ADVERTISEMENT

An 34 year old football game, a 51 year old football game, and a Christmas fathers/sons story

HymanKaplan

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2001

Ran across this old NFL game by accident and it brought up a lot of memories.

I joke with my son, who is 34 now, that I became a Packer fan in 1972 (the playoff loss to the Redskins on Christmas Eve), and from that point on, until my son was born in November of 1989, the Packers went something like 86 -150 (ballpark but very close). Anyway, I sat with my 6 day old son in my lap, and watched this game on TV, in Napa, CA and they won. One of only two losses that year for the Niners, and it was AT Candlestick. From that point on, until now, the Packers are roughly 249 -207, won 2 superbowls and played in 3. So logically, my son is personally responsible for pulling the Packers out of that malaise they were in during the entire 70's and 80's LOL Watching this makes me tear up, because of the memory of my infant son sitting on my lap, and watching (well, he was there with me anyway LOL) it with his Dad.

Side note. (back to 1972, after I had watched the Packers lose) My father went out on Christmas Eve , and bought me a Green Bay Packers helmet from Montgomery Wards, and it was the first present I opened up, the next day on Christmas. My son now has that helmet, and it sits by his television every Packer gameday.

Yeah, it's sappy, but it's all true.

Last edited:

Ran across this old NFL game by accident and it brought up a lot of memories.

I joke with my son, who is 34 now, that I became a Packer fan in 1972 (the playoff loss to the Redskins on Christmas Eve), and from that point on, until my son was born in November of 1989, the Packers went something like 86 -150 (ballpark but very close). Anyway, I sat with my 6 day old son in my lap, and watched this game on TV, in Napa, CA and they won. One of only two losses that year for the Niners, and it was AT Candlestick. From that point on, until now, the Packers are roughly 249 -207, won 2 superbowls and played in 3. So logically, my son is personally responsible for pulling the Packers out of that malaise they were in during the entire 70's and 80's LOL Watching this makes me tear up, because of the memory of my infant son sitting on my lap, and watching (well, he was there with me anyway LOL) it with his Dad.

Side note. (back to 1972, after I had watched the Packers lose) My father went out on Christmas Eve , and bought me a Green Bay Packers helmet from Montgomery Wards, and it was the first present I opened up, the next day on Christmas. My son now has that helmet, and it sits by his television every Packer gameday.

Yeah, it's sappy, but it's all true.

Is this why you love Aaron Rodgers?

• Haha
Reactions: HymanKaplan
I feel this way about the St. Louis Cardinals with my dad, and now my kids. I'm not sure how we always had tickets to the Padres series, but we did. I still hate Benito Santiago. (UK is a given on both counts as well).

• Love
Reactions: HymanKaplan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT