ADVERTISEMENT

One basketball Mother’s opinion if I had a son like Reed….

MomHogan

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
If my family was financially comfortable or secure, I would highly encourage my son to stay in college and play for the same school his dad and I played at. Go ahead and strive for a national championship - for most people, that’s ultimately far more meaningful and enjoyable than playing in the NBA (likely on a bad team) for a few years.

Other things I’d ask my son to consider:

- Continuing a family legacy is far more rewarding than playing an 80+ game NBA schedule where most of your teammates are several years older than you.

- Compare that with a <40 game college game schedule. Playing double the games really takes a toll on your body.

- True friends and real teammates are much harder to come by in the NBA.

- The higher you get drafted, the more likely you end up on a bad team. (See Tim Couch)

- Stay in Kentucky and go after your childhood dream and legacies related to your home state university. You will be loved forever and you will never be without work or friends for the rest of your life. You can inspire so many children in this state. Join with Mark Pope and let’s get Kentucky basketball back to being fun again and in our hearts forever.

- I stayed up late to watch games, I listened to Cawood and I kept my own box score.

- BBN and boosters will make sure NIL works to your son’s advantage and others where it is appropriate. Another year or two might help to get drafted on a better NBA team

- Your loved ones still live close by and they can get to see more of your games. Priceless.

- You can enjoy your early adulthood more by being around others your own age.

- These are just some of the things to think about as you decide. Now that I’m older, I know which path I would have chosen. I’d give myself every moment possible to hold on to my youthful adulthood - money, 80+basketball game schedules, the grind of the travel schedule, and all of those types of things can wait.

- You get one shot at a legacy - especially one you can share with your family! And the memories will last your lifetime.

Think it over and make the best decision for you and your family - then find peace in your heart. You will always be in our hearts! ❤️

Last edited:
If I were Reed, I'd probably just stay through at least my junior year. And I might even do all 4 years and graduate before moving on. It isn't like the guy is so poor he's gonna have to live on Ramen Noodles while he remains in Lexington. I have no idea what sort of NIL money he brings in, but I'd guess he stands to earn at the very minimum $1 million for every season he remains at UK, and probably closer to $2 million in reality. He's the most popular player on a team with the largest and most passionate fan base in college basketball. So he's gonna make some serious bank. With that kind of money, I'd take out an insurance policy worth about $15 to $20 million just in case I received some sort of injury that ended my career. Then I'd enjoy my time in college and living the dream I grew up with.

Every kid that grows up in this state dreams about someday playing basketball at UK. Kentucky kids don't grow up dreaming about the NBA. The NBA is merely a job, albeit it a good paying one. But I have zero enthusiasm about the NBA. I would much rather be at UK a few years earning a couple mil each season and enjoying life than going pro at such a young age. I know not everyone feels this way. But I also know I can't be the only one. The situation today is vastly different than 10 years ago. College athletes that are really good and marketable can earn a really nice paycheck. So it is no longer a clear cut case of feast (NBA) or famine (NCAA). NIL gives the kids who actually enjoy the college experience a new option they never had before.

Yeah and if he gets hurt it all goes away. Strike while the iron is hot and go to the league.
There's ways to mitigate that risk. With what he's earning in NIL, he can afford an insurance policy that will pay him what an NBA career would should he suffer a career ending injury. In the days before major NIL deals, options like this may not have been feasible for kids from poor families. But today it is. So Reed isn't in a situation where he has to strike while the iron is hot. He has options. And all of them are good.

If my family was financially comfortable or secure, I would highly encourage my son to stay in college and play for the same school his dad and I played at. Go ahead and strive for a national championship - for most people, that’s ultimately far more meaningful and enjoyable than playing in the NBA (likely on a bad team) for a few years.

- Continuing a family legacy is far more rewarding than playing an 80+ game NBA schedule where most of your teammates are several years older than you.

- Compare that with a <40 game college game schedule. Playing double the games really takes a toll on your body.

- The higher you get drafted, the more likely you end up on a bad team. (See Tim Couch)

- Stay in Kentucky and go after your childhood dream and legacies related to your home state university. You will be loved forever and you will never be without work or friends for the rest of your life. You can inspire so many children in this state. Join with Mark Pope and let’s get Kentucky basketball back to being fun again and in our hearts forever.

- I stayed up late to watch games, I listened to Cawood and I kept my own box score.

- BBN and boosters will make sure NIL works to your son’s advantage and others where it is appropriate. Another year or two might help to get drafted on a better NBA team

- Your loved ones still live close by and they can get to see more of your games. Priceless.

- These are just some of the things to think about as you decide. Now that I’m older, I know which path I would have chosen. I’d give myself every moment possible to hold on to my youthful adulthood - money, 80+basketball game schedules, the grind of the travel schedule, and all of those types of things can wait.

- You get one shot at a legacy - especially one you can share with your family! And the memories will last your lifetime.

Think it over and make the best decision for you and your family - then find peace in your heart. You will always be in our hearts! ❤️
You made some excellent points .

Reactions: KFuqua
Really comes down to what his dreams were. If he has dreamt of playing in the NBA, he will go. Me personally, I would stay and be a rockstar for another year at minimum. Not sure their is a bigger stage or more meaningful place to be than Rupp arena for anyone that grows up as a UK fan. I’m certain he is doing his due diligence and is all over the place with his thoughts and emotions.

Dad won a championship and he lost in the first round might play a bigger role in the decision than some think. I was always ultra competitive and there’s no way that I could leave with zero tournament wins after trying to carry on my dad and mom’s prestigious legacy.

I absolutely love Reed and the Shepherds and will support him with whatever he decides.

Option one: go pro now and make an extra $10 million in career earnings.

Option two: stay one extra year, still make $100 to $200 million in career earnings, but if you stay you go on to become perhaps the most popular person in an entire state, for the rest of your life.

Is the extra $10 million worth missing out on the latter? Maybe. Only Reed knows.

Great post

Reactions: Girthang and KFuqua
Really comes down to what his dreams were. If he has dreamt of playing in the NBA, he will go. Me personally, I would stay and be a rockstar for another year at minimum. Not sure their is a bigger stage or more meaningful place to be than Rupp arena for anyone that grows up as a UK fan. I’m certain he is doing his due diligence and is all over the place with his thoughts and emotions.
What if his dream is a Final Four and a playing in the NBA? Why must they be mutually exclusive?

He can have it all if he wants it, and he can still be set for life financially in the case where he stays at UK for an extra year or two.

Reactions: NociHTTP and KFuqua
It's a lot easier to say what you "would" do when you'll never realistically be in the situation to ever worry about it.

Any one of us, if presented with this dilemma, would take the guarantee of $25 - $30 million for 4 years over the possibility of making around a million or so for returning to college for a year.

Way too many unknown variables to put that at risk.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of the points the OP made. I've been saying for weeks/months, that it shouldn't be assumed he will leave (or stay).

As a parent of a college student, a COVID one (those who FR year was spent at home because dorms were closed), whom I still feel bad that he did not get that "college experience" of living on campus (since as a Soph he got an apartment w/ friends). I think there is a lot of value in that, a lot of "growing up" that takes place in college.
Also, while there is a lot of pressure and responsibility heaped on these college athletes, there is even more once you become a professional. So there is no need to rush that on a kid. To start "adulting", paying bills, managing your time, etc... Also for a kid from a small rural town, Lexington is a good middle step before moving to a much larger city, which can be overwhelming with lots of "distractions". You have kids who spend every day of their life with family, then go to college where there are still people (teammates & coaches) looking out for them and becoming their extended family. But then when they go to play professionally, there is NO ONE their in that new city looking out for them. So as a parent, I would like the idea of having that 2nd year in school and getting more used to being away from home and family.
Unlike many (not all) future pro-athletes, Reed is not expected to raise his family out of generational poverty, thus reducing the rush to "cash in". But also he can partially cash-in with NIL. NIL can't replace his rookie NBA salary, probably not even close. But 500K or 1M is a boat-load of cash for a "kid" (it probably feels like 10M).
Also there are lots of examples of very good players who don't make it in the league, who have injuries once there, and then go into other professions after their career ends (like w/ Jeff and Mark). So being a year closer to having a degree may have some value too. Because once you leave school, the longer you are away the harder and less likely it ever is to go back.

Lastly, as a parent you want your child to succeed in the future. While you don't want them to miss out on an opportunity, you also don't want them to hurt their chances of success by "going for it" too soon.
Reed is a highly skilled, high IQ, basketball player, with not overwhelming but solid athletic ability. But he's not the quickest player, and not that strong either. Rob D can get away with not being strong due to his extreme quickness/speed. And quickness/speed while can be improved some, is more difficult to improve than strength and has more of a ceiling. So there is a good chance Reed needs to get much stronger before playing vs grown men who don't want this kid taking their job and paychecks. That could delay his development, resulting in a lower 2nd contract than he might get if he were stronger and a better defender when he enters the league.

So I don't think all of this is enough to say Reed "should" return, but I think it is enough to say he might return, there are other considerations than "get the big money as fast as you can".

If he was my son, I'd advise him to leave.

Half the reasons listed aren't really valid considerations.
I would advise Reed to leave, also.
To me, it’s a no-brainer. Go get the $$$ !!!
The “pressure” on him next year to outperform his fabulous Freshman year would be enormous, far greater than what he may have felt in the last 2 games.
He will be much more of a focus by every team we play … the hunted, versus the hunter.

Last edited:
Yeah and if he gets hurt it all goes away. Strike while the iron is hot and go to the league.
Unfortunately I agree with that. You can't turn down the lottery. You can always come back and get the degree. He will be a fan favorite whether he goes or stays

Arguments can be made both ways, but kids suffering career ending injuries because they chose to come back to college are pretty darn rare in basketball.

Reactions: KFuqua
That only covers about 50-60% of loss.
It can also take years to collect as insurance settlements often go into an annuity and are paid out over long periods of time.

And insurance claims and settlements are very rarely straightforward or easy. They will look for any reason to pay out as little as possible and are willing to go to mediation/litigation if it saves them in the long run.

Reactions: 1war
Hopefully Reed will be careful between now and the NBA draft...like if he goes camping or something. I've heard that the Greys are looking for some players to fill their 'ABA' rosters...
iu

Some very excellent points and great advice for a teenager facing such a massive life decision.

However, I feel like much of this is being portrayed through a Kentucky-tinted filter. I know it's hard to try and remove all bias, but if you could I would wager that a lot of these advice points would be stricken from the list. :)

It’s a tough decision for the kid. If he stays, I’ll be shocked..happy but shocked.

The injury thing doesn’t really come into play for me when it comes to money. It’s his draft status that that is the big one. There is a possibility that he could come back, have a really good year, and his draft stock still take a hit. If he was to drop 10 spots from 5th to 15th as an example, not only are you leaving about $6.8 million on the table this year, but you’re also losing about $15 million over the course of his contract. Making a decision that could leave $21.8 million on the table in the next 5 years is very risky.

Now, he could also stay in the same spot or move up….its a risk/reward thing.

Either way, I love watching him play and don’t want to be on his shoes as far as a making a decision.

Great post! But prepare for a lot of negative comments. I posted something along these lines and got so many replies from people who think that everyone on earth is just money driven and that nothing else matters! I like to think that Reed has discussed this with his parents and will come to the best decision for him. There are so many positives for staying at Kentucky and enjoying his life as a college student and a star for UK Basketball. The only reason anyone has for going pro now is money and even though it's cliche....money really doesn't buy everything. He may choose to just be another one and done that Cal spit out, but I'm hoping the decides to come back to Kentucky and become a Kentucky legend.

Well written from a mothers heart.

Reactions: Girthang and KFuqua
And if he gets hurt in his rookie year and his career is ended, he's going to regret that decision for the remainder of his life.
Whether he gets hurt in college or the NBA, he would regret getting hurt in college more because he never got a chance to live his dream of playing in the NBA.

$26,000,000 over three years is tough to turn down.--Not to mention being the next John Stockton at the end of that three years.

Reactions: Catzman
It would suck to end your college career like Reed did but he achieved his dream of playing for Kentucky regardless of how the tournament went. His dad never had a chance to be drafted and wasn't drafted. He played 18 games in the NBA.

Reed is a top five pick. That is like winning the lottery. Think about that for a second- the kid from North Laurel is an NBA Lottery Pick. Who thought that was remotely possible?

If he's torn, I'd have him go pro, work hard, get that huge 2nd contract, and then donate big time to the NIL.

Very nice post, and some of these are very valid points and conclusions. I personally quit a six-figure, corporate job to write fiction books (laughable, right?). At first it was an uphill climb, making about half what I was making before, but in the next few years, I'll be right back where I was and with far more control over my life than I could have ever dreamed. So, it worked out great.

I also don't have children, so that made the decision much easier for me. If I were a father, or thinking about becoming a father, my first priority would be to my immediate (and future) family to secure them the best possible outcome I could. If Reed plans on having a family, I would advise him to take the most possible money as fast as he can make it because he can always come back and do great things in KY later. I come from modest means, so maybe it's different for him.

I hope he stays, but I wouldn't advise it.

Reactions: ThunderCat98

Why? Maybe that was once true, but I don’t think it is it is anymore.

There’s actually now more roster turnover in college basketball than the NBA (especially at UK) in this transfer portal/NIL era where essentially everybody is a free agent every year. Having a whole new set of teammates each year ain’t exactly conducive to forming long-term bonds.

Reactions: thedahc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT