ADVERTISEMENT

Nineteen years ago today. Kentucky Wildcats 86 Duke Blue Devils 84.

We out on a ride through the mountains at halftime and got back home just at the start of the run which this team got their name!

I was a sophomore at UK. It was the Sunday after Spring Break, so people were just getting back to campus. Awesome game and night.

It was amazing how we cut a 17 point deficit to basically nothing in the span of about 3 minutes of clock. The '98 team will always be my favorite because winning that title was so unexpected. It was supposed to be a cakewalk for either UNC or Duke.

Reactions: howercat
Forgot how much I disliked Billy Packer.

Still get kind of emotional watching that game. What a run.....hopefully we have another one like it soon.

GOCATS!!!!!!

Thank you so much for putting this up. Great trip down memory lane. Now into the black hole I go.

I was there. A Duke fan in our section was obnoxious right up until the end. He ended up flying us the bird as he walked down the steps to leave the game. What a walk of shame. It was great.

I remember going outside to sit after Duke got up 17 or so. My wife came out and said UK had come back. I didn't believe her at first.

Still get chills watching that game. I didn't remember the part where Packer said, 'Wojo slaps the floor for some defensive intensity...', followed immediately by Turner taking it to the rack and scoring on him...hilarious!

If you put up a Mount Rushmore of non final four UK wins, this game would be on it. As I recall during UK's comeback there was 5 straight UK possessions that we scored 3-3-3-4-3, points. In other words UK scored 16 points in 5 possessions. Duke started chocking like a rat ( pun intended ) swallowing a basketball. It was a thing of beauty.

I was working in Crystal River Florida at the time and I got tickets and went to this game. My buddy drove in from Alabama for the game even though he had to drive 7 hours back to Mobile right afterward to be at work the next morning.

The 2 "Duke fans" sitting in front of us told us after the game that they were really just IU fans who were there to cheer against UK. They were on their feet chanting "ACC, ACC" just as loudly as the other Dukies during the first half.

Great times!

Game was huge payback for the 92 loss. Meant every thing to uk fans.

I'm a pastor, and that game was going strong when I had to leave for church that evening. Yes, it was incredibly difficult for me. We had started our run when I left the house. I stood up to pray a few minutes into the service and a UL fan entered the sanctuary and gave me two thumbs up. Will never forget that night.

No exaggeration - aside from my kids being born, in the words of Rocky Balboa:

"This is the greatest night...in the history of my life!"

My son called me from a phone booth in London, England (studying abroad) at half time and asked me the score. I told him maybe next year. While we were talking UK started hitting a few shots so I told him to stay on the line. I relayed play by play until the end of the game. We were both screaming at the top of our lungs. After we won he went into the streets of London, England screaming UK won, UK won. The Brits that were still awake at that time of night must have thought what the heck? What did we win?

As you can expect I had a huge phone bill to pay. But it was worth it because of the memories that have lasted a lifetime. Just another day in the life of a UK fan.

Reactions: ORCAT10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT