ADVERTISEMENT

Oats gets demolished by Florida

Would that be the same Florida team that came into Rupp and stole our ice cream? at least Alabama lost on the road.
Yeah, and we beat Florida at Florida, Bama got CRUSHED. But not as bad as we beat their ass. If you are going to use "at least Bama was on the road" excuse, well you have to use the "we beat Florida in Gainesville and Bama got smoked". Also, losing in overtime is hardly "taking our ice cream". Agenda much ? Losing to Florida is NOT a bad loss, losing in overtime even more. They are a bunch of scrappy, hard playing kids, very dangerous team.

So to recap for you :
Bama lost at Florida by 18 (not that close really). UK won AT Florida
UK lost at home in overtime to Florida. UK smoked Bama by 22 (really not that close. Up 37 at one point and gave them the mercy rule).
Got anymore dumb analysis I can break down like a shotgun for you ? I am here all day if need be. just post em and I will dissect them.

Latrell Wrightsell's injury has really hurt them. Saw he got some spot minutes tonight but his loss was big for them/how they spread the floor. Or do injured players missing games only matter if it's in Lexington? Just want to know how we're setting up the rules for the discussion so the goal post doesn't keep getting moved.
It’s hard to overstate the impact of this if you watch them regularly. They aren’t a deep team this year, but having Wrightsell healthy gave them an extremely dangerous starting 5 that could execute their gameplan to perfection. Not only do they not have a direct replacement for him on the bench, you can tell that the extra minutes their other starting guards have been trying to pick up in his absence are taking a toll because they were noticeably tired last night.

Unfortunately, things might have only gotten worse because Griffen appeared to suffer a significant leg injury on the play Oats went ballistic about (he had two hands on a loose ball before getting completely trucked by two Florida players. Doug Shows and company called it incidental contact and gave the ball to Florida out of bounds). It seems pretty likely that they won’t finish the season how they started it now, but I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s because Oats can’t coach. He was actually doing a great job with a roster limited by some surprise departures until the injuries took their toll.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Yeah, and we beat Florida at Florida, Bama got CRUSHED. But not as bad as we beat their ass. If you are going to use "at least Bama was on the road" excuse, well you have to use the "we beat Florida in Gainesville and Bama got smoked". Also, losing in overtime is hardly "taking our ice cream". Agenda much ? Losing to Florida is NOT a bad loss, losing in overtime even more. They are a bunch of scrappy, hard playing kids, very dangerous team.

So to recap for you :
UK lost at home in overtime to Florida. UK smoked Bama by 22 (really not that close. Up 37 at one point and gave them the mercy rule).
Got anymore dumb analysis I can break down like a shotgun for you ? I am here all day if need be. just post em and I will dissect them.
Wasn't that the game that if Rob hits a FT we win?

Do the losses to LSU , UNC Wilmington, 3 straight home rupp arena losses ( unprecedented ) Texas AM, and St Joe's cause anyone to sway their opinion that John Big Benny Calipari's best days are behind him ?
We lost to St. Joes ? Well damn, all year I thought we had won that game ???

Lost to LSU ON THE ROAD, by a buzzer beater when we had blocked the shot and the ball fell into the guys lap for a put back, bad luck.
UNCW was a terrible loss, I give you that. But every team has them this year.

A&M - once again, OT loss ON THE ROAD. Their 2 guys went nuclear, hit everything. Sound familiar ?

UK only has the ONE bad loss. UNCW, no excuse. NONE. All of the others (even Gonzaga at home) was not a terrible loss, it was close, had a chance to win. Gonzaga has gotten really hot and are playing very good basketball.
Kansas - It was early, (new guys adjusting to each other) no big men, had a very good chance to win.

@ A&M - Overtime, on the road, their 2 guys went nuclear. No shame losing in OT @ A&M. The same A&M team beat Tenn. by 16 in the same gym. They have also beat Iowa St.

@ SC - We got beat soundly, but losing ON THE Road to SC is not a bad loss.

Florida - We beat them on the road, lost at home. Could have won, we split with them, Florida is very good.

Tenn. at home, we got handled pretty good, BUT no shame in losing to a 1 seed for the NCAA tournament. Need to even the score @ Tenn.

@ LSU - Once again, on the road in conference, unlucky at the end, blocked a shot and the ball lands in the guys lap for a lay in at the buzzer.

So really only ONE bad loss, but you failed to mention the good wins ??? Wonder why ? I think beating UNC, @ Auburn, destroying Bama, @ Florida and even winning @ Miss. State, far outweighs the ONE really bad loss.

We have had some injuries, people out sick and just getting everyone (missing all of our big men for a portion of the season was a major set back), to get on the same page made it tough. Not excuses, just stating the obvious. Can you imagine if we could have had Z for the whole season ? Where would he be ? You see him and Bradshaw are finally coming around and showing signs of being a very big part of the puzzle that was missing for a big chunk of the year and even when they got back, it took a while to get acclimated with the team. They still have some improving to do, when they get it all together (showing signs), this team CAN go a very long ways. Edwards is showing signs, Wagner is finally healthy and showing he is ready to break out. Get Mitchell back to the way he played before going down with 2 injuries, and the whole body of work as a TEAM finally, as Cal would say "I like my team".

But the bottom line is (everyone wants to put ALL of the blame on Cal), MOST of the close losses simply came down to EXECUTION. The PLAYERS did not execute, whether it be a stop, rebound, not commit a silly, costly turnover. You can coach all you want, but in the end it is the PLAYERS who have to execute in order to win.

Wasn't that the game that if Rob hits a FT we win?
Yeap. And just as I stated in another post, a lot of our close losses (probably all) simply came down to players executing . Getting a key stop, not committing a costly turn over, rebounding, and hitting free throws. In the games we lost (other than SC and UT), the players simply did not finish. You can do all the coaching you want, but in the end, if the players do not do it on the court it doesn't matter.

And we beat Florida at their place, and smoked Bama by 22. I think YOU are missing something, Buddy. We lost to Florida in overtime, we didn't get ran out of the gym. We split with Florida, nothing to be ashamed of.
Who said our split with Florida was something to be ashamed of? Not missing a thing dude. The OP’s premise has too little body of work to come to the viewpoint that Oates wouldn’t be a good replacement for Cal. Pay attention.

Lost to LSU ON THE ROAD, by a buzzer beater when we had blocked the shot and the ball fell into the guys lap for a put back, bad luck.

A&M - once again, OT loss ON THE ROAD. Their 2 guys went nuclear, hit everything. Sound familiar ?

UK only has the ONE bad loss. UNCW, no excuse. NONE. All of the others (even Gonzaga at home) was not a terrible loss, it was close, had a chance to win. Gonzaga has gotten really hot and are playing very good basketball.
Kansas - It was early, (new guys adjusting to each other) no big men, had a very good chance to win.

@ A&M - Overtime, on the road, their 2 guys went nuclear. No shame losing in OT @ A&M. The same A&M team beat Tenn. by 16 in the same gym. They have also beat Iowa St.

Florida - We beat them on the road, lost at home. Could have won, we split with them, Florida is very good.

Tenn. at home, we got handled pretty good, BUT no shame in losing to a 1 seed for the NCAA tournament. Need to even the score @ Tenn.

@ LSU - Once again, on the road in conference, unlucky at the end, blocked a shot and the ball lands in the guys lap for a lay in at the buzzer.

So really only ONE bad loss, but you failed to mention the good wins ??? Wonder why ? I think beating UNC, @ Auburn, destroying Bama, @ Florida and even winning @ Miss. State, far outweighs the ONE really bad loss.

We have had some injuries, people out sick and just getting everyone (missing all of our big men for a portion of the season was a major set back), to get on the same page made it tough. Not excuses, just stating the obvious. Can you imagine if we could have had Z for the whole season ? Where would he be ? You see him and Bradshaw are finally coming around and showing signs of being a very big part of the puzzle that was missing for a big chunk of the year and even when they got back, it took a while to get acclimated with the team. They still have some improving to do, when they get it all together (showing signs), this team CAN go a very long ways. Edwards is showing signs, Wagner is finally healthy and showing he is ready to break out. Get Mitchell back to the way he played before going down with 2 injuries, and the whole body of work as a TEAM finally, as Cal would say "I like my team".

But the bottom line is (everyone wants to put ALL of the blame on Cal), MOST of the close losses simply came down to EXECUTION. The PLAYERS did not execute, whether it be a stop, rebound, not commit a silly, costly turnover. You can coach all you want, but in the end it is the PLAYERS who have to execute in order to win.
Good synopsis. But everyone isn’t saying it’s all on Cal. Most are saying Cal is an average floor coach. This is not an unreasonable position, and it’s a common position from those in the business. Same with the dribble drive. Everyone knows driving into the lane when one of your teammates just did 2 secs ago leaves a 3 on 2 situation in favor of the defense.

At least you remembered not to call him " Dad" and said " Cal " ... as for the rest of the excuses and if's , if's, if's and if's ... and crying about going on the ROAD .. just laughable . Heck you could be Mitch .. lol

At least you remembered not to call him " Dad" and said " Cal " ... as for the rest of the excuses and if's , if's, if's and if's ... and crying about going on the ROAD .. just laughable . Heck you could be Mitch .. lol
Sorry Negative Nemo, but I can't take anyone's opinion or believe their knowledge to the situation when they posted we lost to St. Joes, when in fact we DID NOT lose the game. Maybe fact check before trying to come to the big boy table and talk. Not to mention the fact you are ALWAYS negative in your post, and childish names you call Cal and posters who do not agree with your opinion. And yes I called you Negative Nemo, simply just as a way to combat your silly little name calling. Maybe living in Manitou all these years (sad place), has got to your brain, I know it would me.

Our first round bow down to Saint Joseph .. does our last NCAAT not count ? St Joe you know

Most of you favor him to be the coach yesterday. Still hoping, or did the beating by UK, UT and now Florida sway things?
Whoever the next coach is at UK will do better because of better recruits and facilities. So these kinds of posts change nothing about how I am looking at things.

The conversation of SEC basketball starts and ends with UK.

As long as there is an SEC Conference playing basketball it will be about UK.
I agree with you 100% that UK is the standard bearer for SEC men’s B. As a UF fan, I wonder though… don’t you guys at least respect what the Gators have done in the past few decades? The conversation starts and ends with UK, but I think UF is part of the discussion. I don’t believe in Bama, Tenn, USCe, etc… They need to show me some hardware before I even consider them anything but this years hot team that that will flame out. If UK is the clear #1, is UF not the clear #2?

Our first round bow down to Saint Joseph .. does our last NCAAT not count ? St Joe you know
???? Could you be a little more clearer on WTF you are trying to say ? You posted UK losses on the year, and listed St. Joes.

Also, 1100 miles away from KY is where you got your username, even worse than it being Manitou, KY.

Pal.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Hate to be that guy, but we lost to St. Peter's. And it wasn't our last NCAAT but the one before. Maybe today isn't your day.

???? Could you be a little more clearer on WTF you are trying to say ? You posted UK losses on the year, and listed St. Joes.

Also, 1100 miles away from KY is where you got your username, even worse than it being Manitou, KY.

Pal
I get it , Cal can do no wrong .. 8-9-10 losses or so , again . Not a major player on the national scene . We have lost 4 times in Rupp .. this year . But you carry the banner . Have at it .

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I'm not defending Cal's coaching record the last few years but I'm not sure Oats would be a good choice. He has a 68% winning percentage and has double digit losses in three of his five years and also had an early exit from the tourney last year after being ranked #1 earlier in the season.

Who does the OP want as a coach so we can all tell him how he's wrong as well?

Hate to be that guy, but we lost to St. Peter's. And it wasn't our last NCAAT but the one before. Maybe today isn't your day.
Saint somebody sandwiched around a couple losses to Kansas State. Whoopty Doo.

So to recap for you :
Thank you sir for enlightening me, no further lessons will be necessary.

I was way out in front on the Alabama stinks train. Probably my best call of the season.

Oats has clearly figured out a way to game the metrics by running up the score and ratcheting it up against inferior teams. Really shows the limitations of KenPom/NET that a team like this has been top-5 all year.

But when the core of your team consists of a bunch of mid-major transfers with middling talent, you can only skate by for so long.
This is so true. St. John's blew out a horrible DePaul team (that hasn't won a single conference game all season) and they jumped 4 spots in the NET rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT