ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ex UF big and SECN's Patric Young was left paralyzed from the waist down after car accident

The importance of wearing a seatbelt. They suck. Annoying. They do save lives though.

Young, who now works as an analyst on SEC Network, was hospitalized in South Dakota, according to Yankton.net, the website for The Yankton Daily Press and Dakotan.

According to the paper, the Knox County Sheriff’s Office received a report of the accident at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. According to the report, Young, 30, was driving, when he approached an intersection and applied his breaks. “Young didn’t believe he would be able to stop in time and turned to his left, causing the pickup to lose traction and slide sideways across 881 Road. After crossing the roadway, the pickup rolled over once and settled on its wheels. Young and another individual subsequently contacted Knox County authorities,” the paper wrote.

Young did not have a seat belt on. The passenger was not injured.

It's pretty terrible, but he's honestly the type of dude that can handle something like that. He'll conquer that challenge and inspire others.

EDIT; I can't believe there are people out there that don't wear a seat belt. Do you consciously decide not to, or you just never do and don't realize it isn't on? I sure don't get it.

He seemed like a hard worker on the hardwood. Kinda worked and really got tuff. Hope he has a great recovery. This is a tuff situation!!

Prayers for him and his family, with his attitude and his faith he will continue to thrive in the world regardless if he never walks again but I pray he is able to walk again.

Reactions: JRCAT14
What a brutal way to learn about the importance of seatbelts. Really like him on SECN, hope he’s able to be a continuing contributor.

Really sad to hear about this. He was a tough post player for Billy Donovan's teams at the end in Florida and always enjoyed his game. The kind of college player you like to have who brought toughness and stability sticking around 4 years.

Damn ... that happened back in June and this is the first I had heard about it. Terrible. He does a nice job on the SECN.
Yeah he does, the SEC network has found some really good former players as analysts. I didn’t know this happened either. He seems like a good dude.

It's pretty terrible, but he's honestly the type of dude that can handle something like that. He'll conquer that challenge and inspire others.

EDIT; I can't believe there are people out there that don't wear a seat belt. Do you consciously decide not to, or you just never do and don't realize it isn't on? I sure don't get it.
Most cars annoy this Pi$$ out of you if it’s not on either. Ding ding ding ding ding …. Very sad that it could have saved him from this.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Wow. I had no idea. Why is this the first we're hearing of it when it happened in June? I'll say a prayer for him seems like a genuinely good guy on the SECN broadcast

Reactions: STL_Cat

I have never been one to buckle up unless driving on the interstate. Never understood why wearing one is the law while motorcyclist aren’t required to wear helmets.

tough news on Young. Great analyst and a great overall man it appears. Definitely hope to see him make the most of his unfortunate circumstance and I believe he will.

Young did not have a seat belt on. The passenger was not injured.

This is why you ALWAYS wear a seat belt.

I had two good friends who had a wreck after HS. The driver was killed without a seatbelt, the passenger had no injuries and was wearing his.

My brother-in-law is a paramedic. Talk to one of them about the importance of seat belts some time.

All this aside, prayers for a full recovery for PY. Enjoyed him on SECN

Amazing testimony, attitude and perspective. Supernatural really. All prayers for the best. Long road ahead - but wonderful mental/spiritual starting point for him.

THAT is character... so rarely seen these days. Well spoken, humble. Impressive.

I have never been one to buckle up unless driving on the interstate. Never understood why wearing one is the law while motorcyclist aren’t required to wear helmets.

tough news on Young. Great analyst and a great overall man it appears. Definitely hope to see him make the most of his unfortunate circumstance and I believe he will.

That'll suck one day if you get t-boned at an intersection with some dude going 50 through a red. Please wear it, c'mon man.

As for motorcyclists, they die all the time due to lack of safety, let them be stupid - not you when you clearly have the means to protect yourself.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It looks like he has feeling in his toes, and he got to go home after 52 days (42 days at Craig). He was visiting his then fiancee (now wife) in rural Nebraska, but still had a wedding reception in the hospital. He was already tweeting on July 3, just four days after the accident. I think he still walks eventually, because that's just who he is. I always liked him as a player, even though he destroyed us on the court.

It looks like he has feeling in his toes, and he got to go home after 52 days (42 days at Craig). He was visiting his then fiancee (now wife) in rural Nebraska, but still had a wedding reception in the hospital. He was already tweeting on July 3, just four days after the accident. I think he still walks eventually, because that's just who he is. I always liked him as a player, even though he destroyed us on the court.

He was a fierce competitor for sure. I remember seeing him in high school after he committed to florida and just thinking “that guys gonna be a pain in our ass the next few years”

Terrific motor. Wanted to dunk everything. Played angry. Love big guys like that.

Best wishes to him.

I hope he is able to recover and walk again one day.

I agree with everyone else that this is another sad tale of what happens when you do not wear a seatbelt. To be honest he is lucky he was not thrown from the truck and killed with it rolling over and such. Speedy recovery to him.

I hope he is able to recover and walk again one day.

I agree with everyone else that this is another sad tale of what happens when you do not wear a seatbelt. To be honest he is lucky he was not thrown from the truck and killed with it rolling over and such. Speedy recovery to him.
Thankfully, he wasn’t speeding (35 mph), but I can see where he got surprised because he was on a curve and going downhill and suddenly hit a main road. Very lucky to be alive and he knows it.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT