ADVERTISEMENT

Nik Scalzo

TTU/UK fan

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2011
Anyone think it is possible he unseats Terry as the starter next season? I will be 100% honest, I was doubtful of Scalzo, but I have watched plays/drives this season and Scalzo is making insane throws all over DBs that have offers from top schools. Has an insane arm for his size. And can make plays with his feet. Running around linebackers who are going to SEC schools. Kid is a pure playmaker.

I think it will be a real QB battle next fall. Terry has made some plays and 5-1 isn't something many UK QBs can say they have done, but definitely hasn't played to a level where he can't be unseated.

I hope he that good !! He only about 5-11 ,not sure he better than walker woods who is a similar type I hope someone steps up that for sure

Number 21 ranked dual threat quarterback, runs a 4.8 40, is 5-11 and 180 lbs, who we beat out Akron for, and went 9-19 and 75 yards in high school last night?

No. He will not be battling for starting position next year as a true freshman in the SEC. When Terry graduates, then he might be good starting quarterback ready to go. Rankings and physical gifts and other schools who recruited you are sometimes wrong and people develop. They're not that wrong.

I can’t wait to see how good Terry will be next year! Just my opinion but Terry is the quarterback the next 2 years. He is 5-1 as a starter not sure why so many of you hate the kid so much!
Dude don’t you know we lost to A&M??? What a terrible loss!!!! Jk. Tired of ignorance

This thread has zero to do with the A&M game. It has to do with Scalzo looking like a playmaker.

We are statistically the worst passing team in the SEC and our QB has 3 passing TDs (one of which was the 1 foot toss/handoff to Bowden) and 5 INTs.... Yet I am an ignorant hater to question whether our starting QB could "possibly" be unseated. The good ole Lair.

Yes, we are 5-1, but that does not, in ANY sport, mean that every position is solid. Our QB position is not solid, and anyone outside of this program can tell you that.

Number 21 ranked dual threat quarterback, runs a 4.8 40, is 5-11 and 180 lbs, who we beat out Akron for, and went 9-19 and 75 yards in high school last night?

No. He will not be battling for starting position next year as a true freshman in the SEC. When Terry graduates, then he might be good starting quarterback ready to go. Rankings and physical gifts and other schools who recruited you are sometimes wrong and people develop. They're not that wrong.

They were playing American Heritage...A team they had lost to for the last 11 years. A top 25 national team (until now because Cardinal Gibbons won). And Scalzo had a beautiful throw on the first TD drive. He plays in one of the hardest HS divisions. He isn't going to light up the scoreboard every week. Even though I know he had a 6 TD game already this year.

And since when have QB rankings translated to what happens on the field here at UK? The highly rated Morgan Newton, Patrick Towles, and Drew Barker really panned out.

I think there will be a QB competition in the Spring and if someone is noticeably better than TW that person will get the job. Close or a tie will go to TW.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Anyone think it is possible he unseats Terry as the starter next season? I will be 100% honest, I was doubtful of Scalzo, but I have watched plays/drives this season and Scalzo is making insane throws all over DBs that have offers from top schools. Has an insane arm for his size. And can make plays with his feet. Running around linebackers who are going to SEC schools. Kid is a pure playmaker.

I think it will be a real QB battle next fall. Terry has made some plays and 5-1 isn't something many UK QBs can say they have done, but definitely hasn't played to a level where he can't be unseated.

Sure. TW leads the team to a 10-2 top 10 ranking and loses the job. I like it.

Reactions: Chump Change X
I'm just tickled that any player that we are getting is having a good year and we're getting good depth. We don't need this kid to be a pro football QB, we just need him to be the best COLLEGE QB that he can be.

Sure. TW leads the team to a 10-2 top 10 ranking and loses the job. I like it.

I love any QB who helps us win a game. But his job is not solid right now. And aside from Florida, I haven't seen any evidence that he is helping to lead us to those wins. That's the reality that anyone who isn't wearing blue glasses will gladly tell you. If we have good QB play we are an even better team, why on Earth people wouldn't want that is beyond me.

Reactions: bratboy
Lots of shorter qbs leading their teams to great seasons. Mayfield and the NFL’s all time leading yards qb to name 2. Height is way over rated in college.

I think this board may be worse after we start winning. Or maybe certain posters just have no idea how to enjoy success. Regardless the Wilson talk since A&M has been insufferable.

Yes, he needs to improve. He’s made six D1 starts. Writing him off already is completely ignorant and idiotic. No other way to put it.

They were playing American Heritage...A team they had lost to for the last 11 years. A top 25 national team (until now because Cardinal Gibbons won). And Scalzo had a beautiful throw on the first TD drive. He plays in one of the hardest HS divisions. He isn't going to light up the scoreboard every week. Even though I know he had a 6 TD game already this year.

And since when have QB rankings translated to what happens on the field here at UK? The highly rated Morgan Newton, Patrick Towles, and Drew Barker really panned out.
I wouldn't lump Towles in that group. He was pretty solid in Neal Brown's offense with over 2700 yards, 14 TD and 9 INT but collapsed under that jackass Shannon Dawson, who neglected his running ability and forced him to stay in the pocket.

I think this board may be worse after we start winning. Or maybe certain posters just have no idea how to enjoy success. Regardless the Wilson talk since A&M has been insufferable.

He’s a fountain of misplaced rage. Name your cliche; Mother held him too much or not enough, last picked at kickball, late night sneaky uncle, whatever. Now he’s so angry that moments of levity actually cause him pain; give him headaches. Happiness, for that gentleman, hurts.

con-gsr.jpg

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I think one of our QB's will transfer. None of us know who will be the QB next year. I think Wilson will have the inside edge, but I believe Wilson hurt himself with the feet first slide against TA&M, in overtime. If I was a coach, I would wonder why he didn't lower his shoulder to get the extra yard, especially with the game on the line in overtime. We all realize football is a physical game, so sometimes the QB, especially if he is a dual QB, has to be physical.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Benny Snell and the defense are leading them to 10-2.
If Benny gets the ball that is. If Coach Stoops did nothing else during the bye week, I hope he introduced Benny to the OC and advised him Benny is a good running back. In the heat of the action the OC seems to have forgotten that. Or maybe the OC needs to introduce Benny to Stoops. What ever it is, get it corrected by next Saturday.

Benny Snell is our Jim Brown

I love any QB who helps us win a game. But his job is not solid right now. And aside from Florida, I haven't seen any evidence that he is helping to lead us to those wins. That's the reality that anyone who isn't wearing blue glasses will gladly tell you. If we have good QB play we are an even better team, why on Earth people wouldn't want that is beyond me.

Because he didn’t really help us win the A&M game shouldn’t be a reason to ignore his contribution in the 5 wins. That’s not blue glasses, that’s understanding how football work. Plus if anybody had a good QB, they would have a better team, doesn’t take a genius to figure that one out and yes everyone would want that. In the end I hope no one on the team is guaranteed a starting role just because they started the previous year but unlike you I’m not going to gripe about it until the rest of the season plays out.

Reactions: jnewc2

Nothing in sports is predictable. But you can just about count on Scalzo and Gilmore redshirting. Wilson had a bad game, but he will get better. He isn’t even close to losing his job. And if he does, it won’t be to a freshman when there are 4 returning QBs ahead of them. Even if someone leaves, I still think both QBs will redshirt.

Because he didn’t really help us win the A&M game shouldn’t be a reason to ignore his contribution in the 5 wins. That’s not blue glasses, that’s understanding how football work. Plus if anybody had a good QB, they would have a better team, doesn’t take a genius to figure that one out and yes everyone would want that. In the end I hope no one on the team is guaranteed a starting role just because they started the previous year but unlike you I’m not going to gripe about it until the rest of the season plays out.

Well yeah he has had a "contribution", but to what degree?

The stats are very concerning. Aside from UF, Terry hasn't had contribution that has decided a win in any game. I do not blame the A&M game on him, that's on the staff for going away from what works.

68 passing yards, 2 INT, 38 rushing yards, 1 fumble vs CMU
151 passing yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 105 rushing yards, 1 TD, 1 fumble vs UF
71 passing yards, 1 INT, 18 rushing yards vs MSU
132 passing yards, 1 INT, 59 rushing yards vs SC, TD
54 passing yards, 4 rushing yards vs A&M

This is statistically terrible QB play, is this not how football works? We have the worst passing game in the SEC. In my original post to start the thread I did not gripe about anything, I was curious if anyone thought Scalzo could compete for a job, it was everyone else making accusations and getting emotional that made me bring up Terry's performance.

The stats are very concerning. Aside from UF, Terry hasn't had contribution that has decided a win in any game. I do not blame the A&M game on him, that's on the staff for going away from what works.

This is statistically terrible QB play, is this not how football works? We have the worst passing game in the SEC. In my original post to start the thread I did not gripe about anything, I was curious if anyone thought Scalzo could compete for a job, it was everyone else making accusations and getting emotional that made me bring up Terry's performance.

If you’re asking me I think he was a valuable piece of the team in all 5 wins to a degree that one or more could have been a closer game. In defense of those who posted to you, you did say that he had not played to a level that he couldn’t be unseated, that’s a gripe my friend. I’m just hoping we get back on track against Vandy.

It seems disturbing to keep signing quarterbacks that can't throw the ball very accurately beyond 10 yards or have the ones who are supposed to be pocket passers transfer due to no playing time. How can you be rated the 16th best dual threat QB (Rivals) and struggle throwing the ball? Are most dual threat QB's from option offenses? What's harder to do, teach a running QB how to pass or a passing QB how to run when pressured? I hope Wilson develops his passing game because it will suck to have no passing and no Snell the next 2 years.

Reactions: vikingfer

Was Bowdens td a run in Texas am game?

It seems disturbing to keep signing quarterbacks that can't throw the ball very accurately beyond 10 yards or have the ones who are supposed to be pocket passers transfer due to no playing time. How can you be rated the 16th best dual threat QB (Rivals) and struggle throwing the ball? Are most dual threat QB's from option offenses? What's harder to do, teach a running QB how to pass or a passing QB how to run when pressured? I hope Wilson develops his passing game because it will suck to have no passing and no Snell the next 2 years.

With only 6 games into this season I guess we will just have to wait and see.

It was counted as a pass, but I took it off on this, because its not really a pass. Just like Benny Snell is 1/1 and a 35 yd TD in passing because of the Hughes toss/handoff.
But it is a pass, it's how it's scored. If you don't like I take it up with the people in charge of scoring games.

This thread reminds me of the UL threads last year that suggested Puma Pass start at QB so Lamar Jackson could play running back and they'd have two players competing for the Heisman.

ADVERTISEMENT