ADVERTISEMENT

Official Fire Coach Cal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cal is exactly in the same spot Tubby was once he got his fat contract...mailing it in and living of the rep of UK.

Problem is Tubby was a decent bench coach and got fat metaphorically, while Cal is a lousy bench coach and looks like Fat Bastard waddling around with no coat, tie and his dress shirt pulled out like a slob.

Tubby never shit the bed quite like this. 💩

fat-cow.jpg
Tubby could coach but couldn’t recruit. Cal can recruit but can’t coach. KP did the coaching and that is very apparent now.

I’m pissed off. Aggravated. Disgusted. Embarrassed. But this is a little too much. He has been a hell of a coach. Can’t say that after a few shitty games.

He gets paid the big bucks to get things right. This is his job. Not a birthright. I do agree something needs to happen but wanting him fired it’s not the right answer. What coach would come here knowing that a Hall of Fame coach who has been to Multiple final fours, multiple elite 8’s etc. would get fired for one bad year.
Cal hasn't been good in 5 years. Deal with it!

Ok all you expert ADs, you walk in and fire Cal first thing Monday morning. What’s your explanation to your boss on why and who you’ve got coming in to take over? It had better be a big time hire. One the fans and more importantly the boosters can get excited about. Like Izzo, Stevens, Donovan.

We are all miserable watching this team. We are all fed up with the constant revolving door of the One and Done. We all can see the coaching deficiencies of John Calipari. We are all tired of the biggest night of the basketball season being draft night. We can see the decline in our team since we lost Coach Payne and I think it’s obvious that he was the most important person on our coaching staff in developing these young kids. Let’s see how big we can make this thread in support of moving away from Coach Cal and starting fresh at the University of Kentucky.
Oh great another stupid post, yep that's what we need

absolutely, but you aren't going to fire a national title winning coach mid season.

its just not happening.
We can’t fire him, PERIOD, much less “mid-season.” Y’all are wasting your time discussing something that realistically can’t happen.

We are all miserable watching this team. We are all fed up with the constant revolving door of the One and Done. We all can see the coaching deficiencies of John Calipari. We are all tired of the biggest night of the basketball season being draft night. We can see the decline in our team since we lost Coach Payne and I think it’s obvious that he was the most important person on our coaching staff in developing these young kids. Let’s see how big we can make this thread in support of moving away from Coach Cal and starting fresh at the University of Kentucky.

Absolutely not. Insane recommendation.

We can’t fire him, PERIOD, much less “mid-season.” Y’all are wasting your time discussing something that realistically can’t happen.
I believe it can absolutely happen - just not the way people tend to think with the contract and not until the end of the season - if the administration wants it to happen. I also don't believe there will be this massive payout people think.

But I do think its unlikely at the moment. The season will have to get so bad that Cal doesn't even want to leave his house before changes happen.

Reactions: ukgrad2004
I’m pissed off. Aggravated. Disgusted. Embarrassed. But this is a little too much. He has been a hell of a coach. Can’t say that after a few shitty games.

He gets paid the big bucks to get things right. This is his job. Not a birthright. I do agree something needs to happen but wanting him fired it’s not the right answer. What coach would come here knowing that a Hall of Fame coach who has been to Multiple final fours, multiple elite 8’s etc. would get fired for one bad year.

This is me. The product is unwatchable. The losses are unacceptable. The roster composition is questionable. The offensive strategy is impotent.

But Cal has earned the right to fix it. If next season turns into the same thing as this one, it would be best for the two parties to mutually part ways to avoid the absolute nuclear meltdown this fanbase will have.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
Then could you please explain how?
well it starts with Mitch making changes that Cal has to adhere to

and contrary to the common narrative, Cal answers to Mitch and his contract says so.

I think you could realistically see him retire or step down. If he does have a problem with Kentucky and finds himself at odds with the fanbase, I dont see him sticking around. Yeah he has that $10 million salary. But next year doesn't look much better in terms of our team and I dont think even he wants to get blasted for months on when, while losing games and not adding players on draft night

A coach that likes pressure.

I can't support firing a coach mid season.

I'm as frustrated with him as anyone but you don't do that.

Cal has earned the right to return next year in an attempt to fix it

However if he takes the program to new lows, if he comes back and under performs, it will be the most miserable 9 months of his life - especially with fans - who will be buying tickets just to boo him

Tanked, I don't know about you, but I don't like the direction of this program the last 5 years. I don't think Cal or anyone else has earned the right to return to a program when it is this bad. He is getting paid a lot of money to produce, and he isn't. I know he will be back, but the game has passed him by. If you look at Cal's past, he has to have good guards, who can shoot and lead the team. He is just going with athletic, long guards, and doesn't care if they can shoot or not. He just wants them to dribble and drive to the basket. Show the NBA what you can do.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

So go pull for u6. They’re 6-1.
U6 is 6-1 gopull for them and quit whining.
mdlUK, you must like losing. Most of us on here are WINNERS, and we can tell the LOSERS, because their satisfied with LOSING, just as long as they can kiss Cal's butt, and bad-mouth WINNERS, who hate losing. I sure in Hell would not want you for my Wingman, or even in my formation.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: SmedMoley
Tanked, I don't know about you, but I don't like the direction of this program the last 5 years. I don't think Cal or anyone else has earned the right to return to a program when it is this bad. He is getting paid a lot of money to produce, and he isn't. I know he will be back, but the game has passed him by. If you look at Cal's past, he has to have good guards, who can shoot and lead the team. He is just going with athletic, long guards, and doesn't care if they can shoot or not. He just wants them to dribble and drive to the basket. Show the NBA what you can do.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
I happen to believe that Cal has earned the right to come back next year. I also reserve the right to change my mind should he continue the path he is on and we still have single digit wins say 5 weeks from now.

doesn't mean I think he will turn it around, if Cal has no interest in developing multi-year players and move away from trying to fill up an entire roster with supposedly talented freshmen, then he will not improve and the fanbase will make Cal and Mitch miserable to the point they don't want to leave their house.

What has to concern Mitch at the moment is the damage being done to the program by Cal not able or more likely willing to change from what he believes.

Mitch is going to have to address the fanbase at some point giving the dreaded "vote of confidence" to Cal which is code for he's done enough to justify changing course, but I won't jeopardize any future hiring by doing anything rash.

No program anywhere, EVER would even consider paying off a $60 million buyout.
Whether I agree with the sentiment that Calipari has worn out his welcome at UK or not, this thread is a exercise in futility. With $60 mil on the line, he stays as long as he wants.

He will not get 60 Million. The amount would be decided in court, and it would NOT be over 20 Million, at the most. Probably a lot less.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I’m not on the fire Cal train yet. He’s been playing with fire for a few years since he stopped getting Top 5 talent. Luckily we’ve had some 4 star guys like Herro and SGA who were extremely underrated ease that. It was bound to happen eventually which is why I don’t like the 1 and Done model without experience mixed in.

I’ll sit back, have some Makers and hope for change. If we have another mass exodus after a bad year though I’ll be all aboard.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
Cal demanding his buyout after running the program off a cliff will ruin his public reputation.

our time would be better spent trying to figure out how to get the NCAA to slap Kansas down and take away 30 of their wins (or more)

absolutely, but you aren't going to fire a national title winning coach mid season.

its just not happening.
Again we just ask him to step away from the program for a couple of months to reassess. A la Cameron Fletcher. We continue to pay him and we let one of the assistants finish out the year. I wish we still had KP but obviously that ship has sailed. At least Cal would understand his place in the pecking order. Unfortunately when you pay a guy as much as he makes and he’s got a Golden parachute as big as he does you really have no leverage. Heck he prolly is hoping we fire him. He’s probably looking a Malzahn sitting at home collecting his 23 million and thinks that would be a pretty solid gig.

I'm sorry guys. I know I'm old school. I am old enough to be most of your all's father. I've been a UK basketball fan my whole life. I graduated from UK and have seen the good and the bad. In forty years of following UK I can never remember a coach openly saying UK basketball is not about wins and losses and not about championships. I long for the days when kids wanted to come to UK and one day graduate. Do you guys even remember a senior night? I miss seeing these kids develop and play for history, not just for themselves.

I'm sorry guys. I know I'm old school. I am old enough to be most of your all's father. I've been a UK basketball fan my whole life. I graduated from UK and have seen the good and the bad. In forty years of following UK I can never remember a coach openly saying UK basketball is not about wins and losses and not about championships. I long for the days when kids wanted to come to UK and one day graduate. Do you guys even remember a senior night? I miss seeing these kids develop and play for history, not just for themselves.
My thoughts exactly!!! I’m afraid that day may never come again. Very sad. Nothing like seeing Chuck Hayes with tears rolling down his cheeks on senior night. I long for the days. Just like everyone else I begged for better recruiting classes... finally got what I wished for and now I realize how wrong I was.

Reactions: deep3 and susan2361
We can’t afford to fire him even if we wanted to. Mitch surrendered the right to fire Cal when he gave him that lifetime extension.
Absolutely, and I can't understand why the majority of the fan base is missing this fact.

Absolutely, and I can't understand why the majority of the fan base is missing this fact.
Doesn’t mean we can’t make our opinion known about the direction of this program. I am well aware that Cal is not getting fired but I want him to know I’m not a fan of his coaching or his methodology anymore and I don’t believe we are the Gold standard anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT