ADVERTISEMENT

Oats Vs Drew

canebreak

Senior
Jan 26, 2004
I get that Oats seems hot now. But Drew has a championship and had a pretty dominant team. He also has the 6th ranked recruiting class coming in next season. So if he can recruit at Baylor....just thinking out loud.

He already gets top ranked recruiting classes and doesn’t win the big 12 and loses in second round. I don’t think going from #3 class to #1 class would make that much difference

If Drew is our target we will at the very least have one horrible season.

Oats I don’t think has done enough but I think he could put together excitement and a transfer class

But it’s gotta be wright Donovan or Hurley. The rest are not one of top coaches in the game contenders. Yet.

Reactions: Farsight
Oats brings all the buzz. I want buzz. They’re both solid and can get us where we want to be, but pulling Oats is like rolling up to the party in a Lamborghini while Drew is an Accord. They both make it the same, but I want people talking when we arrive.

Probability, history, etc says Drew likely is never wining another title and he sure ain’t going to be THE guy who wins one at 2 different schools imo. So as long as we’re good with not winning a title, Drew is a good hire. Just my opinion.

If Drew is our target we will at the very least have one horrible season.

Oats I don’t think has done enough but I think he could put together excitement and a transfer class

But it’s gotta be wright Donovan or Hurley. The rest are not one of top coaches in the game contenders. Yet.
We won’t get any of those 3 though

Probability, history, etc says Drew likely is never wining another title and he sure ain’t going to be THE guy who wins one at 2 different schools imo. So as long as we’re good with not winning a title, Drew is a good hire. Just my opinion.
Take away his title year, and his post season performances aren't something to get very excited about.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Take away his title year, and his post season performances aren't something to get very excited about.
Image-4-8-24-at-3-09-PM.jpg

I know we base this on tournament results but we have to look a bit deeper here.

2022 they were a 1 seed
2023 they were a 3 seed
2024 they were a 3 seed

The two years before that = 1 seeds (or projected 1 seed).

So the results in the tournament have obviously been a bit of hit or miss but the last five seasons for Baylor have been very good.

Hurley might go back to back. Previous two seasons before that? 1st round exits, both as the better seed. Two seasons before that? No NCAA tournament.

If we look at all the big names and see their NCAA tournament resume, they are spotty at best.

I don't want Drew and would prefer Hurley but give me coaches that have had really good seasons consistently. That was what Cal was sorely lacking here. The lack of consistency. Give me a team that is consistently good year in year out and gets good seeds in the tournament. That's the best way of it possibly turning into a title or two.

Last edited:
I know we base this on tournament results but we have to look a bit deeper here.

2022 they were a 1 seed
2023 they were a 3 seed
2024 they were a 3 seed

The two years before that = 1 seeds (or projected 1 seed).

So the results in the tournament have obviously been a bit of hit or miss but the last five seasons for Baylor have been very good.

Hurley might go back to back. Previous two seasons before that? 1st round exits, both as the better seed. Two seasons before that? No NCAA tournament.

If we look at all the big names and see their NCAA tournament resume, they are spotty at best.

I don't want Drew and would prefer Hurley but give me coaches that have had really good seasons consistently. That was what Cal was sorely lacking here. The lack of consistency. Give me a team that is consistently good year in year out and gets good seeds in the tournament. That's the best way of it possibly turning into a title or two.

You can’t vilify one coach for having premature exits after really good seasons and then use the opposite argument to support hiring another.

The last theee seasons and many before the title would have people here calling Drew a devil worshiping fatazz piece of shyt.

You can’t vilify one coach for having premature exits after really good seasons and then use the opposite argument to support hiring another.

The last theee seasons and many before the title would have people here calling Drew a devil worshiping fatazz piece of shyt.

I'm not really using any of it as an argument for/against. I just think if we are going to make a hire for this position, we need to factor in a bit more than a one game sample in March. For anyone we get.

I wouldn't hire Drew not because of his last few tournament appearances just like I wouldn't dismiss Hurley for the previous four seasons March results before the title.

I think you need to look at things on the whole IMO.

Something to remember about Drew and Baylor. Baylor only joined the Big 12 in 1996; before that
they were in the Southwest Conference and they did not win a conference title between 1950 and 2020.
So winning back to back conference titles and a national championship at Baylor seems pretty impressive to me since they might have the worst basketball tradition of any school that's ever won a national title.

Reactions: chroix
What kind of history is there on coaches who won a national title at a school that hadn't won a conference title in 70 years? I'm thinking that's a group with a likely membership of one.

What if Drew brings VJ Edgecombe and keeps Sheppard, Q, and Z, plus portal guys? We should all take that in a heartbeat. VJ was the most highly coveted recruit Cal wanted and he chose Baylor/Drew over UK and Duke.

Hurley
Oats
Drew
Lloyd

If it’s someone outside of this group I’ll be surprised.

Reactions: jrpross
What if Drew brings VJ Edgecombe and keeps Sheppard, Q, and Z, plus portal guys? We should all take that in a heartbeat. VJ was the most highly coveted recruit Cal wanted and he chose Baylor/Drew over UK and Duke.
He also has two other 5 stars signed for Baylor.

Something to remember about Drew and Baylor. Baylor only joined the Big 12 in 1996; before that
they were in the Southwest Conference and they did not win a conference title between 1950 and 2020.
So winning back to back conference titles and a national championship at Baylor seems pretty impressive to me since they might have the worst basketball tradition of any school that's ever won a national title.

Throw a murder coverup in the mix to make it even more challenging.

I get that Oats seems hot now. But Drew has a championship and had a pretty dominant team. He also has the 6th ranked recruiting class coming in next season. So if he can recruit at Baylor....just thinking out loud.
Drew has been avg 18 out of 20 years
He landed one miracle group

Drew has been avg 18 out of 20 years
He landed one miracle group
You simply cannot count the first 7+ years given what he inherited. A player murdered his teammate. The coach was banned by the NCAA for a culture of drugs, abuse, cheating, and MURDER. It's not like a transfer portal or NIL existed back then. I can't believe anyone looks at what Drew took over and thinks the first half of his career there matters for anything at all.

What kind of history is there on coaches who won a national title at a school that hadn't won a conference title in 70 years? I'm thinking that's a group with a likely membership of one.
You don't look at one season in hiring a coach at UK. Look at what he's done overall. The school doesn't get players, coaches get players and he got quite a few at Baylor. I don't think the guy can win at UK like our fans will demand

You simply cannot count the first 7+ years given what he inherited. A player murdered his teammate. The coach was banned by the NCAA for a culture of drugs, abuse, cheating, and MURDER. It's not like a transfer portal or NIL existed back then. I can't believe anyone looks at what Drew took over and thinks the first half of his career there matters for anything at all.
Also, they had no basketball tradition of being anything other than a cellar dweller. To put it in perspective, Baylor wishes they had Vanderbilt's basketball tradition.

You don't look at one season in hiring a coach at UK. Look at what he's done overall. The school doesn't get players, coaches get players and he got quite a few at Baylor. I don't think the guy can win at UK like our fans will demand
I wasn't looking at one season; I was looking at 70 years. As another poster mentioned you could not have named a worse major conference job than Baylor when Drew got there. They were terrible with no players, no tradition, and coming off an incredibly bad scandal. He's done an amazing job at a place nobody has been able to win at.

Not denying he’s built a solid program there. Can he win another title but do it at a totally diff school tho? I wouldn’t make that bet.

Wright or Hurley I would think have better odds but even then history isn’t on their side, it’s a mountain of a task that only Rick has done, but was vacated.

Oats, who I can see winning one in next few years, would be the best and safest bet for a title because he seems to be knocking on the door right now of one imo.

Unsure on Donovan. Great coach but been out of the college game awhile.

Not denying he’s built a solid program there. Can he win another title but do it at a totally diff school tho? I wouldn’t make that bet.

Wright or Hurley I would think have better odds but even then history isn’t on their side, it’s a mountain of a task that only Rick has done, but was vacated.

Oats, who I can see winning one in next few years, would be the best and safest bet for a title because he seems to be knocking on the door right now of one imo.

Unsure on Donovan. Great coach but been out of the college game awhile.
I'd also like Hurley or Wright but don't see us getting either. It might also be just as hard to win one title at Baylor as it is to win 2 at either Villanova or UCONN.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT