ADVERTISEMENT

Osobor Gets $2Mil

Or maybe just a reno on the current facility then. There's a heck of a lot you can do with $2mil, especially when that $2mil will see actual value past year 1.. as opposed to in NIL where it's just for THIS year,
Agreed. This is a ridiculous number. If this guy gets $2 million, what does Arch Manning get or the next Alabama, Ohio State or Texas QB star?

That's probably what Kentucky has in Williams, Garrison, and Carr. Now, don't get me wrong here, I think Osobor is a better player than any of our three...but I sure would NOT make a three for one swap with Washington.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Yep, this is re-setting the new bar of expectation. Next year’s top portal guys will be expecting at least $2 million because that’s what last year’s guy got. And then we’ll keep getting a new even higher bar each succeeding year after that.

This NIL thing has spiraled out of control remarkably fast. Any hopes the NCAA might’ve had of containing it within reasonable bounds have already been lost.
Just like any sport! Take baseball for example, guys back in the old days (time baseball was invented till the early 70's), guys weren't making enough and had to get jobs in the off-season, I'm talking about Mantle, Aaron, Mays. Only guy I ever remember getting paid was Babe. But finally in the 70's the players got together and formed a union, and we know what has happened since then. And college basketball is headed down the same path just alot quicker, but the problem is it will have to take the whole NCAA student athlete with it. So I don't know what is going to become of college basketball or college sports in the future. I honestly think presidents and AD's and the whole college administration are just going to have to say no to all these ridiculous demands of money. And we all know that will not happen, but eventually only the big schools in the big conferences will survive. In the future we might only have 80-125 schools in division 1.

What is that gonna do for Washington? They’re still not gonna be contenders.

$2 million to rent this kid for a few months just to end up in the same position they were before. Sound like a waste of money to me.

But what do I know, there’s a whole LOT that I don’t understand about this weird new CBB era.
What if, God forbid, he gets injured? Does he still get paid?

Yeah, I don't have a problem with players getting paid for their name, image, and likeness, but come on! This is not about that at all.
I agree 110%. Players should have been able to make $ from their NIL all along. (Remember all the scandals about players getting paid for their signatures? Marketing, signatures, etc ... is what they should have allowed all along.

Legally, there is nothing the NCAA can do to prevent a collective from giving a player money to come to a school. The Supreme Court has spoken. There is nothing (but common sense) that prevents any company from giving crazy signing bonuses. We both know there will always be boosters who want to throw crazy $ at players to get them to a school.

I do not blame the players at all. Athletic departments have made millions/billions without wanting to give a dime to the players.

The only way I see this changing is NCAA & congress figuring out how to make players employees. BTW - it will take players from smaller schools pushing the envelope. Why would any P5 player want to stop this gravy train. Sure, several P5 players are not raking in big dollars with NIL. But, they're making more than they will when they eventually become employees.

Not to get off topic, but I'm curious how long it takes before we have a high-profile issue between a college player and the IRS. You know some of these college players are getting bad financial advice, and they'll blow through their money without paying the man!

There’s a reason all these guys are in the portal and not the draft. There aren’t any AD’s or Zions.

I wasn’t referencing just guys in the portal. NIL goes to incoming freshman where those AD’s and Zion’s are more likely to come from. 🙂

Reactions: gojvc
For the sake of college basketball, players like Osobor and others who are supposedly getting extremely large NIL deals need to have very subpar years next year. Schools that are seemingly willing to take flyers handing over big time NIL deals to such players need to see such experiments fail. Then maybe the appetite for offering such deals will greatly diminish, and maybe players will recognize they can't reasonably demand such deals.

Reactions: NociHTTP
“Times, they are a changin.”

Osobor gets $2mil to play for Washington. I’m glad for him, and also glad Pope didn’t pay the $. I think we could have paid the $, but I want a team and not a bunch of mercenaries. (And, I believe players should get paid!)
Ridiculous for anybody but particularly for a school that cares nothing for basketball but loves to protest.

I don't fault the kid at all, get your money. Sort of like we have to overpay for Stoops, Washington had to overpay for Osobor. Notice that the UKs, Kansases, and UNCs of the world weren't willing to pay that - simply because it isn't worth it to them. It may be worth it to a program struggling to make waves like Washington.

Overall I think we will see the numbers come down unless the transfers really go crazy and dominate.

I don't care what anyone thinks 1/2 million is way to much money to play any player to play CBB. NIL is going to cause a lot of problems in the locker room and cause a lot of jealously amongst teams.

I agree 110%. Players should have been able to make $ from their NIL all along. (Remember all the scandals about players getting paid for their signatures? Marketing, signatures, etc ... is what they should have allowed all along.

Legally, there is nothing the NCAA can do to prevent a collective from giving a player money to come to a school. The Supreme Court has spoken. There is nothing (but common sense) that prevents any company from giving crazy signing bonuses. We both know there will always be boosters who want to throw crazy $ at players to get them to a school.

I do not blame the players at all. Athletic departments have made millions/billions without wanting to give a dime to the players.

The only way I see this changing is NCAA & congress figuring out how to make players employees. BTW - it will take players from smaller schools pushing the envelope. Why would any P5 player want to stop this gravy train. Sure, several P5 players are not raking in big dollars with NIL. But, they're making more than they will when they eventually become employees.

Not to get off topic, but I'm curious how long it takes before we have a high-profile issue between a college player and the IRS. You know some of these college players are getting bad financial advice, and they'll blow through their money without paying the man!
Excellent post!!!

Why so much hate for a guy getting paid? You're worth exactly what people will pay you. Why not just be happy for him

The only way I see this changing is NCAA & congress figuring out how to make players employees.
I wonder if anybody knows if the NCAA has a special exemption concerning employee/independent contractor status. I was a workers comp auditor for a while(hated it!) and the main part of the job was deciding whether or not the person receiving compensation was an employee or an independent contractor. The four determining factors were : did the person do the same job for others?, did the person paying determine when the person worked, where the person worked, and how the work was done? In all cases, if it was determined the same was as in other work areas, they would already be considered employees even without cash payment. That is, they don't also play for other college teams and the coaches tell them where to be and when to be there and how he wants them to play and they received compensation(free food, tuition, etc.).

Osobor gets $2mil to play for Washington. I’m glad for him, and also glad Pope didn’t pay the $. I think we could have paid the $, but I want a team and not a bunch of mercenaries. (And, I believe players should get paid!)
So he ends up going to his previous coach huh? I think all his visits were a joke and no wonder nobody else signed him. He may be good but he’s not a 2 million dollar player. Laughable.

Could this “pay for play” at some point in the future trickle down to the high school level?
God I hope not. What I wanna know is when the IRS gets involved because I guarantee a lot of these dudes are not claiming taxes on some of this cash. I’m in now way a fan of the IRS nor want it to happen just that we all know the tax man will come.

Heck, with the possible exception of Butler, we hadn’t heard of ANY of these guys.
I knew Krissa and Carr. I remember Garrison from the AA game. I hadn’t seen Williams but I heard about Osobor(didn’t land him obviously) and the Mountain West all year on field of 68.

Yep, this is re-setting the new bar of expectation. Next year’s top portal guys will be expecting at least $2 million because that’s what last year’s guy got. And then we’ll keep getting a new even higher bar each succeeding year after that.

This NIL thing has spiraled out of control remarkably fast. Any hopes the NCAA might’ve had of containing it within reasonable bounds have already been lost.
Eventually it will cap out because you can’t keep building rosters every year paying dudes 2-3 million a year. Maybe when we or other schools have roster stability and we can be picky only replacing 2-3 key players but overall kids won’t be able to command that because the market will crumble IMO.

What are our signees receiving ??
I do not know if accurate, of course, but I saw it reported that Brea was seeking $1,800,000. The NIL$$$ is wild !!

Last edited:
If Osobor is a first team All-American and leads Washington deep into the NCAA tournament then they might have gotten their money’s worth. Anything less than that and he’s a bust

God I hope not. What I wanna know is when the IRS gets involved because I guarantee a lot of these dudes are not claiming taxes on some of this cash. I’m in now way a fan of the IRS nor want it to happen just that we all know the tax man will come.
In addition to federal, state, and local income taxes, it would seem that they should also have to pay about 15% in self-employment taxes. Maybe some of Biden’s additional 83,000 auditor’s should make certain that they are complying. 😀

• Sad
Reactions: Fox2monk
I stick with that what is going to reset this stupid 2mil number or push it forward is how do these transfers perform in the court and how does it translate to team success.

The NFL saw straight up that the Browns ****ed themselves when they did the Watson signing and the guaranteed money. You haven’t seen any other deal come close to that because everyone knew that was ignorant, and he has proven to be the biggest waste of money ever.

So basically what will prove if big money should be spent is if spending this money brings wins , and I mean BIG wins. Boosters ain’t ponying up year to year for a lack of production. Not the true contenders at least. Washington won’t be a contender unless this dude is truly a superb program changer…..,do you all think he will be? Honest question and no wrong answers

In addition to federal, state, and local income taxes, it would seem that they should also have to pay about 15% in self-employment taxes. Maybe some of Biden’s additional 83,000 auditor’s should make certain that they are complying. 😀
I would venture to say most would be under independent contractor status for sure. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear in the future some of these large earners who are In some trouble for not claiming.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat

Is Wheeler back for another season? I believe he could have one more COVID year still.

Is Wheeler back for another season? I believe he could have one more COVID year still.
Wheeler isn’t worth the lose change in my truck seat.

But, I’d start a GoFundMe account to get him to Arkansas for another year. Let him be a GA coach/player.

I would venture to say most would be under independent contractor status for sure. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear in the future some of these large earners who are In some trouble for not claiming.
This article seems to confirm your thoughts. They need to hire good tax preparer to stay out of trouble. Surely the college admin will guide them properly.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I know everyone is saying it is real but I call BS. I think his agent is floating it to get other players paid and run prices up. There no way to verify this unless you have seen it which probably means a NDA as well. Literally anyone that has privy of seeing it would have a reason to not discredit it.

Say what you want about MM but he was saying most of the kids don’t go over the 500-750 range in college for the great players. I just don’t see 2 million.

What is that gonna do for Washington? They’re still not gonna be contenders.

$2 million to rent this kid for a few months just to end up in the same position they were before. Sound like a waste of money to me.

But what do I know, there’s a whole LOT that I don’t understand about this weird new CBB era.
I agree, the 2 million amount is ridiculous. But I think most teams are, as you said, simply renting players for a few months. For those that hated the one and done strategy, it is now going to take place every year for almost every team. Pope will have a total rebuild for next season. Hopefully Perry and Chandler will be holdovers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT