ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is Lamar Jackson overrated?

"The media wants him to be the face of the league (I'll leave it to you to decide why that is)", tells me all I need to know about your opinion. But for the record, why do YOU think that is ?
Also, exactly what great weapons has he had around him ? Andrews the TE is the only pass catcher who has amounted to anything. Flowers will be great, but he is young and hasn't been there long. Tons of talent ? Where and who ? SO you think a two time league MVP is overrated ? Nah, you just do not like him is the real answer.
I submit that most don't like him (including myself) because he is toothbeak dirty bird.
Point blank period.
L's down forever!

• Haha
Reactions: Lempface
And he lost to the Titans in 2019 in their first playoff game. 530 yards and scored 12 points. Look man you're making the case for me. 😂😂

Edit: he has 2 playoff wins.

That was such a weird game as a Titans fan. They dominated us yards wise but the D was epitome of bend but not break and opportunistic.

• Love
I'm just curious who you would put in front of him as better QB's
In no particular order:

-Mahomes (duh)
-Burrow
-Allen
-Herbert
-Stroud
-Stafford
-Rodgers

Obviously, Lamar has better results (so far) than some of these but I attribute that to time in league (i.e. some of these guys are younger) and organization (the ravens have one of the best organizations in football and the chargers have one of the worst, as an example).

I think there is another group that may end up being better than him too (I'm doubtful on a few of these like Dak, but bullish on a few others like Love and Lawrence):

-Love
-Goff
-Lawrence
-Dak
-Hurts

"The media wants him to be the face of the league (I'll leave it to you to decide why that is)", tells me all I need to know about your opinion. But for the record, why do YOU think that is ?
Also, exactly what great weapons has he had around him ? Andrews the TE is the only pass catcher who has amounted to anything. Flowers will be great, but he is young and hasn't been there long. Tons of talent ? Where and who ? SO you think a two time league MVP is overrated ? Nah, you just do not like him is the real answer.
He has one of, if not THE, best defenses every year. He has one of the best front offices in football. He has one of the best OL and DL every single year. He has one of the best stables of RB every year. The only point of potential weakness on that team has been the WR corps, but they went out of their way to beef it up last year and he still lost on his home field as the top seed.

Yes, I think a two time MVP is overrated (and I don't think he deserved to be MVP). He has a 2-4 playoff record and almost all of those losses were to lower seeds. Overrated.

He has. 2 NFL MVP's (Most Valuable PLAYER), in case you didn't know what MVP stood for. Other than Mahomes, what have the other QB's listed as "better" than Jackson won ? NOTHING.

His 2019 season (1st MVP title), he posted stats of 3,127 passing yards /36 TD's / ONLY 6 INT's to go along with 1,206 rushing yards and another 5 TD's. He accounted for 4,333 yards and 43 TD's against only 6 INT's. Show me a QB who is supposedly better than him, have a year like that ? The Ravens finished 14-2 and lead the league in points scored, Lamar Jackson was responsible for most of those points. They lost to the Titans in the playoffs that year, but not because of Jackson, he was 31/59 for 345 yards and also ran for 185 yards. He accounted for 530 yards.
Guys like you slurp on Lamar and you love to talk about his stats, but any losses or shortcomings are always the fault of someone else. The other night, his defense bailed out his bad plays (turnover deep in Chiefs territory, and they held them to FG; turnover on downs after Lamar stupidly tries to truck someone on his way out of bounds five yards short of the marker and the D held chiefs to a second FG).

Sorry, but a real MVP does not miss three chances at the end like he did. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

In no particular order:

-Mahomes (duh)
-Burrow
-Allen
-Herbert
-Stroud
-Stafford
-Rodgers

Obviously, Lamar has better results (so far) than some of these but I attribute that to time in league (i.e. some of these guys are younger) and organization (the ravens have one of the best organizations in football and the chargers have one of the worst, as an example).

I think there is another group that may end up being better than him too (I'm doubtful on a few of these like Dak, but bullish on a few others like Love and Lawrence):

-Love
-Goff
-Lawrence
-Dak
-Hurts
Stafford and Rodgers are too old now. In their prime, yes on Rodgers, Stafford, no. Herbert hasn't done anything in his four years to prove he is better. He is a one dimensional pocket passer and depends solely on his arm, which can and does get him in trouble. When judging QB's, you have to look at the total package and ability, Herbert simply has not shown he is a better QB than Jackson. Arm, yes, overall talent, no. Herbert averages double digit INT's per year and relies a ton on his RB's catching short passes and turning them into "free" yards passing. SD depends on their RB's on average of about 800-850 yards per year receiving, and Herbert does not possess the athletic ability to extend plays once it breaks down or the pocket has broken down, if a receiver is not open, he relies on his strong arm and forces passes. He is a very talented QB, he just relies on one thing too much. he has to have pocket protection, if not, he becomes a very average QB. yes he is more accurate than Jackson, but only in a perfect world where he has a clear pocket and passing lanes to throw in. Jackson can improvise and make something out of nothing. he can take a broken play, poor containment, and make something happen by eluding the rush, leaving the pocket, and beat you with his legs or fine a receiver down field after extending the play.

He has one of, if not THE, best defenses every year. He has one of the best front offices in football. He has one of the best OL and DL every single year. He has one of the best stables of RB every year. The only point of potential weakness on that team has been the WR corps, but they went out of their way to beef it up last year and he still lost on his home field as the top seed.

Yes, I think a two time MVP is overrated (and I don't think he deserved to be MVP). He has a 2-4 playoff record and almost all of those losses were to lower seeds. Overrated.
Duh. But a stout defense doesn't determine if Jackson is a great QB or not. If anything, he doesn't have to sling it 50 times per game because he knows he can rely on his defense to keep the team in the game. Doesn't make him any less of a QB. But you also are helping my case. What does MOST QB's need to be great ? Yeap, great WR's. Jackson has never had that and still is an elite QB despite not having elite weapons to throw to and guys who can make the spectacular plays. Great front office, stout defenses, etc, does NOTHING to help him at the QB position. He has put the team on his back on offense and made great plays throwing and running when He has needed to. he has 2 1,000 yard rushing years and several 800 yard ones. He doesn't throw a ton of INT's even though he has very mediocre WR's. That is elite. Answer me this, what would the other QB's mentioned look like if they had Jackson's WR's and game plans on offense ? On the other hand, put Jackson on those QB's team, and you will not see a drop off in his production, if anything a increase. the more times he drops back to pass, the more times he will create a big play, whether it be passing or running.

Another point, if he has had such great offensive lines (pass pro, not run blocking), why is he constantly under pressure and forced to improvise, extend plays by leaving the pocket ? There is a difference in great offensive line run blocking and pass blocking. Imagine if Jackson had a Cee Dee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, or Jamar Chase on his team ?

Last edited:
In no particular order:

-Mahomes (duh)
-Burrow
-Allen
-Herbert
-Stroud
-Stafford
-Rodgers

-Love
-Goff
-Lawrence
-Dak
-Hurts

I would like you to justify Josh Allen.
Stay consistent.

If Will Levis becomes a top level NFL quarterback, I wonder if Louisville fans will defend him with the game amount of gusto that some UK fan are using to sing the glory of Lamar Jackson. Somehow, I doubt they would. Not in a million years.

I do not use my fan bias when dissecting a QB in the NFL. If you are solely basing your opinion of Jackson because he played at UL, you can't be taken seriously. I can't stand UL, nor Jackson, but I also can't deny that he is a very talented QB. Because he played at a bitter rival, doesn't make his 2 NFL MVP seasons any less.
Just like I approach discussing basketball players who may have played at Duke, UNC, Kansas, where ever, I base my opinion on the players talent, not the school he attended. Simple really, I am not "singing the glory" of Jackson, just stating he is not overrated. You can dislike a player and still give a honest assessment of their abilities.

Reactions: Blue-ish
If Will Levis becomes a top level NFL quarterback, I wonder if Louisville fans will defend him with the game amount of gusto that some UK fan are using to sing the glory of Lamar Jackson. Somehow, I doubt they would. Not in a million years.

It's 100% irrelevant to discussion of a pro players career. I'm not one of those quote unquote singing the glory but just IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT