ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Dogs and Epilepsy

Cowtown Cat

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2015
Cowtown, Kentucky
I've posted on here a few times here and there regarding our husky dog and how he's epileptic and has seizures. I'm just seeking advice that hopefully helps us in preventing him from having seizures. We love him dearly and my wife becomes a complete wreck every time he has one, and rightfully so.

He had his first seizure in December of 2016, the same month he turned one year old. Then, a couple weeks later, he started having cluster seizures on the eve of New Years Eve. We rushed him to the vet the next morning, where they put him on phenobarbital. The phenobarbital worked great and he didn't have another one for two or three months after that. He would only have one every couple months or so in 2017 and part of 2018.

From the second half of 2018 up until now he's been having them more frequently. He was having one or two a month, so we added another medicine called Keppra in October last year. So now we have him on the Phenobarbital and Keppra, along with Valium, which is strictly to avoid cluster seizures.

He's had four in one months time now. We're thinking about adding even one more medicine to help manage them, potassium bromide. Hopefully that'll work, I don't know. Again, any advice one could give would be beneficial and greatly appreciated. TIA.

Edit: I believe it was @Ocornett that offered advice to me a long time ago but can't remember what it was now.

Reactions: Ocornett
tumblr_nnmk3pGSKS1tfw4aco1_500.gif

I've posted on here a few times here and there regarding our husky dog and how he's epileptic and has seizures. I'm just seeking advice that hopefully helps us in preventing him from having seizures. We love him dearly and my wife becomes a complete wreck every time he has one, and rightfully so.

He had his first seizure in December of 2016, the same month he turned one year old. Then, a couple weeks later, he started having cluster seizures on the eve of New Years Eve. We rushed him to the vet the next morning, where they put him on phenobarbital. The phenobarbital worked great and he didn't have another one for two or three months after that. He would only have one every couple months or so in 2017 and part of 2018.

From the second half of 2018 up until now he's been having them more frequently. He was having one or two a month, so we added another medicine called Keppra in October last year. So now we have him on the Phenobarbital and Keppra, along with Valium, which is strictly to avoid cluster seizures.

He's had four in one months time now. We're thinking about adding even one more medicine to help manage them, potassium bromide. Hopefully that'll work, I don't know. Again, any advice one could give would be beneficial and greatly appreciated. TIA.

Edit: I believe it was @Ocornett that offered advice to me a long time ago but can't remember what it was now.
Good luck man! My dog is like my son and is a diabetic and has been through the mill with medical issues. But there isn't anything I wouldn't do for him. I have found some of the best help for my dog's situation with FB support groups. They have them for about everything to do with our furry friends. Again, good luck.

I hope it works out. I have no experience in that department...

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

CBD oil, imo. Check out PureKana. The best stuff you can buy right now.

Is he neutered? We had a dog that had to be spade because of seizures, it fixed the issue.

Ugh at the misspelling. And ugh at equating "neutered" (done to males) with "spayed" (done to females). Just a lot of wrong squeezed into a couple sentences there.

But I'm curious how having a dog spayed would cure seizures. That seems illogical to me, as those issues originate in entirely different areas of the body, one the brain, the other ...well, elsewhere.

Last edited:
My dog started having mild seizures. She is 3. They put her on 500mg keppra generic and hasn't had one since. Knock wood!

Ugh at the misspelling... And ugh at equating "neutered" (done to males) with having a dog "spayed" (done to females). Just a whole lot of wrong squeezed into a couple sentences there.

But I'm curious how having a dog spayed would cure seizures. That seems illogical to me, as those issues originate in entirely different areas of the body, one the brain, the other ...well, elsewhere.
Not only am I not a spelling bee champion like yourself, but I’m not a veterinarian either. That’s a question for them. She was getting older and they said that’s could be why she was having seizures, after she was spayed, it fixed the issue.

I have a 14 year old boxer (Roscoe) who began having seizures 3 weeks ago. The first was violent so we took him to the emergency vet who told us he had a brain tumor and had a week “with us.” She wrote a prescription for leveriracetum (750 MG) to keep him from having seizures and make him comfortable. It doesn't fix the larger issue BUT 4 weeks later it has prevented more seizures. We cut them in half ($115 for 30) and give him 1/2 at breakfast and 1/2 at dinner. Also, my wife started making his food (ground turkey, mixed vegs, eggs, white rice, squash) instead of buying it and he has slept well and has only had a couple seizures since. Good luck man, I feel what you’re going through.

Ugh at the misspelling. And ugh at equating "neutered" (done to males) with "spayed" (done to females). Just a lot of wrong squeezed into a couple sentences there.

I’ve heard this as well. Never underestimate the complexity of hormonal interaction in various parts of the body. I’ve heard hysterectomies in women causing changes in migraine patterns. So could be some merit to W2Bs suggestion. Good thing to ask the vet. I presume similar for male dogs.

As far as spelling, have a field day. Be damned if I have time to waste over minor crap like that. I do enjoy an errant autocorrect from time to time. Those can be hilarious.

I have a 14 year old boxer (Roscoe) who began having seizures 3 weeks ago. The first was violent so we took him to the emergency vet who told us he had a brain tumor and had a week “with us.” She wrote a prescription for leveriracetum (750 MG) to keep him from having seizures and make him comfortable. It doesn't fix the larger issue BUT 4 weeks later it has prevented more seizures. We cut them in half ($115 for 30) and give him 1/2 at breakfast and 1/2 at dinner. Also, my wife started making his food (ground turkey, mixed vegs, eggs, white rice, squash) instead of buying it and he has slept well and has only had a couple seizures since. Good luck man, I feel what you’re going through.
We get the 500 mg generic. Had been paying around $35. GoodRx app we got them for $16 at CVS this month, 60 count. Maybe that'll help.

Not only am I not a spelling bee champion like yourself, but I’m not a veterinarian either. That’s a question for them. She was getting older and they said that’s could be why she was having seizures, after she was spayed, it fixed the issue.
Thanks for your input, brother. I have heard and read the very same thing. You're not wrong.

I’ve heard this as well. Never underestimate the complexity of hormonal interaction in various parts of the body. I’ve heard hysterectomies in women causing changes in migraine patterns. So could be some merit to W2Bs suggestion. Good thing to ask the vet. I presume similar for male dogs.

As far as spelling, have a field day. Be damned if I have time to waste over minor crap like that. I do enjoy an errant autocorrect from time to time. Those can be hilarious.

Fair enough. Fwiw, I admit harping on the spelling thing was asshole-ish of me. But that sort of thing can just grate on me at times, so occasionally I choose to be an asshole and point it out.

As for the other thing, I am genuinely curious. It seems utterly illogical to me, given what I know of the body, but I don't discount that it might be true.

Last edited:
Reactions: morgousky
Fair enough. FWIW, harping on the spelling thing was asshole-ish of me. But that sort of thing can just grate on me at times, so occasionally I choose to be an asshole and point it out.

As for the other thing, I am genuinely curious. It seems utterly illogical to me, given what I know of the body, but I don't discount that it might be true.
Well in male dogs I'm guessing testosterone would be the big player here.

Hey, @flacat22, how did the vet determine it was a tumor? Our vet couldn't determine that one way or the other. Was it some kinda x-ray?

No, she gave us three options, let him ride it out, take him to a canine neurologist or put him down. We chose the first. So far, so good (knock on wood). Not to besmirch the vet but I think that when we went in and said our old dog was having seizures the blanket diagnosis was “brain tumor.” There was no diagnostic test, we took her on her word. He’s still here eating McDonald’s cheeseburgers, chasing squirrels in his sleep and waking me up to potty at 5 everyday. We rent em, right?

So sorry to hear about the issues with your fur baby. Hopefully you’re connected to a top quality vet, and sounds like you are. I guess it comes down to quality of life. If the dog still has a good quality of life overall, then keep up with the meds and treatments. But at some point you and your family will have a tough decision to make. We had to make that two summers ago. Absolutely ripped our hearts out. But a broken leg on a 15 year old dog with mobility issues already. We had to let her go. :cry:

We have a boxer that’s around 8 yrs old and it’s just like a daughter to us. It burdens me to death thinking someday we will lose her. I will be praying for your husky, I know it may seem dumb to some but I believe Jesus is the healer of all.

No, she gave us three options, let him ride it out, take him to a canine neurologist or put him down. We chose the first. So far, so good (knock on wood). Not to besmirch the vet but I think that when we went in and said our old dog was having seizures the blanket diagnosis was “brain tumor.” There was no diagnostic test, we took her on her word. He’s still here eating McDonald’s cheeseburgers, chasing squirrels in his sleep and waking me up to potty at 5 everyday. We rent em, right?
What kinda dog is it? You might've already said, but I probably missed it. We used to feed our dog McDonalds burgers but stopped doing so. We didn't know at the time, but huskies are to have as little of a grain diet as possible. Grain free is what is ideal for them.

Reactions: flacat22
We get the 500 mg generic. Had been paying around $35. GoodRx app we got them for $16 at CVS this month, 60 count. Maybe that'll help.
Yeah, I paid $38 for 120 at kroger. The guy said GoodRX saved me $500. Yikes! It went on backorder and had to find a drugstore that had it and it cost $60 for 60 pllls.

What kinda dog is it? You might've already said, but I probably missed it. We used to feed our dog McDonalds burgers but stopped doing so. We didn't know at the time, but huskies are to have as little of a grain diet as possible. Grain free is what is ideal for them.

He’s a boxer.

So sorry to hear about the issues with your fur baby. Hopefully you’re connected to a top quality vet, and sounds like you are. I guess it comes down to quality of life. If the dog still has a good quality of life overall, then keep up with the meds and treatments. But at some point you and your family will have a tough decision to make. We had to make that two summers ago. Absolutely ripped our hearts out. But a broken leg on a 15 year old dog with mobility issues already. We had to let her go. :cry:
You are exactly right, it's all about their quality of life. I hate to hear you had to put her down. That's awful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT