ADVERTISEMENT

NIL tweet for JQ

The kids should get money because they make these schools millions, but idk how you can justify the way things are going right now ... if they want that type of money they need to sign a contract for a certain amount of time and also now since you want grown folk money you have grown folk expectations, if you fail to produce and you dont play well, you ain't getting all that money.
According to this article from a few years ago, only 18 D1 programs had a profit. I'm really curious about where all the money is coming from to pay these kids and why anyone thinks it is a good investment.

I get putting the coach's face or Anthony Davis' face on some Paul Miller Ford billboards and it helps to sell a few cars, but it can't be generating the kind of money that these kids are getting/demanding.

giphy.gif
There's nothing you can watch that explains it better than that episode right there.

I'll tell you this... I feel better with Amari Williams and or The Great Oscar than I do JQ.
Williams and Great have mature bodies and college experience plus size.
Idk why The Cow was even recruiting high school big men...for real!!!
I say let the other schools raise them for a year and then we'll take em!
New Age.
New Ideas.
New recruiting strategies.

Last edited:
It will be funny when ark wins all these bidding wars and then craps the bed in post season.
And, I hope that happens to them. This bidding for high school kids has gotten crazy. I'm glad JQ isn't coming to UK now with that sort of news, if it's 100% true. No kid deserves that kind of money without anything to show from it. In what businesses do we give that sort of money to completely unproven employees? Doesn't happen.

Reactions: dl51344
the top qb now are demanding 10-15 million UT just got this one for 8 million per year
How much money did Nico Iamaleava get?

$8 million

Iamaleava signs blockbuster NIL deal, then commits to Vols

The Athletic later names him as the player who signed the $8 million NIL deal.

If I'm an incoming freshman and money is the most important factor, I don't sign until late. Wait for all of the coaching changes, transfers, etc. Schools will be much more wiling to pay top dollar then imo.

Reactions: ib4ky
The transfers and NIL situation are already out of control and the NCAA has already rolled over and surrendered. It's going to be the wild west and some schools will have to drop sports all together because of all this silly sh--, that's only going to get worse. It's highest bidder wins, no cap, just like musical chairs for players changing schools with no penalties. Ticket prices will be going up and all of this will lead to coaches being replaced every two or three years and the spoiled rotten players will be calling all the shots, it's a sad day for college basketball.
Looks like lawsuits in the courts might change everything in a couple of years. Players will end up being employees of the schools.

Since these are now paid professional mercenaries, would it be OK to boo the shit out of them?
I was just kidding. I don’t buy tickets to basketball and I’d say my days as a season ticket holder in football. Is very limited to this upcoming season. I’ll be checking out of it too.

1. You can see the video below....He is a very raw kid but is a horse in terms of size at such a young age
2. Secondly, Cal is the one mentioning to possibly use him as PF...which is even more nutty. He clearly has no PF skills. No handles, not a good shot.....even the thought of him moving laterally to defend that position.

I'm not able to tell if he's worth 500K (you'd have to know how much a team is able to spend and what other players are making) to be able to give an argument if a player is worth the money he is asking for.

My opinion of Quantance is I like him moreso as a 2 year prospect vs. Cal's run of the mill 1 and done raw kids. But if he wants to go to UL next year for 500k.....then let him go there and be an average at best college big. Then his Sophmore year....(if he shows something) then up the bid and hit the portal to scoop him up before he's off the NBA.

• Wow
Reactions: catben
I agree with what many are saying. Kids need to sign contracts now. Obviously Letters of Intent are worthless these days. You sign a kid to a NIL deal and they need to have a certain commitment on their side. A 2 year contract shouldn’t be too much to ask. Every year free agency is unsustainable in pro sports and it’s no different in college athletics. Love the culture Pope is trying to build here.

Just FYI, but he’s a 2 year freshman…..He won’t be 18 by the draft deadline next year.
Because of the whole SHADY Sharpe situation, I would have nothing to do with a kid who has any question about NBA eligibility bla bla bla. They could change that any time and we'd be out of the money and a player.

1. You can see the video below....He is a very raw kid but is a horse in terms of size at such a young age
2. Secondly, Cal is the one mentioning to possibly use him as PF...which is even more nutty. He clearly has no PF skills. No handles, not a good shot.....even the thought of him moving laterally to defend that position.

I'm not able to tell if he's worth 500K (you'd have to know how much a team is able to spend and what other players are making) to be able to give an argument if a player is worth the money he is asking for.

My opinion of Quantance is I like him moreso as a 2 year prospect vs. Cal's run of the mill 1 and done raw kids. But if he wants to go to UL next year for 500k.....then let him go there and be an average at best college big. Then his Sophmore year....(if he shows something) then up the bid and hit the portal to scoop him up before he's off the NBA.

He is VERY WEAK!!

Has good hands for his age but his shooting form looks bad. His FT stroke looks way better than his jumper. But he is NOT worth $1 million in NIL. The kid looks like a project in this video.

Reactions: K_TIME
That requirement will get overturned as soon as someone challenges it
He won’t be 19 on or before December 31 the calendar year of the draft.
It can’t be challenged it’s collectively bargained, they could attempt to change it during negotiations for the next cba but that would have to be agreed upon by the union and owners.

If it's going to be the wild west, it should be the wild west for everyone. Multi-year contracts, big buyouts, incentive based premiums, penalties for early withdrawal. You want big money, you gotta give up more than a promise of your presence for 1 year.
Yeah. The commercial concerns ponying up the money could put a time term in their contracts. I don't know who would sign such a contract, but I also don't know why it couldn't be tried.

Pay them according to team success: win the championship you get more, first round loss a whole lot less. Make them earn it for the team. I like the idea of contracts too. If they are going to get that much money they should be obligated to the team.

I highly doubt QB's are going for 10 million NIL because there is zero % chance we NIL'd our new QB what it would take to get a sought after QB but not NIL Reed what it takes to match an NBA salary. lots of fluff and bravado... d*ck measuring if you will where you dont have to whip out the proof so its ok to make up numbers lol

For a low, low price of $1.5mm, you get 17 year old Jayden Quaintance AND his helicopter father!

Seriously, what kind of an idiot would make that deal? That type of player could end up hurting the team more than helping.

Avoiding this one gives me more confidence in Pope’s personnel/ salary management.

If JQ develops well over this coming year......... how about we 1 year from now offer him 2 million NIL and not have to suffer through a year of a freshman fumbling through learning when we can have Osobar who is literally already at the product people hope JQ can be in his year 2.

Players now getting paid. Open market bidding. Yet we'll still hear 'student athletes' at times.
I wonder...when these players get into college, which is quite a leap from H.S., and don't perform nearly as expected....how quickly will the fan base (ours and others) turn on them?

Paying for a 'college' player is totally different than the pros. Or is it?
Why not just forget the transfer portal and play whenever or whomever pays you the most money at anytime for any reason. Until these conferences say we are done with 16 year olds giving demands, NIL agents, and the foolishness of the entire situation it will get worse.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
According to this article from a few years ago, only 18 D1 programs had a profit. I'm really curious about where all the money is coming from to pay these kids and why anyone thinks it is a good investment.

I get putting the coach's face or Anthony Davis' face on some Paul Miller Ford billboards and it helps to sell a few cars, but it can't be generating the kind of money that these kids are getting/demanding.
Well that is silly, university sports departments don't show "profits" because they are nonprofit governmental entities, lol. They ain't NFL franchises - they make a lot of money, and spend it ALL. Want a better accurate number, look at total REVENUES and DONATIONS generated by athletic depts. Spoiler - they have gone up, huge, due to conference TV deals. UK revenues last yr were something like $133M.

Anyway you confused 2 separate issues, athletic funds don't go to NIL. NIL is outside spending by companies or individuals or fan collectives. Why do they pay NIL, cause they want their fav teams to have good sports ball players. So they can be entertained.

As bad as I hate to admit it, I don’t see this changing. The big programs all have some ultra wealthy boosters who make more in interest in a month then what they are putting into NIL. If their Alma mater needs money, they will keep pouring into it. I’d say it’s just getting started, and in 10 years, somebody will get $5M in NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT