ADVERTISEMENT

One other option 4th and 8

Deeeefense

Aug 22, 2001
Chattanooga
A lot of debate over the decision to punt with 3 minutes left instead of trying to convert 4th and 8 - the debate has been between punting or going for it, but it just occurred to me that there was a 3rd option. The ball was at the UGA 47 YL. That would have been a 64 yard field goal attempt. But Jacob Kauwer kicks them in practice at the distance under rush. Wonder if that was even considered?

Could you image the reaction across the country if that had happened?

Last edited:
Either way if it works for you you’re a hero.
If it works against you… you played not to win…..

I feel okay with the call but not over happy. In hopes our D comes up with a quick stop.

I personally would have had a package and trick play in the bag just for something like this.

A lot of debate over the decision to punt with 3 minutes left instead of trying to convert 4th and 8 - the debate has been between punting or going for it, but it just occurred to me that there was a 3rd option. The ball was at the UGA 47 YL. That would have been a 64 yard field goal attempt. But Jacob Kauwer kicks them in practice at the distance under rush. Wonder if that was even considered?

Could you image the reaction across the country if that had happened?
I’ve been supportive of Mark Stoops but that decision was an absolute catastrophe. It was the worst decision made by a UK coach at least since the Joker Phillips decision to punt from the Tennessee 37 yard line, and maybe the worst ever. It’s a shame after all he’s done here but this was a legacy defining catastrophe. I’m 56 years old and Kentucky football fans will be talking about this until the day I draw my last breath and beyond. 24 hours ago I thought people talking about running off Mark Stoops were certifiably insane. But now, he could hit the trail this very minute for all I care.

I’ve been supportive of Mark Stoops but that decision was an absolute catastrophe. It was the worst decision made by a UK coach at least since the Joker Phillips decision to punt from the Tennessee 37 yard line, and maybe the worst ever. It’s a shame after all he’s done here but this was a legacy defining catastrophe. I’m 56 years old and Kentucky football fans will be talking about this until the day I draw my last breath and beyond. 24 hours ago I thought people talking about running off Mark Stoops were certifiably insane. But now, he could hit the trail this very minute for all I care.
There are a lot of knowledgeable people that support the decision to punt based on the analytics but that horse has been beat to death. I just wanted to point out that there might have been a 3rd option.

Reactions: JASUN74
There are a lot of knowledgeable people that support the decision to punt based on the analytics but that horse has been beat to death. I just wanted to point out that there might have been a 3rd option.
I would have preferred your option suggestion to a punt. The punt at the moment seemed chicken s to me.

I would’ve rather went for it personally but I don’t think it was a bad call. Had the defense not giving up another 3rd and 15 or whatever it was, we get the ball back with over two minutes and have a chance. I was very impressed with our defense all game and think it was of the best defensive performances since Josh Allen was destroying QBs. lol. Once again losing a game because we play 15 yards away from receivers and give up a big wide open first down should be a wake up call to maybe play a little tighter. Can’t have everything I suppose and I know they had to be tired but that was definitely time to buckle down and make a stop.

So close, had we won last weekend, we’d all be very happy and thinking about ten wins possibly. I’m still thinking we could get 6-7 and am definitely feeling better about the team. Hopefully we come out and get the offense some confidence next week that puts us back on track for the rest of this season. Thanks

Ohh, yeah I agree Defeeefence, I wouldn’t have cared one bit to let that young man go try that long kick. Who knows, hit it and you’re a genius and the kids is an instant superstar. Ha.

Nah you gotta control your own destiny at home in an upset bid against a more talented #1

No way the kid is making a 64 yarder in that situation.

O% chance.
0%? 🤣

He makes them in practice from that distance under rush so why would he not have a chance? Raynor made one earlier just 9 yards less in that same direction. Given the fact that the other two options were not exactly optimal, that might have made sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT