ADVERTISEMENT

Osobor Gets $2Mil

While I'm glad Kentucky didn't overpay for Osobor, EVERY TEAM is a team of mercenaries. All a program can decide is whether it wants the best mecenaries, pretty good mercenaries or average mercenaries.
I disagree to some extent. I believe many of our players could get more money at other schools. Many schools (like Washington) are willing to overpay to get a player. I don’t believe all our players chose us simply because we paid the highest NIL. I think we paid a good price, plus provide opportunity to play on biggest stage. Plus. I think our players want to be part of Pope’s system.

I don’t fault Osboro at all. It’s a former coach, and they wanted to make a big splash. It was perfect timing for him.

Most of us would consider changing jobs for a certain amount of $. But, if the other/existing offer is comparable then we usually choose the combination of fit and money. I’m guessing (I don’t know) that our players chose great pay combined with a good fit.

Reactions: Fox2monk
“Times, they are a changin.”

Osobor gets $2mil to play for Washington. I’m glad for him, and also glad Pope didn’t pay the $. I think we could have paid the $, but I want a team and not a bunch of mercenaries. (And, I believe players should get paid!)
SMH. I like Pope. I detest cow turd. So all of that was a win. But NIL? I can’t support that

While I'm glad Kentucky didn't overpay for Osobor, EVERY TEAM is a team of mercenaries. All a program can decide is whether it wants the best mecenaries, pretty good mercenaries or average mercenaries.
And, I can decide to not watch it. It’s sad. But it’s a no go

Absolutely. Some of our fans are just gonna pretend it doesn't apply to UK and that's fine to live in ignorance.
If your theory is right then UK could not afford Osoboro. (I don’t think that’s the case.)

We certainly use NIL to bring in players. I don’t pretend that’s not true. I’m saying UK offers more than JUST NIL. I don’t think Pope will chase after players who are JUST chasing NIL.

This is ridiculous and totally out of hand, I knew when he didn't commit to Kentucky, it was probably a money thing, so much for him wanting to play with Williams. This will cause dissent within any team, he just put monumental pressure on his coach and their program. This is what happens when you let the tail wag the dog.

Friend, teammate, family... for that kind of money, I don't blame him cause I probably would've moved to Washington, too.

I mean, if UK was offering $1 million, you could make a case he may put up better numbers and get more exposure in Lexington, so he would likely make up the additional million over time, but even that is no guarantee.

This is setting the precedent for future players that’s going to demand the high $! I mean 2 million a year in college would have to be an Anthony Davis type player before I’d be willing to play that for a player!
Yep, this is re-setting the new bar of expectation. Next year’s top portal guys will be expecting at least $2 million because that’s what last year’s guy got. And then we’ll keep getting a new even higher bar each succeeding year after that.

This NIL thing has spiraled out of control remarkably fast. Any hopes the NCAA might’ve had of containing it within reasonable bounds have already been lost.

I'm absolutely glad we passed up on that. Greed greed greed. Education means nothing to these fools.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Mad because I’m laughing at how stupid you are? Uneducated goof too stupid to think for yourself. An agent put the out and sold it to a bunch of mindless simpletons who can’t apply logic and reason or think for themselves. This is like that time you bought the Jerry Jones doubling NIL offers because you’re stupid.
You do realize once we all put you on ignore, you’ll be talking to yourself, which is what you’re pretty much already doing 🤣

See ya clown🤡, until your next failed attempt at a different username 👋🏻

Imagine thinking Washington basketball paid anyone $2 million. Matt Jones can sell his mindless sheep any ignorance. It doesn’t even have to make sense and y’all buy the BS every time.

He didn’t go their for his coach, Washington basketball is now paying basketball players $2 million. I can’t stop laughing at you mindless sheep.
Imagine thinking this information was only coming from Matt Jones.

You do realize once we all put you on ignore, you’ll be talking to yourself, which is what you’re pretty much already doing 🤣

See ya clown🤡, until your next failed attempt at a different username 👋🏻
I already blocked him. He doesn't like my ugly face, lol.

Thanks, fixed it. He will still be irrelevant and the only things basketball fans will know of him is as the biggest flop in the NIL era. I mean at 2 mil, what are the expectations, 20/20/10 per game? No way the kids has that much talent. Gonna end bad.
Why would I care ?
I'm getting 2 million

This is made up BS that only dumb people believe.
LOL, only dumb people believe it ? No, only dumb people ignore the 4 or five different outlets that have actually confirmed it to be TRUE, but continue to say different. But keep beating your head against a brick wall, it might maybe knock some common sense into you brain.

The $2 million figure is now being widely reported …including by ESPN on its front page …based on the actual documents ESPN/Givony reportedly reviewed. These are not just crazy rumors.

Well, he just set a new bar that any player of his caliber and above is going to command. And that's precisely why his agent blabbed about it.

When I saw this posted I immediately thought....no way! NIL is going to get much worse and way out of hand before anything can be done to reel it in. I have no idea what can be done or if anything but the current NIL model is not sustainable. Only a select few schools will be able to pay.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
It might take a few years of some of these guys not living up to their salaries, such as Osobor, who I can't imagine is going to be worth $2,000,000.. before we start pulling back on these NIL offers.

The players can make these demands now, because this whole thing is so new. Someone or some people within Washington figured "Ok, we're getting a top portal player, throw him whatever hes asking for".. but when Washington loses 11 games, gets a 7-seed and gets bounced in the opening weekend.. those folks are not going to be too happy their $2,000,000 was basically for nothing.

I mean think of what a university would use $2mil for? That's a whole new state of the art sports complex.. or heck, even more useless administrators on the campus! Lol.

I have no idea why everyone is up in arms about this? Is it an over pay? Maybe, I am glad we didn't pay it but if you look at this site and other social media sites, you'd think this young man is the devil. Happy he took advantage of an opportunity. That is why coaches need to be on top of this, the NIL is a budget to manage and you need to use it wisely. People act like this young man is selfish and why? Because he didn't come to UK? That is the definition of selfish. I have zero problems seeing these dudes maximizing their value and tapping into the millions made off of college sports. Every single person alive would do the same, its no different than taking a new job for more money, while doing the exact same job. Humanity is the definition of hypocrisy. And miss me with the amateur sports arguments, college sports has never been truly amateur sports. Now, its just legal to pay them

I don’t blame these guys for getting their bread if a school is going to throw it at them. Most don’t have an NBA future .

It’s still crazy times though. I never heard of most of the guys in the portal. I guess that’s more on me though because I mainly just watch Kentucky in the regular season .

“Times, they are a changin.”

Osobor gets $2mil to play for Washington. I’m glad for him, and also glad Pope didn’t pay the $. I think we could have paid the $, but I want a team and not a bunch of mercenaries. (And, I believe players should get paid!)
Yeah, I don't have a problem with players getting paid for their name, image, and likeness, but come on! This is not about that at all. If there are no rules of some kind placed on this thing, it's gonna get completely out of hand. It already has, and here is exhibit A.

But this makes one thing clear- we now know exactly why Osobor didn't come to UK. Pope was wise to stay away from this guy. He wasn't visiting teams to decide where he wanted to play, who to play with, how he might win a title, and who would be his coach. He was ONLY looking for someone, ANYONE, who would pay him the money he wanted. Washington? Haha! That's hilarious! It's obvious he doesn't care about winning championships. He will likely disappear now.

What is that gonna do for Washington? They’re still not gonna be contenders.

$2 million to rent this kid for a few months just to end up in the same position they were before. Sound like a waste of money to me.

But what do I know, there’s a whole LOT that I don’t understand about this weird new CBB era.
A waster of a boosters $ is the real problem I have. The schools have zero skin in the game but make all the $.

It might take a few years of some of these guys not living up to their salaries, such as Osobor, who I can't imagine is going to be worth $2,000,000.. before we start pulling back on these NIL offers.

The players can make these demands now, because this whole thing is so new. Someone or some people within Washington figured "Ok, we're getting a top portal player, throw him whatever hes asking for".. but when Washington loses 11 games, gets a 7-seed and gets bounced in the opening weekend.. those folks are not going to be too happy their $2,000,000 was basically for nothing.

I mean think of what a university would use $2mil for? That's a whole new state of the art sports complex.. or heck, even more useless administrators on the campus! Lol.
I get your point, but you would be lucky to pour the footer for a state of the art sports complex for $2 million.

I get your point, but you would be lucky to pour the footer for a state of the art sports complex for $2 million.

Or maybe just a reno on the current facility then. There's a heck of a lot you can do with $2mil, especially when that $2mil will see actual value past year 1.. as opposed to in NIL where it's just for THIS year,

Absolutely ridiculous.
Talk about animosity among the players.
So glad Pope moved on. Very smart.
I think the $$$$ should be pretty level across a team’s players, otherwise it creates friction within the team. Even with stuff like who’s getting the most shots and minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT