OT....pro football killing a gold goose

Status
Not open for further replies.

billoliver40

Senior
Dec 16, 2015
Trenton ky
Pro ball...
By rights, the last game should be all that's good about the game....but....

The anthem debacle
Players wanting the street lookatme tough guy poses
And most frustrating having to have four angles, five minutes, six officials and a replay booth to see if a catch is a catch on every other completion...

C'mon, man.......

And most frustrating having to have four angles, five minutes, six officials and a replay booth to see if a catch is a catch on every other completion...

you nailed it there. I think the replay/review process was a huge improvement in football, but the last few years the NFL has taken things to an extreme. We're almost to the point where you don't need officials on the field anymore. Just let the "experts" in NY watch every play and make the calls.

The catch rule really needs to be simplified. IMO if a player catches the ball and has it grasped in this hands, it's a catch, regardless of what happens when he hits the ground or if he makes a "football move" or not. Simpler rules will require less, and shorter reviews.

I am sure others feel the same, but this BS with the instant replay is killing college and pro sports. Have the refs make the call and live with it. Then Diggs makes the catch of his life, jumps on the bench and stands there with his arms folded, looking like he was some sort of gangster or street thug and then when Chris Meyers interviews him, he wants to give all the glory to God. You can't be all into your self and then praise a higher power. Give me a freakin' break Diggs..

I am sure others feel the same, but this BS with the instant replay is killing college and pro sports. Have the refs make the call and live with it. Then Diggs makes the catch of his life, jumps on the bench and stands there with his arms folded, looking like he was some sort of gangster or street thug and then when Chris Meyers interviews him, he wants to give all the glory to God. You can't be all into your self and then praise a higher power. Give me a freakin' break Diggs..
Folding your arms makes you look like a gangster or street thug? I’ll have to make sure and look for that when I drive through the hood.

Pro ball...
By rights, the last game should be all that's good about the game....but....

The anthem debacle
Players wanting the street lookatme tough guy poses

C'mon, man.......

Someone is an old man who hates everything that he doesn’t agree with 100% - sorry the world isn’t full of people exactly like you.

I never noticed the “anthem debacle” because I’m not a snowflake who freaks out over a person taking a knee to make a point even when I don’t agree with the point. I don’t look for “I’m a better American than you!” moments but just do things my way and don’t care if you do them yours as long as it doesn’t hurt me.

Much easier way to get through life imo.

I always thought gangsters and street thugs did drive by shootings and sold drugs to pregnant hookers. But you’re right. Posing for pictures sure is some scary shit.

Replay is my only gripe with pro football. The anthem debacle is such a polarizing subject but if you believe in the 1st amendment as strongly as I do you should be disgusted by how many have reacted. The right to sit/kneel during the anthem is the same as the right to stand. If you believe otherwise you are wrong. I will note that I disagree with the kneeling, I just recognize every person has a right to free speech and protest. Now the fact that these guys are paid employees is a different subject. Pro football is king in my book.

I have no problem with individuals expressing their First Amendment rights - none at all. What I have a problem with is a) turning a sporting event into a political statement and b) the complete hypocrisy of pampered, millionaire athletes 'identifying' with people with whom they have absolutely nothing in common beside perhaps their skin color. If an NFL player wants to make a political statement, then, by all means, give a speech, buy some TV time and have a debate. But, I watch sports to watch sports not to hear some lunkhead who has less than a solid HS education use his forum to preach his brand of politics. I would say that the vast majority of NFL players are woefully ignorant of even the most basic issues facing our country. For that matter, I don't appreciate actors, musicians, etc. who do the same thing. I'm not paying my money or spending my time watching the NFL to hear what some DE from Jacksonville thinks about the state of the world. He's absolutely got the right to have and express an opinion but pick an appropriate time.

And the very notion that NFL athletes have been discriminated and put down by the Man/System is beyond ridiculous. They've pretty much all had the world given to them since they were in high school. Not that they don't work hard and put their bodies at risk but, c'mon, they haven't been harmed one iota by the System. Not one iota.

That game was unreal. All timer.

Pretty amazing day of football.

Blake Bortles and the Jaguars-(Sacksonville) coming of age and the play by Keenum and Diggs is what makes the NFL still the Leader in North American Sports...even with “Declining Ratings”it blews every other sport away in regards to interest.

Meanwhile in Foxboro next week....

Replay is my only gripe with pro football. The anthem debacle is such a polarizing subject but if you believe in the 1st amendment as strongly as I do you should be disgusted by how many have reacted. The right to sit/kneel during the anthem is the same as the right to stand. If you believe otherwise you are wrong. I will note that I disagree with the kneeling, I just recognize every person has a right to free speech and protest. Now the fact that these guys are paid employees is a different subject. Pro football is king in my book.

So we are to be disgusted with those that are disgusted with the kneelers and stopped watching the NFL? Do I follow that correctly?

I never understood why people would stop watching because some players made a silent non-violent protest about real issues. Talking heads made too big a deal about it for sure though. Everyone has to be outraged by everything. If it doesn't affect you, don't let it.

It affects me...I spent many years in the last two decades trying to keep 20yo soldiers alive and draping the flag over their coffin to send them home. Screw these punks and people who don't give a **** about who fights for their 1st Amendment rights. Kneeling for the flag is respect to all of the fallen...do yourself a favor and go to Arlington National Cemetary for a weekend.

I am a one hundred per cent supporter of the first amendment . Yes I believe people even have a right to burn the flag if they want to.
But the point many are missing is I have a right as well to not patronize or do business with anyone who disrespects the flag.
That us why when you are in someone else’s employment you do not have the right to exercise your first amendment rights if they don’t want you to do it on their time and payroll.
What if you had a problem with your phone service . You call att tech support . And the first thing out of the tech s mouth was either a pro choice or pro life pitch regarding abortion . You would demand that person be fired and rightly so for bringing their issue up on company time.

The No Fun League has every right in the world to insist any employee of a team playing in the league respect the flag . And they did so with the rules in force at the time. However they cowardly did not enforce their Own rules .

you want to exercise your first amendment right do on your own time and dime not your employers . That is the difference here.

I have no problem with individuals expressing their First Amendment rights - none at all. What I have a problem with is a) turning a sporting event into a political statement and b) the complete hypocrisy of pampered, millionaire athletes 'identifying' with people with whom they have absolutely nothing in common beside perhaps their skin color. If an NFL player wants to make a political statement, then, by all means, give a speech, buy some TV time and have a debate. But, I watch sports to watch sports not to hear some lunkhead who has less than a solid HS education use his forum to preach his brand of politics. I would say that the vast majority of NFL players are woefully ignorant of even the most basic issues facing our country. For that matter, I don't appreciate actors, musicians, etc. who do the same thing. I'm not paying my money or spending my time watching the NFL to hear what some DE from Jacksonville thinks about the state of the world. He's absolutely got the right to have and express an opinion but pick an appropriate time.

And the very notion that NFL athletes have been discriminated and put down by the Man/System is beyond ridiculous. They've pretty much all had the world given to them since they were in high school. Not that they don't work hard and put their bodies at risk but, c'mon, they haven't been harmed one iota by the System. Not one iota.
They’re doing it for other black folks. Like their brothers, dads, uncles, etc who weren’t as talented as them and had to deal with that stuff. Politics are everywhere now, get used to it. The funny thing is that most people that are turning off the NFL because it’s too political are turning on Fox News instead. That’s a great place to get away from politics.

Not standing up for the Anthem will kill the NFL because advertisers will eventually get tired and won't risked fans boycotting their products. I blame the owners because they cold have put a stop to this before it got out of hand. Don't give me this first admenment crap because the NFL is a private club full of owners that can make up the rules.If you want to protest the Anthem do it on your own time outside the stadium but inside the stadium these players are being paid a lot of money. I like Trump's statement if you don't respect the flag, Anthem, you should be "fired".

If an NFL player wants to make a political statement, then, by all means, give a speech, buy some TV time and have a debate.

when giving an interview, the athlete is in essence, giving a speech. Why pay for TV time when reporters ask your opinion for free?

the complete hypocrisy of pampered, millionaire athletes 'identifying' with people with whom they have absolutely nothing in common beside perhaps their skin color.

Feel it's safe to say, most NFL players didn't grow up as a millionaire. Thus, they can identify with those they are showing compassion for.

But, I watch sports to watch sports not to hear some lunkhead who has less than a solid HS education use his forum to preach his brand of politics. I would say that the vast majority of NFL players are woefully ignorant of even the most basic issues facing our country.

so, a man who plays football is a "lunkhead"? Would it be his fault for getting promoted from high school to college because he is a standout athlete? how many NFL players you know? Has to be a lot to say the vast majority are woefully ignorant of basic issues.

He's absolutely got the right to have and express an opinion but pick an appropriate time.

when you're comfortable with it?

And the very notion that NFL athletes have been discriminated and put down by the Man/System is beyond ridiculous. They've pretty much all had the world given to them since they were in high school.

Have you thought the reason you call them "lunkhead" and put them down for their lack of education is because they were used and pushed thru in high school and college because they could play football. Is that part of having the world given to them?

they haven't been harmed one iota by the System. Not one iota.

Have you been harmed by an NFL player taking a knee? Didn't think so.

You realize that a large portion of the players in the NFL come from impoverished beginnings right? Why do you have a problem with people voicing their opinions? It doesn't matter if they are an actor, professional athlete, plumber, or teacher. Every citizen in this country has a right to voice their opinion about the state of this country. What you think about it doesn't mean a damn thing. And why are they woefully ignorant? You think only dumb people play football? You think athletes are inherently ignorant? Or do you think black people are ignorant? I'm gonna go with the latter. Peace.

It affects me...I spent many years in the last two decades trying to keep 20yo soldiers alive and draping the flag over their coffin to send them home. Screw these punks and people who don't give a **** about who fights for their 1st Amendment rights. Kneeling for the flag is respect to all of the fallen...do yourself a favor and go to Arlington National Cemetary for a weekend.

I’m a Veteran and Former NCO of the United States Army-(SGT, E5), my father is also a Retired Veteran of the United States Army-(E9, CSM). Neither one of us have an issue with what they are doing...we both see it as something that is that individual right to do and they are not violating any NFL Bylaws...they are only required to be on the field...they are not required to stand at attention.

People everyday do and say disgusting things that I disagree with, but as long as they are not breaking the law I have no real issue with it. The NFL players aren’t breaking the law by taking a knee. If they want to make it non political, do what Colleges do or what the NFL use to do between the 1980s and 2009...have the players stay in the Lockerroom. The only reason why they are in the field is because the United States Recruiting Command gave the NFL Millions of dollars to make that happen.

If kneeling offends you that you and I understand...don’t speak for others that also served for this Nation.....and again that was an all time classic game that I and millions enjoyed...myself looking forward to Championship Sunday....Jaguars @ Patriots and Vikings @ Eagles...

Last edited:
What’s the anthem debacle? The fact that they had to show every team during the anthem? Or the fact that 2nd amendment loving rednecks everywhere proclaimed their hatred for the first amendment?

Well that's one way to look at it, while safely sitting at home, while others are dying in order to keep your ignorant butt safe.

Reactions: Hjack
They’re doing it for other black folks. Like their brothers, dads, uncles, etc who weren’t as talented as them and had to deal with that stuff. Politics are everywhere now, get used to it. The funny thing is that most people that are turning off the NFL because it’s too political are turning on Fox News instead. That’s a great place to get away from politics.
The lie is that blacks are being oppressed when in fact police treat them better than whites wrt violence. Check out the stats on police use of force per encounter. It's higher for whites. This "movement" all came out from the first lie of Ferguson. And racism isn't the reason for blacks lesser economic success. There is zero statistical data to support that. So what this comes down to for me is the "I'm a victim" mindset of blacks regardless of each's wealth. And those that kneel are all in on that. I'm not buying. Total BS.

You realize that a large portion of the players in the NFL come from impoverished beginnings right? Why do you have a problem with people voicing their opinions? It doesn't matter if they are an actor, professional athlete, plumber, or teacher. Every citizen in this country has a right to voice their opinion about the state of this country. What you think about it doesn't mean a damn thing. And why are they woefully ignorant? You think only dumb people play football? You think athletes are inherently ignorant? Or do you think black people are ignorant? I'm gonna go with the latter. Peace.
You set a lot of strawmen on fire with that post. Of course everyone has the right to free speech in this great country. However, it should be noted that free speech is severely restricted in the workplace by the whims of the employer in question. Just ask conservatives in Silicon Valley or the mainstream media how freedom of speech in the workplace works for them. NFL games are a workplace, and I go / watch NFL games to enjoy athletic competition, not to engage in social protest. If the players want to protest injustice, fine, just do it on your own time.

Don't forget this all started when Colin Kaeparnik (sp?) decided to sit during the national anthem. He only started kneeling when he realized sitting was a horrible look. Yes, I dislike him a lot; the other players who kneel I generally ignore for the most part.

Define what you consider impoverished. Most players in the NFL come from that? Do you have any stats to back that up?

Folding your arms makes you look like a gangster or street thug? I’ll have to make sure and look for that when I drive through the hood.

We all know what is implied between the lines when words like "gangster" and "street thug" get dropped.

Guess who never gets called a "gangster" or "street thug" despite earning the monitor WAY more than a guy like Diggs? His name starts with "G" and ends with "ronkowski". Can't imagine why.....

Reactions: mattrudd
I watch Fox News because I want to see and hear political thoughts. I (used to) watch NFL because I wanted to see football.

It drives me freaking crazy how some people twist the intentions of the kneeling statement. Look, the kneeling has nothing to do with wars, flags,, veterans, soldiers, or anything like that. The players kneeling are doing it over another issue. An issue that is important in the black community but means nothing to all of those flag waiving white folks who are so easily offended. How the hell does anyone start expressing outrage over a percieved intent or slight that doesn't even exist. The protest has nothing, nothing to do with you faux patriotism, war loving, soldier loving, tearshedding victims. Why is that not clear?

? Or the fact that 2nd amendment loving rednecks everywhere proclaimed their hatred for the first amendment?

One might note that hating what people do with their 1st amendment rights is not the same thing as hating the right itself. For instance, I hate that you used a straw man fallacy to falsely characterize people that respect the anthem, but I'll defend your right to do so until the day I die.

Not paying proper respect to the American flag and our national anthem in my opinion disrespects those who gave and are giving their life to protect our country. Our country isn’t perfect but it’s still the greatest country in the world.

I’m a Veteran and Former NCO of the United States Army-(SGT, E5), my father is also a Retired Veteran of the United States Army-(E9, CSM). Neither one of us have an issue with what they are doing...we both see it as something that is that individual right to do and they are not violating any NFL Bylaws...they are only required to be on the field...they are not required to stand at attention.

People everyday do and say disgusting things that I disagree with, but as long as they are not breaking the law I have no real issue with it. The NFL players aren’t breaking the law by taking a knee. If they want to make it non political, do what Colleges do or what the NFL use to do between the 1980s and 2009...have the players stay in the Lockerroom. The only reason why they are in the field is because the United States Recruiting Command gave the NFL Millions of dollars to make that happen.

If kneeling offends you that you and I understand...don’t speak for others that also served for this Nation.....and again that was an all time classic game that I and millions enjoyed...myself looking forward to Championship Sunday....Jaguars @ Patriots and Vikings @ Eagles...
It is not a "right" and the NFL most certainly does have a policy against the protests.

Reactions: seccats04
What’s the anthem debacle? The fact that they had to show every team during the anthem? Or the fact that 2nd amendment loving rednecks everywhere proclaimed their hatred for the first amendment?

Or a bunch of snowflake/yuppies watching football while fapping to men in spandex declared who gives two flips about this country and freedom.

Reactions: seccats04
I absolutely hate all the replays, pro and college. When the replay thing first started in the NFL, wasn't both teams given two or whatever number of challenges? I don't remember as many reviews in the beginning of replay.

Pretty funny the official made Belichick actually THROW is challenge flag, tried to catch it, and missed. Love 'ol Bill!!!

It is not a "right" and the NFL most certainly does have a policy against the protests.

The change to having players and coaches on the sideline for the anthem was made in 2009. The current league policy says that players must be on the sideline for the anthem. It suggests but does not require that players stand for the anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT