ADVERTISEMENT

Oats gets demolished by Florida

Latrell Wrightsell's injury has really hurt them. Saw he got some spot minutes tonight but his loss was big for them/how they spread the floor. Or do injured players missing games only matter if it's in Lexington? Just want to know how we're setting up the rules for the discussion so the goal post doesn't keep getting moved.

Latrell Wrightsell's injury has really hurt them. Saw he got some spot minutes tonight but his loss was big for them/how they spread the floor. Or do injured players missing games only matter if it's in Lexington? Just want to know how we're setting up the rules for the discussion so the goal post doesn't keep getting moved.
Unless the kid is named Anthony Davis, injury excuses dont have a backbone....especially in blowouts.

• Haha
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Definitely does, I think missing a couple guys for us cost us at least 2 games. We blew 2 other games. Could have been an amazing year had those things not happened. Still could be depending on how we finish.

I was way out in front on the Alabama stinks train. Probably my best call of the season.

Oats has clearly figured out a way to game the metrics by running up the score and ratcheting it up against inferior teams. Really shows the limitations of KenPom/NET that a team like this has been top-5 all year.

But when the core of your team consists of a bunch of mid-major transfers with middling talent, you can only skate by for so long.

The OP is team cal and is gonna point out everytime another coach messes up. Oates seems to have a pattern at bama, really good one year then kinda average the next year. I would still gladly take him as our next coach as I think eventually he is good breakthrough and get to a final four and maybe even win a championship

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
“Flavor of the month” - gaslighting phrase designed to evade the reality of who our coach is today.

College basketball is fluid, we’re all watching in real time. Oats is simply a guy to keep an eye on because he’s doing a great job at ALABAMA, a poor basketball program that's had a lot of trouble wining historically. It’s not about how good he is in a single year or if he lost today. His body of work at Alabama is impressive, he’s got ties to the SEC, he’s young and hungry so - we keep an eye on him. Personally, I’m not totally sold yet but we could do a lot worse than handing the keys to Oats on a 5 year deal with little buyout.

Same as the others that we bring up and name as potential candidates. Plus, there’s plenty of evidence that suggest Oats might win big here. Someone HAS TO BE the next group of goat college coaches, Oats has proven he might be one. It’s funny when some hold the Alabama coach to a standard they dont even apply to
Calipari at Kentucky.

But please by all means, all hands on deck to protect Calipari from his own record. Skew this conversation to the point where it’s unrecognizable and void of meaningful dialogue. “Flavor of the month” us to death.

Last edited:
Oates seems to be what I would call a system coach. He's playing the analytics game which will get you a lot of wins but will come a cropper against a good team when the 3's don't fall. If they had settled for some mid-range 2's (and made a few of them) down the stretch against UT, they might have won but he won't adjust. JMHO

Reactions: thedahc
Alabama never was the best team in the conference. They had the easiest schedule in the league. They finally had to play some folks here at the end and they blew it.
Agreed. Bama was never that good, just scored alot of points. Reminded me of Pitino's early teams here, guard heavy, shoot alot of 3s and hope they go in.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I’m not sure I understand this. We’ve had some really untimely injuries over the years but those were never allowed to be an excuse. It’s always Calipari’s fault all the time, not the injuries. Correct??

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Do the losses to LSU , UNC Wilmington, 3 straight home rupp arena losses ( unprecedented ) Texas AM, and St Joe's cause anyone to sway their opinion that John Big Benny Calipari's best days are behind him ?

That beatdown from Kentucky literally broke them.

A few weeks ago, a lot of y'all wanted Oats as the Head Coach...he's not looking all that great now is he.

lol i think people should pump the brakes on the whole Bama stinks thing.

They are going to finish the conference 13-5 and 2nd most likely. In the SEC which has been tough. The home loss to UT was bad IMO but losing on the road to us and UF.......well u know how road games go.

Alarming is HOW they lost tho. Giving up 117 on 80 possessions to us and 105 in 80 possessions to UF isn't good. Once again it appears that while Alabama is still a good team, they much like us are also one sided. 1st in offense, 106th on defense.

This has been Oats problem for a long long time now. It's wild because he CAN have good defensive teams. In both 2021 and 2023 they were 3rd overall on defense. The problem is his other three years 114th, 92nd and 106th. That's not good

Go tell that to Duke who gets ass kissing every time they have a dude out with a splinter.

“Duke loses tonight by 15. But they were a man down; they should move up in the polls Monday for their great effort”.
I am still amazed that "Flip" was able to overcome such adversity to play again when it seemed just hours before he may lose his life or at the very minimum his leg to such a senseless act of violence.

Reactions: Lumpy 2 and tomrain
“Flavor of the month” - gaslighting phrase designed to evade the reality of who our coach is today.

College basketball is fluid, we’re all watching in real time. Oats is simply a guy to keep an eye on because he’s doing a great job at ALABAMA, a poor basketball program that's had a lot of trouble wining historically. It’s not about how good he is in a single year or if he lost today. His body of work at Alabama is impressive, he’s got ties to the SEC, he’s young and hungry so - we keep an eye on him. Personally, I’m not totally sold yet but we could do a lot worse than handing the keys to Oats on a 5 year deal with little buyout.

Same as the others that we bring up and name as potential candidates. Plus, there’s plenty of evidence that suggest Oats might win big here. Someone HAS TO BE the next group of goat college coaches, Oats has proven he might be one. It’s funny when some hold the Alabama coach to a standard they dont even apply to
Calipari at Kentucky.

But please by all means, all hands on deck to protect Calipari from his own record. Skew this conversation to the point where it’s unrecognizable and void of meaningful dialogue. “Flavor of the month” us to death.
Alabama had a pretty good run under CM and again with Wimp.

They wouldn’t be a traditional power but they haven’t been a doormat either.

Most of the SEC teams have a moment or two in their history where they challenge UK for a season or two. Then fall back into place. There is one standard bearer in the SEC and it’s UK. Always has been. Always will be.

UK has won more conference titles that all of the rest put together. UK has won more SEC tournaments than all of the rest put together.

UK has more than double up’ed all of the National Titles than all of the rest put together.

The conversation of SEC basketball starts and ends with UK.

Been true with 7 UK coaches and will be true thru 8,9 and 10 UK coaches.

As long as there is an SEC Conference playing basketball it will be about UK.

lol i think people should pump the brakes on the whole Bama stinks thing.

They are going to finish the conference 13-5 and 2nd most likely. In the SEC which has been tough. The home loss to UT was bad IMO but losing on the road to us and UF.......well u know how road games go.

Alarming is HOW they lost tho. Giving up 117 on 80 possessions to us and 105 in 80 possessions to UF isn't good. Once again it appears that while Alabama is still a good team, they much like us are also one sided. 1st in offense, 106th on defense.

This has been Oats problem for a long long time now. It's wild because he CAN have good defensive teams. In both 2021 and 2023 they were 3rd overall on defense. The problem is his other three years 114th, 92nd and 106th. That's not good

I mean yea man, it’s pretty weird to
put Oats down. He’s doing what he’s doing at Alabama, not Kentucky. 2nd in this tough league, headed to another NCAA.

It’s hard for me to believe there’s anyone who doesn’t understand the differences in these programs. Maybe it’s a youth thing, I guess.

Most of the SEC teams have a moment or two in their history where they challenge UK for a season or two. Then fall back into place. There is one standard bearer in the SEC and it’s UK. Always has been. Always will be.

UK has won more conference titles that all of the rest put together. UK has won more SEC tournaments than all of the rest put together.

UK has more than double up’ed all of the National Titles than all of the rest put together.

I’m not even sure what this is about or why you’ve tagged me in a post discussing the dominance of UK’s history.

They have those “moments” because they had a coach who could compete with limited resources. Oats is going to win in college basketball. I’m sure with UK’s backing and resources he would win big here, but there are other coaches and situations to consider.

The issue is when a few diminish his record of finishing ahead of UK again and again, it’s ridiculous. Pump the breaks a little.

Yep. Historically this conference has sucked.

Unless the kid is named Anthony Davis, injury excuses dont have a backbone....especially in blowouts.
So then all these humiliating losses in the last 5 years and no tourney wins are the direct result of Cal and his inability to prepare his team since injuries without AD aren’t an excuse. Thanks for validating what we have all been saying.

Oats is doing fine for Alabama.

He would do well here. Unless you are a drunk you are pretty much guaranteed to win 1 title and do well at UK due to prestige, history and interest n the program (driving NIL for players).

We don't look close to a 2nd title under calipari and haven't been close since 2014 and 2015. There's no shame in that as no coach has won a 2nd title here post Rupp. The time for a change is overdue though.

Thanks barnie.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Never on the Oats bandwagon...

The Todd Golden bandwagon however.... definitely.

Oats is fine - but has maxed out what he and his system can do. If he gets the right players, they could excel in a season - and honestly have on some level - but the ceiling has been seen.

Golden however has not seen his ceiling yet. In fact this season they were struggling badly early, but have turned it around nicely. Plus love his approach, attitude and aptitude for the game. Not saying he is the ONLY choice to replace Cal, but he should be in the mix for sure.

Wow, just saw that Florida had 46 free throws on 31 fouls committed by Alabama. Hard to win when that happens to you.

SEC needs to address its officiating. This seems to happen only in this conference, as earlier in the year the Auburn/Alabama game saw one team shoot 50 free throws. Other conference seem to be more content to just let the teams play and keep the best players in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT