ADVERTISEMENT

OAD rule not going away anytime soon

Never have been a fan of the rule but it is what it is and we just have to live with it. NIL will keep a few players around an extra year maybe so that is a positive I guess(unless they elect to just sit on the bench and collect their money since Cal will let them do it)
Cal should absolutely be slaughtering basketball right now. It’s crazy that he’s not.

Cal should absolutely be slaughtering basketball right now. It’s crazy that he’s not.
Yes he should, that is the reason I am so down on Cal. He has the tools and is in the right place to make OAD/NIL work. It makes one wonder where his mind and priorities really are these days. Maybe he has gotten too comfortable and is just coasting but I don't buy that

Hell the one and done don't seem like such a problem now! It's nothing compared to that ol bullshit that we call the portal. hell that's 100x worse than the damn OAD rule. The portal is what makes an ass out of everything all summer every summer. Hell I understand if a kid wants to see where his draft status may be or what he needs to work on. That's not bad for the game like transferring for the hell of it.

Yes he should, that is the reason I am so down on Cal. He has the tools and is in the right place to make OAD/NIL work. It makes one wonder where his mind and priorities really are these days. Maybe he has gotten too comfortable and is just coasting but I don't buy that
I agree, it’s literally the perfect situation for what he created when he came here too.

Reactions: docholiday51
No drive man. Absolutely no drive. I know losers when I see and hear them; and I'm not the black and white "you're either winning or losing- cookies are for closers" type either. But Cal is sadly a loser now. You can just see and hear it. The dogs talk. The Little House comments. Like, those are great one offs if you have a bad night and you're overall succeeding. But.....he's not.

Thought that was going to be different after that St Peter's loss. He revamped a bit, started being a little nicer to fans, the "enough talk" at BBM. But alas, same ol Cal by season's end. Dude has just gotten comfortable being "ok". And that is always a dying mentality.

No drive man. Absolutely no drive. I know losers when I see and hear them; and I'm not the black and white "you're either winning or losing- cookies are for closers" type either. But Cal is sadly a loser now. You can just see and hear it. The dogs talk. The Little House comments. Like, those are great one offs if you have a bad night and you're overall succeeding. But.....he's not.

Thought that was going to be different after that St Peter's loss. He revamped a bit, started being a little nicer to fans, the "enough talk" at BBM. But alas, same ol Cal by season's end. Dude has just gotten comfortable being "ok". And that is always a dying mentality.
He just doesn’t want to or have the guy who can analyze the game and help him on the court, he should even be pulling in the best of the best like he did this year, but every year now. K and Roy are gone. Kansas has not been a 1 and D threat very often, and NIL with the 1 and D should be his wheel house. Not to mention the success he had playing a new roster yearly. Everything is setup to how he won games.

He just doesn’t want to or have the guy who can analyze the game and help him on the court, he should even be pulling in the best of the best like he did this year, but every year now. K and Roy are gone. Kansas has not been a 1 and D threat very often, and NIL with the 1 and D should be his wheel house. Not to mention the success he had playing a new roster yearly. Everything is setup to how he won games.
From my perspective, Cal can’t use the ‘portal’ to get the best players to help UK win more games because of his reputation of playing his young OneNDone guys to get them to the NBA. A high profile player entering the ‘portal’ is not going to come here without having confidence that he will get major playing time, and, of course, a lot of NIL money. Cal can’t promise that because of his OneNDone penchant.

From my perspective, Cal can’t use the ‘portal’ to get the best players to help UK win more games because of his reputation of playing his young OneNDone guys to get them to the NBA. A high profile player entering the ‘portal’ is not going to come here without having confidence that he will get major playing time, and, of course, a lot of NIL money. Cal can’t promise that because of his OneNDone penchant.
OAD ain't what it used to be, Wall, Cousins, AD and KAT haven't been walking thru the door the past few years. OAD's haven't been as ready to play as they once were, The portal players have had a bigger impact than OAD's

Putting together the right mix has been something that has eluded Cal over the past 2 or 3 years. He could figure it out I guess but that is a work in progress

Reactions: G-PIP
I mean, didn't Reid Travis start? Nate Sestina? Oscar? Wheeler? Antonio Reeves? All these guys started and played big minutes. If other coaches/schools are trying to use that as a negative recruiting tool, Cal should have no problem proving otherwise.

Reactions: NociHTTP
The portal has thrown a wrench into the days of just waiting for the NBA hat guys. Now you either wait/hope for the player to come back or recruit in the portal. With teams built with multiple 1 and done guys it put you in a limbo. Makes it much harder to manage inmho.

Cal be like:

Naomi Watts Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

To me, the OAD is a big-middle-finger to the NCAA by the NBA saying, we don't have the self-control to not draft HS kids who haven't shown they can play against men, so can you test them out for us weeding out some of the future failures.
The obvious solution/compromise is to implement something like MLB does, allowing players to go straight from HS, however if you do go to college then you are there at least 2 years. So the best of the best, go. The the guys NBA teams want to see a bit more evidence from, go to school for 2 years to prove they are worth the investment.

Also the NCAA should take the pro-education stance, and say if you declare but aren't drafted, or even are but want to improve your spot (i.e. 2nd round pick), or even don't want to play for the team that drafted you, then you can return to school (maybe they can't play fall semester). Why protect the NBA?

I mean, didn't Reid Travis start? Nate Sestina? Oscar? Wheeler? Antonio Reeves? All these guys started and played big minutes. If other coaches/schools are trying to use that as a negative recruiting tool, Cal should have no problem proving otherwise.
Schools are telling these kids "You don't need to go to XYZ school with a raging coach who won't run sets to give you looks, in order to get to the NBA".

Schools are telling these kids "You don't need to go to XYZ school with a raging coach who won't run sets to give you looks, in order to get to the NBA".
TBH running sets turns a lot of kids off. They want freedom of a motion offense. Purdue runs a lot of sets to the point they can’t recruit guys that can go get a bucket. Most kids want a match up type coach. Hi ball screen and get a switch. Sure you can run a few sets(out of bounds/dead ball/quick hitter) but not to the point of running a whole offense like that. Shooters are getting harder to grade.

TBH running sets turns a lot of kids off. They want freedom of a motion offense. Purdue runs a lot of sets to the point they can’t recruit guys that can go get a bucket. Most kids want a match up type coach. Hi ball screen and get a switch. Sure you can run a few sets(out of bounds/dead ball/quick hitter) but not to the point of running a whole offense like that. Shooters are getting harder to grade.
The point I'm trying to make is that Cal does NOT run sets. Just about every really good team out there runs sets. He does not coach well at all.

The point I'm trying to make is that Cal does NOT run sets. Just about every really good team out there runs sets. He does not coach well at all.
You are both right. Cal runs very few set plays, which hurts our performance as a team. On the other hand, players don't want to run set plays, they want to have the freedom "do their thing". So in that regard, it's not a negative on Cal being able to recruit/not players, but is a negative on W's & L's.

But he can point to guys like Grady, Sestina, and Travis playing a big role, Oscar, even Wheeler.

NIL and the portal has actually leveled the field which is why you are seeing the Dukes, UNCs and UKs not dominating like they use to and smaller teams like FAU, San Diego St and teams that are portal built hanging with the big boys now

The Portal could really be a big advantage for a program like UK given the NIL situation currently. But to be really successful at using the Portal - just as with getting OAD players - a coach is going to have to figure out how to create advantages (whether actual or perceived).

Since I do not believe building a roster with OAD freshmen is the best way to put together a team that can win a Title, and since Calipari still seems pretty intent on, in my opinion, over doing the freshmen OAD reliance; I would be happy to see the NBA do away with their rule.

Yeah, it’s so easy to coach zero experience and pathetic team skills out of high school. I mean every other coach in America can lose 3 starting guards to injury and still win the tourney. It’s just nuts

The Portal could really be a big advantage for a program like UK given the NIL situation currently. But to be really successful at using the Portal - just as with getting OAD players - a coach is going to have to figure out how to create advantages (whether actual or perceived).

Since I do not believe building a roster with OAD freshmen is the best way to put together a team that can win a Title, and since Calipari still seems pretty intent on, in my opinion, over doing the freshmen OAD reliance; I would be happy to see the NBA do away with their rule.
If the NBA had any regard for college athletics, they'd help to put a 2 year rule into place, where you HAVE to attend classes, and you HAVE to play (and not hide behind fake injuries or hang out on the bench).

That would help the NBA to weed out potential draft busts, and help the college game.

But the NBA doesn't care a bit about college athletics. How many of those players actually come back to help the schools they attended? How many of them actually give a respectable amount back to these schools?

Reactions: G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT