ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar not eligible for NIL money, why not ?

Do you know why he can't but Sharpe can?

Nope. It's possible he has a green card or a different type of visa. Or maybe even dual citizenship. There are a lot of possibilities and I don't know anything about his situation.

Are we sure that Sharpe can in fact make NIL money without getting kicked out of the country? I've seen it mentioned a lot, but I don't know if it's coming from somewhere legitimate or just message board randos speculating.

That’s absolutely ridiculous. What’s right is right Oscars here just like anyone else come on now.

Bottom line is there’s fools out there would lead you to believe he don’t deserve it. That’s some bull if you ask me wonder if they’d ever say that to Oscars face. Here’s a hint they wouldn’t

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Bad rule
If he is eligible and in good standing he should get what the others get
No doubt. Seems like a discriminatory rule. Surely the NCAA will address the issue expeditiously so foreign born student athletes have the same NIL opportunities. Who am I kidding? Duke doesn't have any international players facing the same dilemma.

No doubt. Seems like a discriminatory rule. Surely the NCAA will address the issue expeditiously so foreign born student athletes have the same NIL opportunities. Who am I kidding? Duke doesn't have any international players facing the same dilemma.
Jeez, why does this have to be spelled out in every single thread where this issue is discussed?

Once again, the NCAA has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. They couldn’t address it even if they wanted to. This has nothing to do with NCAA rules, instead it’s Federal immigration laws that are impeding Oscar from earning.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigTyrone
Citizenship. It’s a beautiful thing not to be taken lightly.
Honestly this doesn't even make sense. Who is taking citizenship lightly? The process takes years, if not a decade or longer, to be become a citizen in the US. Are you suggesting that Oscar takes a US citizenship lightly? Some clarification to your post would be helpful.

R
I love the dichotomy of our fans bitching about immigration and people coming into our country, but when one of ours has to deal with the laws people support, it is discriminatory.

What’s funny is that it’s something a lot of those now bitching about it would’ve supported in the abstract.

The problem is that Oscar is here on a student visa, rather than a work visa. Very strict restrictions are placed on student visa holders’ right to make money here. Those restrictions were pushed for by Republican lawmakers based on their voters’ concern that foreigners were mis-using student visas to make money that would otherwise go to Americans.

But it seems those Republican voters have a different view on the issue when it might impede their favorite player from playing another season for their favorite team.

Last edited:
Reactions: baseball is life
I’m sure he could get his visa status changed if he hasn’t. Seems like a university attorney would help him out. His visa will have to change if he plays in the nba so it’s gotta be doable

I’m sure he could get his visa status changed if he hasn’t. Seems like a university attorney would help him out. His visa will have to change if he plays in the nba so it’s gotta be doable
You need a valid legal basis to change your visa status. You can’t just make up one. As long as he’s enrolled in UK with the status of full-time student …as is required to play …I don’t see basis for doing so (unless maybe we arrange a quickie marriage?).

NBA players can get their status easily changed based on the fact that they’re no longer here as students and have employers to sponsor them. Oscar can’t do that without leaving.

Maybe UK can employ some clever immigration lawyer to figure out how to change his status, but I’m not sure how…

Last edited:
You need a valid legal basis to change your visa status. You can’t just make up one. As long as he’s enrolled in UK with the status of full-time student …as is required to play …I don’t see basis for doing so (unless maybe we arrange a quickie marriage?).

NBA players can get their status easily changed based on the fact that they’re no longer here as students and have employers to sponsor them. Oscar can’t do that without leaving.

Maybe UK can employ some clever immigration lawyer to figure out how to change his status, but I’m not sure how…
Isn’t that what NIL does? Creates the opportunity for sponsors and employers?

R

What’s funny is that it’s something a lot of those now bitching about it would’ve supported in the abstract.

The problem is that Oscar is here on a student visa, rather than a work visa. Very strict restrictions are placed on student visa holders’ right to make money here. Those restrictions were pushed for by Republican lawmakers based on their voters’ concern that foreigners were mis-using student visas to make money that would otherwise go to Americans.

But it seems those Republican voters have a different view on the issue when it might impede their favorite player from playing another season for their favorite team.
How do you know the political affiliations of those complaining about Oscar not being able to receive money?

I love the dichotomy of our fans bitching about immigration and people coming into our country, but when one of ours has to deal with the laws people support, it is discriminatory.
Which fans are bitching about immigration laws?

I hope that gets worked out in the next few months. That dude could probably make more NIL money at UK next season than a #1 draft pick. He might be my favorite player ever at UK not just for his talent but who he is as a human being.
Same here. I love this young man’s spirit, attitude, talent, ethic… I won’t go on. He would be welcome at my house as long as he wanted. Nothing but love for Oscar. He is a class act.

The larger issue and why this law probably exists is for other cases. The US economy does not want large amounts of funds to exit the country on a massive scale and I'd say Oscar's status is very common on a NATIONAL SCALE.. Just a guess. Sharpes status is apparently different. Maybe even could be the difference between a war torn nation vs. a stable neighbor in Canada. Again, just a guess.

No one has a problem with immigrants coming into our country, only ones coming in illegally. Epic fail

Reactions: Wonky
R

I’m Republican and the law is the law. No one has a problem with immigrants coming here, it’s the illegal ones who we care about. Nice try tho!

You beat me to it.

I don't think a lot of these guys realize what's happening here. We hate it when people enter our country illegally from Mexico and take jobs and we demand the US does something about it. Well, this is one of those things they are doing about it.
I have a 'family member' that is Kenyen that came here on a student visa. we're dealing with immigration for him and have been for a while. It’s not fun.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
R

Yeah, because only republicans are hypocrites.

Sharpe being Canadian has like 7 different visa he can obtain unlike Oscar. Also there are NIL singing companies in Toronto that Sharpe can leave the country and sign deal with them. Many many options here.
Oscar's situation is different. Only one type of Student Visa. Even if he gets married or adopted to or by American Citizen it can take years to get green card.
Now can he leave the country and go to like Toronto and sign with them. I'm sure it's being looked into.

Go Cats.

Or do like Duke.
Get the a Crypto wallet opened in Switzerland, give it to the parents. Untraceable and problem solved

Just pay him illegally like college sports teams have been paying kids for the last 50 years. You think the NCAA is going to start investigating now?

• Love
Reactions: The Snoke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT