ADVERTISEMENT

Nik Scalzo

But it is a pass, it's how it's scored. If you don't like I take it up with the people in charge of scoring games.

But it has nothing to do with how good Terry is. If so maybe we should play Benny Snell at QB, 1/1 35 yards and a TD is quite impressive. But it says nothing about Benny's passing abilities in reality.

It is not a pass, and I am going to use common sense and not count it as one. If you would like to then go ahead. Not going to ruin my day, nor should me not counting it ruin yours.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
This thread reminds me of the UL threads last year that suggested Puma Pass start at QB so Lamar Jackson could play running back and they'd have two players competing for the Heisman.

I think it is a bit different when you consider replacing a Heisman Winning QB vs replacing Terry Wilson. Call me crazy.

It was counted as a pass, but I took it off on this, because its not really a pass. Just like Benny Snell is 1/1 and a 35 yd TD in passing because of the Hughes toss/handoff.
Other QB's who I assume he's being compared against ALL have those stats counted in their totals.

Reactions: Poetax
Other QB's who I assume he's being compared against ALL have those stats counted in their totals.

I was comparing him to no one there. I simply listed his stats to show HIS performances. And those 54 yards have nothing to do with his abilities. Do you disagree or do you believe no other QBs can make that 1 foot toss/handoff? I am using some common sense. And if you want to compare him to other QBs he is still the worst passing QB in the SEC even when counting those 54 yards. Also, I have not witnessed a 50+ yard TD toss like that one this season in the SEC, correct me if im wrong.

Last edited:
It was counted as a pass, but I took it off on this, because its not really a pass. Just like Benny Snell is 1/1 and a 35 yd TD in passing because of the Hughes toss/handoff.

So does a 1 yard screen pass that ends up a 50 yard TD not count either?

Reactions: mrschwump
But it has nothing to do with how good Terry is. If so maybe we should play Benny Snell at QB, 1/1 35 yards and a TD is quite impressive. But it says nothing about Benny's passing abilities in reality.

It is not a pass, and I am going to use common sense and not count it as one. If you would like to then go ahead. Not going to ruin my day, nor should me not counting it ruin yours.
Maybe it doesn't fit your agenda.

So does a 1 yard screen pass that ends up a 50 yard TD not count either?

Uhhh, Yes? Because it is a pass... not a 1 foot toss. Is that a serious question? Screen passes are not as easy as they look. They take a degree of talent. Handing the ball off by tossing it a foot can be done by just about any human being. Why are we even talking about this? The thread is about Nik Scalzo and everyone wants to go insane about me "hating" Terry Wilson. We are the worst passing offense in the SEC. So its pretty reasonable to talk about the "possibility" another QB could start.

Anyone think it is possible he unseats Terry as the starter next season? I will be 100% honest, I was doubtful of Scalzo, but I have watched plays/drives this season and Scalzo is making insane throws all over DBs that have offers from top schools. Has an insane arm for his size. And can make plays with his feet. Running around linebackers who are going to SEC schools. Kid is a pure playmaker.

I think it will be a real QB battle next fall. Terry has made some plays and 5-1 isn't something many UK QBs can say they have done, but definitely hasn't played to a level where he can't be unseated.
He will be red shirted his first year. Where do you think he comes in and replaces our current QB’s?

Reactions: Rembrandt90
He will be red shirted his first year. Where do you think he comes in and replaces our current QB’s?

Because our current QBs are on the team of the worst passing offense in the SEC. I feel like that's a pretty good reason to believe a newcomer could have the opportunity to beat any one of these QBs. Call me crazy. Don't see why many think this is so insane.

Well yeah he has had a "contribution", but to what degree?

The stats are very concerning. Aside from UF, Terry hasn't had contribution that has decided a win in any game. I do not blame the A&M game on him, that's on the staff for going away from what works.

68 passing yards, 2 INT, 38 rushing yards, 1 fumble vs CMU
151 passing yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 105 rushing yards, 1 TD, 1 fumble vs UF
71 passing yards, 1 INT, 18 rushing yards vs MSU
132 passing yards, 1 INT, 59 rushing yards vs SC, TD
54 passing yards, 4 rushing yards vs A&M

This is statistically terrible QB play, is this not how football works? We have the worst passing game in the SEC. In my original post to start the thread I did not gripe about anything, I was curious if anyone thought Scalzo could compete for a job, it was everyone else making accusations and getting emotional that made me bring up Terry's performance.
Those numbers are just the other side of pathetic. GO CATS!!
Because our current QBs are on the team of the worst passing offense in the SEC. I feel like that's a pretty good reason to believe a newcomer could have the opportunity to beat any one of these QBs. Call me crazy. Don't see why many think this is so insane.
I haven't seen enough of any other of our QBs to judge whether or not they are good passers. I have heard that Hoak is more accurate than Wilson and that Clark has a "big" arm. But we will never see them in game action. That's just the way it is with this staff. GO CATS!!

One asks a lot to suggest that Scalzo starts next year. He's an interesting prospect, but the reality is that he would have to beat out FOUR quarterbacks who already playing here, unless any of them leave. Then Gilmore is also a comparable guy in his own class. So if he can beat all of these guys, he must be very good.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Terry has had his ups and down this year, as you'd expect any first year player starting in the SEC. Once he gets some experience under his belt the kid is going to be an awesome player. Unfortunately for him he is learning on the fly. I can't believe some are questioning this kid because he's had a few bad games. It's his first year starting in major college FB and the SEC nonetheless...of course he's going to have some clunkers.

If you can't see that Terry is going to end up being one hell of a player by the time he graduates, then you are a poor evaluator of football talent. We do not have a better option right now, so he's going to have mistakes....he's also going to have moments that make you say wow. As he matures we will start to say wow quite a bit more than we get upset with him.

Terry has had his ups and down this year, as you'd expect any first year player starting in the SEC. Once he gets some experience under his belt the kid is going to be an awesome player. Unfortunately for him he is learning on the fly. I can't believe some are questioning this kid because he's had a few bad games. It's his first year starting in major college FB and the SEC nonetheless...of course he's going to have some clunkers.

If you can't see that Terry is going to end up being one hell of a player by the time he graduates, then you are a poor evaluator of football talent. We do not have a better option right now, so he's going to have mistakes....he's also going to have moments that make you say wow. As he matures we will start to say wow quite a bit more than we get upset with him.
Does Wilson have more raw talent than Clark? That, I don't know, and I also don't know if right now he is a more efficient passer than Hoak.

Danny Clark can throw the ball farther than Terry Wilson.

That's the list of things Danny Clark is better than Wilson at.

He may be on the same level as Hoak as far as passing efficiency right now but Hoak has been in the system for a couple years so if they're even give me the new guy that also runs a legit 4.45 40.

I've said before that I don't follow recruiting...FB or BB but I'm going to say no. I think Terry gets everything figured out.

If you guys remember Nick Marshall from Auburn ---> I think that's what you want out of Terry Wilson. That guy would miss a throw from time to time but he was electric when running in space like Terry and Terry has the same ability arm strength wise as Marshall did. I remember watching that Auburn game gash you with RPO with Marshall or the RB Artis-Payne, then hit you deep to the TE or outside WR for an explosive play. Marshall hit the ground running but he already had a year of football on Wilson when he took over the reigns. His senior year he accounted for 2532 passing yards(60% completion) and 20 TD(7 int) to go along with 798 rushing yards and 11 TD(5.2 ypc). If we can get anywhere close to that out of him I'll be elated.

I hope we don’t have to play a true frosh at QB in the SEC next year. That rarely is a recipe for success.

Just use the caveat *passing stats include only overhand throws*

I'm with you as when looking at QB play, a 6 inch forward toss sweep doesn't factor in to great play...as we could've had the kicker in there and completed that. (Some will say that the defense had to account for Wilson - but replay shows everyone following the sweep).

The stats you posted are telling and troubling.

We are 119th out of 130 in yards per completion (would be even lower without the Snell "pass", the Bowden "toss sweep" and Gunnar Hoaks stats.

We are 107th in yards per attempt. Most smash mouth run teams have much better ypa and ypcompletion. (Army and GT top 2 ranked YPC.)

I agree with this...There is no QB controversy in this program....But as I said before the TAMU game and was screaming during it, Hoak needed a couple of series mid-way through the 3rd quarter with TW struggling so bad. That doesn't hurt TW's development and can give you a chance to win a big game, which every game UK plays is huge at this point.

I would just ask which current UK QBs the OP thinks Scalzo will beat out next year. If he is suggesting Scalzo will start as a true freshman, then I guess he thinks Scalzo will beat out all of them. I have a different view. I don’t think Scalzo will beat out any of them.

That doesn’t mean anything is wrong with Scalzo. But the four current UK QBs are two sophomores and two redshirt freshmen. The memory-impaired minority in our fan base doesn’t believe any of our QBs are any good. One month ago, a lot of these same people were singing TW’s praises. So, a far more likely explanation is that all four QBs are inexperienced freshmen and sophomores on an offense currently dominated by a future NFL RB.

As has been explained before, TW is close to being on the same trajectory as Andre Woodson followed during his sophomore season in 2005. I think TW will be one of the best QBs in the SEC within a year. The concept of a sophomore learning and getting better should not be that hard to comprehend.

Height is way over rated in college.
According to short people, maybe.

We can name short players who have had very good careers. Mark Higgs, Randall Cobb, some others. But they are exceptions. None of UK’s best QBs, and there have been a lot of good ones here, have been as short as Scalzo. That doesn’t mean Scalzo can’t succeed. He can, but he would be an exception. It only stands to reason that a taller QB can see his receivers and throw over outstretched defenders more successfully than a shorter QB, all other things being equal.

Contrary to popular belief, Coach Gran does a pretty good job of adapting his offense to his roster. I attended the spring game, and I noticed Gran rolled the pocket for Walker Wood, who is about 2” taller than Scalzo. If Scalzo were to win the QB job, Gran would adapt our offense to Scalzo’s strengths.

I can’t wait to see how good Terry will be next year! Just my opinion but Terry is the quarterback the next 2 years. He is 5-1 as a starter not sure why so many of you hate the kid so much!

Don't hate TW one little bit but to close a blind eye to his struggles is not being realistic. Outside of the UF game UK has won in spite of his poor play.

I love any QB who helps us win a game. But his job is not solid right now. And aside from Florida, I haven't seen any evidence that he is helping to lead us to those wins. That's the reality that anyone who isn't wearing blue glasses will gladly tell you. If we have good QB play we are an even better team, why on Earth people wouldn't want that is beyond me.

...........and just who is that qb. Now when we name one a stipulation is he has to be on our roster

I think it is a bit different when you consider replacing a Heisman Winning QB vs replacing Terry Wilson. Call me crazy.

Honestly, I hope he comes in and sets the world on fire. But the best other offer he has besides UK is either Akron or FAU. He's not exactly a cant-miss prospect. Again, I'll be happy if he comes in better than everyone else, but I agree more with the poster who compared him to some of our backup QB's.

If you’re asking me I think he was a valuable piece of the team in all 5 wins to a degree that one or more could have been a closer game. In defense of those who posted to you, you did say that he had not played to a level that he couldn’t be unseated, that’s a gripe my friend. I’m just hoping we get back on track against Vandy.
On this board no matter what the comment your going to be in the wrong somewhere no matter what your intentions

Danny Clark can throw the ball farther than Terry Wilson.

That's the list of things Danny Clark is better than Wilson at.

He may be on the same level as Hoak as far as passing efficiency right now but Hoak has been in the system for a couple years so if they're even give me the new guy that also runs a legit 4.45 40.

I don't know that we know all the things Clark is better at than Wilson. Is he more accurate? Does he read defenses better/quicker? Does he have more touch on the long ball? Does he know the offense better? Is he able to check out of bad plays into good plays better? Does he throw a more catchable ball? Does he inspire confidence in his teammates better? There are a lot of variables to playing QB and we haven't seen Clark basically at all so I'm not ready to agree with the only thing he does better is throw farther.

He's physically bigger, for sure. I don't think Clark should be starting (or the staff would start him, obviously). I don't think Hoak should start as, again, the staff believes Wilson is better. Fine. When Wilson struggles badly, as he's done in more than one game regardless of what we consider a pass, I don't think there's any downside to bringing in Hoak/Clark to give the D a different look for a series or two.

As for Scalzo starting next year, I'm sure he'll be given an opportunity but I'd bet a lot of money he doesn't. I'm a little concerned about his size plus, as many others have said, he'll be way behind knowing the offense. Additionally, if he is to get PT, I think Gran will have to roll the pocket more and change up the playcalling quite a bit. Certainly a different set of plays (and perhaps personnel) with playing Scalzo and Hoak. Not sure the OL would be able to adjust to two styles so different on the fly.

Finally, the assumption that Wilson will automatically get better and better is yet to be proven. Did Johnson's accuracy improve over the two years he started? Did Barker and Towles get better each year? Sometimes players just plateau and don't improve. There will undoubtedly be things that Wilson will improve upon merely by having more reps. But accuracy, touch, pocket presence/feel, reading defenses, etc. are not always going to improve due to more reps.

I did not read the entire thread....let me just say this. In 2019 Stoops and Gran better come up with some magic, the defense loses several NFL players of the future and WILL not be as good as 2018

Does Wilson have more raw talent than Clark? That, I don't know, and I also don't know if right now he is a more efficient passer than Hoak.

Good thing we have coaches that watch the three of them everyday that decided for us. Also, those guys get paid to field winning teams, so I don't think they'd be sitting guys who they think would give us a better chance of winning.

Reactions: jauk11 and Poetax
Does the name Jaylen Hurts ring a bell?

Didn’t realize this kid coming in was another Tau. If he is then play him of course. I doubt he is since Bama has been searching for. QB like this since Saban has been there and he gets the pick of the littler

Doubt all 3 of our present qbs will be on the roster next season. Nik may be #2 before practice starts. Playmakers are playmakers. I think he will be good

I did not read the entire thread....let me just say this. In 2019 Stoops and Gran better come up with some magic, the defense loses several NFL players of the future and WILL not be as good as 2018

You worry way too much. I want them to come up with magic this year, lol.

True, but then a lot of fans didn't think we would be very good this year either. I am impressed with a lot of the younger talent we have been bringing in. We have been able to redshirt a lot of good talent also..

I don't know that we know all the things Clark is better at than Wilson. Is he more accurate? Does he read defenses better/quicker? Does he have more touch on the long ball? Does he know the offense better? Is he able to check out of bad plays into good plays better? Does he throw a more catchable ball? Does he inspire confidence in his teammates better? There are a lot of variables to playing QB and we haven't seen Clark basically at all so I'm not ready to agree with the only thing he does better is throw farther.

He's physically bigger, for sure. I don't think Clark should be starting (or the staff would start him, obviously). I don't think Hoak should start as, again, the staff believes Wilson is better. Fine. When Wilson struggles badly, as he's done in more than one game regardless of what we consider a pass, I don't think there's any downside to bringing in Hoak/Clark to give the D a different look for a series or two.

As for Scalzo starting next year, I'm sure he'll be given an opportunity but I'd bet a lot of money he doesn't. I'm a little concerned about his size plus, as many others have said, he'll be way behind knowing the offense. Additionally, if he is to get PT, I think Gran will have to roll the pocket more and change up the playcalling quite a bit. Certainly a different set of plays (and perhaps personnel) with playing Scalzo and Hoak. Not sure the OL would be able to adjust to two styles so different on the fly.

Finally, the assumption that Wilson will automatically get better and better is yet to be proven. Did Johnson's accuracy improve over the two years he started? Did Barker and Towles get better each year? Sometimes players just plateau and don't improve. There will undoubtedly be things that Wilson will improve upon merely by having more reps. But accuracy, touch, pocket presence/feel, reading defenses, etc. are not always going to improve due to more reps.
Mr. Scalzo will be red shirted. End of conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT