ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Las Vegas

They called us Hippies
Drugs
Sexual revolution
Campus riots over Vietnam
Then we grew up and divorced our wife/husband and decided Greed is Good
And our generation’s politicians are an embarrassment

They can’t do much worse! Give them time. I believe...

Last edited:
Sigh......

Any attempted ban of any weapon is disguised policy. This is well known and understood.

Did you know if you've got the right paper work and cash you can have a tank? Yes, that's right. You can own it.

These laws create a divide between the haves and the have nots. That's all they do. Rich guys will ALWAYS be allowed to own them, all a new law will do is take them from you and I.

I'm not totally sure what you think the threshold is for protection from a tyrannical government, but I think you'd agree a .380 and single shot rifle is not enough to offset it.

There's people who think history doesn't repeat and our government today are good guys. I don't.

In the state of emergency that the people should need to form a militia, you'd have a large chunk of the military joining as well. Theoretically we would want them armed to the teeth to fight the tyranny.

Nothing good comes from allowing governments to dictate the right of the people to own any weapon of their choosing.

I'm not starting this conversation I'm just answering the question.
Sigh....

It’s cute you think some automatic weapons and mostly untrained people are going to defeat the world’s largest and most powerful military. I’m sure you realize the type of weapons at their disposal.

It might have worked in the 1700s when you were mostly fighting with guns, but those days are long gone.

That’s just being realistic. I’m all for people having the right to own guns for protection and hunting, but I always chuckle when the “defeating a tyrannical government” argument pops up. Good luck with that.

Sigh....

It’s cute you think some automatic weapons and mostly untrained people are going to defeat the world’s largest and most powerful military. I’m sure you realize the type of weapons at their disposal.

It might have worked in the 1700s when you were mostly fighting with guns, but those days are long gone.

That’s just being realistic. I’m all for people having the right to own guns for protection and hunting, but I always chuckle when the “defeating a tyrannical government” argument pops up. Good luck with that.

Theoretically, in modern day civilization you'd have large amounts of former and current military heading the militia. The government's army would be much smaller than it is in its current state. They probably would not be able to mount the sort of campaign you're thinking. Not in this country.

Ammunition and weapons would be extremely important from the civilian world. The government would stop production and what we have would be what we have.

It's not all about taking back the country. Although it's a part. a large part of it is survival. You also have to worry about anarchy today, which is turning into a real possibility. I don't want a single shot bolt action when history repeats itself.

I could go on but it's a pointless argument. The politicalization of the topic has watered down the truth to the point where we have people who think law enforcement is gunning down unarmed men in record numbers but then also want only those officers with high powered weapons.

I'm done as there's little room for agreement.

Sigh....

It’s cute you think some automatic weapons and mostly untrained people are going to defeat the world’s largest and most powerful military. I’m sure you realize the type of weapons at their disposal..

As a former Army infantry officer I would suggest you start your research with oh, I don't know, the Viet Cong. From there I would learn a lot about guerrilla tactics, read Sun Tzu from front to back, and then spend a few hours in deep thought.

While we have the ability to rain down upon thee seven levels of Hell those who fight unconventional warfare against us do plenty of damage.

As pointed out by that very poster there are strict rules and guidelines in place for those who want to acquire those particular weapons. Several things you need to understand. Being that our officer corps takes an oath to support and defend the Constitution and it's ingrained within that corps to not follow unethical and immoral orders it's highly likely in a situation that calls for it that our citizens on the right side of said issue aren't going to be going at it alone. Secondly, I think you severely underestimate the numbers of our general public who have been trained in the art of warfare. If there is one group of citizens in the world that I would not want to come in contact with on the field of battle, it would be our own. Not only have we been trained we have the arsenal in our possession.

But to the point of the poster before me, this stuff needs to be knocked off. Not the time for it.

Your talking a different subject that the op intended. You would sing different tune if you were in that crowd who where shot at.

No I wouldn't. Because if I had a dead family member there, I wouldn't blame the gun.

I'm waiting on you to go after the anti-gun brigade who actually started this conversation. I only answered and responded.

No I wouldn't. Because if I had a dead family member there, I wouldn't blame the gun.

I'm waiting on you to go after the anti-gun brigade who actually started this conversation. I only answered and responded.
I don't own a gun but I am saving for some. I am gonna get license to carry one. I am ex military and have qualified on many (small arms) guns.

Reactions: morgousky
Morgousky, you are fighting a losing battle brother. I appreciate the fight you and WesternSpeedDemon have though. One of these days we are going to need to seriously consider people's mental health in this country, so maybe we can get out ahead of some of these things.

Reactions: morgousky
Morgousky, you are fighting a losing battle brother. I appreciate the fight you and WesternSpeedDemon have though. One of these days we are going to need to seriously consider people's mental health in this country, so maybe we can get out ahead of some of these things.

I already know. I'm officially done.

How this guy got his gun up to the that floor on the hotel is a weakness in security that needs to be addressed. You can question: "who would of thought that?" but that is the security question experts need/should all ready thought of, to consider and paid to do so.
I bet there are people that get paid BIG MONEY to secure those hotels. They are failing miserly.

Last edited:
Wife and I are here staying in Vegas at The Orleans....we were on strip last night within a block of shooting, but thankfully headed back to our hotel around 8 30.....have seen hundreds today lined up to donate water, food and blood.....such a horrible event....

Reactions: UKvisitor
Wife and I are here staying in Vegas at The Orleans....we were on strip last night within a block of shooting, but thankfully headed back to our hotel around 8 30.....have seen hundreds today lined up to donate water, food and blood.....such a horrible event....
What a vacation/business trip! Has be to be 9/11 like memory for you.

What a vacation/business trip! Has be to be 9/11 like memory for you.
Vacation..We were back in our room without the tv on and went to bed fairly early (bodies still on east coast time)..I started getting phone calls and texts around 3 30 am Las Vegas time from friends and family in North Carolina who had heard what happened...I got up and looked out our window that faces the strip and saw blue/red lights everywhere near New York NewYork hotel....just can't imagine the horror....and I was in law enforcement for 30 years

Vacation..We were back in our room without the tv on and went to bed fairly early (bodies still on east coast time)..I started getting phone calls and texts around 3 30 am Las Vegas time from friends and family in North Carolina who had heard what happened...I got up and looked out our window that faces the strip and saw blue/red lights everywhere near New York NewYork hotel....just can't imagine the horror....and I was in law enforcement for 30 years
Had to be GQ moment, "sound general quarters". Uneasy moments. Glad you and yours were spectators, even though that hurts too.

How this guy got his gun up to the that floor on the hotel is a weakness in security that needs to be addressed. You can question: "who would of thought that?" but that is the security question experts need/should all ready thought of, to consider and paid to do so.
I bet there are people that get paid BIG MONEY to secure those hotels. They are failing miserly.

how could you not?

Kind of easy to do actually. Can't really blame anyone in regards to security.

what can you do?

Security checkpoints with mandatory checks of any luggage being brought in.

You could do this in a manner in which you wouldn't have to inconvenience someone every time they enter. Pretty simple. You have luggage or bags upon entry you get checked. They do this very thing at many sporting events I attend.

impossible and

that still wouldn't have done anything, because he had guns legally...

No it's not impossible. They check people with bags and coolers at every single auto race I go to. If you don't have a bag or cooler you get waved through.

I'm just telling you that from a standpoint of hotels in high traffic tourist areas this might very well be something that gets implemented. Has nothing to do with if the gun is legal or not. Can those hotel restrict where firearms are taken in their buildings? I would assume these large hotels in an area such as this employees security.

Last edited:
No it's not impossible. They check people with bags and coolers at every single auto race I go to. If you don't have a bag or cooler you get waved through.

I'm just telling you that from a standpoint of hotels in high traffic tourist areas this might very well be something gets implemented. Has nothing to do with if the gun is legal or not. Can those hotel restrict where firearms are taken in their buildings?

thats an event. You asking hotels to add insane amount of security, especially in a high traffic area in Las Vegas. Hotel consumer would basically say **** this bull shit. I travel enough, checking in already is extremely annoying. Muchless security process, and not to mention EVERY time you go in and out of the hotel? that would never last.

thats an event. You asking hotels to add insane amount of security, especially in a high traffic area in Las Vegas. Hotel consumer would basically say **** this bull shit. I travel enough, checking in already is extremely annoying. Muchless security process, and not to mention EVERY time you go in and out of the hotel? that would never last.

It wouldn't take an insane amount of security to implement nor would it cause the inconvenience you seem to think. Hell, these places probably already have enough security to implement it. You create a choke point at the entrance and those with bags go here while those without them get waved through. It doesn't take a whole Hell of a lot of time to freaking open a bag and have a look. It takes even less time to run it through x-ray.

I think the average consumer would take this "BS" inconvenience over finding the hotel they are staying in becoming a platform for a shooter that's taking aim at them.

Whether you like it or not, these are things that these businesses need to be taking into consideration when located in high traffic tourist areas. Should have already been doing that. If some off his rocker 60 something is thinking this out I can bet bottom dollar Jihad Johnny is already on it.

On to the security issue.

I wont do business with gun safe zones and there are many individuals such as myself who don't feel secure disarmed. I try limit where I go based on this idea.

So I'm against hotels creating more gun free zones that will have no effect. It's not an answer.

Most people think they understand firearms because they've got great grandpas double barrel or watched too many movies.

The reason gun laws don't work is because there's too many scenarios to ban. You can't regulate evil. For example, if I were insane and wanted to cause carnage, the first thing I'm going to do pick soft targets. Then I'd use weaponry that has takedown capacity which means you won't know it and I'd be concealing 5 Compact carbines that connect
Together and break down. Your little door sign is an invitation.

The answer is, pray you aren't in an area with a mentally disturbed individual who's been planning how to kill you for months. That's it. For some reason humans believe they can cure the world of bad, and we can't.

The answer is there is no answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrm693
It wouldn't take an insane amount of security to implement nor would it cause the inconvenience you seem to think. Hell, these places probably already have enough security to implement it. You create a choke point at the entrance and those with bags go here while those without them get waved through. It doesn't take a whole Hell of a lot of time to freaking open a bag and have a look. It takes even less time to run it through x-ray.

I think the average consumer would take this "BS" inconvenience over finding the hotel they are staying in becoming a platform for a shooter that's taking aim at them.

Whether you like it or not, these are things that these businesses need to be taking into consideration when located in high traffic tourist areas. Should have already been doing that. If some off his rocker 60 something is thinking this out I can bet bottom dollar Jihad Johnny is already on it.
It wouldn't have stopped him. Look, the guy didn't have to check into a hotel to shoot these people. He could have driven to a particular vantage point and started firing into the crowd just the same.

You can't possibly safe proof the entire Country from nut cases. I'm all for being as safe as reasonably possible, but you can still find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When will we take note of what the REST of the modernized world does in regard to guns. The mass shooting rate in the US is 5-10 times higher than everywhere else. The data is there, the example is there, it works, and it is time to follow the leaders.

Reactions: brdmn22
You can't possibly safe proof the entire Country from nut cases.
You can try. Maybe surrendering is what you do, not me.

Actually that is what we have to do, (safe proof the entire nation). It will never end unless we do. Giving terrorist a chance to do harm is a crime.

Last edited:
It wouldn't have stopped him. Look, the guy didn't have to check into a hotel to shoot these people. He could have driven to a particular vantage point and started firing into the crowd just the same. Y

You can't possibly safe proof the entire Country from nut cases. I'm all for being as safe as reasonably possible, but you can still find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

While I totally agree with you in regards to the safe proofing the entire country you just made my point in the first paragraph. You keep these people on the ground as much as possible, don't freely give them access to a secure above ground vantage point unchecked.

I'm all about freedom but I also understand reality of the situation. When you own a highly trafficked high rise with public access that surround highly trafficked targets these are things that you really need to consider.

I would have to think those businesses on that strip are having this very conversation at the moment.

And there are ways of these businesses doing this very thing without fully stomping over the rights of citizens. Restrictions on what type of weapons, etc can be implemented. Secure guarded storage for those traveling with long guns, etc.

Last edited:
The private security presence at The Orleans today is massive.....many more working than I have ever seen and this is our 7th or 8th trip here. Not surprising...

Reactions: jrc333
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT