ADVERTISEMENT

NIL rule article. Lools like heading for a mess

Interesting. In talking about the O’Bannon case, it said how the NCAA action was to “litigate litigate litigate”. Which reminded me, a few years later What did UNCheat plan and threaten to do, litigate litigate litigate. So the NCAA backed down.

Good. I hope it's chaos. They desere it for dragging their feet for a decade, lying to the kids and the public, and only agreeing to "change" at the very last minute to preserve a sinking ship.

The funny thing is, it'll be the "YOU CANT PAY THE KIDS" crowd blaming this mess on allowing NIL instead of blaming the NCAA for fighting against it tooth and nail only to throw something together overnight.

This was always the right move. This was always what needed to and had to happen. This was always inevitable. They just refused to listen until they realized they were powerless.

Honestly, what's so hard?
Prospective and current college student-athletes are the only group in America that can't profit from their own name, image, and/or likeness. Every single other person can without penalty from anywhere, even those on other kinds of scholarship.

So what you do is take that language out of the bylaws and stop being stupid. Easy. Nothing will change. You ain't even gotta pay them salaries, they do get compensation in other forms from the universities. Just let them make money. The haves will still have, the have nots will still have not. Maybe some haves and have nots trade places.

It's kind of infuriating how simple a thing this really is, and how hard these morons are trying to make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prospective and current college student-athletes are the only group in America that can't profit from their own name, image, and/or likeness. Every single other person can without penalty from anywhere, even those on other kinds of scholarship.

So what you do is take that language out of the goddamn bylaws and stop being stupid. Easy. Nothing will change. You ain't even gotta pay them salaries, they do get compensation in other forms from the universities. Just let them make money. The haves will still have, the have nots will still have not. Maybe some haves and have nots trade places.

It's kind of infuriating how simple a thing this really is, and how hard these morons are trying to make it.
Geez Louise who took a whiz in your Wheaties this morning?

So what you do is take that language out of the goddamn bylaws and stop being stupid. Easy. Nothing will change. You ain't even gotta pay them salaries, they do get compensation in other forms from the universities. Just let them make money. The haves will still have, the have nots will still have not. Maybe some haves and have nots trade places.

Agree. The NCAA thinks they need rules for NIL but they haven’t taken action on a case where they have Will Wade on tape buying a player They lost all control years ago but they simply won’t acknowledge it.

Without rules, colleges can recruit kids by saying they will make sure that the kid will make X amount of dollars through endorsements if they come to their school effectively allowing athletes to go to the highest bidder...

This will be no different than enticing a recruit through money to come to their school...

The big schools will win and the small to medium schools will not. It will be just like this transfer portal. Kids are not transferring to the smaller schools. They are transferring to the larger schools...

Without rules, colleges can recruit kids by saying they will make sure that the kid will make X amount of dollars through endorsements if they come to their school effectively allowing athletes to go to the highest bidder...

This will be no different than enticing a recruit through money to come to their school...

The big schools will win and the small to medium schools will not. It will be just like this transfer portal. Kids are not transferring to the smaller schools. They are transferring to the larger schools...

So? The big schools are already winning and the small schools are already not.

Reactions: Fox2monk and TIE543

There are more players in the transfer portal than there are roster spots for Power 5 teams. Everyone is not transferring to the larger schools.

Reactions: Fox2monk and TM2013
The movie Blue Chips will be crumbs after a meal compared to what's coming. Anyone think the doofus Emmert has any idea what compliance is? He's proven time and again he's the ultimate puppet for dirty programs. Reminds me of UNC AD John Swofford who was complicit with Dean Smith. A complete do-nothing.

Reactions: Fox2monk and Blueaz
I really didn't know much about this. I don't seem to know much about anything any more. Senioritis I guess. I was a little shocked with some of this after reading this article.

Link to article

Agree. The NCAA thinks they need rules for NIL but they haven’t taken action on a case where they have Will Wade on tape buying a player They lost all control years ago but they simply won’t acknowledge it.
I agree. I'm to the point of why bother with new rules, they don't enforce the ones they do have, at least with certain schools (i.e. Kansas, Duke, UNC, LSU, etc). Oh yeah, but they throw the book at others.

Reactions: Fox2monk
What I like about this is that it forces the NCAA to address or at least admit that amateurism in high major college sports is a facade. These are pro athletes and competition from junior professional leagues is going to make them come to copes with that.

The kids you hear about here and in articles arent, but lots of kids are transferring to smaller schools. There are simply more kids than spots at the big programs.

And don't listen to the small schools that cry, either. The same ones who whine when Kentucky takes their PG will gladly poach the overperforming PG from the schools smaller than them.

Plus, recruiting has never and will never be even. John Calipari and Kentucky have resources, access, infrastructure, relationships, connections, etc. that these schools already don't have. East State Poly Tech isn't going after the kids we are anyway.

The movie Blue Chips will be crumbs after a meal compared to what's coming. Anyone think the doofus Emmert has any idea what compliance is? He's proven time and again he's the ultimate puppet for dirty programs. Reminds me of UNC AD John Swofford who was complicit with Dean Smith. A complete do-nothing.

Isn't that all just an argument that the cheating you're worried about is already happening, has been for decades, and is so prevalent and acknowledged that there are major Hollywood movies made about it?

There's basically never been compliance. They've occasionally punished a sacrificial lamb or someone who got too brazen, but this is all happening because schools realized that if you push back, the NCAA has to cave. They can't police it, so they're finally pretending to adjust to what we've all always known.

Ultimately, it's a too-little, too-late last gasp effort to save a dying organization.

They can absolutely profit off their.name and likeness, no one forces them to play NCAA athletics. If the NCAA is so awful don't play NCAA ball.

They can absolutely profit off their.name and likeness, no one forces them to play NCAA athletics. If the NCAA is so awful don't play NCAA ball.
If you notice, more and more aren’t. But NCAA isn’t considering this out of the goodness of their heart. They are losing money due to licensing terms and have a growing threat from junior pro leagues.

Is the NCAA the only option in America for the overwhelming majority of college-aged athletes? If so, isn't that a monopoly? Shouldn't athletes be allowed to unionize?

The flaw in your argument is why the NCAA is doing this in the first place. They can't *really* take the "pound sand" approach because it messes up their legal standing, money, protection, etc. They've tried to have it both ways (and have) for decades, but now that folks are willing to push it, they have no other choice.

Is the NCAA the only option in America for the overwhelming majority of college-aged athletes? If so, isn't that a monopoly? Shouldn't athletes be allowed to unionize?

The flaw in your argument is why the NCAA is doing this in the first place. They can't *really* take the "pound sand" approach because it messes up their legal standing, money, protection, etc. They've tried to have it both ways (and have) for decades, but now that folks are willing to push it, they have no other choice.
In the O'Bannon case the NCAA conceded that they were a monopoly. The NCAA acts as a cartel, again which they conceded.

The question is whether the NCAA can legally forbid the athletes from generating outside income. For its entire existence the answer to this question has been: yes. But that is changing and fast, and now there are dozens of states forbidding their state schools from enforcing this NCAA rule. Many go into effect in 6 weeks. The NCAA can take the "pound sand" approach if they want to have the entire system dissolved.

I don't see a single problem with any of this. What you described sounds a lot like a free market. If a computer engineer is looking for a job, what stops Google, Facebook, Microsoft from enticing that guy to come to their company? The big tech companies will win and the small to medium tech companies will not.

Isn't that all just an argument that the cheating you're worried about is already happening, has been for decades, and is so prevalent and acknowledged that there are major Hollywood movies made about it?

There's basically never been compliance. They've occasionally punished a sacrificial lamb or someone who got too brazen, but this is all happening because schools realized that if you push back, the NCAA has to cave. They can't police it, so they're finally pretending to adjust to what we've all always known.

Ultimately, it's a too-little, too-late last gasp effort to save a dying organization.
I go too far back to recall that the NCAA threatening the death penalty under Eddie Sutton, yet the President at the time Roselle caved to the NCAA.
Somehow the NCAA continues to get fatter with TV contracts and their budgets continue to grow making sure they are well fed in the end.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I go too far back to recall that the NCAA threatening the death penalty under Eddie Sutton, yet the President at the time Roselle caved to the NCAA.
Somehow the NCAA continues to get fatter with TV contracts and their budgets continue to grow making sure they are well fed in the end.

It's probably good that they're so inept because with the rise of TV money and social media, they could really have created an awful, unstoppable entity. At least their terribleness is going to be destroyed.

This is exactly what the NCAA is trying to prevent. They don't want the kids to find other outlets to prepare for the NBA. They love the millions upon millions that they make off the indentured servitude that is college athletics and they're fighting to keep every penny they can. Soccer and baseball have already provided the model for the future of basketball prior to NBA and it works just fine without any "amateur" rule making body getting in the way. The NCAA is just lucky that the NBA didn't fund a minor league before now or some other type of academy system.

It's probably good that they're so inept because with the rise of TV money and social media, they could really have created an awful, unstoppable entity. At least their terribleness is going to be destroyed.
I don't see anything shutting them down. For every attempt to take away their control, some judge allows them to dictate carte blanche and continue to allow Emmert to run roughshod.

I don't see anything shutting them down. For every attempt to take away their control, some judge allows them to dictate carte blanche and continue to allow Emmert to run roughshod.

I don't think anything will shut them down. They'll ruin themselves. At least as a major player in the sports we care about at the level we care about them. They can be an organizing body for the smaller sports and programs, but major football and basketball doesn't need the NCAA's ridiculous doublespeak at all.

Reactions: KMKAT

You should see who South Alabama got from the portal:

Tyrell Jones transferring from Auburn (**** in HS)
Jay Jay Chandler from Texas A&M (*** in HS)
Charles Manning from LSU (*** in HS)
Alden Parham from VMI
Lance Thomas from Memphis (*** in HS)
Diante Smith from TCU (*** in HS)
Javon Franklin from Auburn (*** in HS)

That's just 1 team. Plenty of guys are transferring to smaller programs.

Gonzaga says, hold my beer

Bad idea. I've never held a beer without drinking it. But what, outside their rinky dink conference, have they won? When was the last time any mid major at all won anything worth winning?

Marquette won in '77.
BYU got gave a football championship in '84.
What else?

It's already the haves and the have nots. A couple have nots crash the party sometimes. How will allowing people to cash in on themselves change that?

What about a salary cap for teams? Or limit it to 8 total players, up to 5 new a year can get paid or something along those lines.

Smaller schools won't be able to pay as much, so try to even it out. Even if they can't meet what the big schools can pay, they can still try to pry away a lower tier player. A player that's still a legit D1 player but that might not see as much money being #6 or #7 on a team. Or one that might fall outside of the group being paid.

I could see that actually posing problems for bigger schools. The talent could significantly fall off after the higher paid guys. But maybe that would help create parity so teams have 1 or 2 superstar types and the rest be role players.

I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Good. I hope it's chaos. They desere it for dragging their feet for a decade, lying to the kids and the public, and only agreeing to "change" at the very last minute to preserve a sinking ship.

The funny thing is, it'll be the "YOU CANT PAY THE KIDS" crowd blaming this mess on allowing NIL instead of blaming the NCAA for fighting against it tooth and nail only to throw something together overnight.

This was always the right move. This was always what needed to and had to happen. This was always inevitable. They just refused to listen until they realized they were powerless.
That's your opinion. I disagree totally. Ignorant politicians are creating the chaos now and no, players absolutely should not be paid like this but they will be. Once it starts, you'll see the real chaos but hey, at least the entitled generations will be be happy.

What about a salary cap for teams? Or limit it to 8 total players, up to 5 new a year can get paid or something along those lines.

Smaller schools won't be able to pay as much, so try to even it out. Even if they can't meet what the big schools can pay, they can still try to pry away a lower tier player. A player that's still a legit D1 player but that might not see as much money being #6 or #7 on a team. Or one that might fall outside of the group being paid.

I could see that actually posing problems for bigger schools. The talent could significantly fall off after the higher paid guys. But maybe that would help create parity so teams have 1 or 2 superstar types and the rest be role players.

Pay with what exactly? Most schools lose money on sports.

Bad idea. I've never held a beer without drinking it. But what, outside their rinky dink conference, have they won? When was the last time any mid major at all won anything worth winning?

Marquette won in '77.
What else?

It's already the haves and the have nots. A couple have nots crash the party sometimes. How will allowing people to cash in on themselves change that?
UNLV was the last program from a non-major conference to win it all in 1990.

Marquette won in '77.
What else?

For one thing, small market traditional powers will be at a distinct disadvantage. UK would fall into that group.

Just as a clarification, it's not the schools that will be paying the players. They will get paid through things like autograph sessions, social media accounts (this will be a big one for women athletes), advertising for a company, etc.

For one thing, small market traditional powers will be at a distinct disadvantage. UK would fall into that group.
Totally disagree with this. A player at UK is going to make more money than a player at UCLA. It's not about the size of the market. It's about the size and passion of the fanbase and the competition that exists in that market.

You should see who South Alabama got from the portal:

Tyrell Jones transferring from Auburn (**** in HS)
Jay Jay Chandler from Texas A&M (*** in HS)
Charles Manning from LSU (*** in HS)
Alden Parham from VMI
Lance Thomas from Memphis (*** in HS)
Diante Smith from TCU (*** in HS)
Javon Franklin from Auburn (*** in HS)

That's just 1 team. Plenty of guys are transferring to smaller programs.
Plenty of what? I didn't count Parham since he's going from a smaller school to a larger one which isn't what your post is about. The other 6 guys averaged 22.2/game as an aggregate. A third of that came just from Manning and his numbers are going down, not up. Their high school ranking is totally irrelevant.

No, Lexington does not have the supporting businesses to offer the endorsements that bigger cities and markets will be able to provide. Schools that are located in large TV markets will benefit this the most.

The recruiting pitch will be if you come to my school, I can guarantee that you will get a six figure endorsement deal from this company and that company. Schools will be trying to outbid each other by lining up endorsement deals. The schools will be scrambling behind the scenes to line up businesses to help them recruit...

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT