ADVERTISEMENT

Observation: Ky just doesn't have the elite LOS players to compete

howercat

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2007
With the upper echelon of the sec, and that is ok, I guess.

I would love it if UK could field 3 deep at each position that are 4 or 5 stars like uga, but the cats just aren't there yet.

With that said, UK is still moving in the right direction, and the cats are going bowling.

Reactions: BlueTick2
If UK had a quarterback as accurate as the one Georgia has, we'd probably be looking at a one score game right now.

No, UK isn't in Georgia's class along the LOS. Most schools across the country aren't. With that being said, they've played alright in the first half (UK's tackles still get beat too often...the d-line has struggled all year).

GBB!!!

Reactions: UKWinsAgainYep
I thought our offensive and defensive line were very competitive with Georgia’s. That’s why they started passing more because we were doing pretty good against the run. Our secondary however, is laughable. They were suppose to be a strength of the defense the last 2 years. They’re pretty good against the run (except for Westry) but none of them are good in coverage.

If UK had a quarterback as accurate as the one Georgia has, we'd probably be looking at a one score game right now.

No, UK isn't in Georgia's class along the LOS. Most schools across the country aren't. With that being said, they've played alright in the first half (UK's tackles still get beat too often...the d-line has struggled all year).

GBB!!!
Totally agree.

I sort of think Allen and Ware are SEC level guys as edge LBers.

Also...I think Stenberg and Bunchy are really good SEC guards (Bunchy has been really good since getting off Center).

We struggle at interior DL and offensive tackles can struggle a bit is the holes we need to cover.

We have a double problem. Can't make accurate throws and when we do we can't make the catch. Bad combination and when you can't do that it hurts the running game because they don't have to respect our passing game.

Another observation: Why does our interior DL line up 4 yards off the ball? It’s driving me insane.

We are better on LOS than in past years, but we still have a way to go.....Stoops has brought us farther along than anyone in that respect.

Reactions: howercat
THe 3-4 is a joke at UK...Carter/Pringle/Middleton/Taylor, etc.. never ever penetrate or get close to a sack. We line them up straight up over the OL and they try to bull rush...never take an angle, attack a gap, etc..

Reactions: law1127
Said for years there is plenty of size in this state for OL just have to develop them.

1. Grey Shirt- invite them in your system, get them to pay 1st year, evaluate work ethic, put them in weight training, etc.
2. Redshirt- if they pass grey shirt year offer a scholarship Redshirt them.
3. RS FR
4. RS SOph
5. RS Junior
6. RS Senior

Could have these guys in your system for 6 years.

Reactions: UKWinsAgainYep
The main ingredient in getting the players to play above their capabilities is coaching. A good example is what James Franklin did at Vandy.

Stoops has done well on the recruiting front, but he isn't the type coach a player will run through a wall for.

The main ingredient in getting the players to play above their capabilities is coaching. A good example is what James Franklin did at Vandy.

Stoops has done well on the recruiting front, but he isn't the type coach a player will run through a wall for.

He had those Vandy boys on some special concoction of PEDs...someone needs to do some investigating.....and then give that to the uk boys.

Reactions: Chuckinden
He had those Vandy boys on some special concoction of PEDs...someone needs to do some investigating.....and then give that to the uk boys.

Franklin might be the best motivator in all of college football. If you can get players to believe in what you are doing then you can hide some talent gaps. That's why he was able to beat Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, and Ole Miss in his three years at Vandy.

With the upper echelon of the sec, and that is ok, I guess.

I would love it if UK could field 3 deep at each position that are 4 or 5 stars like uga, but the cats just aren't there yet.

Yet? I keep seeing this, but can someone articulate what the process is for getting these guys? They are not just going to start magically showing up on campus in droves year after year.

The reality is we are never going to have the talent and depth to consistently go toe to toe with these teams. UK can either let that always be an excuse, or figure out alternative ways to be able to compete.

Reactions: law1127
Yet? I keep seeing this, but can someone articulate what the process is for getting these guys? They are not just going to start magically showing up on campus in droves year after year.

The reality is we are never going to have the talent and depth to consistently go toe to toe with these teams. UK can either let that always be an excuse, or figure out alternative ways to be able to compete.

How about get the 3 star players and occasional 4 star, the best PEDs money can buy, redshirt them all, get that 5th year out of them with 5 years of strength training, advanced nutrition...and again, don't get caught with the PEDs...?.

If Elam went to Bama, do you think he's where he is now physically, or is he a different player? Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT