ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar’s season thus far, reminds me of …

Blue63Madison

All-American
May 21, 2002
Savannah, GA
Boogie Cousins’ one season at UK. Boogie was unstoppable in the paint, points and rebounds. The only thing that ever stopped him was foul trouble. Otherwise it always felt like he was a 20/20 threat on almost any given night. While Oscar’s foul problems haven’t been quite as bad so far, he too feels like he’s capable of going for 20/20 just about every game. I find myself tracking and calculating his stats every game by the second, or even first, TV timeout. Unfortunately he’s usually got a foul by then too. If he can just eliminate that one early foul, it seems like the refs are more enclined to not call them so close after that.

I would venture to say 33% of his fouls are not fouls. They try n get him to play more timid . It changes the game and refs can control point spread this way. It doesn't work with the Brahma bull lol

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
WindySimplisticInsect-size_restricted.gif

Oscar reminds me more of Julius Randall than any other player. Very similar builds and size. Randall is more skilled offensively (though Oscar is improving by leaps and bounds) but Oscar is a better rebounder. Of course I’m comparing both as UK players and not as Randall is currently.

I agree, OP. Regarding early fouls, I'd like to see Oscar playing a little "softer" defensively in the first 7-10 minutes to avoid 2 quick fouls. He's much more valuable as a strong rebounder and he can't do that from the bench. Even if it means having his man score a few early. Then late first half and all second half, release the Kraken!

I agree, OP. Regarding early fouls, I'd like to see Oscar playing a little "softer" defensively in the first 7-10 minutes to avoid 2 quick fouls. He's much more valuable as a strong rebounder and he can't do that from the bench. Even if it means having his man score a few early. Then late first half and all second half, release the Kraken!
My thoughts exactly lol. I’m just not sure Oscar has the ability to take his foot off the gas effort-wise.

Oscar reminds me more of Julius Randall than any other player. Very similar builds and size. Randall is more skilled offensively (though Oscar is improving by leaps and bounds) but Oscar is a better rebounder. Of course I’m comparing both as UK players and not as Randall is currently.
I wasn’t referring to them physically. Just the foul trouble issue, especially in the first halves of games.

Boogie Cousins’ one season at UK. Boogie was unstoppable in the paint, points and rebounds. The only thing that ever stopped him was foul trouble. Otherwise it always felt like he was a 20/20 threat on almost any given night. While Oscar’s foul problems haven’t been quite as bad so far, he too feels like he’s capable of going for 20/20 just about every game. I find myself tracking and calculating his stats every game by the second, or even first, TV timeout. Unfortunately he’s usually got a foul by then too. If he can just eliminate that one early foul, it seems like the refs are more enclined to not call them so close after that.
Something we agree on. Not sure I’m say Boogie. More Chuck Hayes to me with that motor. Regardless, an inspiring player.

Reactions: dl51344 and ruppcat
I swear there is a metal strip on the basketball somewhere and that on the palms of his hands there is a small magnet that just draws the ball to him. I mean some of the catches he makes in traffic are just amazing.

Or he has stick'em on his hands. Those things are as big as oven mitts.

I swear there is a metal strip on the basketball somewhere and that on the palms of his hands there is a small magnet that just draws the ball to him. I mean some of the catches he makes in traffic are just amazing.

Or he has stick'em on his hands. Those things are as big as oven mitts.
And he catches the ball with his fingers, not the palm of his hands. Like a receiver not letting the ball get into their body on a catch.

Last night he looked like a 35 year old savvy NBA vet. Old school game. Never rushes, incredible footwork and patience. The elbow jumper is becoming a true weapon.

Had small hopes of him returning early on but no way he comes back. So happy for him and can’t wait to see what else he does this season. He’s a special player.

And he catches the ball with his fingers, not the palm of his hands. Like a receiver not letting the ball get into their body on a catch.

Last night he looked like a 35 year old savvy NBA vet. Old school game. Never rushes, incredible footwork and patience. The elbow jumper is becoming a true weapon.

Had small hopes of him returning early on but no way he comes back. So happy for him and can’t wait to see what else he does this season. He’s a special player.
He's the type of kid that actually has a small chance of bucking the trend of leaving, but I still don't expect him to because Cal will force him out if he's lottery (which he will be).

Reactions: CalipariCapo
I love him. I am surprised how effective he has been on offense. He is a plodder but somehow makes shots on the block.

Reactions: chroix
He reminds me of Winston Bennet.
Bigger, stronger and a better rebounder than Bennett. Probably just as good a shot, if not better, from 15 feet and in. Bennett had better handles and was a great competitor too, much like Oscar.

I thought it was really odd how the announcers during the UNC game at the start of the 2nd half we’re talking about how great of a game Bacot was having. I thought Oscar chewed him up pretty good.

As far as comparisons go, he reminds me of Stone Cold Steve Austin in 1998. Just a total BAMF. A colossus that has completely bestrode the Earth, and and we petty men walk under his huge legs and peep about to find ourselves dishonorable graves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT