ADVERTISEMENT

***** Official Arkansas Vs Kentucky Game Thread *****

I forgot what idiot said this but someone said after Cats lost to South Carolina......"We will see if the Cats are in the top 25 still after this week"

Oh ya now I remember who it was Jon Rothstein.

Even if we lost today they would drop from 6 to below 25 ?

Did you not watch any of the first half or any of the last game. Shep has a history of simply passing up wide open shots. Early in the second half, he passed the ball to one of our 7-footers behind the 3 mark with 2 seconds on the clock. I know that you have seen plenty of my posts supporting Shep, but the past few games have just been hard to watch Reed. I know he has the talent, but unused talent isn't worth a good crap.
When he came off the screen and was double teamed with the guard and the big hedged it, surrounding him at the top? There are plenty of examples of him passing up a shot, this isn’t one to use to illustrate it. lol

Reactions: teli and catben
Shep hasn't earned the right to be the starting anything. Yes, he played well today after it was obvious that if he didn't no one else would.
While he isn't perfect, we play so much better with Reed in control. He was terrible driving today, but we won because of his passing late game.

Reactions: teli and catben
At South Carolina he would get yanked continually.
I got yanked because everyone else whose name isn't Edwards were playing better. If Shep plays the rest of the season the way he did the last half of the second half, I am certain that he will get all the playing time that he wants.

While he isn't perfect, we play so much better with Reed in control. He was terrible driving today, but we won because of his passing late game.
You are correct, but if he isn't going to shoot when no one else is able to make a shot, he isn't doing what is needed at the time. I don't want anyone on the court under 7-foot or who is name Edwards afraid to shoot.

I got yanked because everyone else whose name isn't Edwards were playing better. If Shep plays the rest of the season the way he did the last half of the second half, I am certain that he will get all the playing time that he wants.
To me it showed more than anything that Shepard should be main intiator of the offense and have Wagner off ball

To me it showed more than anything that Shepard should be main intiator of the offense and have Wagner off ball
There is no doubt that he runs the offense better than DJ when DJ isn't able to beat his man off the dribble. However, he has to be willing to take those wide-open shots that he has been running from.

Reactions: JFCats22
If Shep is going to run the point DJ playing off the ball is useless. Teams have figured out he can only drive left. DJ should be on the bench and play Shep at the point with Reeves and Dillingham. Then sub DJ in as needed. But no way Cal will do this. He’s about keeping promises and personal relationships over winning.

Reactions: teli and CatPhight
That first half was rough. We’ve definitely got work to do in our half court offense because right now it largely seems like we don’t have a backup plan when we can’t get out in transition and just resort to a bunch of low percentage one-on-one stuff too often.

I will say the second half had some bright spots though. We did show some toughness to gut out a game like that and might have found something with the Sheppard/Wagner/Reeves/Mitchell/Onyenso lineup down the stretch. A lot of season to go, so hopefully we can learn something from this and keep improving going forward.

Reactions: Fox2monk
If we can't turn a game into a track meet, we have a very difficult time winning. It is simply sickening to me watching the number of rebounds that we get after the ball has hit the floor. I have never seen anything like it.

Reactions: Fox2monk
If Shep is going to run the point DJ playing off the ball is useless. Teams have figured out he can only drive left. DJ should be on the bench and play Shep at the point with Reeves and Dillingham. Then sub DJ in as needed. But no way Cal will do this. He’s about keeping promises and personal relationships over winning.
110% guaranteed!

He has buried players on the bench for far less than Edwards play...

Ray Charles from the grave can see Ugo is a better option than Bradsaw.

Reactions: ck-2
This is a big win. Arkansas isn’t great but road games are hard and we need road wins in a tough SEC. Another game we absolutely sucked offensively and the refs being usual douchebags. We won a game where we didn’t have it, on the road, when we got punked physically again. That’s still good.

Hahaha but surely if u gonna bet u gonna bet on your team no.

All the more reason to NOT FOUL there lol.
With today's insistence on including Draft Kings, FanDuel, Cesars Palace in everything ad wise.....I think players/officials are making as much $ as possible and as long as the team looks like they win-don't think they give 2 ****s what the final score is-but officials sure do know how to make sure games get near a point spread. Just so happens to end up close a lot in CBB. lol

Truth is likely Adou wanted to continue the tradition of moronic situational basketball as his welcome back moment. Surprised he didn't go into massive back spasms after Cal starting yelling at him and then Reeves/Mitchell got on his ass for being a moron. Nothing will top the ignorance of Reed challenging that 3 in Gainesville up 4....but-it's a Cal led team and he's from Pittsburgh area which was the capital of CBB corruption at one time-been surpassed by Philly (where so many officials get their start) so who the hell knows. At this point with College Basketball, I'm starting to not even care. It's a horrible product.

Kentucky got their identity back in those last 5 minutes. Reed actually took two wide open 3's and made them. Those two steals and 3 assist in the last 3 minutes turned this game from possible loss to burying Arkansas.

And they have to come out strong against Tennessee next week or they'll run them out of Rupp. There's no sure win this year for any teams in the top 10 this year.

Oh yea, how in the hell is Kansas still in the top 10!? They have lost the last 5 of 6 I believe and two in a row. They'll probably drop to on Monday.

Reactions: Lazlo7
If we can't turn a game into a track meet, we have a very difficult time winning. It is simply sickening to me watching the number of rebounds that we get after the ball has hit the floor. I have never seen anything like it.
Shows how great of a rebounder Oscar was even more.

Reactions: ck-2
Kentucky got their identity back in those last 5 minutes. Reed actually took two wide open 3's and made them. Those two steals and 3 assist in the last 3 minutes turned this game from possible loss to burying Arkansas.

And they have to come out strong against Tennessee next week or they'll run them out of Rupp. There's no sure win this year for any teams in the top 10 this year.

Oh yea, how in the hell is Kansas still in the top 10!? They have lost the last 5 of 6 I believe and two in a row. They'll probably drop to on Monday.
It was encouraging to see us not only not blow a lead but to actually play very well and extend it the last 4 minutes. Finally!

Reactions: Kentucky2022
Yes, but it also shows how disinterested this team is in rebounding. We can't even rebound when we have 2 7-footers on the floor.
I agree, it drives me insane. Makes no sense. Cal is a lot of things but he has usually gotten our teams to be great at rebounding every year. This year we just don’t, no matter what the lineup is.

What do you mean? Are you talking about players or teams?

A few games ago, this team was hovering about 50th in defensive efficiency. It slid all the way to the 70s after one game and the 90s after the previous game. Now it's back up to 70s.

I'm saying it's meaningless to look at things this way.

This stuff isn't linear. The gap between 1 and 10 isn't the same as the gap between 11 and 20.

Just like we are really interested in the efficiency margin (overall rank). Going up 20 spots doesn't tell me much. Improving the actual number by a lot just is more indicative.

Lol it's just a minor pet peeve since people have gotten into this computer system stuff.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
Like lets say Vegas is good at what they do. Kenpom typically mirrors Vegas.

If UK jumped 20 spots but only gained a tiny bit on actual defensive efficiency, it really doesn't matter if we are 98th ranked or 75th ranked.

The main goal here is either A) improving the offense and making that number larger or B) lowering the defensive number. Both increase the margin and thus increase the lines in our favor.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
A few games ago, this team was hovering about 50th in defensive efficiency. It slid all the way to the 70s after one game and the 90s after the previous game. Now it's back up to 70s.

I'm saying it's meaningless to look at things this way.

This stuff isn't linear. The gap between 1 and 10 isn't the same as the gap between 11 and 20.

Just like we are really interested in the efficiency margin (overall rank). Going up 20 spots doesn't tell me much. Improving the actual number by a lot just is more indicative.

Lol it's just a minor pet peeve since people have gotten into this computer system stuff.
I agree 100%.

Cats jumped 27 spots in defense in KenPom in one game!
Which goes to show how just being awful offensively and playing a lower scoring game can gain defensive reputation points. Arkansas is a retarded offensive team. Musselman's weakness is offensive basketball. They play like guys who just met at a Camp or Rec Center and are playing Open Gym. There's no plan-it's get the ball--iso--go at it and throw some **** up and pray it goes in. Last year in Rupp they hit everything from deep. The last 2 games in Fayetteville are how his teams usually look offensively. Bad.

So KenPom ratings are moved because the opponent couldn't score 60 if you made them shoot 3's with opponent watching from sideline. Good to know KenPom is so thorough. Or is it because they beat Duke earlier in the season at Full strength because Duke struggles with speed/athleticism this year? (ACC sucks btw but NOBODY will speak that truth on ESPN as we know which should help Kentucky come NCAA Selection time seeing they are 3-0 against the ACC including the 9-0 1st place Heels)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT