ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Duke Basketball: The One and Done Rule Must Change

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
Interesting... movements by NBA and Duke ... could be Coach K is getting ready to retire...and...well, conspiracy theories abound...just sayin’ :joy:...they’re scared Coach Cal will dominate as the lone wolf...

Duke Basketball: The One and Done Rule Must Change

by Benjamin Criswell3 days agoFollow @therealbcriz

Duke Basketball has been one of the best schools at recruiting One and Done players, but that has to stop because the rule needs to be modified.

The Division I Council met Wednesday to recommend legislative and policy changes to the Division I Board. Many of the recommendations will come from Condoleezza’s Rice Report – a seven month investigation into the issues believed to be corrupting college basketball. One of the central issues in the Rice Report is One-And-Done.

The report characterizes One-And-Done as having, “a significant role in corrupting and destabilizing college basketball, restricting the freedom of choice of players, and undermining the relationship of college basketball to the mission of higher education.”

The Rice Report was released following an FBI Investigation into the “underbelly” of college basketball in which bank records and balance sheets of the sports agency ASM implicating several high profile college basketball players and coaches in NCAA rules violations.

These NCAA rules violations of players receiving gifts in the form of loans, lunches, and cash payments are a direct result of the One-And-Done rule according to the Rice Report. Interestingly, several upperclassmen have been linked to the sports agency ASM in the FBI investigation – players who are not required to be in college.

Curiously and most likely intentionally left out of the Rice Report was the recommendation to compensate student-athletes, making the Rice Report more like your company’s HR Department than a CIA interrogation. The NCAA knows what the real issue is, but instead of overhauling their entire league and compensating their student-athletes therein solving the issues that plague college basketball.

One-And-Done will eventually come to an end and with it, the most exciting era of college basketball. These One-And-Dones are not like you or I. They are snow leopards, only glimpsed through brief Instagram videos of ferocious dunks and blinding agility. They ride into campus on hype-trains driven by the prospect of future NBA success. They disembark on their college sojourn whispering to the conductor to keep the engine running.

These freshmen flash across the sky and just as quickly as they came they leave us with only a romantic memory of their very existence. It seems odd that these freshmen could cause so much damage to college basketball – enough damage to warrant a seven-month investigation led by a former U.S. Secretary of State.

Nonetheless the One-And-Done has changed the landscape of college basketball and specifically the landscape of Duke. The One-And-Done era officially began in 2006 with the NBA requiring draft eligible players to be at least one year removed from high school. Luckily, many of the most talented high school seniors opt to spend their obligatory year of college at Duke, and bring with them corruption and deceit, at least according to the Commission on College Basketball.

Yes, the beginning of the end officially began in 2006 when the NBA required draft eligible players to be at least one year removed from high school. The One-And-Done however, did not make his way to Duke until 2011. Coming off a decade in which Duke captured eight ACC Championships and two National Championships from 2000-2010, things couldn’t get any better for Duke, and they didn’t.

In the coming years, Duke’s transformation into a One-And-Done powerhouse was indeed painful in spots. Overshadowed by the giddiness of landing these mythical beings, is the reduced success of the program. Twice the Blue Devils fell in the Round of 64 – a feat so unthinkable even Corey Maggette would feel shame towards his alma mater.

It was bad enough that these freshmen had corrupted these schools by making them millions of dollars, but now Duke can’t get out of the first round?

This madness had to be stopped, and stopped it was. Instead of recruiting just one One-And-Done player, i.e. Austin Rivers, Jabari Parker, Brandon Ingram, Mike Krzyzewski’s greatest coaching accomplishment has been landing three – four of these players.

Duke players used to be judged by their college careers. In the One-And-Done era they are judged now by their professional ones. The 2015 Duke team, composed of Tyus Jones, Justise Winslow, and Jahlil Okafor is remembered by a lesser standard.

This Duke was the best team in the country in 2015, but because the three One-And-Dones have turned out less than stellar NBA careers thus far. Vice versa, Quinn Cook stayed four years at Duke and was also a member of the 2015 National Championship and is remembered fondly by Duke fans.

Gone are the Redick’s, the Scheyer’s, the Duhon’s, and the Battier’s; replaced by the Ingram’s, the Tatum’s, and the Bagley’s.

Yes, Duke in the eyes of the NCAA, is part of the problem. Never mind Duke’s contribution to the BILLION-dollar industry of college basketball, when an agent picks up the check on a $20 lunch.

These One-And-Dones are no good. We don’t want them anymore. So instead of incentivizing them to stay and get something of a valuable college experience, the NCAA is encouraging them to never come in the first place.

AlohaCat

Reactions: CatPhight
duke and the phony know that Cal will own everything once the phony is gone. Nothing to do with the game or the kids. all about the phony and his "legacy".

that article and it's author are FOS
players have been getting money for as long as CBB has been around
i guess they all forgot about UCLA/Wooden/Gilbert
there was no OAD then, yet the players were paid very well by boosters
now the money just comes from different sources

i think the guy is just mad that Duke has only 1 title using the OAD
i guess he thinks you can just pluck them off a tree

Last edited:
"even Corey Maggette would feel shame towards his alma mater."

I HIGHLY doubt that since he has Duke in hot water right now. Duke is playing the "victim" here.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=100919&page=1

NBA's Maggette Accepted Money from Coach

Jul 12, 2018

Maggette signed a sworn statement reversing earlier denials and admitting he took $2,000 from Myron Piggie, his summer league coach for a Kansas City-based AAU team, Duke said Tuesday.

Piggie pleaded guilty in May to a conspiracy charge after being accused of defrauding Duke and three other colleges. He faces 3-5 years in prison for paying Maggette and four other high school players on his team $35,500 from 1996-98.

Duke officials have said they were not aware of the payments, but the admission jeopardizes the Blue Devils’ program. In addition to possibly forfeiting the runner-up finish for using an ineligible player in the 1999 NCAA tournament, Duke also might have to return up to $226,815 in tournament revenue.

The federal indictment against Piggie claimed he paid the players in exchange for agreements that they would pay him once they received pro contracts and signed endorsement deals. It also said he used the players to secure money from a booster and Nike.

Maggette left Duke after his freshman year and was selected by the Seattle SuperSonics in the first round of the 1999 draft.

[smoke]
Unsurprisingly I'm fine with all of this.

College basketball won’t be any better by trying to eliminate one year players, they haven’t hurt the game. It will go on without them but just be less talented, there’s a lot of great players that you would have never watched play at a school.

The year John Wall came there wasn’t a multi year pg that I wanted to watch more, John was the draw. Same goes for many that we’ve recently had and other schools as well, removing those players from college changes very little.

Duke may have won the championship in 2015, but no one will ever convince me they were a better team than UK that year.

38-0 going into the final 4..enough said

Well yea... it was clear UK was the best team that year. That’s why it blows ass they friggin lost to Wisconsin.

That game should’ve been the title game.

Stupid article. There’s going to be just as many one and dones even if they do away with the age requirement. This is one of the dumber arguments I’ve read.

There will be a handful of high school players that will go straight into the draft, but there’s still going to be a ton of players that play one year of college, and then enter the draft after a single season just like now. It’s not going to make any tangible difference.

Duke should also do away with the ‘gay brotherhood’ pitch while they’re at it.

Recruits should be able to smell that cheap ass recruiting pitch from miles away. Smells as bad as a chain smoking car salesman from JD Byrider.

Duke may have won the championship in 2015, but no one will ever convince me they were a better team than UK that year.

I wouldn't even trade places with them. We have 8 titles we didn't need another to tell me that UK team was great. Great year.

I enjoyed watching our team very much that year.

Well yea... it was clear UK was the best team that year. That’s why it blows ass they friggin lost to Wisconsin.

It still is awful that not only did we not win the title but Duke did. We can debate all we want about if Kentucky and Duke has played who would have won. The fact is we didn't get there and they did (which makes it all the worse).

I don't disagree with the concept of the article. One and done has issues which have impacted college basketball. Freshman in the Final Four or as the tourney progresses often has shown problems despite their performance during the season. We lost to a pretty pour Kansas State (where their best player was sidelined for most of the game) because they concentrated fully on shutting down SGA and another Freshman couldn't hit pressure free throws, and other Freshman were taking ill advised shots. Even the dirty little secret that many forget, superstar Freshman Anthony Davis was really bad on offense in his Final Four Kansas game and fortunately some veterans hit some important shots to maintain the second half lead. We lost to a West Virginia squad with their starting point guard out with Freshmen John Wall, Cousins, etc. So, you simply can't discount experience.

The problem is what can be done. College Football seems to have some rules in place or cooperation with the NFL. Cal has made some suggestions, so there has to be a decision at some point if change is necessary. Maybe it isn't. It still is a great exciting college game and we will be fine no matter what direction is taken on this issue.

The greatest period for college basketball is not the oad, unless , of course, you're a millennial like the writer. Believe it or not, before the oad, great players stayed for 2, 3 and even 4 years. The 80's and 90's had some great teams.

I get tired of reading mindless drivel like this article.

College basketball won’t be any better by trying to eliminate one year players, they haven’t hurt the game. It will go on without them but just be less talented, there’s a lot of great players that you would have never watched play at a school.

The year John Wall came there wasn’t a multi year pg that I wanted to watch more, John was the draw. Same goes for many that we’ve recently had and other schools as well, removing those players from college changes very little.

Very true. If anything, removing the Walls from the world makes a desperate, unwatched sport more desperate and unwatched.

College basketball is horrid right now. If Silver gets his way, we'll see UK teams start to look like the '94 squad every year. That is to say, good teams without any real immediate NBA impact players.

Reactions: Xception

Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe, as fair & impartial man as you will ever find. Said after Duke won the 2015 championship. That Kentucky's 2015 team would have beat Duke's 2015 team 9 out of 10 times.

rat_dance_zpsxlp07irp.gif

Reactions: blubo
that article and it's author are FOS
players have been getting money for as long as CBB has been around
i guess they all forgot about UCLA/Wooden/Gilbert
there was no OAD then, yet the players were paid very well by boosters
now the money just comes from different sources

i think the guy is just mad that Duke has only 1 title using the OAD
i guess he thinks you can just pluck them off a tree
Gilbert was paying better than the NBA

Wrong. Cal and the team choked their guts out in the last 5 minutes. If excuses make you feel better, that’s great. Duke got the title and that’s all anyone will remember. Honestly, we should have lost the game before to Notre Dame. We were lucky to even be playing in the Final Four.

Sure, mistakes were made down the stretch by the team. BUT mistakes were definitely made down the stretch by the refs.

Two of those, ESPECIALLY the no call on the shot clock violation, gave us the opportunity to make those mistakes and lose.

We COULD have lost to Notre Dame, but I don't think we SHOULD have. KAT was unstoppable down the stretch in that game.

Sure, mistakes were made down the stretch by the team. BUT mistakes were definitely made down the stretch by the refs.

Two of those, ESPECIALLY the no call on the shot clock violation, gave us the opportunity to make those mistakes and lose.

We COULD have lost to Notre Dame, but I don't think we SHOULD have. KAT was unstoppable down the stretch in that game.
I understand all of this. Look, as long as Cal is our Coach and Kentucky is on our uniforms, we’re going to get the raw end of the whistle, especially in the tournament. So, let’s just be so much better than who we’re playing so the refs can’t decide the game.

Reactions: crpoore

You can still create your own destiny in situations like that. UK should have rolled and did not. They made it close and lost.

I understand all of this. Look, as long as Cal is our Coach and Kentucky is on our uniforms, we’re going to get the raw end of the whistle, especially in the tournament. So, let’s just be so much better than who we’re playing so the refs can’t decide the game.

That's great and all. But it doesn't mean I can't call poor officiating out.

You can still create your own destiny in situations like that. UK should have rolled and did not. They made it close and lost.

Right. I get it. But you shouldn't have to.

The Kings couldn't created their own destiny against the Lakers. We should have created our own destiny against the Soviet Union in the Olympics. We can go on.

Officiating does affect the outcome of the game at times.

Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe, as fair & impartial man as you will ever find. Said after Duke won the 2015 championship. That Kentucky's 2015 team would have beat Duke's 2015 team 9 out of 10 times.

And? It doesn't change that Duke actually won the championship.

Right. I get it. But you shouldn't have to.

The Kings couldn't created their own destiny against the Lakers. We should have created our own destiny against the Soviet Union in the Olympics. We can go on.

Officiating does affect the outcome of the game at times.

If it's close...

In the coming years, Duke’s transformation into a One-And-Done powerhouse was indeed painful in spots. Overshadowed by the giddiness of landing these mythical beings, is the reduced success of the program. Twice the Blue Devils fell in the Round of 64 – a feat so unthinkable even Corey Maggette would feel shame towards his alma mater.

It was bad enough that these freshmen had corrupted these schools by making them millions of dollars, but now Duke can’t get out of the first round?

lol

Except it won't hurt anything as long as the usual players play. The college game missed nothing by Bryant and LeBron skipping college. College basketball was going great in their absence. Every one thinks they were the glory days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT