ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and UK, the down and dirty...

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
How about we stop high jacking EVERY FKN thread and turning it into an NIL pissing contest?

Every time you feel like complaining about NIL and/or Mitch- DO IT HERE, on this thread, so we can read the comments and info that are relevant to the OP.

Don't comment on news of a transfer, when you can bring your agenda here and rant for or against NIL, how NIL should be funded, or speculate whether that's why a player is leaving when you don't know them personally. Whether you want to debate the opinions of KSR or you believe the coaches when they say NIL isn't an issue, do it HERE, but stay off of informative or conversational threads on other topics.

You don't even have to START YOUR OWN BRAND NEW THREAD about NIL!! because this one is already here for you!!!

Or maybe the mods could pin an NIL debate thread somewhere on the site. (Are there mods here?)

Last edited:
Okay. I'll go first. I have no interest in a professional league with no salary cap and unrestricted free agency every year. I really have no interest in one where I am being asked to contribute to paying their salary so the people making the money from TV and ticket and merchandise sales can divert the money they could be paying their employees to other causes. It's insulting and I will quit watching before I will give them a penny.

BTW, NIL and unlimited transfers can be both right and the ruination of a sport. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Okay. I'll go first. I have no interest in a professional league with no salary cap and unrestricted free agency every year. I really have no interest in one where I am being asked to contribute to paying their salary so the people making the money from TV and ticket and merchandise sales can divert the money they could be paying their employees to other causes. It's insulting and I will quit watching before I will give them a penny.

BTW, NIL and unlimited transfers can be both right and the ruination of a sport. They aren't mutually exclusive.

That absolutely makes sense and is well reasoned.

Reactions: Glenn's take
I'll chime in also-

A player being able to be paid for NIL is absolutely a right they should retain. Just like any job or business, it should be managed by the business owner or someone with whom they contract to manage it for them.

-the schools should not be involved
-coaches should not be involved
-those who want to use or benefit from licensing the athlete's NIL should be involved

The NCAA has proven they are a derelict agency/association with no institutional control and no desire to regulate the members of their association/institution. In that regard they have proved to be no more than a business seeking the protection of an association structure to avoid tax ramifications of the business they conduct, and as such are in fact a monopoly that prohibits fair competition.

The athletes ARE getting compensated already and their scholarships should be counted as income, if they are going to be steered to schools by sponsors or those who license their NIL. Once they are steered to a school/program they become employees of the license holder, because they are constrained by the same to go to "X" SCHOOL. They no longer meet most state's definitions of independent contractor rather than employee for this reason.

I'm all for NIL if it's truly NIL and not pay for play.

Reactions: jauk11

Do you think our AD is trying to sabotage the success of our income producing sports and subvert NIL?

Or

Do you think the AD is trying to protect the value of the brand and the contracts he already has in place?

If you were hired as AD would you let NIL licensees use program properties for free or work to protect their value by preventing would be sponsors from going around the school to get backdoor access to the school's logo and other perks/properties or employees?

100% agree. It's not our job to pay their salaries. That's why God invented rich booster guys.

Reactions: jauk11 and Girthang
Oh bullspit

A cease fire has to have both sides, all sides agree

The next good UK player who enters the portal i ain't sitting on my hands when some dumbass says "SEE HE DONT THINK STOOPS CAN WIN HERE" when there are reports it is about NIL. Or, when a big time recruit doesn't pick us, and that's the issue.

100% agree. It's not our job to pay their salaries. That's why God invented rich booster guys.
I have not contributed to a collective. I have thought about it but so far have decided not to pull the trigger. That being said, why should a wealthy person be more obligated to contribute to have a competitive program than you or I? If we want to watch winning football, basketball, etc., isn't the onus just as much on us to support it as it is anyone else? It seems to me that the people who care about the product are the ones who have the responsibility to support it. Otherwise, there is no one to blame but ourselves if the product slips.

Oh bullspit

A cease fire has to have both sides, all sides agree

The next good UK player who enters the portal i ain't sitting on my hands when some dumbass says "SEE HE DONT THINK STOOPS CAN WIN HERE" when there are reports it is about NIL. Or, when a big time recruit doesn't pick us, and that's the issue.
Reports? Just say Matt Jones said. LOL at reports. All of this comes from daddy Matt, call it what it is instead of reports.

I have not contributed to a collective. I have thought about it but so far have decided not to pull the trigger. That being said, why should a wealthy person be more obligated to contribute to have a competitive program than you or I? If we want to watch winning football, basketball, etc., isn't the onus just as much on us to support it as it is anyone else? It seems to me that the people who care about the product are the ones who have the responsibility to support it. Otherwise, there is no one to blame but ourselves if the product slips.

IF NIL WAS ACTUALLY NIL, sure. It's really not, though. And when a player says "pay me more NIL or I'll leave," it's extortion not NIL.

Is the "onus" on US or the PROGRAM to produce a product we want to support? If it isn't really NIL, BUT pay for play, then why should the program not be footing the bill?

The truth is if this IS PAY4PLAY then we've already lost the war even if we win battles now and then. We can't compete with UT, UF, UGA, USC, OSU, UM, PSU, and others with bigger booster money and HQed businesses in their pocket. If coal is back on the menu, we'll survive if not prosper.

IF NIL WAS ACTUALLY NIL, sure. It's really not, though. And when a player says "pay me more NIL or I'll leave," it's extortion not NIL.

Is the "onus" on US or the PROGRAM to produce a product we want to support? If it isn't really NIL, BUT pay for play, then why should the program not be footing the bill?

The truth is if this IS PAY4PLAY then we've already lost the war even if we win battles now and then. We can't compete with UT, UF, UGA, USC, OSU, UM, PSU, and others with bigger booster money and HQed businesses in their pocket. If coal is back on the menu, we'll survive if not prosper.
Schools are forbidden from paying players thus if players are going to be paid it will be fans/boosters who are paying.

Reactions: Girthang

I have said from outset that this could really hurt small market teams but many ignored that in favor of UK has plenty of money.

I think it is probably pay for play, but I don't know that for sure. In either case, the program probably won't be able to produce a product we want to support if it doesn't have a competitive level of NIL money going to its athletes. The program can't pay the athlete so if the community doesn't support the program then the product will slip. The community is you and me. Some wealthy guy has no more obligation to contribute than you or I do. I'm not saying people should donate. They should do what they want to do. But if NIL money is driving the bus, fans shouldn't blame wealthy people, or coaches, if there isn't enough NIL money to attract athletes. The responsibility is with any fan who wants a competitive product. I don't like the current system, but I believe that is the reality of the situation and why small market teams will ultimately suffer.

Your Matt Jones envy is showing. If you had his intellect and talent you’d sell your soul to be in his shoes.
Here is another cult member. Shocking this fraud supports that fraud. Sorry fraud but the “reports” that Rogers transfer was an NIL issue came from Matt Jones. Just like the “reports” the the RB recruit from Alabama who decommitted came from Matt Jones. The same reports that Vince Marrow had to publicly correct and say wasn’t true.

They can afford to, I cannot. Just like I can't afford to contribute to PACs like they can or give as much to charities as they can. Low income UK fans are more than welcome to contribute though as everyone has personal choice. We choose if we want our money to go to bills or beer or eating out or drugs or sporting event tickets and so on.

On the rich boosters, they aren't obligated but they have always been doing stuff behind the scenes. It's just out in the open now.

They can afford to, I cannot. Just like I can't afford to contribute to PACs like they can or give as much to charities as they can. Low income UK fans are more than welcome to contribute though as everyone has personal choice. We choose if we want our money to go to bills or beer or eating out or drugs or sporting event tickets and so on.

On the rich boosters, they aren't obligated but they have always been doing stuff behind the scenes. It's just out in the open now.
I don't disagree with that. Maybe I misinterpreted what you saying. Everyone, wealthy or not, gets to choose what is important to them. If UK sports is important, then the average fan will prioritize it over other things they spend money on, movies, beer, etc. The wealthy will do the same. However, we as fans can't expect the wealthy to do what we aren't willing to do. In other words, if we don't step up at all, then we should not complain if others don't step up and the program slips back to where it was before. Unless NIL is more heavily regulated somehow, I think the future goes to the highest bidder.

Schools are forbidden from paying players thus if players are going to be paid it will be fans/boosters who are paying.

I know the "rulings." But by whom are the rulings made and why? What is the legal basis for the decision? Try to think beyond the "legal authority" blanket statement and think about where they get their authority and why they rule the way they do.

Why should the schools be "forbidden" from paying players?

If the fans/boosters are paying, but don't actually derive any NIL benefits from paying, how is that any better or different than the UT Happy Meal system?

Once again, if NIL is truly NIL, sure.

Paying into a collective is not NIL. It could be a way of funding NIL, yes. Paying a player $X IF they go to UK is NOT NIL. Paying a player for using their N, I, or L to promote your business, brand, or product IS truly NIL.

As soon as you tie it to playing at ___ school, it is no longer NIL.

NIL is about marketable value, yet everyone seems to think there is a bottom or base dollar value to it based on ability on the field, and that is not the foundation, nor is it accurate.

You can be great at what you do and not be marketable. Your NIL could be a net loss in value, like OJ Simpson's at this point. I saw a hilarious listing of min NIL value on a website recently for several players I'd never heard of, at positions that are among the lowest paid professionally, and for players that weren't even 4 stars. One was valued at 40k per year.

That's frkn stupid if not madness, as every player's value will be dependent on the location and relative value to their future teammates and program. Their NIL is ZERO right now if no one even knows who they are... and their NIL could be much higher if the right team has a huge need at their position and for their specific skillset.

If that program is McNeese St, the NIL value drops. If it's Vandy, it's offset by the value of the education received compared to that of other institutions. If it's PSU, that value may be greater because the university is now known for a scandal of their own creation and they need to continue to rehab their rapey image (paying more to offset the damage to a recruit's image while playing for them).

NIL is just a way to help bring in social scoring and give lawyers more money.

Here is another cult member. Shocking this fraud supports that fraud. Sorry fraud but the “reports” that Rogers transfer was an NIL issue came from Matt Jones. Just like the “reports” the the RB recruit from Alabama who decommitted came from Matt Jones. The same reports that Vince Marrow had to publicly correct and say wasn’t true.
So you think MJ makes up shit?
These are 18-22 yo kids, you must not have raised any of them because if you had you’d know they change their minds often. Also if you ever find a reporter who is never wrong about the intentions and reasons behind the decisions of 18-22yo kids let me know because I’m not aware of any…which is precisely why I’d never pay for such information.

If you actually listened you would know Matt usually says what confidence he has in any source. It would also behove you to understand that KSR is first and foremost entertainment as they freely admit “facts are optional”…just like watching Fox News.

I know the "rulings." But by whom are the rulings made and why? What is the legal basis for the decision? Try to think beyond the "legal authority" blanket statement and think about where they get their authority and why they rule the way they do.

If the fans/boosters are paying, but don't actually derive any NIL benefits from paying, how is that any better or different than the UT Happy Meal system?

Paying into a collective is not NIL. It could be a way of funding NIL, yes. Paying a player $X IF they go to UK is NOT NIL. Paying a player for using their N, I, or L to promote your business, brand, or product IS truly NIL.

NIL is about marketable value, yet everyone seems to think there is a bottom or base dollar value to it based on ability on the field, and that is not the foundation, nor is it accurate.

You can be great at what you do and not be marketable. Your NIL could be a net loss in value, like OJ Simpson's at this point. I saw a hilarious listing of min NIL value on a website recently for several players I'd never heard of, at positions that are among the lowest paid professionally, and for players that weren't even 4 stars. One was valued at 40k per year.

That's frkn stupid if not madness, as every player's value will be dependent on the location and relative value to their future teammates and program. Their NIL is ZERO right now if no one even knows who they are... and their NIL could be much higher if the right team has a huge need at their position and for their specific skillset.

If that program is McNeese St, the NIL value drops. If it's Vandy, it's offset by the value of the education received compared to that of other institutions. If it's PSU, that value may be greater because the university is now known for a scandal of their own creation and they need to continue to rehab their rapey image (paying more to offset the damage to a recruit's image while playing for them).

You are putting your own definition on NIL where one doesn’t really exist. It is what it is, not necessarily what you/I want it to be. I mean who put those parameters onto what it is?

As for the schools not participating…they don’t because it opens up an entire new world of potential legal issues. Most clearly Title IX. It would make the athletes, employees which further complicates matters.

• Haha
These are 18-22 yo kids, you must not have raised any of them because if you had you’d know they change their minds often. Also if you ever find a reporter who is never wrong about the intentions and reasons behind the decisions of 18-22yo kids let me know because I’m not aware of any…which is precisely why I’d never pay for such information.

If you actually listened you would know Matt usually says what confidence he has in any source. It would also behove you to understand that KSR is first and foremost entertainment as they freely admit “facts are optional”…just like watching Fox News.

Do you ever follow up on KSR'S comments, predictions, and "sources"? Lol. You know it's not a news site but an entertainment site. THEY NEVER print retractions. They rarely admit they were wrong.

In fact, quite frequently they don't even "predict" anything until it's been published elsewhere, and never credit the source, nor those that published it well before they did. That's petty and unprofessional is what it is.

They hear gossip just like everyone else. That doesn't make it news nor does it make their "sources" really sources. Especially when they say one thing and the UK voicing staff immediately contradicts them...

Quoting them or attributing things to them, (when they are simply getting their info off of articles at other sites that ACTUALLY TALK directly to recruits and coaches), is what makes people look like cultist followers rather than rational people. When they are more often wrong than right, it makes their followers look even worse.

It's easy and cheap entertainment. Let's not pretend it's more than that.

Reactions: Dwayne0722
You are putting your own definition on NIL where one doesn’t really exist. It is what it is, not necessarily what you/I want it to be. I mean who put those parameters onto what it is?

Lol
Whatdoes N I L stand for...?
lmao

Thanks for that. Needed a good laugh today.

As for the schools not participating…they don’t because it opens up an entire new world of potential legal issues. Most clearly Title IX. It would make the athletes, employees which further complicates matters.

Yes. We agree on that. As I said...

If the athletes are being paid to play for X then they are employees of X whether it is through boosters or the school.

I disagree with your assessment that fans/boosters don’t derive benefits from recruits. If paying Johnny Football $5 million to your school results in more wins then you derived the benefit from enjoying those wins. It’s a gamble no doubt but so is marriage.
All year people on this and other message boards obsess about recruiting, commitments and recruiting rankings. Anyone who places value on those things has placed value on some high school kid’s name being on the list where you want it seen.

Do you ever follow up on KSR'S comments, predictions, and "sources"? Lol. You know it's not a news site but an entertainment site. THEY NEVER print retractions. They rarely admit they were wrong.

In fact, quite frequently they don't even "predict" anything until it's been published elsewhere, and never credit the source, nor those that published it well before they did. That's petty and unprofessional is what it is.

They hear gossip just like everyone else. That doesn't make it news nor does it make their "sources" really sources. Especially when they say one thing and the UK voicing staff immediately contradicts them...

Quoting them or attributing things to them, (when they are simply getting their info off of articles at other sites that ACTUALLY TALK directly to recruits and coaches), is what makes people look like cultist followers rather than rational people. When they are more often wrong than right, it makes their followers look even worse.

Did you even read the second paragraph of the post you quoted?

Lol
Whatdoes N I L stand for...?
lmao

Thanks for that. Needed a good laugh today.

Yes. We agree on that. As I said...

If the athletes are being paid to play for X then they are employees of X whether it is through boosters or the school.
There are legal tests that determine whether someone is an employee. Simply being paid for working somewhere doesn’t fulfill all of those tests. Contractors work for a business but are not employees of that business. I’ve worked for a company that has nearly half of its workforce as contractors. Perhaps they are employees of the NIL collective that pays them?

I disagree with your assessment that fans/boosters don’t derive benefits from recruits. If paying Johnny Football $5 million to your school results in more wins then you derived the benefit from enjoying those wins. It’s a gamble no doubt but so is marriage.
All year people on this and other message boards obsess about recruiting, commitments and recruiting rankings. Anyone who places value on those things has placed value on some high school kid’s name being on the list where you want it seen.

So did boosters who gave bags of money to recruits.

What DOES that have to do with NIL?

HOW is it possible to NOT understand why the ncaa specifically said that collectives are ok BUT athletes "can not be incentivized to go to a SPECIFIC SCHOOL" in order to receive their NIL compensation?

Is it cognitive dissonance, or are you just not interested in having an educated opinion on the subject?

Lol... MARRIAGE us your go to analogy on this? Lmao. How many mail order brides have you successfully sponsored, sir?

There are legal tests that determine whether someone is an employee. Simply being paid for working somewhere doesn’t fulfill all of those tests. Contractors work for a business but are not employees of that business. I’ve worked for a company that has nearly half of its workforce as contractors. Perhaps they are employees of the NIL collective that pays them?

So you're commenting, but you don't really know the answer... OK.

You'd have to be able to tie two things together to understand. PULL up the rulings, the comments by the NCAA, the state laws regarding someone being an independent contractor or an employee, and what the legislature has passed. Look at all of them and reconcile how things have to work.

You can be an "independent contractor" to your employer, and an employee to the state treasurer in the state in which your employer resides. I know the rules for how someone is determined to be an independent contractor for tax purposes. Do you? Once you know, come on back and we'll talk about it.

I have said from outset that this could really hurt small market teams but many ignored that in favor of UK has plenty of money.
Oh come on Knoxville isn't a big market, nor is Auburn or Tuscaloosa Alabama, or College Station, or East Lansing

People who care about CFB. That's it, that is what our competitors have that UK doesn't.

Did you even read the second paragraph of the post you quoted?

Yes, but the same person couldn't have posted both the first and second paragraphs AND the other things they've posted here. They are at significant odds with each other.

Either you think it's news or you think it's entertainment. Either you understand he many times has no sources other than other sites and articles, or you think he is truly connected and speaking directly to recruits, boosters, and coaches who are feeding him mostly wrong info...

If you read my whole post for understanding, which you did not, you would see the reason why I posted it.

If Matt is truly "sourced" (iow someone that matters and is truly knowledgeable) about NIL, the AD, and how it's hurting the program, why did the football coaches alone contradict him very strongly for over a week? Reconcile that

Oh come on Knoxville isn't a big market, nor is Auburn or Tuscaloosa Alabama, or College Station, or East Lansing

People who care about CFB. That's it, that is what our competitors have that UK doesn't.

Knoxville has a TON of money because of the industries centered there. Alabama has immense NIL value ( :) ) because they are pretty good at football and have been for a little bit. Texas has money. Auburn has at least been undefeated in the last 20 years (benefitting by association with their rivalry with Bama as well).

I care about CFB. I don't care about pro football as much as I used to care about CFB. IF CFB is going pro, I will have to spend my money differently. Maybe on HS sports...

Last edited:

Yes Matt Jones makes stuff up if it will benefit Matt Jones and his agenda. Just like Matt Jones steals others info and presents it as his own. He’s mad at JMI and UK for not allowing him to use the UK logo for free for promotional events at KSRBar. That why he’s been on the NIL rampage full of lies. Vince Marrow has had to correct Matt Jones lies on NIL and the administration not supporting NIL publicly twice. I guess you think Vince Marrow is lying because daddy Matt comes first.

• Love

Time will tell, but first we have to define what the market is for those teams. Does UT really have significant competition inside the state of Tennessee? In other words, will they draw significant NIL money from Knoxville, Nashville, and Memphis? I'm not sure what will happen to Auburn and Alabama. Neither were in the playoffs this year. Auburn supposedly has a very wealthy booster or two who is pouring money into their program. It does come down to people who care about football, but more specifically, it comes down to people who care about football and have the money to do something about it. Collectives even that out some if you can get enough participation.

KSR motto: Facts are optional!

Agreed but they are not employees.

This thing all became a farce to me with Shaedon Sharp...he got thousands in benefits for zero output.

I get that it was massively irritating and Cal screwed over the fans and program with his "agreement" with the family. He dgaf, though, and never really has. He really means this when he says (Cal, then the draft, then) the players FIRST.

I knew it was coming. He's done it before. He will lie to you straight to your face and not blink or twist AT ALL.

Bottom line, I don't care whether he played. He had no say in it. Cal had already decided. I don't care if someone wasted the money on him, because that's the nature of NIL.

NOW, Cal misrepresenting things to the ATH DEPT, the fans, the team, and the NIL investor.... that's some fkn dirty ash shy, and he should be fired for it, AND have to repay the investor double what he spent on a kid that Cal refused to play. Unethical pos move right there

Yes Matt Jones makes stuff up if it will benefit Matt Jones and his agenda. Just like Matt Jones steals others info and presents it as his own. He’s mad at JMI and UK for not allowing him to use the UK logo for free for promotional events at KSRBar. That why he’s been on the NIL rampage full of lies. Vince Marrow has had to correct Matt Jones lies on NIL and the administration not supporting NIL publicly twice. I guess you think Vince Marrow is lying because daddy Matt comes first.
Benefit his agenda? What the hell is his agenda other than to get listeners to his program and people in his restaurant…all which is made easier when UK is winning.
Seeing that Vince regularly comes on his show and comes to his restaurant I’d say Vince and Matt are on pretty good terms.

As someone who is very familiar with multiple collectives at different colleges, I can tell you right now there is a reckoning coming and there are going to be a group of ultra-haves and a group ultra-have-nots. Kentucky is in the second group especially in football.

The Alabamas and Ohio States and even Tennessees of the world are deeply entwined with their boosters. Those same boosters are writing a lot of language in their player contracts that defers money until certain milestones have happened. Teams like Kentucky, NC State, Florida, and many more have taken a hands off approach and openly commented about not liking NIL.

As a result you have a dwindling number of people willing to support the NIL at a place like UK because there is no guarantee the player plays, or competes to the best of their ability, or finishes the season. These boosters are getting little to no benefit off using these kids for advertising. They are literally paying so the kids come and play and win.

At the schools who haven’t embraced it, the money is already drying up. At the places who have, they are winning and the money is growing.

I get that it was massively irritating and Cal screwed over the fans and program with his "agreement" with the family. He dgaf, though, and never really has. He really means this when he says (Cal, then the draft, then) the players FIRST.

I knew it was coming. He's done it before. He will lie to you straight to your face and not blink or twist AT ALL.

Bottom line, I don't care whether he played. He had no say in it. Cal had already decided. I don't care if someone wasted the money on him, because that's the nature of NIL.

NOW, Cal misrepresenting things to the ATH DEPT, the fans, the team, and the NIL investor.... that's some fkn dirty ash shy, and he should be fired for it, AND have to repay the investor double what he spent on a kid that Cal refused to play. Unethical pos move right there

I can assure you the money paid to Shaedon (and to a lesser extent, Will Levis) left a bad taste in a ton of UK boosters mouths and many of them have pulled out entirely.

UK sees the whole thing as cutting into their advertising money and they think they can just ignore it.

ADVERTISEMENT