ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bengals backup QB wins on the road against a top team

JBHolmesfan

All-SEC
Jul 23, 2009
I thought backup QBs weren’t allowed to win games and the teams behind them that lost and looked bad in other games were better. It’s funny what happens when you let the teams play and not emotions decide what we think.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Jags also lost Lawrence during the game. So it isn't quite the picture you're painting. Josh Allen had a great game though
It was tied with less than 6 minutes to go in the game when Lawrence got hurt. He played the vast majority of the game.

The Bengals’ backup did more than enough to compete with a much better team record wise who had their starting QB on the road for 85% of the game. Maybe letting the teams decide things on the field is a good thing.

Last edited:
It was tied with less than 6 minutes to go in the game when Lawrence got hurt. He played the vast majority of the game.

The Bengals’ backup did more than enough to compete with a much better team record wise who had their starting QB on the road for 85% of the game. Maybe letting the teams decide things on the field is a good thing.
Yeah but FSU don’t have that kind of quality on 3rd string. They don’t have a bunch of pros waiting to be signed this late.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Yeah but FSU don’t have that kind of quality on 3rd string. They don’t have a bunch of pros waiting to be signed this late.

Plus we saw exactly how fsu looked with their QB situation. Not good enough. It isn't as if it was some mystery or they played well with another QB

Reactions: ganner918
I don’t think emotions had anything to do with FSU not getting in. Emotions would say put them in because they “deserve” it.

The only thing that matters in college sports $$$$$$ is the reason they did not get in.

Hard to sell advertising in a 42-0 final four game.

Let’s not pretend that one of the best 60 qb’s in the world is equivalent to Florida State’s third string, walk on quarterback or that the NFL is in any way comparable to college football in that aspect.

Fsu didn't play anyone comparable to a top 10 type team since their opener.

Thats another issue here and if their qb had been healthy it would be getting more talk if they had of got n over both sec teams.

I mean their 2nd best win wad a crappy UL team that could have lost 5 to 6 games.

Yea, the first 28 points & 55 minutes don't matter. And the Bengals played w/o Burrow for over 60 minutes.

They also had weeks to adjust and have the backup get 1st team snaps. Let's also not forget a weak holding call that erased the jags pass play down to the 1 yard line.

I'm a bengals fan but they were very fortunate to win that game

No more important than any other time. Would it have been the most important time if they were up 3 touchdowns?

It's much worse to go to a backup mid game than it is to have the backup take weeks worth of #1 reps. I don't know why this is even a contested point

Jags also lost Lawrence during the game. So it isn't quite the picture you're painting. Josh Allen had a great game though
it is the picture he is painting, Lawrence got hurt on their next to final drive and was sacked. At that time he had played the entire game and the score was 28-28. The bengals kicked a FG and then Beatherd came in with under 2 mins left to try and win and he played well- if not for a holding call in OT, the jags probably win this game, so yea, the picture painted is accurate- The Jags didnt lose due to the late injury

I thought backup QBs weren’t allowed to win games and the teams behind them that lost and looked bad in other games were better. It’s funny what happens when you let the teams play and not emotions decide what we think.
FSU is a out and the Bengals still suck. That's the only cold hard facts in this conversation.

WHO DEY that was a huge win don't know if it will carry over for the rest of the season highly unlikely but at least the bengals are still breathing browning looked really good

Reactions: TheJuddDome
With Burrow and Cam Taylor-Britt on IR, I picked the Jags. Glad to be wrong about the defense but I figured they had a chance to score points with Higgins back. No thanks to the head coach who called 2 stoopid trick plays that essentially cost them 10 points. One deep in their own territory. smh

Reactions: TheJuddDome
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT