ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Florida friends, hurricane Milton

Dec 9, 2016
How did my Florida friends fare during the hurricane? I’m in Sarasota and my house is good no issues for damages but still without power. I know of some that lost almost everything and some were still recovering from the last hurricane 2 weeks ago. I know we have some posters up in the Tampa area and south a little South. I hope you made it out safely and unharmed. We have a shortage for gas and the traffic lights weren’t working, today they are getting most of those functioning but still crazy to drive to the store.

Some may know I am moving to Northern Kentucky, my flight was supposed to leave Wednesday the day the hurricane hit. They canceled my flight on Monday so I’m now stuck here at least another week. Hoping to catch a flight on Friday but I can’t leave my parents until they get their power back on.

Just wanted to post and see how my Florida friends made out after the storm. Our Sarasota community is great neighbors helping neighbors. Stay safe, god bless and GO BIG BLUE!

How did my Florida friends fare during the hurricane? I’m in Sarasota and my house is good no issues for damages but still without power. I know of some that lost almost everything and some were still recovering from the last hurricane 2 weeks ago. I know we have some posters up in the Tampa area and south a little South. I hope you made it out safely and unharmed. We have a shortage for gas and the traffic lights weren’t working, today they are getting most of those functioning but still crazy to drive to the store.

Some may know I am moving to Northern Kentucky, my flight was supposed to leave Wednesday the day the hurricane hit. They canceled my flight on Monday so I’m now stuck here at least another week. Hoping to catch a flight on Friday but I can’t leave my parents until they get their power back on.

Just wanted to post and see how my Florida friends made out after the storm. Our Sarasota community is great neighbors helping neighbors. Stay safe, god bless and GO BIG BLUE!
Glad to hear it, I hope all our Wildcats down in FL are okay and safe. It’s been a rough year for you guys and gals.

May not want to hear it but in the Fort Lauderdale area it pretty much missed us although there were various tornado's although most not in populated areas of Broward but hit in Wellington.

May not want to hear it but in the Fort Lauderdale area it pretty much missed us although there were various tornado's although most not in populated areas of Broward but hit in Wellington.
I’m so glad it missed you! I’m hearing there’s something brewing in the Atlantic. It’s about a week out before it develops, if it develops. Praying it just moves out to sea.

I thought about moving to Florida but man I can't handle dealing with hurricanes every year. I'd probably have to downsize and live in an RV to not have to worry about my home possibly getting damaged every year.

I have an aunt that lives in Port Charlotte and she was still trying to get her house fixed from a hurricane last year for a while. Had issues with the insurance company giving the claim money to the mortgage company and trying to get them to give her the money to fix her house. Guess it's a fraud thing where people aren't fixing the house and keeping the money.

Not sure how her house is this time but she is up here staying with family right now. I don't know if it is a short visit or for a substantial amount of time. I'd have to reconsider living down there if I went through this multiple years in a row.

Is there a semi safe area that rarely gets severe damage? I'd guess no with the ocean surrounding most of the state. Might be safer to move to the southwest but the border situation sucks down there. I might be stuck in Kentucky until I die. Might have to at least move up into the hills somewhere. Other than convenience to places, I'm getting tired of living in the Louisville area. That and my mom still lives here.

Sorry to semi hijack the thread. Hope everyone is doing well down there and don't have a lot of damage to deal with.

I thought about moving to Florida but man I can't handle dealing with hurricanes every year. I'd probably have to downsize and live in an RV to not have to worry about my home possibly getting damaged every year.

I have an aunt that lives in Port Charlotte and she was still trying to get her house fixed from a hurricane last year for a while. Had issues with the insurance company giving the claim money to the mortgage company and trying to get them to give her the money to fix her house. Guess it's a fraud thing where people aren't fixing the house and keeping the money.

Not sure how her house is this time but she is up here staying with family right now. I don't know if it is a short visit or for a substantial amount of time. I'd have to reconsider living down there if I went through this multiple years in a row.

Is there a semi safe area that rarely gets severe damage? I'd guess no with the ocean surrounding most of the state. Might be safer to move to the southwest but the border situation sucks down there. I might be stuck in Kentucky until I die. Might have to at least move up into the hills somewhere. Other than convenience to places, I'm getting tired of living in the Louisville area. That and my mom still lives here.

Sorry to semi hijack the thread. Hope everyone is doing well down there and don't have a lot of damage to deal with.
I’m glad your Aunt is safe and hope her house made it thru with no more damage.

Reactions: BlueSince92

I’m in Bradenton area, lots of trees down, roof damage and fences down. A couple of solar panels flew off, but could have been much worse. Still lots of people without power. We were lucky power out at my house less then 24 hours

I’m in Bradenton area, lots of trees down, roof damage and fences down. A couple of solar panels flew off, but could have been much worse. Still lots of people without power. We were lucky power out at my house less then 24 hours
I’m off university and just got my power on today. Still no internet but like you said, it could have been a lot worse. Glad you made it thru it ok.

Glad everyone who’s checked in is okay with no major property damage it sounds like.

@Wildcat_In_Florida I’m looking at either New College or UK to prep for a career change. In Cynthiana now (NorthernISH Kentucky). If things break that way we will almost switch places.

Glad everyone who’s checked in is okay with no major property damage it sounds like.

@Wildcat_In_Florida I’m looking at either New College or UK to prep for a career change. In Cynthiana now (NorthernISH Kentucky). If things break that way we will almost switch places.
Oh wow good for you!

oh good for you New College is a good school for the arts.

Rented a home in Sarasota. Liked it. That little area where Munchies 420 bar is located is unique.

Glad it’s ok. Is Siesta Key ok as well?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT