ADVERTISEMENT

One feeling I just don't have anymore.

I’ve never been a “we’re going to win every game” fan, even in 1996, 97, 98, 12 and 15 when we won almost every game. 2015 was the closest followed by 96.

Road games especially. Those are never a given. I also feel like that kind of unrealistic expectation is setting oneself up for major disappointment.

2012 and 2015 were about as close to that feeling. Those two groups were solid teams with hardly any weaknesses, aside from one person in particular. As this team was progressing, I never felt we were complete until BigZ made his debut, and I thought "WOW" here's that missing piece we've needed all season. I truly thought we'd be close to USC and eventually gain a small lead that they couldn't overcome, but never did I anticipate a 17 point blowout.

I never expect UK to lose, that’s just me, but deep down I know they won’t win every game. I do expect that a UK team will come out and battle from start to finish, and the coaching staff will have a gameplan and make adjustments as needed. I can live with losing games like at ATM, it was a back and forth game and the home team got hot. Last night was one of those loses where it takes the air out of the whole program- and there’s been far too many of those type of losses in the last few seasons.

Last edited:
I’ve never been a “we’re going to win every game” fan, even in 1996, 97, 98, 12 and 15 when we won almost every game. 2015 was the closest followed by 96.

Road games especially. Those are never a given. I also feel like that kind of unrealistic expectation is setting oneself up for major disappointment.
Have to keep in mind too that the SEC didn't care much about basketball until recently. It's a much tougher basketball conference top to bottom than it once was. It's become way more difficult to win on the road now.

That’s the thing Kentucky fans are just so accustomed to losses now. It shouldn’t be like that but it is. This is Kentucky Basketball you don’t lose by 17 on the road to an average USC team. You especially do not lose at home to UNCW. That gold standard is gone for this program, and idk how they get it back. Can they still make a run? Of course they can but they better pony up

Can’t win them all but we should expect to because to excuse this one is to excuse them all. Ukbb was built on high expectations. Cal has made the ground quicksand for our foundation. Let’s hope we get the right guy before it collapses. Barney has our programs as the laughingstock so he should be first to go. I mean our fb coach he over pays couldn’t get hired at a big time program because of the blowback that he wasn’t good enough. Time for Barney to go.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Can’t win them all but we should expect to because to excuse this one is to excuse them all. Ukbb was built on high expectations. Cal has made the ground quicksand for our foundation. Let’s hope we get the right guy before it collapses. Barney has our programs as the laughingstock so he should be first to go. I mean our fb coach he over pays couldn’t get hired at a big time program because of the blowback that he wasn’t good enough. Time for Barney to go.
Fire Barnhart and bring back Dwayne Peevy, that’s a first step in the right direction

Fire Barnhart and bring back Dwayne Peevy, that’s a first step in the right direction
DePaul fires HC Stubblefield.

Peevy was on the job after 12 years in Kentucky’s athletic department when he hired Stubblefield in April 2021 to replace the fired Dave Leitao as DePaul’s coach.

Now, another HC coaching search is under way.

Have to keep in mind too that the SEC didn't care much about basketball until recently. It's a much tougher basketball conference top to bottom than it once was. It's become way more difficult to win on the road now.
I am sorry but this is complete bullshit. I go back as far as the 75 team and we had a very tough conference. Yes, one or two patsy programs but otherwise Tenn, Alabama, LSU, Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas when they joined the conference, Florida, and on all had pro's. Ernie and Bernie show, Leon Douglas, 78, the Florida back to back national championships were all very competitive SEC races. So, if "Until recently" or don't count back beyond 50 plus years ago then yes maybe the SEC didn't have a competitive league with a number of champions come out.
The only excuses for losing at South Carolina the way we did was poor coaching and maybe Reed Shepard was sick (along with us fans).

I expect to lose games. anyone who doesnt at this point has mental issues and refuses to learn from reality going on around us.

his record against teams like USC or better the last 4 years is just on a level that is NEVER ACCEPTABLE here at UK.

The thing that has changed is that even though I expected to take a few losses on the road in the past, I KNEW it wouldn't be because we failed to play hard, make good decisions and fight till the very end. Now I feel like it's about 50/50 whether we get blown out or lose on a last second shot. But, I do expect to lose every road game in the SEC, with the exception of @Vandy and till now @USCjr.
UK no longer has the swagger to intimidate opponents before the opening tip.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
One day in 100 years there will be a statistic showing that of all college basketball fans, Kentucky fans were the most miserable, even after a win.

This isn't just a Cal phenomenon, I recall hearing people moan about Joe B, Sutton (deserved), Tubby, BCG (deserved), and of course, Cal (deserved). The one time I don't recall ANYONE ever moaning in misery about a UK loss was during the Pitino years. That dude had a way to fire up the teams even after a loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockfly78
One day in 100 years there will be a statistic showing that of all college basketball fans, Kentucky fans were the most miserable, even after a win.

This isn't just a Cal phenomenon, I recall hearing people moan about Joe B, Sutton (deserved), Tubby, BCG (deserved), and of course, Cal. The one time I don't recall ANYONE every moaning in misery about a UK loss was during the Pitino years. That dude had a way to fire up the teams even after a loss.
I’m 42 years old and every men’s basketball coach in my lifetime was hated by a large portion of this fanbase at some point.

I’ve only had that feeling 3 seasons, 96, 12, and 15

He certainly has Depaul Basketball rolling. LOL, the haters feel no need to make sense. Just any nonsensical BS take for their hatred of this program.

The really wild part is, he only hired Stubblefield because Kenny Payne turned him down! So he’s actually made TWO horrible choices.

Cal has slowly killed us… feel the same

Nope. Cal brought us back from the depths of obscurity and then got lazy. He didn't kill us. No matter what he will leave us better than he found us.

Hoping he has a final push left in the tank.

I’ve only had that feeling 3 seasons, 96, 12, and 15

For me it was '93, '96, '97, '12 and '17.

Probably also in '03 to an extent. '15 I just had a bad feeling. It is probably why the FF game doesn't haunt me....I was shocked we survived EE game.

Reactions: ruppcat
I felt that way in 2012 a lot more than in 2015. I had a bad feeling going into that 2015 tournament and I think the pressure of going undefeated was a huge anvil around that team's neck.
If we had lost that game to Ole Miss in Rupp it would have been great. Would have won the NCAA title.

The constant ignorance vomited out by you pathetic, butthurt, babies knows no limit. It takes about 30 seconds to pull up the UK mens basketball record, by year, and see that this whole thread is a fantasy. A fever dream of an alternate reality. We've lost games every year, with every coach. Y'all work yourselves into a lather based on lies you tell yourselves.
We are a top 10 team right now, with a high ceiling. Settle down .

The constant ignorance vomited out by you pathetic, butthurt, babies knows no limit. It takes about 30 seconds to pull up the UK mens basketball record, by year, and see that this whole thread is a fantasy. A fever dream of an alternate reality. We've lost games every year, with every coach. Y'all work yourselves into a lather based on lies you tell yourselves.
Every fan here knows losses happens. Even some bad losses that shouldn't. Bad nights happen. But, many here would argue that there's a big difference between simply losing to a better team or having an outlier bad night, and the reason why Cal's team sometimes lose. He's stubborn in his game planning, biased in his roster management, and arrogant when having to own any of it. If you think some of Cal's losses are the same as previous coaches' losses (other than Clyde) than I don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying 100%, but often.

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
I'm with you, FTP. But please allow me to rebut in my own way here, if I may ..... please.

thank you.

We're all Kentucky fans here, presumably. I can understand how there are times when you have lost the general feeling that Kentucky will win every game. As a general rule, I believe most every Kentucky fan thinks they are going to win, or a have a reasonably good chance to win, every game. Every time. Of course, we don't. But we have, more than any other fan of any other team, the feeling that our team is going to pull out a win each time we play a game.

it's because we have a legacy of greatness, we are Kentucky, we have won more than any other team that has taken the floor in college basketball.

It's natural, when there's some times of deep angst at the state of the program, for whatever reason, to have doubts. To think sure, Kentucky stands no chance to win this game tonight, right before tip off..... but you tell me the answer to this :

If this team makes it to the national championship game to play defending champion UConn, that you do not think we will win that game. right now.

of course you think we're going to win that game.

and if you don't, then maybe you should start to be a part of some other teams tradition and become a fan of them. Because I'll tell you, if this team gets THAT FAR, it doesn't matter - IT DOESN'T MATTER !!!! - who we play. We SHOULD THINK we're going to win the game.

It's unfortunate some people that follow this program can't have he confidence to still think that we can, and will, win or that we have a great chance to win, every single game. Because, here's an apparent newsflash :

WE CAN

even no matter if you deeply mistrust and distrust and have as little faith as I do in the current coach (ahem, yes, I am highly critical of Cal, but he's our coach, and I'm forced to ride with him, so I will) .....

even if !

We can still win each and every game on our schedule this year.

Can't win at Tennessee, you say ? Seems like I heard a lot of moaning and groaning and bitching and whining and butthurt hand wringing only LAST FREAKING YEAR about not standing a damned CHANCE at beating the Vols in hardknoxville......

how'd that work out for you ?

sad that we WON that game ?

I swear. some of you will NEVER EVER learn.

Will we win every game ? No. Can we ? Yes. In the end, if you have found that you have lost your confidence that Kentucky will win any particular game, just remind yourself that it's only in your mind. Sure, you can justify negative thinking in just about any way imaginable, but trying to justify thinking that Kentucky can't, or won't, win a game before it's even happened - in the game of basketball - is just plain insanity.

So get a grip ! Look in the mirror, get some kind of routine to pep yourself up.

or do like most of us "old timers" have learned to do over the ages :

for instance, I have myself a nice little pregame adult beverage of Woodford Reserve straight up, on the rocks and a side of good ole' coka coler ! ( here's to you, roy ! lol ) and enjoy the game, ugly or not, win or lose !!!!!

because we usually end up winning, as it always will be.

thank you for your time, and now, back to your regularly scheduled panty wringing !
:p

It's not a lie that we lose more games we should have won with Cal than any other coach except maybe Clyde.

It's not a lie that Cal has led us into a decline in the last 8 years.

It's not a lie that we have one NCAA tournament win since 2019.

It's not a lie that our coach sneers at the fans.

It's not a lie that our coach exercises favoritism and double standards in lineups, often to our team's collective detriment.

There's nothing "butthurt" about being concerned about the direction of the program, especially with a coach who doesn't put winning at the top of the priority list.

You should take your need for manufactured outrage and go protest an oil rig or something.

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
It's not a lie that we lose more games we should have won with Cal than any other coach except maybe Clyde.
- you can do better than this, Mike. C'mon now...

It's not a lie that Cal has led us into a decline in the last 8 years.
true, relative to where Kentucky has been
It's not a lie that we have one NCAA tournament win since 2019.
true, sad, but true
It's not a lie that our coach sneers at the fans.
has he actually sneered at us ? I'm not saying he hasn't, but I've never actually seen it. Seems a little harsh to me, just sayin'.
It's not a lie that our coach exercises favoritism and double standards in lineups, often to our team's collective detriment.

does seem like that

... so you make some good points
There's nothing "butthurt" about being concerned about the direction of the program, especially with a coach who doesn't put winning at the top of the priority list.

well said ! well done !
You should take your need for manufactured outrage and go protest an oil rig or something.
That might be a little harsh too, I think it would do better to try and realize the poster was trying to make a point more along the lines of how I wrote it, instead. If they didn't mean it more like that, then, well ... whatever.

the point is, we can not like the way the coach has been towards us and disagree with him. But we got him to run this ship, so you might as well swallow it, like me, and ride along. Until we get a new ad, it doesn't look like we have a choice.

and in the meantime, let's try to be a little more collectively civil, possibly even POSITIVE in the face of all the negativity might - JUST MIGHT - be a better salve for what ails us, instead of adding to negativity.

that's all I'm sayin, friend.

Cannot we all just ...

get along ?

:)

peace and harmony to Big Blue Nation, one and all

Nope. Cal brought us back from the depths of obscurity and then got lazy. He didn't kill us. No matter what he will leave us better than he found us.

Hoping he has a final push left in the tank.
I’m speaking of my enthusiasm. He has slowly killed my excitement… along with many others in the base.

true, relative to where Kentucky has been

true, sad, but true

has he actually sneered at us ? I'm not saying he hasn't, but I've never actually seen it. Seems a little harsh to me, just sayin'.

does seem like that

... so you make some good points

well said ! well done !

That might be a little harsh too, I think it would do better to try and realize the poster was trying to make a point more along the lines of how I wrote it, instead. If they didn't mean it more like that, then, well ... whatever.

the point is, we can not like the way the coach has been towards us and disagree with him. But we got him to run this ship, so you might as well swallow it, like me, and ride along. Until we get a new ad, it doesn't look like we have a choice.

and in the meantime, let's try to be a little more collectively civil, possibly even POSITIVE in the face of all the negativity might - JUST MIGHT - be a better salve for what ails us, instead of adding to negativity.

that's all I'm sayin, friend.

Cannot we all just ...

get along ?

:)

peace and harmony to Big Blue Nation, one and all
That poster is always coming in here telling everyone they're fake fans who make him sick. Check his post history.

College basketball and soon to be football it's not about the school anymore. The pride of going to any school is gone.

I am sorry but this is complete bullshit. I go back as far as the 75 team and we had a very tough conference. Yes, one or two patsy programs but otherwise Tenn, Alabama, LSU, Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas when they joined the conference, Florida, and on all had pro's. Ernie and Bernie show, Leon Douglas, 78, the Florida back to back national championships were all very competitive SEC races. So, if "Until recently" or don't count back beyond 50 plus years ago then yes maybe the SEC didn't have a competitive league with a number of champions come out.
The only excuses for losing at South Carolina the way we did was poor coaching and maybe Reed Shepard was sick (along with us fans).
Arkansas didn’t join the SEC until 1992. Tennessee was good because of Ray Mears who coached UT beginning in 1962. He was the first “real” SEC coach, plus he tied Rupp head to head.

I think UT was likely the only constant tough team in the 1960s and 70s. Everyone else was spotty in success against UK. The SEC was pretty much a rec league for decades under Rupp.

That poster is always coming in here telling everyone they're fake fans who make him sick. Check his post history.
please do, OPEN FOR ANYONE TO GO BACK AND CHECK AND SEE.

I've never said that one single time Mike D.
But I'll make an exception or you.

not that you make me sick, but THAT ...

YOU are sick

/IGNORE

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT