ADVERTISEMENT

OT....pro football killing a gold goose

Status
Not open for further replies.
gotta love the "black on black" crime retort...at least 80% of black or white people are killed by someone from their own race often, by someone they know. my guess, and i'm just a factory worker, is, the athletes kneeling are aware of "black on black" crime. What i believe they are protesting is violence against people of color by people in a position of power.

It drives me freaking crazy how some people twist the intentions of the kneeling statement. Look, the kneeling has nothing to do with wars, flags,, veterans, soldiers, or anything like that. The players kneeling are doing it over another issue. An issue that is important in the black community but means nothing to all of those flag waiving white folks who are so easily offended. How the hell does anyone start expressing outrage over a percieved intent or slight that doesn't even exist. The protest has nothing, nothing to do with you faux patriotism, war loving, soldier loving, tearshedding victims. Why is that not clear?
Then do ot some other time and not during the national anthem moron!

Reactions: law1127
It drives me freaking crazy how some people twist the intentions of the kneeling statement. Look, the kneeling has nothing to do with wars, flags,, veterans, soldiers, or anything like that. The players kneeling are doing it over another issue. An issue that is important in the black community but means nothing to all of those flag waiving white folks who are so easily offended. How the hell does anyone start expressing outrage over a percieved intent or slight that doesn't even exist. The protest has nothing, nothing to do with you faux patriotism, war loving, soldier loving, tearshedding victims. Why is that not clear?

So now white people are the ones who wave the flag?

Hint: when black athletes start taking a knee against criminality, illigitemacy, violence, and the victim culture that originates in black communities, maybe these "protests" can be taken seriously.

The police in Baltimore have given the black community the distance they demanded and murders are higher than ever. Is it possible that the problems are not just aggressive policing?

so their stance...i.e. kneeling doesn't matter until they do so against something You think THEY should protest against. Got it.

I don't get how any person can't see that fixing the root issues would go a LONG way in fixing the issues they're protesting.

“Do you know that Negroes are 10 percent of the population of St. Louis and are responsible for 58% of its crimes? We’ve got to face that. And we’ve got to do something about our moral standards,” Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. told a congregation in 1961. “We know that there are many things wrong in the white world, but there are many things wrong in the black world, too. We can’t keep on blaming the white man. There are things we must do for ourselves.”

NFL ratings down 18% the last 2 years...... gotta be a reason. Must be because of the concussions, yet college football is sky rocketing??

Actually for the season College Football Rating Overall are also down from before...

Per Karp, here’s where the networks finished for average viewership for this year’s CFB regular season:

CBS: 4.951 million viewers, down 10% from 5.489 million in 2016.

ABC: 4.203 million, down 18% from 5.097 million.

Fox: 3.625 million, up 23% from 2.951 million.

NBC: 2.742, down 3% from 2.814 million.

ESPN: 2.155 million, down 6% from 2.300 million.

FS1: 819,000, up 4% from 743,000.

Some interesting thoughts from Karp in the piece: CBS's SEC package was the most-viewed individual package for the ninth straight CFB season, but this year’s average was its lowest in well over a decade. ABC’s Saturday Night Football was down 4% from 2016, even though its window remained college football’s most-viewed window with 5.7 million viewers. ESPN was easily the most-viewed cable net for CFB—it has the most games so that lowers its average—but was down with fewer Big Ten matchups. FS1’s average was its best since the network launched but below what the cable net FX averaged for its games in ’11 (1.01 million viewers).

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/12/10/college-footballs-declining-ratings-2017-media-circus

What’s the anthem debacle? The fact that they had to show every team during the anthem? Or the fact that 2nd amendment loving rednecks everywhere proclaimed their hatred for the first amendment?
---
Hmm,

Didn't these "rednecks" also have a right to counter protest? Or is it that just your ilk gets that option?

Spica Orbit

Reactions: Blue wood
I never said it affected their job performance but I don't really care anymore because I'm not supporting them. And kudos to the players that do work in their communities. But the majority of regular, hard working white Americans are not going to support this matter seriously until they start also protesting gang violence and black on black crime which are much bigger issues facing the black community than some cops who have to make split second decisions in sometimes life or death situations. Sometimes they make the right decisions and sometimes they do not. Look at the job of an NFL QB. It's not a life or death situation most of the time but they also have to make split second decisions and sometimes they make the wrong decision. But they don't lose their life or go to prison for making a mistake. So until these "movements" and "social justice warriors" also own up to their own problems, count me uninterested in what they have to say.

images

And I don't care what this person has to say about anything because he contradicts himself. If he thinks Cuba is so great, go live there.
Protesting gang violence?
Who supports gang violence?
Who is in charge of gang violence?

I just want to know to whom these protests need to be aimed?

Not to mention that just about every sociologist known to mankind will tell you that gangs are the net effect of other issues in disadvantaged communities.

It's quite obvious that you are uninterested in educating yourself as you think you already know everything. You've convinced yourself on numerous false narrative storylines and wish to remain ignorant.

Reactions: acbrew1 and law1127
So you calling people rednecks because a bunch of friggin spoiled idiots disrespect our country makes you a real pos!
I just call them willfully ignorant because the players have stated numerous times the aim of their protests and none of those things include "our country".

Just what legitimate "issue" do they think is important enough to insult the people who fought and died so they can insult better men and women than they'll ever be. Just one will do.

Reactions: law1127
Wrong. Even the ravens sent a letter to ticketholders admitting the anthem protest is hurting attendance.
Perhaps you should read the post I responded to...you know the part that said "...yet college football is sky rocketing??"
I was not wrong. Nobody has denied that the protest were hurting the NFL ratings but some would have you believe that the fall in ratings is solely because of the protest. The fact that college football ratings are down as well indicates that people simply aren't watching as much football for a myriad of reasons.

Just what legitimate "issue" do they think is important enough to insult the people who fought and died so they can insult better men and women than they'll ever be. Just one will do.
There are many veterans that have said they support the players, I guess their opinions don't matter? The Titians had one player who participated in the protest and his brother was killed in Afghanistan. He clearly isn't insulting veterans. Besides, if you "fought for freedom" yet don't want some to exercise that freedom then you didn't really fight for that freedom...just the freedoms you with which you agree.

The players kneeling are doing it over another issue. An issue that is important in the black community but means nothing to all of those flag waiving white folks who are so easily offended. How the hell does anyone start expressing outrage over a percieved intent or slight that doesn't even exist. The protest has nothing, nothing to do with you faux patriotism, war loving, soldier loving, tearshedding victims. Why is that not clear?
So what issue is it? If it's opposition to supposed black oppression, it's opposition to a fantasy concocted by those who like controversy to promote their goals. Sad these guys would fall for it.

Protesting gang violence?
Who supports gang violence?
Who is in charge of gang violence?

I just want to know to whom these protests need to be aimed?

Not to mention that just about every sociologist known to mankind will tell you that gangs are the net effect of other issues in disadvantaged communities.

It's quite obvious that you are uninterested in educating yourself as you think you already know everything. You've convinced yourself on numerous false narrative storylines and wish to remain ignorant.
Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one. I’ll just agree to be right and you can continue to stick your head in the sand. Go support Michael Bennett. You and he can make up some more fairytales as we go. Until one can admit problems in their own house it’s difficult to tell other people how to run theirs.

Last edited:
Post of the day...

QUOTE="Vonburns1, post: 6512569, member: 5300"]It's not a First Amendment matter. It's a Black Lives Matter issue. It's a anti-law enforcement matter. It's a political matter being forcing upon paying customers who want nothing more than to root for their favorite team, but instead are met with an insult. It's an insult to every veteran and every patriotic American. It's an insult started by a player who wore socks portraying police as pigs. It's an insult hurled by millionaires at the average working person.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: fabcat
There are many veterans that have said they support the players, I guess their opinions don't matter? The Titians had one player who participated in the protest and his brother was killed in Afghanistan. He clearly isn't insulting veterans. Besides, if you "fought for freedom" yet don't want some to exercise that freedom then you didn't really fight for that freedom...just the freedoms you with which you agree.
Fuzz, what you (again) fail to get through your thick skull is that few, if any, posters have argued that the players don't have a right to protest- at least, not insofar as state action is concerned. They have the right to protest; when they do so, they are effectively making a statement. A person has a right to make a statement, and those who are subjected to it have a similar right to make a response- and, if the response includes a boycott, so be it. I fail to understand how you cannot comprehend this simple concept, but, then again, I fail to understand why someone would boldly refuse to pay a bet that one lost.

At this point, I personally wish a couple of players would go out to mid-field, plant a Nazi flag & a CSA flag, then do "Heil Hitler" salutes during the national anthem, while wearing SS or CSA uniforms. Would anybody at the NFL office support their rights? I think you know the answer to that.

I don't care if they protest or what they believe, as long as it's on their own time. I think the vast majority of working people are told (I sure was!) they can't express political statements at their workplace, but can do what they wish once they leave work, so long as the employer isn't associated with their actions. Once you allow your company or organization to take a political stance, you risk alienating 50% of your customers & if that 50% turns out to be a good portion of your base customers, well, you'll just have to suffer the consequences.

Spica Orbit

Reactions: CatCrazyChuk
what was that bet? remember talk of it.
$1000 to another poster, but I don't recall the specific nature of the bet. When he lost, he just refused to pay, and claimed that bets on the Internet were hypothetical and not real. When the winner offered to donate the payout to charity, he still refused.

I am sure others feel the same, but this BS with the instant replay is killing college and pro sports. Have the refs make the call and live with it. Then Diggs makes the catch of his life, jumps on the bench and stands there with his arms folded, looking like he was some sort of gangster or street thug and then when Chris Meyers interviews him, he wants to give all the glory to God. You can't be all into your self and then praise a higher power. Give me a freakin' break Diggs..
:cry:

I personally feel there are better and more effective ways to improve the Black Lives Matter platform than kneeling during the anthem. They could also do a better job of accepting responsibility for some of the issues in their own communities and with the police. However, I don't live in those communities and can't say that their complaints don't have any merit. I respect their right to protest as long as the game itself is not effected. I would rather put up with this minor protest issue than live in a country where you are forced to salute a flag or feel compelled by the masses to do so.
It is quite simple.....either you force people (through laws or public shaming/pressure) to salute our flag or you don't.
Seems as though some posters on here think Hitler had it right.
source.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT