ADVERTISEMENT

OT; Northwestern’s Coach In Trouble

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018
Hazing accusations…

According to the player who spoke with The Daily, Fitzgerald repeatedly made the signal during practices when players, specifically freshmen, made a mistake.

The player believes some players interpreted Fitzgerald making these signals as knowingly “encouraging” the hazing to continue.

“Everyone would just be looking at each other and be like ‘bro, Fitz knows about this,’ because you wouldn’t take that action otherwise,” the player said. “Everyone joins in, because he’s the head coach.”

"In addition to “running,” the whistleblower alleged that he witnessed the team participate in other hazing traditions in which freshmen were forced to strip naked and perform various acts, including bear crawling and slingshotting themselves across the floor with exercise bands.

In a once-a-year tradition dubbed “the carwash,” the first player said that some players would stand naked at the entrance to the showers and spin around, forcing those entering the showers to “basically (rub) up against a bare-naked man.” Upon entering the showers, the player alleged that players set up a hose they connected to the shower to spray people. "

"The player also alleged that he witnessed and was forced to participate in what he called a naked center-quarterback exchange, wherein a freshman quarterback was forced to take an under-center snap from a freshman center, while both players were naked.

The player said that on one instance, another player was “very vocally adamant” about not wanting to participate in this exchange. Older players threatened to “run him” if he refused and there was “no other option,” according to the player."

If this is true and he knew about it and also participated. He should lose his job. With the Penn St fiasco with Sandusky I cannot believe a coach would be stupid enough to have anything to do with this.

As for the hazing itself. I’m sure it goes on at about every school, but to what extent I doubt to reaches the level of this Bullshit.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I’m hoping Pat just saw the guys clapping and figured it was them pointing out someone messed up or something. Hard to keep up with all the signs and signals kids keep making up! If not and he knew exactly what was going on he should be let go and never be allowed around young people again. I truly hope it’s him not knowing and they fix this issue. No young person deserves to be treated like that. I appreciate whoever came forward, it took a tremendous amount of courage to do so. Get this resolved now and move forward. Thank the lord it wasn’t worse than what it was! Well, hopefully it isn’t.

How bizarre.

“Exaggerated?”

OK, that implies the allegations were essentially true, but pumped up a bit.

Why does this type of sh!t keep coming out of Northern tier schools?

Reactions: Greezy Kreek
We'll see what more comes out but I'm going to need much more proof before I decide a coach knew about all this stuff. The lighter stuff? Maybe. But if the serious stuff actually happened, I'd be surprised if he knew.

Seems like every summer there is a weird firing or retirement of a prominent CFB head coach

Tressell and Freeze were summer firings. Bob Stoops retired in June.

Andy Staples correctly points out this job while looking like a smoldering crater disaster will in fact attract many top name guys for this job

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
The TV money definitely helps for assistant pay pool and recruiting budget. New facilities too. I still think it will be hard to recruit there given academic standards and the portal which have previously hurt NU, Stanford, and Vandy according to national reporters.

Not that the next guy can't succeed, but he'll have to hit lots of doubles and triples in the signing classes year-to-year to consistently get above the 7 win mark.

hmmm

Wouldn't mind Bryce Gallagher, Reggie Fleurima, or Xander Mueller if we had infinite roster spots. I don't know if their offensive line has any good prospects left given their best got drafted by Tennessee I believe.

Last edited:
Sure they can transfer, but window to be eligible to play elsewhere in 2023 closed 2 months ago

Sure they can transfer, but window to be eligible to play elsewhere in 2023 closed 2 months ago
I think if a coach leaves or is fired, a new temporary window opens for the players on that team to transfer with immediate eligibility. That scenario played out in WVU with Huggy Bear and is why Tre Mitchell is eligible to play here even though the normal transfer window had closed.

Reactions: JDHoss
I think if a coach leaves or is fired, a new temporary window opens for the players on that team to transfer with immediate eligibility. That scenario played out in WVU with Huggy Bear and is why Tre Mitchell is eligible to play here even though the normal transfer window had closed.
Tre is a grad transfer. They can transfer outside of the portal window.

Maybe so but my statement about a temporary transfer window is still correct due to coach leaving.

True. With Tre he could have under the grad transfer rule. Even if they had not granted the players the 30 day window Tre could have still transferred. That was my point

Mizzou is getting a guy from NW supposedly. Not sure if announced but a fan of theirs is saying he's on his way.

True. With Tre he could have under the grad transfer rule. Even if they had not granted the players the 30 day window Tre could have still transferred. That was my point
I forgot Tre was a grad transfer but he was the only one that I knew off the top of my head that may have been using the rule to transfer when Huggins "resigned" (or whatever the heck he is doing now).

Reactions: fabcat
Now the baseball coach has been fired after one season for alleged abuse of his players and coaching staff.

hmmm

Wouldn't mind Bryce Gallagher, Reggie Fleurima, or Xander Mueller if we had infinite roster spots. I don't know if their offensive line has any good prospects left given their best got drafted by Tennessee I believe.
Guess I wouldn't mind Nigel Glover either. Class of 2022 four star...6'3'' NB but possibly a WILL depending on how much good weight he could add. No stats from 2022 season. NU profile: https://nusports.com/sports/football/roster/nigel-glover/10896

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT