ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating Question: Follow the Rules, OR, Get the Call Right

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
There was a play last night leading to the use of instant replay in the Red Sox / Astros game, that brings about a question that would be applicable to all sports including college basketball.

The play was a ball was hit straight down, and bounced up and landed on the batters arm (while he was in the batters box) and then it fell to the ground in fair play where the catcher picked it up and tagged the runner. The plate umpire called the runner out. By rules if a foul ball touches anyone (batter, runner, fielder) in foul territory then it is a foul/dead ball. Umpire didn't see it hit the batter, which is why he called him out. There is some part of the MLB instant replay rules which makes that not a reviewable play. But they did review it, and reverse the call (to foul/dead ball).

So which is more important (to you), to get the call right, or to follow the rules precisely (even if they don't allow you to get the call right)?

There was a play last night leading to the use of instant replay in the Red Sox / Astros game, that brings about a question that would be applicable to all sports including college basketball.

The play was a ball was hit straight down, and bounced up and landed on the batters arm (while he was in the batters box) and then it fell to the ground in fair play where the catcher picked it up and tagged the runner. The plate umpire called the runner out. By rules if a foul ball touches anyone (batter, runner, fielder) in foul territory then it is a foul/dead ball. Umpire didn't see it hit the batter, which is why he called him out. There is some part of the MLB instant replay rules which makes that not a reviewable play. But they did review it, and reverse the call (to foul/dead ball).

So which is more important (to you), to get the call right, or to follow the rules precisely (even if they don't allow you to get the call right)?

Apply whatever standard that screws uk

Apply whatever standard that screws uk
And then change the rule so shot-clock violations can be reviewed. You know, not like it cost us a championship chance or anything.

EDIT: In case I wasn't clear, if its an obvious non-judgement call made in error, then it should be able to be overturned/reversed. The rules should allow for this, but it still would have been the right thing to do to not count that Wisconsin bucket......................... still chapped!

Last edited:
I used to like the idea of the review, but at this point I have seen it make so many games unwatchable that I'm not so sure anymore. If it could be done in a manner that doesn't make the game move like molasses, I would be all for reviews. But, so far I have seen more cons than pros.

On another, related, note, has anyone else begun to think that we are tampering with the rules a little too much. I have seen games effected in both football, and basketball, because of rule changes. At some point, maybe we need to just leave the game alone.

Be consistent...

The problem always is foul on one side and not on another .

Most players seem to complain about that.

if he was in the box I would think he is in fare territory because if he were sliding in to home he would be safe sliding though the same space.

And then change the rule so shot-clock violations can be reviewed. You know, not like it cost us a championship chance or anything.

EDIT: In case I wasn't clear, if its an obvious non-judgement call made in error, then it should be able to be overturned/reversed. The rules should allow for this, but it still would have been the right thing to do to not count that Wisconsin bucket......................... still chapped!
I am still chapped about that also, but at the time that was not review able except in the last 2 minutes, and IMSMC there were about 2:30 left, therefore not review able. I think that has changed to a now review able case.

Having depth in college basketball is almost pointless except for foul trouble. There are so many tv timeouts, breaks, etc., that highly conditioned 18-20 year olds could play at 100% the entire game without any trouble.

While I hate the thought of a bad call against us, I like to think that they average out over the course of a game. I say get hold refs more accountable for bad calls so that there is motivation to get it right and not have any bias to a coach or team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT