ADVERTISEMENT

Noah not on the Ky all stars team??

It obviously was his choice, so guess you’d have to ask him.

Players today no longer care much for this sort of thing. Which sorta bums me out, I miss the days when they did. It used to be considered a great honor to be on that Ky team. But no longer.

It obviously was his choice, so guess you’d have to ask him.

Players today no longer care much for this sort of thing. Which sorta bums me out, I miss the days when they did. It used to be considered a great honor to be on that Ky team. But no longer.
Folks north of the Ohio still take that game seriously. Hasn't seemed like the commonwealth has for a while.

They should just name the teams but don’t actually play games. I remember the KY-IN all star series was a big deal when I was a kid. My family used to go every year at Freedom Hall.

But, it’s lost so much prestige in the past 20 years and Indiana absolutely owns Kentucky on the boys’ side, leading 103-45 all time. If the top, top kids in both states don’t want to play in it, why play it?

Not sure the reason but I hope Noah and Perry especially destroy Arkansas and equally do well in their college careers. I read that Cal tried to talk Perry out of coming and didn't recruit Noah. If this is true (as it seems) it was a rotten thing and I would love to see Pope make Cal look like the fool that he proved to be the past few years.

Not sure the reason but I hope Noah and Perry especially destroy Arkansas and equally do well in their college careers. I read that Cal tried to talk Perry out of coming and didn't recruit Noah. If this is true (as it seems) it was a rotten thing and I would love to see Pope make Cal look like the fool that he proved to be the past few years.
I’d like to see the specifics on cal taking to Perry out of not coming…but if so…he was not going to use the full scholarship limit….sp why try to push him away?

They should just name the teams but don’t actually play games. I remember the KY-IN all star series was a big deal when I was a kid. My family used to go every year at Freedom Hall.

But, it’s lost so much prestige in the past 20 years and Indiana absolutely owns Kentucky on the boys’ side, leading 103-45 all time. If the top, top kids in both states don’t want to play in it, why play it?
Yeah, it used to be a really big deal and played in front of a lot of fans. Today, I’m not sure why they even bother having the games.

I’d like to see the specifics on cal taking to Perry out of not coming…but if so…he was not going to use the full scholarship limit….sp why try to push him away?

This. We need some actually real talk instead of message board fodder.

Reactions: Zissou87
Disappointed in Noah. Step up and play unless injured. Whole state wants to see and meet you. Dropped a bit. Team sure could use him. Attendance would rise. Jump in there to help your new mate.

Hope he had a legit reason. Once in a lifetime experience. I assume he’s good enough.

Good for Perry. Leader. No fear in that kid. Enjoying his time at the top. Competitor. Pulling for him big time.

Reactions: UK90
There used to be an all star game called The Derby Classic. It featured a team made up of guys from Kentucky and Indiana that played against guys from the rest of the United States. It was played at Freedom Hall. I got to go to the 1980 game. The Ky/ In team had Dicky Beal, Jim Master, Ervin Stepp, and Mike LaFave. The US team had Sam Perkins, Earl Jones, Doc Rivers, Bret Bearup, Matt Dougherty, and Steve Stipanovich. Usually Ky/In had enough good players to keep it competitive. I believe it was considered the top all star game for high school seniors back then.

The Derby Classic got cancelled after 2018 because of lack of attendance. I actually went to the last one because SGA was in it.

It used to get much better players. But the ncaa restricts how many all star events players can compete in and once The capital classic joined with Jordan Brand and rebranded in the early 2000’s that eventually became the preferred 2nd event to the MacDonalds game by players over the derby classic it seemed. Maybe some others too.

I don’t think Shai got invited to the McD’a game. He was so much better than every player on the floor in that Derby Classic too. Told my buddy i went with that day that there was no way we were getting him for more than one season. High school scouts missed on him and for the life of me i can’t understand it. 6’6 point guard with a 7’ wing span that had everything in his bag it seemed. But i digress

I attended many of the KY/IN games over the years. Two that stand out: the 53 and 30 performance by George McGinnis and the 1973 game when KY with Male's Wesley Cox and Shawnee's Ronnie Daniel crushed IN with national player of the year Kent Benson in Freedom Hall.

There used to be an all star game called The Derby Classic. It featured a team made up of guys from Kentucky and Indiana that played against guys from the rest of the United States. It was played at Freedom Hall. I got to go to the 1980 game. The Ky/ In team had Dicky Beal, Jim Master, Ervin Stepp, and Mike LaFave. The US team had Sam Perkins, Earl Jones, Doc Rivers, Bret Bearup, Matt Dougherty, and Steve Stipanovich. Usually Ky/In had enough good players to keep it competitive. I believe it was considered the top all star game for high school seniors back then.
Saw that one. Saw Bowie/Minnefield, Hord among others play the year before as well. Pretty sure Dominique Wilkens was there too

Reactions: KT34
Disappointed in Noah. Step up and play unless injured. Whole state wants to see and meet you. Dropped a bit. Team sure could use him. Attendance would rise. Jump in there to help your new mate.

Hope he had a legit reason. Once in a lifetime experience. I assume he’s good enough.

Good for Perry. Leader. No fear in that kid. Enjoying his time at the top. Competitor. Pulling for him big time.
Really? We used to talk bad about guys sitting out meaningful games at UK because they were protecting themselves for the NBA. Now we’re talking bad about guys sitting out of meaningless games to save themselves to play for UK.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
He was probably due to move in at USC jr around this time and gave up his slot is my stab at it.

Otherwise maybe just generally not a priority over a planned trip with friends or family or something.

Reactions: ncaaky
He was probably due to move in at USC jr around this time and gave up his slot is my stab at it.

Otherwise maybe just generally not a priority over a planned trip with friends or family or something.
I asked someone locally I know that coaches in his county. They said he had made a commitment to his local tourism board to be part of their yearly festival. Said he signed autographs for a bunch of kids and unveiled his number for his hometown crowd. Apparently he chose #9.

The Derby Classic got cancelled after 2018 because of lack of attendance. I actually went to the last one because SGA was in it.

It used to get much better players. But the ncaa restricts how many all star events players can compete in and once The capital classic joined with Jordan Brand and rebranded in the early 2000’s that eventually became the preferred 2nd event to the MacDonalds game by players over the derby classic it seemed. Maybe some others too.

I don’t think Shai got invited to the McD’a game. He was so much better than every player on the floor in that Derby Classic too. Told my buddy i went with that day that there was no way we were getting him for more than one season. High school scouts missed on him and for the life of me i can’t understand it. 6’6 point guard with a 7’ wing span that had everything in his bag it seemed. But i digress
That is because ul wanted to make it a ul centered game. They chased off the UK and IU fans and laffed when we left. Now people affiliated with the Derby classic can't understand what happened.

Players have to pay to play in that game. In 09-10 it was $275 per player. Some got sponsors but I know some didn't accept because of it. And at that time, you were only allowed to play in 2 all star games. The really good players picked KY-IN and Derby Classic, McDonalds, etc

Reactions: JDHoss
????

noah.jpg

Remember that game. Interested to see SGA as he was less heralded than the other UK recruits that year. And clearly he was the best player in that game by far. Really a surprise.

Players have to pay to play in that game. In 09-10 it was $275 per player. Some got sponsors but I know some didn't accept because of it. And at that time, you were only allowed to play in 2 all star games. The really good players picked KY-IN and Derby Classic, McDonalds, etc
KY-IN game in the summer never counted as one of the two you were allowed to play.
I think they can play as many as they want now.

Reactions: RipThru
Looking at the JR All-Star game, Noah’s cousin and high school teammate Maddox Huff had 22 points with 6-11 three point shooting.

Talent scout and AAU director Steve Q had a ton of good things to say about Noah. Has actually coached him. He said that he is a lot better than a lot of people think. Said not just a very consistent shooter but plays within himself, can create his own shot, has playmaking ability and effects the game positively on both ends of the floor. Was the point guard on the varsity in the eighth grade. Said he will force Pope to play him some because of what he brings to the table and a good chance he will be a pro one day. Mentioned the need for him to continue building his upper body strength.

Last edited:
Exactly! I don't get it, you have availabile scholarships and try to talk a shooter like Perry from coming. Makes more sense to just not offer like he did w Noah

Woah. Easy now. Will Levis did that for a meaningless bowl game and people called him every nasty thing they could think of.
Not I, dude was beat up and down all year.

Wished him well and still less than pleased my Raiders went with a gimpy project DE instead of grabbing him.

Reactions: bbncal02
Would love to see Perry and Noah become the next Pelphrey and Feldhaus.
I want them to be Perry and Noah and that Perry and Noah be guys that Pelphrey and Feldhaus look upon wistfully wishing they had that kind of talent and skill in their day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT