ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Barkley says the bad boy Pistons would break Stephen Curry. No they wouldn't.

Steve Kerr survived it. Curry would have as well.
Problem with that comparison is that defenses never focused on Kerr. He made his living as the role player left open from deep when the top option like Jordan was being double teamed.

Curry would’ve faced an entirely different level of defensive scrutiny and taken a far greater physical beating.

Last edited:
Not sure I follow...

Just using Thomas as a comp PG from '80's.

He was #2 pick overall, after 2 years at IU. Started day one as a 20 year old. Detroit was meh for two years and then went to playoffs years 3-5 making no noise really; started awesome run years 6-8.

Curry was #7 pick overall, after 3 years at Davidson. Started day one as a 21 year old. GS was pretty terrible for 3 years and then went to playoffs years 4-5 making little noise; started historical run in year 6.

Seems pretty similar to me....
I don't disagree that the numbers are similar, but the game is very different. That's all I'm saying. The games were rougher, the fouls were harder and the players were much tougher. In today's world, the players are protected, the game isn't as tough. So I just don't think you can compare the two and say Curry would thrive in those days. I just don't see. It's okay if you don't agree; I just don't see anything from him that makes me think he would be that good back in those days.

I don't disagree that the numbers are similar, but the game is very different. That's all I'm saying. The games were rougher, the fouls were harder and the players were much tougher. In today's world, the players are protected, the game isn't as tough. So I just don't think you can compare the two and say Curry would thrive in those days. I just don't see. It's okay if you don't agree; I just don't see anything from him that makes me think he would be that good back in those days.

I agree the games were way rougher. And maybe he doesn't get as many open looks or gets roughed up and misses time, who knows. All I was saying is his Dad who was a quarter of the player Steph is averaged 16ppg in heart of the timeframe we are discussing. He also played 80-90% of games. Steph is a career 43% 3pt shooter.

He would have gotten his, JMHO. It is hard to compare generations but the best of the best would thrive in any era to a degree.

The 2017 Warriors with Steph and Durant would beat any 80's team by 20+ points and would beat the 90's Bulls by double digits. There, I said it.

The 2017 Warriors with Steph and Durant would beat any 80's team by 20+ points and would beat the 90's Bulls by double digits. There, I said it.
Wrong. The league is much younger now. Mental toughness advantage big time to those older teams of the 80's and 90's. That would be too much for these younger teams to overcome.

Wrong. The league is much younger now. Mental toughness advantage big time to those older teams of the 80's and 90's. That would be too much for these younger teams to overcome.
Curry 29
Thompson 27
Durant 29
Green 27
Mcgee 29

That was the age of the 2017 Warriors starting lineup, the 2018 team which also won the title would be a year older. All 5 guys were in the peak of there primes.
They also beat a Cavs team where the average age of the starting lineup was 30.6

I have no idea the counter point you are trying to make.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read on here, and that's saying a lot. The Bulls had 3 all time greats on D. Nobody on that Warriors team was guarding Jordan. Just an asinine statement.

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
Quite possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read on here, and that's saying a lot. The Bulls had 3 all time greats on D. Nobody on that Warriors team was guarding Jordan. Just an asinine statement.
Players evolve. Who would guard 6'11 Kevin Durant?
That Warriors offense with spacing would break the brains of the 90s teams, basketball was played a whole different way.

That Warriors offense with spacing would break the brains of the 90s teams, basketball was played a whole different way.
Scottie Pippen was arguably the best defensive perimeter forward of all time. I don’t think anyone has ever been better at covering long dudes that play out on the wing. And Jordan and Rodman were also all time caliber defensive players.

The notion that a team that started three of the all-time great defensive players would be helpless defending anyone today just makes me laugh.

Reactions: RipThru
Scottie Pippen was arguably the best defensive perimeter forward of all time. I don’t think anyone has ever been better at covering long dudes that play out on the wing. And Jordan and Rodman were also all time caliber defensive players.

The notion that a team that started three of the all-time great defensive players would be helpless defending anyone today just makes me laugh.
In the 90s, NBA teams shot 11.4 three-pointers per game and made 4.0 per game.
2016 Steph Curry, just him, shot 11.2 three-pointers per game and made 5.1 per game.
This is not factoring in Klay Thompson, arguably the 2nd greatest 3-point shooter ever. And Kevin Durant, arguably the greatest scoring forward ever.

The game is just different now, for better AND worse. Pippen was elite no doubt, but he was guarding a bunch of dudes who couldn't shoot and only wanted to shoot in the paint. Defense is MUCH more difficult when having to cover dudes 30 feet out.

Pretty simple - Curry would yank those guards around and dominate the same if not more than he did in this era. Players are simply more skilled and just better at basketball.

Same goes for lebron, durant, Giannis, or whoever. If lebron could shoulder check and push people around then that would make him even more of a problem.

Players evolve in every sport.

Kevin Durant would give Scottie Pippen 30+ points.

Reactions: BlueBlackNWhite
Jordan would average 40 points a game in the modern NBA. He'd get 15 points a game just from the free throw line. He'd also develop a three point shot because the way the game is played. It wasn't needed in his era.
Jordan couldn’t shoot. Not going to pretend he can all of the sudden shoot lol. Would Wilt have been able to shoot?

In the 90s, NBA teams shot 11.4 three-pointers per game and made 4.0 per game.
2016 Steph Curry, just him, shot 11.2 three-pointers per game and made 5.1 per game.
This is not factoring in Klay Thompson, arguably the 2nd greatest 3-point shooter ever. And Kevin Durant, arguably the greatest scoring forward ever.

The game is just different now, for better AND worse. Pippen was elite no doubt, but he was guarding a bunch of dudes who couldn't shoot and only wanted to shoot in the paint. Defense is MUCH more difficult when having to cover dudes 30 feet out.
Exactly. Would the 1985 bears stop the Kansas City Chiefs? No, the chiefs would score every time they had the ball.

Reactions: BlueBlackNWhite
Posted this before and here is it again. Today's game is nothing like what was being played in the 80s and 90s. Pretty much since the day LeBron set foot in the league, every rule change that has been instituted was to help offenses and neuter defenses. The NBA is a guard/forward dominated league now. We have better shooters now but try doing that in an era where you were constantly hand checked and pushed to the ground.

Posted this before and here is it again. Today's game is nothing like what was being played in the 80s and 90s. Pretty much since the day LeBron set foot in the league, every rule change that has been instituted was to help offenses and neuter defenses. The NBA is a guard/forward dominated league now. We have better shooters now but try doing that in an era where you were constantly hand checked and pushed to the ground.

so they’re going to foul out pushing guys to the ground? Interesting.

Personally, I find the arguments about hand-checking overblown. That’s a much more effective technique for keeping someone out of the paint than it is running them off the 3 point line. If you’re trying to come out and hand-check a top level ball handler 35 feet from the basket, you’re going to get roasted quite a bit. Second, even in that era when it was legal, tiny guards like Muggsy Bogues and Spud Webb had multiple seasons of averaging double digits despite barely utilizing the 3. To act like an all-time great like Curry would just go cry in a corner playing under those rules is just silly to me.

I think he would be fine but I question if his body would hold up. That’s it.
Agree, defenses would be much more physical on him then and he would be beat up more physically. I have little doubt he would do well but agree with your point.

In 1999, the best scoring team in the NBA averaged 100.2 points a game. In 2023, the worst scoring team in the league averaged 109.5 points per game. So some people believe the only reason things changed is because players are better shooters today?

In 1999, the best scoring team in the NBA averaged 100.2 points a game. In 2023, the worst scoring team in the league averaged 109.5 points per game. So some people believe the only reason things changed is because players are better shooters today?
Amongst other things: players today are better dribblers, taller, faster, quicker, jump higher, stronger, lower body fat, better nutrition.

It wasn't a foul back in the 80s and 90s. That's my point.
Okay. Find a video of people pushing other players on the ground and it not being a foul. Idk why people try to make it seem like this era was football man. They hand checked and sometimes fouled hard at the rim. I watched hoops back then, it’s not even close to what some people try to make it up to be.

Pippen or Jordan. They both guarded a pretty skilled 6'11 guy named Tony Kukoc in the Olympics. Sure, Durant is better but it's not like Durant is gonna go to the post much.

Please delete this my god
Damn, what a drama queen. It's clear to me you have no idea what you're talking about with all the BS posts you've made in this thread. Move along. I have no desire to interact with you.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
Damn, what a drama queen. It's clear to me you have no idea what you're talking about with all the BS posts you've made in this thread. Move along. I have no desire to interact with you.
Says the guy who just compared Kevin Durant to a player who averaged 11 points per game in his career. You’re right, I have no idea what I’m talking about.

Says the guy who just compared Kevin Durant to a player who averaged 11 points per game in his career. You’re right, I have no idea what I’m talking about.
1. I know I’m right. You are clueless.
2. I didn’t compare the 2. Reading is hard but I clearly said Durant was better. It was simply a point of reference. But you do you, dumbass

Reactions: KFuqua
1. I know I’m right. You are clueless.
2. I didn’t compare the 2. Reading is hard but I clearly said Durant was better. It was simply a point of reference. But you do you, dumbass
The point was they had never seen a durant in that era. Nobody has ever been able to guard Durant. “But Jordan and pippen guarded kukoc!!!” Nobody cares about that role player. Pippen, Jordan, whoever is getting 30 ball on their head.

They also never saw a steph curry or klay thompson. That warriors team would win in 4 and none of those games are close.

They also never saw a steph curry or klay thompson. That warriors team would win in 4 and none of those games are close.
Just reading through this thread....seems like you believe you are some type of final authority on the matter.

The true answer is no one knows because it is impossible to compare eras. I think Barkley is stupid for saying what he said. I also think people are stupid when they say things like "the Warriors would win in 4 and none of the games would be close." Nobody knows.

Here is a video detailing highlights from the 1997 NBA playoffs. I have watched this a few times, and there is nothing that gives me the impression that these athletes from the 90s wouldn't be just as productive if they were playing today (especially with the way medical technology and nutrition has advanced).

Just reading through this thread....seems like you believe you are some type of final authority on the matter.

The true answer is no one knows because it is impossible to compare eras. I think Barkley is stupid for saying what he said. I also think people are stupid when they say things like "the Warriors would win in 4 and none of the games would be close." Nobody knows.

Here is a video detailing highlights from the 1997 NBA playoffs. I have watched this a few times, and there is nothing that gives me the impression that these athletes from the 90s wouldn't be just as productive if they were playing today (especially with the way medical technology and nutrition has advanced).

Seems like you struggle reading then. I’m giving my opinion just like everyone else has in this thread. I don’t care what you watched, or how many times you have watched it tbh. That bulls team isn’t nearly as talented which is okay to admit, the warriors shouldn’t have been allowed to create a team like they did. You also don’t get to add technology or nutrition because that is what evolves athletes and the sport

Seems like you struggle reading then. I’m giving my opinion just like everyone else has in this thread. I don’t care what you watched, or how many times you have watched it tbh. That bulls team isn’t nearly as talented which is okay to admit, the warriors shouldn’t have been allowed to create a team like they did. You also don’t get to add technology or nutrition because that is what evolves athletes and the sport
No, I read your posts just fine. You seem to think your "opinion" is fact.

Between our opinions, the only one that is a fact is mine, which is that nobody knows.

Also, when you say "that Bulls team isn't nearly as talented," you lose all credibility.

Curry has missed 231 career games due to injury; Durant 256... but sure, they would hold up in the most physical era the NBA has ever seen.

Okay. Find a video of people pushing other players on the ground and it not being a foul. Idk why people try to make it seem like this era was football man. They hand checked and sometimes fouled hard at the rim. I watched hoops back then, it’s not even close to what some people try to make it up to be.
Did you bother to watch the video I posted?

Amongst other things: players today are better dribblers, taller, faster, quicker, jump higher, stronger, lower body fat, better nutrition.
If today's athletes are that much faster, stronger and better shooters why hasn't it translated to the college game? And if today's players are faster, taller, quicker and can jump higher then why hasn't it translated to the defensive end of the court?

Kentucky averaged 74.5 ppg this past season while our 1982 team averaged 73.3 ppg without a shot clock or three-point shot. and with teams running four corners offenses. It's pretty much the same across NCAA BB.

Same goes for the NFL. Scoring is pretty much the same today as it was in the 90s. What makes the NBA so different? Could it be because of all the rule changes to boost offenses and weaken defenses over the past 20 years?

I agree the games were way rougher. And maybe he doesn't get as many open looks or gets roughed up and misses time, who knows. All I was saying is his Dad who was a quarter of the player Steph is averaged 16ppg in heart of the timeframe we are discussing. He also played 80-90% of games. Steph is a career 43% 3pt shooter.

He would have gotten his, JMHO. It is hard to compare generations but the best of the best would thrive in any era to a degree.
Fair enough! We both see it differently and that's okay. And since there's no way we'll ever know for sure; that's all we can do.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Mental toughness and defensive prowess is the separator. Curry and the Warriors would not survive the balanced attack from the 95-96 Bulls team.

Reactions: grevey35
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT