ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and UK, the down and dirty...

Benefit his agenda? What the hell is his agenda other than to get listeners to his program and people in his restaurant…all which is made easier when UK is winning.
Seeing that Vince regularly comes on his show and comes to his restaurant I’d say Vince and Matt are on pretty good terms.
His agenda is his war against JMI and UK, don’t play dumb. They made him stop using the logo for promotional events and stopped him from freeloading off the program. That’s why he feeds his cult these lies about NIL which is always vague BS with no specifics. Every single one of the many lies you cult members tell about JMI came from Matt Jones.

I didn’t say Vince and Matt weren’t on good terms, y’all always make strawman arguments too. I said Matt Jones lied and said the administration didn’t support NIL and we lost the RB commit due to NIL. Marrow had to publicly correct the lies twice.

The Supreme Court ruled the NCAA couldn’t cap NIL earnings .Meanwhile, universities cap the athletes earnings with a mere scholarship, while using, not only their NIL, but their blood sweat and tears, to rake in hundreds of millions of dollars. Passing the burden of actually paying for these kids effort on to a collective. Creating the hellish landscape we gaze upon now.

Universities should pay the players. Period. End of story. All the TV money, the JMI money, all of it, should be proportionally distributed to the players. All this NIL shit is simply allowing Universities to have their cake and eat it too. And it’s time for it to stop.

Okay. I'll go first. I have no interest in a professional league with no salary cap and unrestricted free agency every year. I really have no interest in one where I am being asked to contribute to paying their salary so the people making the money from TV and ticket and merchandise sales can divert the money they could be paying their employees to other causes. It's insulting and I will quit watching before I will give them a penny.

BTW, NIL and unlimited transfers can be both right and the ruination of a sport. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Nail meet head. Your last statement is what I’ve been trying to get across for a a while now. Not blaming anybody just stating a fact that all those rooting for these changes were also unwittingly rooting for the end of COLLEGE sports as we’ve known them. If you want to force colleges to turn their leagues into professional leagues you get what to get.

There’s a reason the colleges tried so hard to hang on to some remnant if amateurism in their leagues. It’s because they knew the more it was about the money the less it was about the student athletes and this less about the colleges themselves. The framework and traditions that have made college football what was so attractive will slowly erode and with that the interest in it

I know the "rulings." But by whom are the rulings made and why? What is the legal basis for the decision? Try to think beyond the "legal authority" blanket statement and think about where they get their authority and why they rule the way they do.

Why should the schools be "forbidden" from paying players?

If the fans/boosters are paying, but don't actually derive any NIL benefits from paying, how is that any better or different than the UT Happy Meal system?

Once again, if NIL is truly NIL, sure.

Paying into a collective is not NIL. It could be a way of funding NIL, yes. Paying a player $X IF they go to UK is NOT NIL. Paying a player for using their N, I, or L to promote your business, brand, or product IS truly NIL.

As soon as you tie it to playing at ___ school, it is no longer NIL.

NIL is about marketable value, yet everyone seems to think there is a bottom or base dollar value to it based on ability on the field, and that is not the foundation, nor is it accurate.

You can be great at what you do and not be marketable. Your NIL could be a net loss in value, like OJ Simpson's at this point. I saw a hilarious listing of min NIL value on a website recently for several players I'd never heard of, at positions that are among the lowest paid professionally, and for players that weren't even 4 stars. One was valued at 40k per year.

That's frkn stupid if not madness, as every player's value will be dependent on the location and relative value to their future teammates and program. Their NIL is ZERO right now if no one even knows who they are... and their NIL could be much higher if the right team has a huge need at their position and for their specific skillset.

If that program is McNeese St, the NIL value drops. If it's Vandy, it's offset by the value of the education received compared to that of other institutions. If it's PSU, that value may be greater because the university is now known for a scandal of their own creation and they need to continue to rehab their rapey image (paying more to offset the damage to a recruit's image while playing for them).

NIL is just a way to help bring in social scoring and give lawyers more money.
LOL, talk about your second grade fallacies

....universities cap the athletes earnings with a mere scholarship, while using, not only their NIL, but their blood sweat and tears, to rake in hundreds of millions of dollars. Passing the burden of actually paying for these kids effort on to a collective. Creating the hellish landscape we gaze upon now.

Universities should pay the players. Period. End of story. All the TV money, the JMI money, all of it, should be proportionally distributed to the players. All this NIL shit is simply allowing Universities to have their cake and eat it too. And it’s time for it to stop.

Fkn horsesht and you know it. Good for a laugh though

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: JHB4UK and 2blue4u
What’s horseshit about it? If you’re a company profiting of someone’s labor, you pay that labor. You don’t ask your customers to pool their money, after they paid you btw, and pay your employees. That’s horseshit and it ain’t too funny if you ask me.

What’s horseshit about it? If you’re a company profiting of someone’s labor, you pay that labor. You don’t ask your customers to pool their money, after they paid you btw, and pay your employees. That’s horseshit and it ain’t too funny if you ask me.

If you don't know what's horsesht about it, me telling you isn't going to make you understand. I've posted about this 50 times if I've posted about it once. Do some searching...

What is the athletic budget for UK?
How much do they bring in each year?
How much is spent on each sport?
How much is spent JUST to keep the lights on at facilities?

What company pays the employees all of the money and still has a business when it's all said and done?
What are fixed costs?
What are hidden costs?
What are the standards set for the employees (do they have quotas)?
What happens when they don't meet those quotas?
Does the business fail to turn a profit?
Do they keep their jobs when the business isn't profitable?

Is the UNIVERSITY "asking the 'customers' to pay the players"?

What does NIL stand for?
Are universities allowed to pay NIL fees to players?
How do you get this system fixed on a UK message board by throwing your sht at people that don't control it or make the laws?

Find your reps and senators and get them to change things so that players have to get paid more than they already are and see how that works

Nail meet head. Your last statement is what I’ve been trying to get across for a a while now. Not blaming anybody just stating a fact that all those rooting for these changes were also unwittingly rooting for the end of COLLEGE sports as we’ve known them. If you want to force colleges to turn their leagues into professional leagues you get what to get.

There’s a reason the colleges tried so hard to hang on to some remnant if amateurism in their leagues. It’s because they knew the more it was about the money the less it was about the student athletes and this less about the colleges themselves. The framework and traditions that have made college football what was so attractive will slowly erode and with that the interest in it

Or quickly. I've never seen such a quick negative reaction of this kind to an overall sports ruling. People are always vocal, but the drop in attendance and interest is amazing. It will only get worse as people have less and less money in their pockets under these administrations.

Reactions: jauk11
The Supreme Court ruled the NCAA couldn’t cap NIL earnings .Meanwhile, universities cap the athletes earnings with a mere scholarship, while using, not only their NIL, but their blood sweat and tears, to rake in hundreds of millions of dollars. Passing the burden of actually paying for these kids effort on to a collective. Creating the hellish landscape we gaze upon now.

Even if the universities paid the players the collectives wouldn’t go away. Nothing would/could stop Joe Booster or State U collective from adding more $$ to entice players to their school. That cat is out of the bag.

People are always vocal, but the drop in attendance and interest is amazing. It will only get worse as people have less and less money in their pockets under these administrations.
Oh that's crap.

Cite evidence of this. Where do you see CFB in person attendance over the entire sport dropping?

TV ratings for the regular season & the playoff were through the freaking roof. Fox/CBS/NBC wouldn't have just this yr agreed to pay the B1g T3n A BILLION DOLLARS if there was the slightest sign interest in the sport was waning.

Old guys who can't handle kids getting NIL cash will be replaced by younger viewers.

Reactions: postmodernprimate
As someone who is very familiar with multiple collectives at different colleges, I can tell you right now there is a reckoning coming and there are going to be a group of ultra-haves and a group ultra-have-nots. Kentucky is in the second group especially in football.

The Alabamas and Ohio States and even Tennessees of the world are deeply entwined with their boosters. Those same boosters are writing a lot of language in their player contracts that defers money until certain milestones have happened. Teams like Kentucky, NC State, Florida, and many more have taken a hands off approach and openly commented about not liking NIL.

As a result you have a dwindling number of people willing to support the NIL at a place like UK because there is no guarantee the player plays, or competes to the best of their ability, or finishes the season. These boosters are getting little to no benefit off using these kids for advertising. They are literally paying so the kids come and play and win.

At the schools who haven’t embraced it, the money is already drying up. At the places who have, they are winning and the money is growing.

It's too bad that either NIL or CFB may die a quick or slow death then.

It's not NIL by rule if it is used as an incentive for a player to sign with a certain school. Likewise, it is not NIL if they are required to stay at the school or reach playing milestones. That's pay to play, not NIL.

CRod got NIL money while he was here, and they put his mug on billboards for a roofing company. THAT is NIL.

Oh that's crap.

Cite evidence of this. Where do you see CFB in person attendance over the entire sport dropping?

TV ratings for the regular season & the playoff were through the freaking roof. Fox/CBS/NBC wouldn't have just this yr agreed to pay the B1g T3n A BILLION DOLLARS if there was the slightest sign interest in the sport was waning.

Old guys who can't handle kids getting NIL cash will be replaced by younger viewers.

Lol. Cite evidence of viewership and attendance being down for the next 3 years because of NIL. Are you drunk right now?

Attendance has been dropping for years, and I've not done a nationwide poll to find out exactlt why people aren't attending. I have no plans to spend money and time to have data to cite for you over the next few years, but viewership and attendance (unless they are continuing to fudge the numbers like they did this year) will decline.

It's too bad that either NIL or CFB may die a quick or slow death then.

It's not NIL by rule if it is used as an incentive for a player to sign with a certain school. Likewise, it is not NIL if they are required to stay at the school or reach playing milestones. That's pay to play, not NIL.

CRod got NIL money while he was here, and they put his mug on billboards for a roofing company. THAT is NIL.

The way NIL is working at places like UK (and trust me, many others) is that the people/companies that can afford to pay want SOMETHING for their money. One of my close friends runs a large car dealership in Raleigh, he gave a boat ton to a collective for his hometown school, and sure, he got the 4 kids to do some pictures and commercials.

The problem is that this moves the needle precisely none in his business. People aren’t buying cars (or roofs, in C-Rods case) because they saw a college kid endorse something. There’s even evidence to the contrary.

So, unless the school is pulling an “Alabama” and giving access to the inner workings of the AD (coaches luncheons, dinners, special events) then the donors at these schools are 100% paying for kids to play.

I have said from outset that this could really hurt small market teams but many ignored that in favor of UK has plenty of money.

I think it is probably pay for play, but I don't know that for sure. In either case, the program probably won't be able to produce a product we want to support if it doesn't have a competitive level of NIL money going to its athletes. The program can't pay the athlete so if the community doesn't support the program then the product will slip. The community is you and me. Some wealthy guy has no more obligation to contribute than you or I do. I'm not saying people should donate. They should do what they want to do. But if NIL money is driving the bus, fans shouldn't blame wealthy people, or coaches, if there isn't enough NIL money to attract athletes. The responsibility is with any fan who wants a competitive product. I don't like the current system, but I believe that is the reality of the situation and why small market teams will ultimately suffer.
While many were cheering for NIL a few years back...I was very concerned about UK's ability to compete with the larger market/bigger money programs that are our competition. I think those fears are coming to fruition right now.
The Mercedes dealership in Lexington is not on the same $$$$ level as one in larger TV markets or states.
Kentucky is a broke ass state with very few corporate sponsers or wealthy businesses compared to other states.
Our alumni donors are also not on par with bigger schools in bigger states.
The main engine of economic development in the state is centered in Louisville.... which is not helpful to UK either.
The only way for UK to compete now is via small individual donations ala the 15 Club.... Mitch knows this which is why it exists in the first place.
Unfortunately for us, we are a school located smack dab in the middle of a small tv market, in a small poor state.

Reactions: megablue
Attendance has been dropping for years, and I've not done a nationwide poll to find out exactlt why people aren't attending. I have no plans to spend money and time to have data to cite for you over the next few years, but viewership and attendance (unless they are continuing to fudge the numbers like they did this year) will decline.
If attendance has been so obviously dropping you should have an easy source to post? Let's not forget the covid yr of 2020 and some lingering aftereffects in 2021, those attendance numbers have zero to do with unpopularity of CFB. From my point of view all CFB attendance was back to normal, full & healthy nationwide in 2022. But I'd love some facts or evidence one way or another!

I think what you are saying is your attendance and viewership is gonna decline in the future. Do you represent typical CFB audience? Fox/CBS/NBC just bet a billion dollars you don't.

If attendance has been so obviously dropping you should have an easy source to post? Let's not forget the covid yr of 2020 and some lingering aftereffects in 2021, those attendance numbers have zero to do with unpopularity of CFB. From my point of view all CFB attendance was back to normal, full & healthy nationwide in 2022. But I'd love some facts or evidence one way or another!

I think what you are saying is your attendance and viewership is gonna decline in the future. Do you represent typical CFB audience? Fox/CBS/NBC just bet a billion dollars you don't.

Lol. Your little fingers can do the work if you want to disprove it. Attendance has been an issue across the college sports landscape.

Don't think the onus is on me to disprove your misinformation bud!

Of course you wouldn't, especially if it would prove you wrong.

Edit-
Once I had time, I posted the data below taken from a simple Google search for info about declining attendance in FBS college football and college basketball. 20 links popped up confirming what I was talking about, but you were too lazy or scared to look into. You went to a lot of trouble to ignore it to post about a 5 year avg that included covid year figures. Congrats

Last edited:
Ok bud!

2022 avg attendance 130 schools - 5,248,519
2021 avg attendance 130 schools - 4,990,319
5 yr avg attendance 130 schools - 5,222,329

UK attendance is up 7% from 21 to 22, and 9.75% higher thus yr than our 5 yr avg

Reactions: The-Hack
Ok bud!

2022 avg attendance 130 schools - 5,248,519
2021 avg attendance 130 schools - 4,990,319
5 yr avg attendance 130 schools - 5,222,329

UK attendance is up 7% from 21 to 22, and 9.75% higher thus yr than our 5 yr avg
That's a very interesting data set. It's interested to see how attendance has changed but it is also interesting to see the relative size of the attendance by team and by conference.

I would say one thing about Girthang's point. A 5 year average may not capture what he is talking about. I know there have been articles about declining attendance for years. If it has been declining long enough a 5 year average may not capture the decline that has taken place. It would be interesting to see a rolling 3 year average, or something like that, over the last 10 to 15 years. It's also possible that the reports of declining attendance has been overblown.

I think some places/areas of the country are going down (left coast), some going up (south, southwest), some are staying strong (Midwest, great plains).

Maybe it will go down in next few yrs. Maybe NIL and portal will turn fans off.

Or not - what's our attendance without portal additions? Or using some NIL to recruit a Barion Brown & Deron Walker? Portal allows just about any school that needs it to get a starting qb. how many other teams besides UK will bring in an exciting new starting QB in 2023? Those guys sell tickets!

It declined nationally for 7 straight years leading up to and through 2021, and also at the beginning of last year it was 9 out of the previous 10 years. This was all over the news for 3 of the 7 years. I don't think they counted 2020 as an extreme outlier, but maybe they did and adjusted for number of games and adjusted capacity. Those are football numbers as far as I know, but basketball has declined a little also, even if it hasn't much affected UK anywhere except the student sections.

Last edited:
Basketball attendance (at home games, not neutral site or ncaa tourney games) has declined 16% over the past 10 years. Avg attendance for home games last year was 4204 while 10 years ago it was 5000. The decline was steady over the 10 year period.

If it has been declining long enough a 5 year average may not capture the decline that has taken place.
There were seasons (06, 07, 08) when we averaged north of 65K.

You are right twice. There has been a national uptick in attendance for 5 years, following a ten year decline.

Still, that five-year increase is statistically encouraging for my favorite sport, college football.

Mayyutt is trying to line his own pockets. Every NIL issue comes from Matt Jones and all the NIL problems would be solved if coaches would have a meet and greet at his his bar.

Who gives a flying f--- about Matt Jones?!?? The only question that matters is whether or not our coaches are free to promote legitimate NIL collectives in the exact same manner as every other SEC coaching staff or are they restricted in ways other staffs are not due to our contract with JMI?

You are right twice. There has been a national uptick in attendance for 5 years, following a ten year decline.

Still, that five-year increase is statistically encouraging for my favorite sport, college football.

The decline in attendance happened over 10 years ending with 2021 for basketball. 7 years ending with 2021 in football, but also 9 of the 10 years ending in 2021 as well.

Cat_in_the_hat is right. An uptick in avg attendance doesn't automatically mean that overall attendance hasn't declined steadily over 10 years.

An uptick in avg attendance doesn't automatically mean that overall attendance hasn't declined steadily over 10 years.
All true. But I am surprised to see any uptick of late.

From (roughly) 2008, forward, about all I had read or heard, here or other sources, essentially predicted a continuing avalanche of dropping numbers for almost all sports. Big screen TV’s, all games being televised, and the relative brevity of Soccer matches were some of the compelling reasons.

Reactions: Girthang
Who gives a flying f--- about Matt Jones?!?? The only question that matters is whether or not our coaches are free to promote legitimate NIL collectives in the exact same manner as every other SEC coaching staff or are they restricted in ways other staffs are not due to our contract with JMI?
Y’all give a flying f. Y’all keep promoting his BS. 100% of this JMI BS comes from Matt Jones, no one else.

Who is JMI? Why do they have control over NIL collectives?
They are a multi media marketing company. Matt Jones is feuding with them because they no longer allow him to freeload off the program. He has convinced his cult that UK is falling apart because JMI hurting NIL. I’m not sure which lie they’re on now, it used to be that would allow coaches to advertise for collectives and won’t allow coaches to do meet and greets for the collective. Stoops just did an ad for The 15 so I think they’ve amended that lie.

All true. But I am surprised to see any uptick of late.

From (roughly) 2008, forward, about all I had read or heard, here or other sources, essentially predicted a continuing avalanche of dropping numbers for almost all sports. Big screen TV’s, all games being televised, and the relative brevity of Soccer matches were some of the compelling reasons.

I think people not being ABLE to attend, really made them appreciate the opportunity once it opened up again. It'll be interesting to see if it sticks.

I had a brief conversation with MBarnhart years ago after a press conference. Maybe 2007? It was before they had begun the process or in the process of talking about the additional luxury suites. Even then they were talking about the declines in attendance and trying to build a hedge against it while at the same time trying to increase revenue so they could compete in the SEC.

He wasn't the only AD concerned about it and trying to plan for it and address it before it got really bad. I talked to 2 others that are ADs even now and the conversation was the same. It wasn't an issue at Georgia, but they still had the same concerns about how to increase revenue to fight losses in other sources.

Anyway, MB and others said they would decline and surprisingly they did. The rate and consistency at which they declined is what shocked me. I understand that it may not be an SEC issue as much as it might be at other conferences. Those conferences might be bringing down the rest, but when you're not putting out a great product, it's always a concern that it might continue.

Who is JMI? Why do they have control over NIL collectives?
JMI, a few years back, began paying UK many millions per year, for logo use, Third Tier broadcasting/advertising rights, and naming rights for on-campus facilities. JMI sold the naming right for the football Stadium to Kroger, hence Kroger Field.

A year or two, ago, JMI came down on KSBar for using UK logos on it’s premises, and in some ways, limited their use.

Jones has slammed JMI, as it recently flexed it’s contractural rights limiting Brady James, a frequent, popular and generous poster, here, from using some UK specific intellectual property in his NIL deals with football players.

And the debate has raged on multiple threads for weeks. Mogilla Gorilla insists JMI is legitimately protecting its multi-million dollar investment in all things officially “UK,” whilst Matt Jones and posters, here, have alluded to JMI’s limitations on showing UK specific stuff as part of NIL for those investors, insisting that UK/JMI need to amend their deal to benefit UK’s NIL posture.

Essentially, anyone appearing in an ad that includes one or more of a dozen (or more) protected letters, names or symbols “owned” by JMI can be sued by JMI.

Hence, if I hire a player for an autograph session, he might wear a generic blue shirt, but a “UK” or “Kentucky Football” logo means money has to go to JMI.

The signed footballs given to program sponsors at the Quarter Back Club do not have UK or Kentucky Football written on them: “Coach, Mark Stoops,” owns his own name, and signs the balls for giveaway.

The association with UK is natural, without it being spelled out.

I’ve done a fair amount of contract prep in my day, but little involving intellectual property, signs, symbols, etc.

MG has the better part of the argument on these threads, though, as NIL examples from multiple SEC schools have been posted showing a well-known player juxtaposed with something that lets the viewer know who he is advertising with, without the specific naming of the school, or any slogan connected to it. Hence, Hendron Hooker’s Knoxville Mercedes’ TV Ad prominently shows the 1984 World’s Fair tower/ball in the background, all of 400 yards away from Neyland Stadium, and he wears a generic orange shirt. No UT property is shown, nor is the university mentioned in any fashion.

The Supreme Court decision regarding athletes allows a player to profit from his/her name, image and likeness.

JMI owns any profit to be made from UK’s name, image and likeness.

Last edited:

SCOTUS did no such thing. The rest of your post is ridiculous.

Hmm, that isn't what I found.

Hmm, that isn't what I found.
Hmmmmm.

From your title, of an article published February of 2021, BBFGA,

“College football attendance declines for seventh straight season to lowest average since 1981.”​

Someone needs to link the two authors up!!

Your link, BBFGA, takes an interesting “glance” at a potential cause, “a growing list of small-stadium bandwagon jumpers moving up from FCS to FBS.” But the remainder of the article says the decline is at almost all schools all the way through 2021, negating the thought that adding ten-fifteen former FCS schools has skewed his numbers.

Well, the article at the top is by school, and is By God, detailed. It tells me what I want to hear, and I have neither the energy nor math background to shoot either study down.

Where are our accountants?

This ain’t a wordsmith’s thread, so back-to-bed!

Last edited:
Cat_in_the_hat is right. An uptick in avg attendance doesn't automatically mean that overall attendance hasn't declined steadily over 10 years.
Do what ? I’m a trained statistician by trade and that sentence makes no sense

Five year trend isn’t a too short window to make assumptions upon. UK football attendance is totally fine and not lessening yet.

Let's see if I understand this:

If a player DOES NOT sign with or transfers to or from UK it's due to NLI?

If a player DOES sign with or transfers to UK it's because nobody else wanted him anyway?

Al righty then.

ADVERTISEMENT