ADVERTISEMENT

Norlander: "I don't think it is the correct decision for Kentucky"

This is why Cal’s still here - they couldn’t pay him to go away.

"Talking to two sources in the last two days, one of the biggest sticking points is a lot of that money would have to come from the Craft family, which is one of the biggest donors around the Kentucky men's basketball program and Kentucky athletics. I was told John and Kelly Craft just were not going to pay John Calipari north of $30 million no matter how they decided to (pay it out). They're not going to let him walk away with all of that money

"Talking to two sources in the last two days, one of the biggest sticking points is a lot of that money would have to come from the Craft family, which is one of the biggest donors around the Kentucky men's basketball program and Kentucky athletics. I was told John and Kelly Craft just were not going to pay John Calipari north of $30 million no matter how they decided to (pay it out). They're not going to let him walk away with all of that money
Interesting strategy. It's Craft's money, so if he chooses to let Cal take all the ish coming his way, that's his right. Cal can walk wherever he wants. Kinda funny that Craft basically said, "I'm not bailing his dumb ass out with a $30M parachute". I kinda respect that. Make Cal suffer for his choices.

We have conflicting reports, MJ said they had the money, and besides that, that it wasn't a lump sum payment. They could pay it off stretched through several years.

I posted in the buyout is imminent thread stating what I had heard about the Crafts. Multiple people laughed at it and I stated I was just passing along the info I had heard.

For this threads purpose, I’ll say it again. The crafts told Barnhart they were not paying the money. They said they were done paying for basketball and were stepping away from it.

Now I’m sure that was only a small part of the conversation, but the gist of it is there. I believe they are fed up with it all as well and are letting Mitch die on the vine with cal

"Who" is responsible for that "BIG" payout???? Mitch you are the start of the problem and it ends with Cal..... Both of you need to go after next season, I hope Rupp is empty and the money dries up for BB......

GBB

And as much as I want Cal gone, I certainly can’t blame the Crafts for refusing to pay it. I wouldn’t either if I were them.

This situation all falls on our dumb AD’s head.

I for one have been screaming from the mountain tops to get rid of this used car salesman for years! As much as I love my team, Kentucky deserves exactly what they're are getting and will be getting in keeping this bum! The loyal fans don't deserve their proud program to be dragged through the mud over and over again. He's made us a laughingstock

I for one have been screaming from the mountain tops to get rid of this used car salesman for years! As much as I love my team, Kentucky deserves exactly what they're are getting and will be getting in keeping this bum! The loyal fans don't deserve their proud program to be dragged through the mud over and over again. He's made us a laughingstock
I was one of the top Cal advocates when Tubby left. At the time, he was the right guy for the job. I was ticked when Mitch hired Billy G instead.

The old Cal no longer exists. The current version is washed up and has no fire left. He should have been replaced several years ago. Maybe we can buy him out, then garnish Mitch's paycheck until the $30 mil is paid back.

Yeah. I’m having trouble believing the university could afford $6.6M a year for 5 years.
Kentucky is ranked 16th in total revenue ($153.6M) of the only 25 programs that turn a profit in athletics. If universities didn't have to fund all of the sports that lose money, getting rid of someone like Cal wouldn't be as big of an issue. Instead, you're at the mercy of boosters.

We have conflicting reports, MJ said they had the money, and besides that, that it wasn't a lump sum payment. They could pay it off stretched through several years.

Yeah but it’s the Crafts money and $33 million dollars is $33 million dollars. I don’t blame them one bit if they didn’t want to pay Calipari (who they seem to not care for anymore) $33 million dollars to do nothing even if spread out. Especially if Kailpari WANTED to leave. That’s $33 MILLION dollars even if the crafts are rich.

Now he’s forced Kalipari to stay and be trash for another season. Almost like an “FU” to Kalipari. You think last season’s unrest was bad? Wait till next season when UK is even worse.

This should show some of you that the UK program isn't the behemoth that many of you think it is. Other big time programs can find ways to pony up the buyouts and UK doesn't have anyone willing to fork out the buyout for JC.

Yeah but it’s the Crafts money and $33 million dollars is $33 million dollars. I don’t blame them one bit if they didn’t want to pay Calipari (who they seem to not care for anymore) $33 million dollars to do nothing even if spread out. Especially if Kailpari WANTED to leave. That’s $33 MILLION dollars even if the crafts are rich.

Now he’s forced Kalipari to stay and be trash for another season. Almost like an “FU” to Kalipari. You think last season’s unrest was bad? Wait till next season when UK is even worse.
It's gonna be Billy Clyde bad next season.

Kentucky is ranked 16th in total revenue ($153.6M) of the only 25 programs that turn a profit in athletics. If universities didn't have to fund all of the sports that lose money, getting rid of someone like Cal wouldn't be as big of an issue. Instead, you're at the mercy of boosters.

Similar to the wnba who loses millions every single year and is only still a thing because it’s bankrolled by the NBA.

That being said I do support college sports outside of basketball. It’s just the entitlement by some that think they should have all the perks that basketball and football have on the back of basketball and football profit.

Stoops was paid more than Michigan's Harbaugh. One guy won a national championship; the other guy gets 6-6 bowl games. Barnhardt has missed more than he's hit.
What does football money have to do with getting rid of Cal and Barney????? I thought you were a Noles fan???? If so what's that have to do with you????

GBB

Hmm, there were a few of us who predicted this exact scenario and got laughing emoji after laughing emoji. Funny how that works.

Stoops was paid more than Michigan's Harbaugh. One guy won a national championship; the other guy gets 6-6 bowl games. Barnhardt has missed more than he's hit.
You think Harbaugh could win at UK? Stoops, like it or not, has won more games at UK than anyone else. All programs aren't created equal. Kentucky as a place does not enjoy a decent reputation. It isn't what you'd call a destination. It has a reputation for poverty and ... well ... all the stuff that goes along with poverty.

Is there any chance usc goes after cal if their coach goes to smu?
I think Cal would probably LOVE to go to USC at this point. To be out in LA alongside all the celebrities, stars and most powerful agents? That’s right up his alley.

But I seriously doubt USC would be interested in this version of Cal now. Especially not if they’d have to pay him an amount comparable to what he’s owed on his ridiculous contract here.

I'm sure UK has the money, and while some of you will argue that they should spend it to get rid of Cal,

I bet they looked at it from a very calculated process. Another year of sec stagnation and NCAA failure doesn't cost more than getting rid of Cal, buy the rights to hire a new coach, and not spending money on other athletic programs, and/or burning the goodwill of large donors. Rebuilding the men's AND women's programs would be a tall order in the same year with a Football program having to face a much more difficult SEC

so perhaps Barnhart should have pushed Cal to walk away at a seriously reduced price to save his legacy but outside of that, especially seeing how much UL is fumbling this , Mitch and others decided status quo is the most cost effective decision

Where they are making the mistake is not addressing this with the fans - they want to talk about more transparency and then he makes the most vanilla tweet possible. Maybe there is more coming in the near future, but UK fans deserve to hear what is going to be done differently this year that both Mitch and Cal are invested in making a difference in the direction of the program.

Mitch has to tie his name and his reputation to this decision and own it in terms of results or else to the fans.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT