ADVERTISEMENT

NIL money offers apparently not getting to players and families

It’s not hard to understand. Calipari wants to control where the money goes. He can’t have players like Reeves getting paid over his OAD freshman draft picks. The guy is here to build his NBA player draft resume he’s not here for the players. When that’s understood the pieces line up.

If Brady would have said that money is for Wagner or Edwards it would have been received.

If these allegations were true ( I highly doubt) why isn't the deal still in place? Why didn't the guy try it again a month ago. He could still sign stuff .

From reading Kentucky's NIL law, I dont see where Cal has any right to be interfering like this. If the offer can be proven as made to UK et al but not delivered to Reeves, he needs to sue them.
That's what I originally thought. UK or Cal or both would be in court explaining to a judge how they screwed me out of a ass ton of money, and one or both of them would be making it up. Cals overpaid ass should have to give it to Antonio if he's truly all about the players and he wronged that player to the tune 6 figures...if he truly is there for the kids there's no way I could cost a kid 6 figures due to my negligence and not be like holy hell we are incredibly sorry Antonio here's 100k. It's a drop in a bucket to JC.

If he's really for the players he wouldn't be able to stand a player who was a major player here get screwed due to his staffs or his negligence or I wouldn't be able to anyways And I'd fire whoever on staff that was supposed to relay the message on the spot.
You do not build trust that way... Looks kinda shady.

Last edited:
If these allegations were true ( I highly doubt) why isn't the deal still in place? Why didn't the guy try it again a month ago. He could still sign stuff .
Why do you doubt it? He has a good reputation and no issues with football. Maybe you can explain what you're seeing.

Why do you doubt it? He has a good reputation and no issues with football. Maybe you can explain what you're seeing.

As for the deal, you strike while the iron hot. He probably thought he lost the opportunity to move that volume of signed cards at whatever price he would charge.

From reading about that store, they know what they're doing. If you are thinking this is ma and pa's sports collectibles you're very wrong.

No issues with football? Isn’t this the same guy who said JMI and UK we’re keeping him from doing an NIL deal with Will Levis? More like a reputation of having an issue with whoever Matt Jones is feuding with at the time.

They're lucky they are getting to sleep in the coal lodge and haven't had their meal plans and tuition locked.

Who in the fu*k do these kids think they are?

Not wining SEC and getting bounced in first round...OF COURSE THEY'RE NOT GETTING NIL! They ain't worth it.

NIL is quickly becoming the new era "OAD"...OHHHH YOU GOT TO HAVE THEM...they screamed. No you don't. Not one freshman team of NBA lottery picks has done shit.

OHHHHHH YOU HAVE TO PAY PLAYERS...YOU HAVE TO HAVE A COLLECTIVE ON PAR WITH HEDGE FUNDS...no you don't. Look at the teams winning and advancing. How much money do you think Nc St, Illinois, and Purdue can scrape up in a collective? Baylor, SD St, FAU last year.

They can command a little something extra when dealing with local pizza places and car dealers NOW, but that's been earned, nobody knew who anyone of them were 6 months ago. Except for the tall kid at Purdue. Other than that, CBB really doesn't have any stars who can be named or are even brought up in casual sports conversation.

Women have stars, because they stick around, and generally speaking they stick to one place.

I can literally name more WBB players than men's players on UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, or bb in general.

They're lucky they are getting to sleep in the coal lodge and haven't had their meal plans and tuition locked.

Not wining SEC and getting bounced in first round...OF COURSE THEY'RE NOT GETTING NIL! They ain't worth it.

NIL is quickly becoming the new era "OAD"...OHHHH YOU GOT TO HAVE THEM...they screamed. No you don't. Not one freshman team of NBA lottery picks has done shit.

OHHHHHH YOU HAVE TO PAY PLAYERS...YOU HAVE TO HAVE A COLLECTIVE ON PAR WITH HEDGE FUNDS...no you don't. Look at the teams winning and advancing. How much money do you think Nc St, Illinois, and Purdue can scrape up in a collective? Baylor, SD St, FAU last year.

They can command a little something extra when dealing with local pizza places and car dealers NOW, but that's been earned, nobody knew who anyone of them were 6 months ago. Except for the tall kid at Purdue. Other than that, CBB really doesn't have any stars who can be named or are even brought up in casual sports conversation.

Women have stars, because they stick around, and generally speaking they stick to one place.

I can literally name more WBB players than men's players on UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, or bb in general.
Congrats for being the only person who knows any WBB. Full disclosure.. I have heard of Brit Grimes.

On edit...oops....Griner. Rick Grimes killed zombies.

Last edited:

This is a trifling post.

lol remember when she disparaged and bashed AmeRicA for years then was begging to come back after she tried sneaking THC cartridges into Russia?
And who could forget the time she challenged Boogie Cousins to a one-on-one and called him a “little man?”

Griner is the gift that keeps on giving.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Congrats for being the only person who knows any WBB. Full disclosure.. I have heard of Brit Grimes.

Hasn't always been that way. Probably over the past 2-3 years.

As the OAD and portal collied to make an absolute mess of MBB.

Not against paying players.

However, these two eras/philosophies have created a mess of MBB and from them a couple of false theories have sprung.

You have to have one or two and done talent, now combine that with you have to have deep payroll. People keep believing those two things even when at the end of the year when the rubber meets the road and shit is tested out, we see what we have seen.

We don't need 6 deep NBA, and we don't need unrealistic NIL expectations. Go down the rosters of the teams left in the tourney. See what their recruit ranking was, what their NBA prospects are, and what they're making in NIL.

I don't know, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say not many of them we're heralded top tier, can't miss, on their way to the league talent and I'm going to bet not many of them are making more than what our guys are making with local bank, car dealer, and pizza promotions.

That's what NIL should be. Kids can make whatever they're worth in the local and regional economies. It isn't about how much fans are giving to a specific fund.

Reactions: RunninRichie
From reading Kentucky's NIL law, I dont see where Cal has any right to be interfering like this. If the offer can be proven as made to UK et al but not delivered to Reeves, he needs to sue them.

The school must review and approve all nil deals and there are several restrictions when you consider how many companies can be considered marketing partners of the school. Nothing can be done without that seal of approval. Iirc they have at least 7 days to review and approve. Also iirc they would not approve Levis being a barstool athlete because they were associated with gambling, which along with alcohol is another restriction.

No reason to doubt the person. So my guess is you have a point person for basketball and one for football. Sounds like football streamlines the nil process whereas basketball only cared if it was one of Cal's chosen.

So this guy has offered Reed a million dollar deal, right? Who else would he offer 7 figures on UKs team now?

I know it's not likely he stays but a few of these could make it more possible.

No issues with football? Isn’t this the same guy who said JMI and UK we’re keeping him from doing an NIL deal with Will Levis? More like a reputation of having an issue with whoever Matt Jones is feuding with at the time.
Well, he did a 100K deal with Levis. His name is Nathan Burns. I'm not sure how or if Brady connects with him.

The school must review and approve all nil deals and there are several restrictions when you consider how many companies can be considered marketing partners of the school. Nothing can be done without that seal of approval. Iirc they have at least 7 days to review and approve. Also iirc they would not approve Levis being a barstool athlete because they were associated with gambling, which along with alcohol is another restriction.

No reason to doubt the person. So my guess is you have a point person for basketball and one for football. Sounds like football streamlines the nil process whereas basketball only cared if it was one of Cal's chosen.
I read the state law. You need to reread it as you're knowledge of it is off quite a bit.

I read the state law. You need to reread it as you're knowledge of it is off quite a bit.

Didn't the state law allow the schools to be in charge of review and approval? Unless the process changed, the school created an oac, which required review and approval of all proposed nil deals for student athletes. The explicitly disallowed deals were anything with alcohol, THC, or gambling; and anything that conflicts with any UK marketing partner.

I assumed that was one intake for all sports but it sure sounds like, from people with direct knowledge, that isn't the case.

If only you had been arguing the case against NIL in front o

If only you had been arguing the case against NIL in front of the SCOTUS. We'd never have had to deal with all of this.
🙄

College athletics programs from time out of mind have been parasites on the athletes. Everyone got dough off their efforts. NIL is only tangential to that, but the athletes really do deserve so much more than what they were getting. The coaches got fat contracts. (Much more than Physical Ed instructors.) Builders and renters of venues. People who sell athletic gear. People who sold parking spaces. Restaurateurs. Hoteliers. Broadcasters. What they were selling was the fruit of the efforts and the excellence of the athletes. And don't forget the little bump to the egos of the fans. It's all a parasite on the people doing the work.

It is so ingrained into the culture that it's weirdness is hidden. And for 99.xxx% of college athletes the value of what they worked so hard and so long for disappears with the last whistle. Who would spend all the effort on something knowing its value would evaporate so suddenly?

Unfortunately the NCAA approved the NIL pandora box being opened. I personally think it kills college sports and wasn’t handled the correct way however if deals were offered and someone screwed players out of their money they should be held liable. Not a letter in an HR file but in civil court etc. I’m as critical as any of the sh$t show the Cowl is but picking and choosing where money goes or who gets offered isn’t up to anyone other those involved in the NIL process. It’s sickening that people at UK are now sandbagging players as well. I had read it’s all but true in Reeves case.

Reactions: KFuqua
Sounded like a story to pile on. Why did it take that long to come out? The guy just seemed fishy to me. Again, he could still do the deal so if it was true why isn't he

Sounded like a story to pile on. Why did it take that long to come out? The guy just seemed fishy to me. Again, he could still do the deal so if it was true why isn't he
Good lord, timing changes. He's proven with Levis and football deals.

Did you listen to all of it? Why it took so long to come out was obvious.

Didn't the state law allow the schools to be in charge of review and approval? Unless the process changed, the school created an oac, which required review and approval of all proposed nil deals for student athletes. The explicitly disallowed deals were anything with alcohol, THC, or gambling; and anything that conflicts with any UK marketing partner.

I assumed that was one intake for all sports but it sure sounds like, from people with direct knowledge, that isn't the case.
Here is the law. Btw, I'm not trying to give you a hard time in any way.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
No, it isn't the same guy. This guy did a 100K deal with Levis.

Which one of our ignorant but know it all retreads are you?

No, it isn't the same guy. This guy did a 100K deal with Levis.

Which one of our ignorant but know it all retreads are you?
So this guy and Brady James aren’t the same person, don’t work for Grand Slam Collectibles, and didn’t have a problem with football because they couldn’t use the UK logo with Will Levis last year?

Last edited:
Here is the law. Btw, I'm not trying to give you a hard time in any way.

I appreciate that but it's all just as I said. The restrictions against alcohol etc are in section 2. The other stuff is covered by the reasonable restrictions portion.

The up to 7 day review was the school's initial system. There was talk of a streamlined process but I don't know what that was or if it happened.

I appreciate that but it's all just as I said. The restrictions against alcohol etc are in section 2. The other stuff is covered by the reasonable restrictions portion.

The up to 7 day review was the school's initial system. There was talk of a streamlined process but I don't know what that was or if it happened.
Yes and no. The school is very limited on the restrictions it can use, most of which involve some sort of conflict. Neither Cal nor UK have any sort of vetting power.

There is nothing in it that would explain the Reeves situation as we know it. The deals are supposed to go to the players or their representatives first.

So this guy and Brady James aren’t the same person, don’t work for Grand Slam Collectibles, and didn’t have a problem with football because they couldn’t use the UK logo with Will Levis last year?
This guy is Nate Burns. I'm not sure how Brady fits in here. What I do know is they signed a deal with Levis and Levis was paid.

This guy is Nate Burns. I'm not sure how Brady fits in here. What I do know is they signed a deal with Levis and Levis was paid.
That’s not what I was saying. You said they didn’t have a problem with football and they absolutely did. Remember the JMI stuff when they had to pay for use of the logo… just like every other school and franchise and it was a huge issue? I’m just saying that it seems convenient that they have issues with whatever entity Matt Jones deals with.

They don’t know how licensing agreements work and now they don’t know how to contact a player with an agent for a NIL deal. They went to an assistant coach to have him contact the coach about an NIL deal with a player. Seems like their incompetence is always someone else’s fault and they team up with Matt Jones to trash the program.

That’s not what I was saying. You said they didn’t have a problem with football and they absolutely did. Remember the JMI stuff when they had to pay for use of the logo… just like every other school and franchise and it was a huge issue? I’m just saying that it seems convenient that they have issues with whatever entity Matt Jones deals with.

They don’t know how licensing agreements work and now they don’t know how to contact a player with an agent for a NIL deal. They went to an assistant coach to have him contact the coach about an NIL deal with a player. Seems like their incompetence is always someone else’s fault and they team up with Matt Jones to trash the program.
Yes, I remember Brady talking about it. I'm talking about what Nate said.

Since you remember you're obviously a retread. What was your previous name?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT