ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is Lamar Jackson overrated?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
I go back and forth. There are times/games where he is just unstoppable, makes every play, looks like he's playing at a different speed. But, especially in crunch time, in playoffs, sometimes in really big games in the regular season, he comes up way short. Last year, they had every opportunity to make the SB and he did not make the plays the Ravens needed him to make. Some very questionable decisions, some really bad throws, etc. Seems like it happens more often in playoff games than regular season games, but he's put up some real stinkers in the postseason. Now, he does rack up the stats in the regular season and has won 2 (?) MVP awards so he's not dog crap, by any stretch. He's a really good QB most of the time. He just seems to save his worst performances in the highest pressure games sometimes. Maybe I'm completely off base - it's definitely possible.

My sense is that he's viewed as one of the top 3 or 4 QBs in the NFL and I don't know if I'd put him there. I'd certainly hesitate if I had to choose one QB to start a conference championship game.

For every spectacular play he makes, he will make an equally horrific mistake in big games. He wins a lot and maybe his teams wouldn't be a playoff team without him but I don't know if you'll ever have a championship team with him. Our huge win against him in 2016 has really been a microcosm of his entire career

161126ukVul2903
I can't stand him, didn't like him at UofL and like him less now. So I'll go with yes.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Lamar is easily Top 4 in the NFL lmao yall crazy as hell. The only thing he hasn’t accomplished is win a Super Bowl. And nobody outside of Mahomes has really been doing that.

Great throw but a toe on the line. However, he burned 20 seconds after the big completion and cost himself at least one extra play, held the ball too long a few plays before the final one (also costing himself a play), and had a couple of weird throws in between. He’s got to make better decisions than that.

Incredible runner. Above average passer.

His biggest problem is the era hes but that cuts both ways. This is truly a golden era of nfl qb play where completion percentages and efficiency are insanely high, which isnt his game. At the same time in any other era, hed been forced to play wr because noone would or could run an offense to fit his skill set.

Idk if he's "overrated", but he's coached by Todd Monken, Tee Martin, and Willie Taggert. That should probably tell you all you need to know. Any backfield that has Lamar and Derrick Henry in it should be a damned good one.

Harbaugh made a HUGE mistake when he essentially fired Greg Roman to hire Monken. Roman is/was the perfect coach for Lamar.

If you told me you were giving my team Lamar, I would be just fine with that, knowing that Josh Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, and others would go to other teams.

In 6 yrs, he has had 1 spectacular year and 2 ok yrs. The other 3 have been less than stellar

I just have to start rating QBs and he's top 10 no matter how you slice it.

1. Mahomes is the best...hard to accept an argument any are better.

Then you have a mixture in next tier

2. Burrow
3. Josh Allen
4. Lamar

Then you have another tier

5. CJ Stroud (another tremendous season...he probably jumps to the next tier)
6. Stafford
7. Dak
8. Herbert
9. Goff
10. Hurts (I personally see a one year wonder and falling off map personally)

So no matter what you think of Lamar...>I can't make a case he's not top 5...which is pretty damn impressive.

Top 4 QBs don't really miss that wide open of a receiver with the game on the line...
Name the top 4 QB's and I will debate that statement. If anyone says he is overrated, are one of two things, doesn't know football, or simply a hater because he played for Louisville. He has to do so much during games and the year, he gets wore down as the game and season progresses.
26/41 273 yards and 16 rushes for 122 yards is NOT overrated. Also, 2 time NFL MVP's do not get lucky to win it once, much less twice. How anyone can call a 2 time MVP overrated is crazy.
The game was very simple, ravens D and silly penalty killing drives put the Ravens behind and forced them to abandon the run with Henry, thus Jackson had to do it all.
For the poster who said he would rather have Allen and Herbert, they haven't done jack shit ! Allen misses tons of throws, turns it over A LOT, and has had some very stout teams and hasn't won ANYTHING. Herbert ? LOL, what exactly makes him better than Jackson ?

Josh Allen (career 6 years / 93 starts) 22703 yards passing / 167 TD's / 78 INT's - Hasn't won anything

Justin Herbert (career 4 years / 62 starts) 17223 yards passing / 114 TD's / 42 INT's - Notta

Lamar Jackson (career 7 years / 77 starts) 16,160 yards passing / 126 TD's / 45 INT's / 5380 yards rushing / 29 TD's
2 Time MVP
2019 Season - 3127 yards passing / 36 TD's / 6 INT's / 1206 yards rushing / 7 TD's = Total yards 43333 / Total TD's = 43
2023 Season - 3678 yards passing / 24 TD's / 7 INT's / 821 yards rushing / 5 TD's

Won a Heisman Trophy
Only NFL QB to have 2 1,000 yard rushing seasons
Most wins by a QB under the age of 25
Only QB to throw for over 300 yards and rush for 100 yards in a playoff game

The list of accomplishment goes on and on, too many to list. Allen / Herbert- The list is very short. Also factor in the weapons around the QB's. Herbert has had great receivers and had Austin Eckeler at RB who caught a ton of passes out of the back field and gained yards for Herbert. Name me a great WR to play for the Ravens with Jackson ?

Reactions: dvillecatfan
Name the top 4 QB's and I will debate that statement. If anyone says he is overrated, are one of two things, doesn't know football, or simply a hater because he played for Louisville. He has to do so much during games and the year, he gets wore down as the game and season progresses.
26/41 273 yards and 16 rushes for 122 yards is NOT overrated. Also, 2 time NFL MVP's do not get lucky to win it once, much less twice. How anyone can call a 2 time MVP overrated is crazy.
The game was very simple, ravens D and silly penalty killing drives put the Ravens behind and forced them to abandon the run with Henry, thus Jackson had to do it all.
For the poster who said he would rather have Allen and Herbert, they haven't done jack shit ! Allen misses tons of throws, turns it over A LOT, and has had some very stout teams and hasn't won ANYTHING. Herbert ? LOL, what exactly makes him better than Jackson ?

Josh Allen (career 6 years / 93 starts) 22703 yards passing / 167 TD's / 78 INT's - Hasn't won anything

Justin Herbert (career 4 years / 62 starts) 17223 yards passing / 114 TD's / 42 INT's - Notta

Lamar Jackson (career 7 years / 77 starts) 16,160 yards passing / 126 TD's / 45 INT's / 5380 yards rushing / 29 TD's
2 Time MVP
2019 Season - 3127 yards passing / 36 TD's / 6 INT's / 1206 yards rushing / 7 TD's = Total yards 43333 / Total TD's = 43
2023 Season - 3678 yards passing / 24 TD's / 7 INT's / 821 yards rushing / 5 TD's

Won a Heisman Trophy
Only NFL QB to have 2 1,000 yard rushing seasons
Most wins by a QB under the age of 25
Only QB to throw for over 300 yards and rush for 100 yards in a playoff game

The list of accomplishment goes on and on, too many to list. Allen / Herbert- The list is very short. Also factor in the weapons around the QB's. Herbert has had great receivers and had Austin Eckeler at RB who caught a ton of passes out of the back field and gained yards for Herbert. Name me a great WR to play for the Ravens with Jackson ?
Better win something if he wants to shake that label.

Hugely overrated.

He is a talent, no doubt about it, but he doesn't make plays in crunch time despite being surround by tons of talent and within one of the best organizations in the NFL. He is not a championship QB and has a 2-4 playoff record.

The media wants him to be the face of the league (I'll leave it to you to decide why that is), but he continually fails in big moments. This will continue.

Hugely overrated.

He is a talent, no doubt about it, but he doesn't make plays in crunch time despite being surround by tons of talent and within one of the best organizations in the NFL. He is not a championship QB and has a 2-4 playoff record.

The media wants him to be the face of the league (I'll leave it to you to decide why that is), but he continually fails in big moments. This will continue.
I'm just curious who you would put in front of him as better QB's

Reactions: dvillecatfan
Hugely overrated.

"The media wants him to be the face of the league (I'll leave it to you to decide why that is)", tells me all I need to know about your opinion. But for the record, why do YOU think that is ?
Also, exactly what great weapons has he had around him ? Andrews the TE is the only pass catcher who has amounted to anything. Flowers will be great, but he is young and hasn't been there long. Tons of talent ? Where and who ? SO you think a two time league MVP is overrated ? Nah, you just do not like him is the real answer.

Top 4 QBs don't really miss that wide open of a receiver with the game on the line...
This. Lamar is exciting and a top half of the league QB. He’s in that second tier with Dak that wins a lot of games but when you get to the top tier where every throw matters and you’re in a shootout against a team with a top defense and offense…. He can’t consistently hit tight windows beyond 8 yards downfield to keep the chains moving without self inflicting killing drives occasionally…that’s the difference between advancing or getting beat in the playoffs.

Everyone loves the dual threat now. But I’ll take an extremely accurate QB that can read defenses and hit tight windows with a quick release every day of the week if I have weapons around him. If I’m a mid tier program, then give me the dual threat bc I need a do all type of star.

Even Pat Mahomes wins games with his arm and accuracy when it matters (and a flag here or there)

Reactions: Lempface
This. Lamar is exciting and a top half of the league QB. He’s in that second tier with Dak that wins a lot of games but when you get to the top tier where every throw matters and you’re in a shootout against a team with a top defense and offense…. He can’t consistently hit tight windows beyond 8 yards downfield to keep the chains moving without self inflicting killing drives occasionally…that’s the difference between advancing or getting beat in the playoffs.

Everyone loves the dual threat now. But I’ll take an extremely accurate QB that can read defenses and hit tight windows with a quick release every day of the week if I have weapons around him. If I’m a mid tier program, then give me the dual threat bc I need a do all type of star.

Even Pat Mahomes wins games with his arm and accuracy when it matters (and a flag here or there)
That ball he missed to Flowers right before the toe tap was about as easy of a look as you can get in the NFL. The closest thing to a gimme you'll ever see, he wasn't under intense pressure and he sailed it behind him a good 3 yards and threw it so high that even if it was on target it would have taken a great play to catch.

I agree it's not that he doesn't do some amazing things out there but I can't label you top tier when you're missing throws like that, 2x MVP or no.

Better win something if he wants to shake that label.
He has. 2 NFL MVP's (Most Valuable PLAYER), in case you didn't know what MVP stood for. Other than Mahomes, what have the other QB's listed as "better" than Jackson won ? NOTHING.

His 2019 season (1st MVP title), he posted stats of 3,127 passing yards /36 TD's / ONLY 6 INT's to go along with 1,206 rushing yards and another 5 TD's. He accounted for 4,333 yards and 43 TD's against only 6 INT's. Show me a QB who is supposedly better than him, have a year like that ? The Ravens finished 14-2 and lead the league in points scored, Lamar Jackson was responsible for most of those points. They lost to the Titans in the playoffs that year, but not because of Jackson, he was 31/59 for 345 yards and also ran for 185 yards. He accounted for 530 yards.

He has. 2 NFL MVP's (Most Valuable PLAYER), in case you didn't know what MVP stood for. Other than Mahomes, what have the other QB's listed as "better" than Jackson won ? NOTHING.

His 2019 season (1st MVP title), he posted stats of 3,127 passing yards /36 TD's / ONLY 6 INT's to go along with 1,206 rushing yards and another 5 TD's. He accounted for 4,333 yards and 43 TD's against only 6 INT's. Show me a QB who is supposedly better than him, have a year like that ? The Ravens finished 14-2 and lead the league in points scored, Lamar Jackson was responsible for most of those points. They lost to the Titans in the playoffs that year, but not because of Jackson, he was 31/59 for 345 yards and also ran for 185 yards. He accounted for 530 yards.
And he lost to the Titans in 2019 in their first playoff game. 530 yards and scored 12 points. Look man you're making the case for me. 😂😂

Edit: he has 2 playoff wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT