ADVERTISEMENT

OK, I get it, Allen can't play defense,

HA, I was in Allens camp but he's just a very average college shooter, nothing more. And as far as the other's they are way below average and some of these players are just going to be G league players and gone when they next batch comes through.

And to guy referencing Steph Curry to Allen....what an insult to Curry.

People wanted so badly to think this kid was a sharpshooter.........a Booker, a Lamb.

He is more than likely an above average shooter........on a team that needs shooting so there's definitely mins available for him and he can be useful for us for years to come.

But this notion that Cal was playing Boston more because he was 5 star.......well no. Boston has the talent on this team and if this team has to be good, he has to be a main focal point. Allen is a useful role player.

Reactions: bkingUK
People wanted so badly to think this kid was a sharpshooter.........a Booker, a Lamb.

He is more than likely an above average shooter........on a team that needs shooting so there's definitely mins available for him and he can be useful for us for years to come.

But this notion that Cal was playing Boston more because he was 5 star.......well no. Boston has the talent on this team and if this team has to be good, he has to be a main focal point. Allen is a useful role player.
I have yet to see all this talent from Boston that you speak of.

Allen is weak defensively but the biggest problem for him, in my opinion is he’s generally soft. Just like lacking defense many on the team are soft but Allen is very timid AND soft. He needs confidence in a big way. Either he needs confidence or he just timid and lazy. I’d like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Allen is weak defensively but the biggest problem for him, in my opinion is he’s generally soft. Just like lacking defense many on the team are soft but Allen is very timid AND soft. He needs confidence in a big way. Either he needs confidence or he just timid and lazy. I’d like to give him the benefit of the doubt.
None of these players play with confidence.Even Sarr who played so well in a tough league.Makes me wonder if the problem is the coach.

Reactions: susan2361
None of these players play with confidence.Even Sarr who played so well in a tough league.Makes me wonder if the problem is the coach.

Maybe but sometimes lack of confidence comes from weak team leadership. Every coach needs a player coach. Not sure any of them fit that, including Sarr and he should be the guy.

I have yet to see all this talent from Boston that you speak of.

Yep. We haven't seen it yet unfortunately.

I think we saw some signs last night. I just think with freshman sometimes it takes a bit to get going with all of this. Teague wasn't good in 2012. The fact that the team was so good tho masked it until he got better. SGA didn't get it right off the bat either. We didn't get full PJ Washington until the middle of the second year.

And I think that all goes back to Cal continuing to give minutes to these players. Because in theory, there's a reason why Boston was rated so highly. Now he could be a total bust but I think it's only natural for coaches not just Cal to stink with these guys until they breakthrough.

Unfortunately with this season we really didn't have the time.

Maybe but sometimes lack of confidence comes from weak team leadership. Every coach needs a player coach. Not sure any of them fit that, including Sarr and he should be the guy.
That's the problem with the way Cal does things.You just can't have brand new teams and expect newcomers to lead the team.Sarr and Mintz are seniors but are still new to the team and just learning how Cal wants things done.If Cal doesn't return more next season it will be rinse and repeat.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Yep. We haven't seen it yet unfortunately.

I think we saw some signs last night. I just think with freshman sometimes it takes a bit to get going with all of this. Teague wasn't good in 2012. The fact that the team was so good tho masked it until he got better. SGA didn't get it right off the bat either. We didn't get full PJ Washington until the middle of the second year.

And I think that all goes back to Cal continuing to give minutes to these players. Because in theory, there's a reason why Boston was rated so highly. Now he could be a total bust but I think it's only natural for coaches not just Cal to stink with these guys until they breakthrough.

Unfortunately with this season we really didn't have the time.
Sometimes you have to think about winning some games.Cal finally saw the truth about Whitney and benched him and even Flint benched Boston.Cal's favortism with Boston has gone way overboard and I just hope it doesn't lead to transfers.

Stop it
Allen can't shoot. Period! 1 game doesn't make a person a shooter.

I defended him, till now. Cal is in his head so bad he can't walk with out tripping.
He’s 45% from 3 to say he cannot shoot on this team of brick layers is simply not true

All of it is just on the basis of small samples.

The 11 of 19 in one three game stretch and the 4 of 13 in the next three game stretch.

When it's all said and done he'll probably be a slightly above average three point shooter. 36-38% IMO.

Bingo....this nails it. Allen is a horrendous defender and mediocre offensive player. He is a great shooter but can't create his own shot, can't beat a guy off the dribble so it has to be a wide open setup three.

I like Allen but if he wasn't from Kentucky people here would not be clamoring for him to being playing.

Allen is not horrendous...……..horrendous is Askew get blitzed by that little guard the other night. Allen is no worse than Boston, Clarke or Brooks. As far as his shooting, any decent offensive coach would design plays to get the kid an open shot. They run plays for Boston & he can't create his own shot. It all boils down to coaching or lack there of

If there wasn't a Ky kid on the team, no one would even watch this bunch of wantabe's & that includes this over paid staff

Reactions: crestcat
Allen is not horrendous...……..horrendous is Askew get blitzed by that little guard the other night. Allen is no worse than Boston, Clarke or Brooks. As far as his shooting, any decent offensive coach would design plays to get the kid an open shot. They run plays for Boston & he can't create his own shot. It all boils down to coaching or lack there of

If there wasn't a Ky kid on the team, no one would even watch this bunch of wantabe's & that includes this over paid staff

Don't let facts get in your way...he is a terrible defender. His D rating is worst on the team (except Clarke which is skewed by the limited number of games played)

Allen has the worst D rating of any player since Quade Green in 2017.

Last edited:
All of it is just on the basis of small samples.

The 11 of 19 in one three game stretch and the 4 of 13 in the next three game stretch.

When it's all said and done he'll probably be a slightly above average three point shooter. 36-38% IMO.
Which under Cal is still very good.

Put aside he's a Ky kid, how many other perceived 3 pt shooters have the Rupp's Rafters posters implored Cal to play?

Don't let facts get in your way...he is a terrible defender. His D rating is worst on the team (except Clarke which is skewed by the limited number of games played)

Allen has the worst D rating of any player since Quade Green in 2017.

Allen is no defensive stopper that's for sure. But if go back and watch the Georgia game while in man defense he gave up exactly two points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT