ADVERTISEMENT

NIL rule article. Lools like heading for a mess

Totally disagree with this. A player at UK is going to make more money than a player at UCLA. It's not about the size of the market. It's about the size and passion of the fanbase and the competition that exists in that market.
And I totally disagree with you. BBN may be large and passionate but its also pretty poor, as a rule. Money will come from boosters, boosters networks and local businesses. Are you really thinking UK will be at an advantage over UCLA, USC, Texas, Houston or any large market that cares about local sports? You're going to see package deals that cross multiple sports.

I haven't even gotten to the new role agents will have and there will be nothing to stop them.

Last edited:
Do what you want, just don't axt like someone put a gun to your head and forced you to play NCAA ball.
Or.... or.... advocate for changing a system that the participants believe is unfair.

So if you don't like what happens when NIL goes into affect, do something else. Just don't axt like someone put a gun to your head and forced you to watch NCAA ball.

“You’re going to have to show how your program can provide opportunities for players in that realm, right?” Pitino said. “So we’re all trying to figure that out. We all sell whatever we’re offering to kids. … Now it’s going to be about the opportunities in the community, and it’s our responsibility to educate the players.”

Plona said today’s successful coaches do everything in their power, within the rules, to find and exploit every advantage they can for their program.

And if endorsement deals became legal, he said, they’d simply provide one more way to gain an advantage.

“I would think trying to make sure kids are aware of every potential dollar they could get would be a part of (recruiting),” Plona said.

Vaccaro believes, if a prospect has financial value, he or she should have the option to make the most of it. On the flip side, others worry boosters and local companies could take advantage of families and athletes in most need of money. Oliver is concerned money would play too big a factor, and that recruiting could become bidding wars.

“Almost, 'Who can offer the most?'" Oliver said.

Role of boosters: 'Opening up a whole can of worms'​

Experts said boosters’ recruiting presence would increase — and come out from under the rug — if name, image and likeness compensation is allowed.

That’s a scary proposition for some, including Oliver, Pulley and Scott Strohmeier, head coach of junior college football powerhouse Iowa Western, which has 11 of 247Sports’ top-100 juco prospects in the 2020 class.

“You could literally just have them over to your house and say, ‘Hey, I want you to do this TV piece for me, selling cars. And by the way, here’s $20,000,’” Strohmeier said. “With some of these boosters and some of these fans, you’re opening up a whole can of worms.”

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Just as a clarification, it's not the schools that will be paying the players. They will get paid through things like autograph sessions, social media accounts (this will be a big one for women athletes), advertising for a company, etc.
It surprises me that people still fail to understand this. There is no salary cap, there is no Title IX implication, the NCAA is not going to be permitted to police or regulate NIL. These are deals that athletes will be making with 3rd parties.

The free market will dictate what a player can make. Adidas believed Brian Bowen was worth paying $100,000.00 to go to UofL. That's likely more than what Nike or Under Armor were offering. I expect some kids will end up with multi-million dollar endorsements from major companies, but most will be much smaller and local deals. I will be interested to see how this all shakes out. The paranoid faction of our fanbase believes Nike prefers for kids to go to Duke or Oregon. I don't necessarily buy into that, but we will find out soon enough.

“You’re going to have to show how your program can provide opportunities for players in that realm, right?” Pitino said. “So we’re all trying to figure that out. We all sell whatever we’re offering to kids. … Now it’s going to be about the opportunities in the community, and it’s our responsibility to educate the players.”

Plona said today’s successful coaches do everything in their power, within the rules, to find and exploit every advantage they can for their program.

And if endorsement deals became legal, he said, they’d simply provide one more way to gain an advantage.

“I would think trying to make sure kids are aware of every potential dollar they could get would be a part of (recruiting),” Plona said.

Vaccaro believes, if a prospect has financial value, he or she should have the option to make the most of it. On the flip side, others worry boosters and local companies could take advantage of families and athletes in most need of money. Oliver is concerned money would play too big a factor, and that recruiting could become bidding wars.

“Almost, 'Who can offer the most?'" Oliver said.

Role of boosters: 'Opening up a whole can of worms'​

Experts said boosters’ recruiting presence would increase — and come out from under the rug — if name, image and likeness compensation is allowed.

That’s a scary proposition for some, including Oliver, Pulley and Scott Strohmeier, head coach of junior college football powerhouse Iowa Western, which has 11 of 247Sports’ top-100 juco prospects in the 2020 class.

“You could literally just have them over to your house and say, ‘Hey, I want you to do this TV piece for me, selling cars. And by the way, here’s $20,000,’” Strohmeier said. “With some of these boosters and some of these fans, you’re opening up a whole can of worms.”
All of that sounds really great for the players. I can't wait for this change to happen.

I like how they characterize an endorsement negotiation as "taking advantage of families and athletes in most need of money." When I hire employees I also "take advantage of" applicants in need of money. That's how this whole capitalistic enterprise works.

All of that sounds really great for the players. I can't wait for this change to happen.

I like how they characterize an endorsement negotiation as "taking advantage of families and athletes in most need of money." When I hire employees I also "take advantage of" applicants in need of money. That's how this whole capitalistic enterprise works.
You will enjoy it until it will become obvious kids are going to the big market schools or staying close to home since that is where they are going to be the most marketable. With Kentucky not necessarily a large market and not that many 5 star athletes coming from this area, we might get outbid for a lot of these kinds of athletes.

if this will bring back college basketball video games, i’ll be the first to sign the bill.

And I totally disagree with you. BBN may be large and passionate but its also pretty poor, as a rule. Money will come from boosters, boosters networks and local businesses. Are you really thinking UK will be at an advantage over UCLA, USC, Texas, Houston or any large market that cares about local sports? You're going to see package deals that cross multiple sports.

I haven't even gotten to the new role agents will have and there will be nothing to stop them.
I think the state of Texas is a totally different conversation. The size and passion (craziness at times) of a lot of their fanbases when it comes to football is similar to UK basketball, and you add in the wealth of those individuals, and yes they will benefit. Large market, large alumni and lots of passion. As for a USC and UCLA, USC football has the ability to be a major player in this, but I don't think UCLA basketball is a threat in this. In terms of popularity, UCLA basketball is way down the ladder in the LA area in terms of the marketability of players. UCLA also has a different type of alumni too. They just don't really care about sports there.

Kentucky will fair just fine in this. Alabama football will fair just fine in this. Just because you're in a large market doesn't mean you have an advantage. You have to have the passionate fanbase and alumni who care about the program too. Most large cities are professional sports cities. The entire Northeast is out of the equation, because from DC up, no one cares about college sports.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Bad idea. I've never held a beer without drinking it. But what, outside their rinky dink conference, have they won? When was the last time any mid major at all won anything worth winning?

Marquette won in '77.
BYU got gave a football championship in '84.
What else?

It's already the haves and the have nots. A couple have nots crash the party sometimes. How will allowing people to cash in on themselves change that?
but in basketball, there are many "small" schools that do well almost every year. Zags are just the most well known. Nova, is only 11K students

Honestly, what's so hard?
Prospective and current college student-athletes are the only group in America that can't profit from their own name, image, and/or likeness. Every single other person can without penalty from anywhere, even those on other kinds of scholarship.

So what you do is take that language out of the goddamn bylaws and stop being stupid. Easy. Nothing will change. You ain't even gotta pay them salaries, they do get compensation in other forms from the universities. Just let them make money. The haves will still have, the have nots will still have not. Maybe some haves and have nots trade places.

It's kind of infuriating how simple a thing this really is, and how hard these morons are trying to make it.
Pretty much, let those who can make it make it, who cares what they do with it either. They will either make good or bad mistakes and learn how to pay taxes lol.

As a college sports fan, I hate this. I understand it, I think the athlete should benefit, but I still hate this. Call me old school, tell me to get off your lawn, but I loved when college athletics wasn't all about making the almighty dollar.

Reactions: RunninRichie
You will enjoy it until it will become obvious kids are going to the big market schools or staying close to home since that is where they are going to be the most marketable. With Kentucky not necessarily a large market and not that many 5 star athletes coming from this area, we might get outbid for a lot of these kinds of athletes.
Maybe. But that doesn't change what is right and what is wrong in my mind. And I care more about doing what's right than what is best for my favorite sports team.

No, Lexington does not have the supporting businesses to offer the endorsements that bigger cities and markets will be able to provide. Schools that are located in large TV markets will benefit this the most.

The recruiting pitch will be if you come to my school, I can guarantee that you will get a six figure endorsement deal from this company and that company. Schools will be trying to outbid each other by lining up endorsement deals. The schools will be scrambling behind the scenes to line up businesses to help them recruit...
At the end of the day UK is a huge Nike brand for basketball, that alone will get recruits we need. Shoe deals, advertising, etc..

Plenty of what? I didn't count Parham since he's going from a smaller school to a larger one which isn't what your post is about. The other 6 guys averaged 22.2/game as an aggregate. A third of that came just from Manning and his numbers are going down, not up. Their high school ranking is totally irrelevant.
The poster said, "It will be just like this transfer portal. Kids are not transferring to the smaller schools. They are transferring to the larger schools..." which is just not true. I gave South Alabama as an example of school who has had plenty of transfers.

I think the state of Texas is a totally different conversation. The size and passion (craziness at times) of a lot of their fanbases when it comes to football is similar to UK basketball, and you add in the wealth of those individuals, and yes they will benefit. Large market, large alumni and lots of passion. As for a USC and UCLA, USC football has the ability to be a major player in this, but I don't think UCLA basketball is a threat in this. In terms of popularity, UCLA basketball is way down the ladder in the LA area in terms of the marketability of players. UCLA also has a different type of alumni too. They just don't really care about sports there.

Kentucky will fair just fine in this. Alabama football will fair just fine in this. Just because you're in a large market doesn't mean you have an advantage. You have to have the passionate fanbase and alumni who care about the program too. Most large cities are professional sports cities. The entire Northeast is out of the equation, because from DC up, no one cares about college sports.
There are lots of factors but the university president and AD calling on you to help revive a program will go a long way. A large and super wealthy market will only make that easier. UK can't depend on the coal money any more. Local businesses are limited. We don't have a large group of super wealthy boosters. Alabama will have similar issues. Texas, A&M, Baylor and others will have the opportunity to become the major players with elite talent. Once its all about the money, that's all we'll get, the pursuit of money. You'll see.

The poster said, "It will be just like this transfer portal. Kids are not transferring to the smaller schools. They are transferring to the larger schools..." which is just not true. I gave South Alabama as an example of school who has had plenty of transfers.
Transfers of low quality players maybe. That is going to happen.

At the end of the day UK is a huge Nike brand for basketball, that alone will get recruits we need. Shoe deals, advertising, etc..
So you think they'll spend more with UK than Oregon? I'm not so sure about that, let alone the myriad other schools they are tied to that includes UNCheat, Duke, Baylor, Texas, Villanova, Ohio State, Arizona, Alabama and others. Nike would be foolish to push too much to any one of those schools or UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT