impending doom if they don't simply believe some ancient person died for them.

Reactions: MatteoV25
They aren't threatening you with hellfire, the Christian god is the one enforcing such a cruel and unnecessary fate on to people. If anything, these guys are warning everyone of their impending doom if they don't simply believe some ancient person died for them.
The same group/dude has been doing that sort of thing for a long time. I interacted with a dude doing that in college, and one at Rupp earlier this year. So my comments are from direct experience with them. They were stating their theological belief that the people they interacted with were going to a place called Hell due to their assumption that 1) their interpretation of the central Biblical tenant that salvation from Hell requires a relationship with Jesus Christ and that 2) individuals they interacted with did not meet that standard in their view. The idea that God is the arbiter of sending a person to Hell is a theological discussion, and honestly dude respectfully I'm not going to debate theology on a UK message board. I was simply stating that their methods...regardless of any beliefs they may have or hold, seem to be in opposition to the teachings of Christ and that as a person who professes to be a Christian I feel badly for people who are targeted by them as it is a very abrasive approach that rightfully offends many.

Fair enough. I usually ask if they want their picture taken. I just think asking if I am a Christian is a very personal question. I get Jesus said to spread the word, but that was because few had heard of him at the time. Someone outside a supermarket once asked me who I voted for, trying to register people. I said I voted for who I voted for and he just stared blankly at me. But I am a private person.

I am not sure the great commission had an expiration date, but I certainly appreciate your desire to keep things private. But, people don’t know that unless they ask or already know you.

Two very nice Jehovah Witnesses came to my door just yesterday. They were sweet people and I appreciate their willingness to cold call me and speak with me briefly. We discussed where we agreed and they acknowledged that we did not agree on all things.

I would have treated Mormons or atheists or Muslims or any other kind of faith the same way.

Can’t ever just post on topic. Gotta interject your stupid politics because it’s your entire identity as a human.

Hey, yall, Ida is a right-winger. Glad to know.
I thought the thread was about cults. So sensitive when your cult is mentioned.

• Haha
Reactions: Stan the caddy
Okay name the “good” things those three inventions have ever done?
Stop deflecting....
Religion has caused more misery/death, than your examples. Just take the L and keep moving.....

Taiping Rebellion: 20 million

30 Years’ War: 10 million

French Wars of Religion: 3 million

German Peasant War: 100,000

First War of Kappel

Second War of Kappel: 500,000

Wars of the Three Kingdoms: 876,000

War of the Three Henrys

Toggenburg War

Hessian War

Dungan Revolt

War of the Julich Succession

First Schmalkaldic War

Second Schmalkaldic War

Nine Years War: 100,000

The Crusades: 3 million

Catholic extermination of the Cathars: 1 million

Spanish Conquest of the Americas: 20 million

Cromwellian Conquest of Ireland: 618,000

Transatlantic slave trade: 17 million

Albigensian Crusade: 7 million

Aragonese Crusade

Holocausts: 11 million

First War of Villmergen

Second War of Villmergen

Xinjiang Conflict

Kitos War

Qatif Conflict

Yugoslav Wars

Cologne War

The Inquisition: 600,000 (though it could have been as high as millions.)

Lord’s Resistance Army Insurgence: 200,000

Hussite Wars

80 Years’ War: 700,000

Moro Insurgency: 120,000

Great Turkish War: 300,000

Lebanese civil war: 200,000

Second Sudanese civil war: 2 million

First Sudanese civil war: 1.9 million

Afghan Civil Wars: 400,000

Afghanistan and Pakistan Wars: 150,000

Nigerian Civil War: 2 million

Algerian Civil War: 200,000

Witch executions: 600,000

Rashidun Conquests

Ottoman Conquests: 800,000

Timurid Conquests: 17 million

South Thailand Insurgency

The Troubles

Last edited:
I thought the thread was about cults. So sensitive when your cult is mentioned.

Nah. I just think it’s funny you had to work in woke and, I quote, “pRoGrEsSiVe” into a thread about religious people with megaphones outside of Rupp Arena where literally no one else brought up your little buzz words.

Good lord. You’re so ate up with hating the other “team” or “side” it’s all you talk about.

Nah. I just think it’s funny you had to work in woke and, I quote, “pRoGrEsSiVe” into a thread about religious people with megaphones outside of Rupp Arena where literally no one else brought up your little buzz words.

Good lord. You’re so ate up with hating the other “team” or “side” it’s all you talk about.
It's the same side as that small group of religious nuts outside Rupp trying to push irrational thinking on society, but with the power, reach, and control of Google to successfully impact the entire planet.

Go ahead and bitch about the small stuff. But don't get sensitive when the nefarious threat that has real teeth is simply mentioned in comparison. It makes you look ignorant or like a true believer.

Probably because communist secularism is the most dangerous religion of our day.

We get shouted at with their values at every turn through every institution but people are blind to it and would rather take a few whackos with bullhorns and pretend they’re the problem.

• Haha
Reactions: Nightwish84 and K86
Stop deflecting....
Religion has caused more misery/death, than your examples. Just take the L and keep moving.....

Taiping Rebellion: 20 million

30 Years’ War: 10 million

French Wars of Religion: 3 million

German Peasant War: 100,000

First War of Kappel

Second War of Kappel: 500,000

Wars of the Three Kingdoms: 876,000

War of the Three Henrys

Toggenburg War

Hessian War

Dungan Revolt

War of the Julich Succession

First Schmalkaldic War

Second Schmalkaldic War

Nine Years War: 100,000

The Crusades: 3 million

Catholic extermination of the Cathars: 1 million

Spanish Conquest of the Americas: 20 million

Cromwellian Conquest of Ireland: 618,000

Transatlantic slave trade: 17 million

Albigensian Crusade: 7 million

Aragonese Crusade

Holocausts: 11 million

First War of Villmergen

Second War of Villmergen

Xinjiang Conflict

Kitos War

Qatif Conflict

Yugoslav Wars

Cologne War

The Inquisition: 600,000 (though it could have been as high as millions.)

Lord’s Resistance Army Insurgence: 200,000

Hussite Wars

80 Years’ War: 700,000

Moro Insurgency: 120,000

Great Turkish War: 300,000

Lebanese civil war: 200,000

Second Sudanese civil war: 2 million

First Sudanese civil war: 1.9 million

Afghan Civil Wars: 400,000

Afghanistan and Pakistan Wars: 150,000

Nigerian Civil War: 2 million

Algerian Civil War: 200,000

Witch executions: 600,000

Rashidun Conquests

Ottoman Conquests: 800,000

Timurid Conquests: 17 million

South Thailand Insurgency

The Troubles
What a loser hahahahahaha

Reactions: CUJO_1970
And I’m not deflecting, religion has done good for millions, likely billions, of people, why is all that discounted?

What has money done that’s so great? What has a nuclear bomb done than was so great? What did the AK 47 do that helped humanity?

And most of those wars that were “religious” were leaders “using” religion to get people to conquer territories for them to expand their wealth, plenty couldn’t have cared less about the actual religion part.

Just like whoever you work for uses money as an incentive to get you to do things. You’re no different, just different objectives.

Okay I’ll say religion has caused more death and misery than anything else if you’ll admit it’s cause more happiness and love than anything else too.

And actually mosquitos have killed more people than anything ever.

Ida means no harm. From time to time, he likes to run through the room to remind everyone there's no one else here who is as unhinged as he is. It's for entertainment purposes only.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT